4.1
Blue Bell
Blue Bell  Ice Cream

Blue Bell Ice Cream

4.1

Blue Bell ice cream is better than ever these days!

I grew up in the good old days when you bought your salt, your ice and all your other ingredients and sat out in the garage all day cranking away on the arm of the ice cream keg. It was usually a family, or even a neighborhood, affair and the end result was well worth all the effort. Perfectly crafted handmade ice cream with just the right texture and flavor. In fact, if you wanted good ice cream back then, that was about the only way you got it.

Around the early 70's that old pasttime came to an abrupt end when word got around that the little creamery in Brenham, Tx. had started expanding and would soon begin selling in the Houston market. There was some skepticism, at first, followed by years of unbridled gluttony as we all discovered the joy and convenience of being able to go into a grocers and walk out with a whole half gallon of incredible ice cream, something that would have meant hours of hard labor before then.

Of course, other brands have come along since then, just as Blue Bell has continued to increase its markets across the South. I've given most of the competitors a try, including the elite ones, and have come to the simple conclusion that, just as their ads proclaim, Blue Bell really is the best ice cream in the country. The main reasons? Quality control and fresh ingredients. To quote their company leader, "The milk we use is so fresh it was grass only yesterday." That commitment to quality is why Blue Bell has been slow to expand in spite of strong demand.

My favorites change from time to time but they're all good, even the stranger ones (remember Blueberry Cheesecake?)  Currently I am hooked on both the chococlate chip mint and the peppermint but every Saturday my mood changes and I never know what I'll come home with. Their Homemade Vanilla and Dutch Chocolate are classic favorites and if you can't make up your mind then Neopolitan (vanilla, chocolate and strawberry evenly divided under one lid) is an easy choice.

Pour a little milk over a big bowl full of neopolitan and think back to all those rainy Saturdays spent cranking away at that bucket out in the garage. The old days are never really that far away, afterall. They just got better when Blue Bell came to town.

Quality Has Decline Considerably

Bluebell ice cream purchased in the Greenville, NC area is terribly. The quality is much....much....much less than that I experienced for several years in the Atlanta, Ga area. The Butter Pecan is without flavor and pecans are only on the surface level versus throughout the ice cream. The Vanilla is without flavor. Perhaps the ice cream distributed in the Greenville, NC area is from a different creamery. I have thrown out at least 4 gallons of butter pecan and vanilla with one gallon in the freezer of which after tasting I plan to throw out as well. I had been stocking up when on sale which is why I had so many gallons to throw out. I will not be purchasing any more Blue Bell Ice Cream given the significant decline in quality. The only way to communicate my dismay to Blue Bell is with written correspondence in that there is no way to communicate via email and no clear way to contact via phone.

GRAINY, not creamy at all, doesnt' melt.

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

I bought Blue Bell butter pecan for Thanksgiving and it is the worst ice cream EVER. It's grainy, almost sandy textured, I let it set out on the counter for an hour thinking it might seem creamier if it got melted, but it wouldn't melt at all. Weird. Don't know if this was just a bad batch or if this is the way Blue Bell is, but I wouldn't waste any money on trying it again.

Quality Has Decline Considerably

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

The best vanilla ice cream at the grocery!

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

The Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream is by far the creamiest and best tasting vanilla ice cream available at the grocery stores. I love the authentic vanilla flavor and it tastes very fresh and creamy. When it goes on sale, I usually try to purchase multiple half gallons so that we never run out. My family prefers this vanilla ice cream over Breyers and Edys for sure. It is the only ice cream that actually is still sold in a full half gallon size. The homemade flavor is similar to the old fashioned taste that you can get at a local ice cream parlor. This ice cream is also sold in smaller sizes like pints if you are looking for a sampler. There are no vanilla bean flecks in this ice cream as you will find in other brands. I highly recommend this brand and flavor of ice cream. It is not hard to find at your local grocery. The other flavors also have a very authentic taste, but none are as delicious as the Homemade Vanilla flavor from Blue Bell!

It is a good ice cream, but has corn syrup

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

Blue Bell was my most favorite ice cream, but it now has corn syrup in it (instead of sugar) and it doesn't taste the same anymore. The homemade vanilla is very good, and I still eat it on occasion. Hopefully at some point, they will put sugar back instead of corn syrup.

No better ICECREAM out there !

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

Bluebell Ice Cream is the best in the market. The vanilla is like the "old fashioned homemade" ice cream we made as children. The texture is good too, sometimes other brands have an icy taste and feeling. Not with Bluebell...You will always get the freshest and best taste to your palate ever.

The BEST ice cream!

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

I love ice cream and Blue Bell makes the best! Their ice cream is so rich and full of flavor. It is a decadent treat. It comes in many varieties. My favorite is Red Velvet Cake-it tastes just like the cake! I also love homemade in the shade. Some other flavors include Cherry Vanilla, Pistachio, Chocolate, Butter Pecan, Blueberry cobbler, and more!

Blue Bell is the worst ice cream in the country!

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

I'm a native Texan. And in Texas, saying you don't like Blue Bell is like saying you don't like your Mother. But the only outstanding thing about Blue Bell is their advertising. Their folksy ads have brainwashed a lot of people into thinking their third-rate product is the best ice cream in the world. A perfect example of this is their strawberry ice cream...or more accurately, strawberry "flavored" ice cream. It contains artificial flavors and is the same color as Pepto-Bismol. I dare you to compare the list of ingredients, color, texture, and flavor of their strawberry ice cream to the one made by Haagen-Dazs. Go ahead. Compare. If you do, you'll see there's really no comparison. Blue Bell is made for children who don't know the difference.

Blue Bell for Life

from Mount Juliet, TN

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

I have been eating Blue Bell Ice-cream since I was little. I have eaten many ice-creams all over the world and many places here in the U.S. and their is no better. Being brought up in Texas Blue Bell is abundant. The taste of the homemade vanilla will knock your socks off. With great ingredients and a company that takes pride in what they do, you cannot go wrong with Blue Bell. All of their flavors are great, but my personal favorite is Vanilla. The golden rim is a trademark in my house. Buy your family a special treat tonight and I promise you will not be disappointed!! Once you buy it once you will buy it for life!!!

It is great.

from Shelby, MS

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

This ice cream is right on time. I would highly recommend it to everyone. This ice cream is creamy and so soft to eat.  If you have not tried it, please treat yourself to some.  It comes in a variety of different flavors.  I really enjoy the homemade vanilla.  It reminds me of my grandma when you used to make it by hand.  This ice cream is so delicious to eat.  It will satisfy your urge for some good eating dessert.  One way you can eat it is with some hot brownies and put the ice cream on top.  This will really satisfy your insatiable craving for something sweet.  This ice cream is worth every penny, nickel, dime, and quarter that it cost.  It is fulling and not too sweet to your taste buds.  So, if you want something nice to relax and enjoy alone or with your family this is it.  Why not invite a close friend over to share this ice cream with.  Your friend will thank you for such a good time.  Your friend will share this information and good eating with everyone.  If you work outside the home, why not take some to share with your co-workers? They will thank you for such a good and wonderful time.  Invite your mother and father over for a nice family dinner and top it off with this delicious ice cream with some hot brownies.  They will love you even more and thank you from the bottom of their hearts.  One day maybe you and your spouse can share some at a recreational park.  This will bring the two of you closer together and you will enjoy one another's company.  Your spouse will thank you a million times over.  Tell each and everyone you meet about this superb ice cream and they will thank you.  Why not share it with each and everyone you know.

It really is almost like homemade

from San Marcos, TX

Comments about Blue Bell Ice Cream:

Blue Bell is the **BEST** ice cream you can buy at the grocery store.  It doesn't last very long in the freezer as it's gets eaten soooo quickly.  It's got a wonderful creamy and smooth texture...it's just awesome.  We have even had some sent to my mother in law who lives where they don't sale it.