3.5
Models:
DU850SWPQ, DU850SWPB, DU850SWPS
Whirlpool Built-in Dishwasher

Way too loud.

Though this dishwasher does fine for basic washing and moderate use, I found that it was just too loud to handle. I wear hearing aids and I thought it was excessively noisy, so that should really tell you something. It isn't a spectacular enough dishwasher to make up for that kind of sound. It was just too disruptive. Noise Level As I mentioned, it was just far too loud for my taste. It was loud enough that it made it hard to hear the TV from a room away. Cleaning Time The cleaning time is pretty average, maybe a hair slower than I would prefer. Loading Flexibility I had a little trouble fitting everything even when I wasn't cramming it full. I wish it were a little easier to fit things into it. Performance Performance is pretty average. Sometiems I had to rewash items with heavier stains on them. Design The design isn't really anything to write home about. It's not really unattractive and not really pretty. Durability It did hold up pretty well against our heavy use. We used it at least once a day, oftentimes twice, and it stayed strong.

Whirlpool Built-in

This whirlpool built-in was the dishwasher that the builder installed into my kitchen when we bought our new home. I did not get the select the one I wanted but I really have no complaints with this one except that the silverware basket is too small for all the silverware that I need to wash at one time. So I ordered one just like the basket in my machine so I could double the capacity. Now I havve no problem with washing all of my silverware at the same time. I do think Whirlpool should put large silverware baskets into their machines because the cost of purchasing one by itself seems too high. This dishwasher is moderately quiet but because my kitchen connects to the living area with an open wall, it is sometimes difficult to hear the tv while washing dishes. Therefore, I have to make sure that I do dishes while my hubby is at work and not leave it until the evening. Otherwise, I am happy with the job that this machine does for my household.

Flint, TX

Not too hot...

Ok, so this dishwasher is all right considering the benefit of the smaller size which is what I needed but I really can't say it compares to my son's workhorse that I observed in his home. That thing cleans like a monster chewing food off the dishes. This one you have to kind of babysit. One thing I discovered recently is that I hadn't been using hot enough water to get the dishes clean. My hot water heater gave out on me and was only producing warm water for awhile. It took me a bit to realize that was the culprit. I ended up getting a new hot water heater and when I used the dishwasher after that, wahlaa, beautiful sparkling dishes. So I guess really hot water is what is needed to make these dishwashers clean your dishes really well. Makes sense. The other thing as I stated earlier is rinsing dishes off helps. But my son can load his with chunks of food on and never rinses and his turn out beautifully. Why can't they make a smaller dishwasher that works like that? Some people live in smaller homes and apartments and need to save cubboard space so they can't have these monster dishwashers. So, as I stated if I rinse the dishes off and make sure I"m using hot water I have a pretty good result. I also use liquid dish detergent and don't overfill. When I used powder the lid on the cup got glued shut from the gummy detergent and wouldn't open during the cycle. One other major point is placement of the dishes. If you don't place your dishes so that they are fully open to all surfaces being cleaned some areas are blocked and water can't hit them. This is what I meant when I said I have to babysit this dishwasher as I've had to open it and check to be sure that all surfaces of dishes are getting cleaned and sometimes have had to readjust the dishes. The monster dishwasher my son has doesn't seem to have this problem. So I must say my dishes do get clean but I wish I didn't have to fool so much with them to get to that point. Cleaning Time Don't put it on Pots and pans and they get clean sooner. Design It gets this rating due to the fact that it's smaller. Durability Have had to have a couple minor repairs.

not the best

Even though we were happen to get this dishwasher with our house, it isn't always the best at cleaning. There have been times, especially with drinking glasses, that we have had to wash them by hand, after they went through the dishwasher. There's a decent amount of clearance between and top and bottom racks, and I'm able to fit the crockpot comfortably in the bottom along with other pots and pans. I can also fit my 16 qt stockpot on the bottom with plenty of space to spare. Noise Level Makes quite a bit of noise while running through the wash cycle and well as the dry cycle. Cleaning Time I usually run it on normal and don't do a pre-wash because I hate how long it takes for it to complete a cycle. I almost never let it run through the dry cycle in order to save on electricity. Performance Doesn't always clean the items on the top rack well. Design Average machine. Easy to use and turn on. If you overshoot the option you're going for, you have to go all the way back to the beginning and start again.

true

A great easy to use dishwasher

Most rental homes come with a dishwasher, so I never really get to pick one out. I have moved so many times in my life that I almost feel like an appliance expert! When we first moved in I was skeptical because the dishwasher had been there for a while and looked kind of old. I also noticed that there was a lot of settings (water temp, cycle length, heavy, delay start etc.) that a lot of your basic dishwashers don't have. We tried out using it with dishes that were just rinsed off, but still had food and residue on them and they all came out clean. I noticed that a lot of people have had issues with dishes not coming out clean, but sometimes that is the soap and not the dishwashers fault. I never had a problem with that. It does run kind of loud, but most older appliances do. I would recommend this to someone who needs an easy to use and efficient dishwasher, and doesn't want to shell out too much money.

Undisclosed

Bad for dishes?

I haven't had a lot of experience with several different brands of dishwashers, but I don't find this one very acceptable. We've put up with it for several years now, but I don't think I'll be able to take much more. We run it probably every other day but so often, I'm disappointed when taking the dishes out of it. Water spots, dried food stuck to dishes and filmy, white residue and cloudiness that I can't seem to scrape off the pots and pans, glass cups and now our plates. We have cleaned the dishwasher, removed any food from the bottom, scrubbed it out, used rinse agents, you name it, but with only small benefit. I would rather wash the dishes by hand to know they're getting cleaned but don't always have the time. I'm not sure if the dishwasher is strictly to blame, but I am wagering on buying a new one to see if we get better results. Probably won't be getting another Whirlpool though! Noise Level It's not extremely noisy by any means, but can get bothersome when watching a movie in the other room. Performance Dried food, white residue, cloudiness, dirtier dishes than before they went in.

Prior Lake, MN

false

The small detergent door doesn't open during wash.

I have had this dishwasher in two different houses (two different machines) and both times, I have had the same problem. When I put the detergent in the little compartment on the inside of the door, it never opens during the wash. I finish a whole load, open it up, and it is still in there. I then have to put it in the bottom of the dishwasher, and do it again! I just wasted a lot of water! I started buying the detergent tabs to throw in the bottom in hopes that they would dissolve at a slower pace and perhaps do the same job as if it were released slowly though the door. All in all, I am pleased with the performance as long as I don't put the detergent in the door.

Mooresville, NC

Good quality.

I really like this Whirlpool dishwasher. We have had it for a few years. It cleans really well, and works well with any brand of dish detergent (whether it's store-brand or name brand, power or liquid). We only really use the normal wash cycle and the air dry buttons, so I'm not sure how well the other options work. It does seem to take a while to get everything washed, but 95% of the time everything comes out really clean (even without pre-rinsing). I think it's reasonably priced as well considering some of the options out there. It would be nice if dishwashers came with more safety features for children, as this one is easily accessible (and intriguing) to my 18 month old. He can easily open the door and push all of the buttons, and with it being built-in, it's hard to find a safety latch the really works. OVerall though, it's a great buy for the price.

true

Solid Dishwasher and I love the sanitize cycle!

This dishwasher does not have tons of bells and whistles but it does everything that we need it to do. The cycle I like the best is the sanitize cycle during the winter months and during cold and flu season at our house. Loading Flexibility We have the tall tub which makes it nice to load large items into. Performance The jet dry dispenser stopped working and we would go through a whole bottle in a couple of weeks. I decided to just us the power tabs with the red ball of jet dry already there - it has really helped.

Bountiful, UT

Horrible and Cheap Product

We moved into our home with the set of the whirlpool gold. The dishwasher was only 5 years old but the tracks for the baskets were broken and when we went to use the dishwasher the dishes looked dirty still and stank. I thought maybe this was a fluke but out matching stove malfunctioned and turned on by itself and would not shut off causing us to have to unplug it and buy a new one because the cost of fixing them would have been too much. Finally our fridge is a french door and the doors do not close properly and our condenser leaks. What a mess of a product.

Somers, NY