Other Grills:
Charcoal Grills, Portable Grills
Weber

Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill

Pros

• Cooks efficiently (3)
  • Portable (3)

Cons

• Small grilling surface (4)

• For self/couple (4)
  • Small gatherings (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Occasional griller (3)

Portable and Efficient

We have always had a large gas grill with a huge cooking surface combined side cooking space for extra things. We also kept a huge charcoal barrel grill for when we wanted that charcoal flavor. On top of that we had a smoker for turkeys and hams. They were all great but whenever we traveled to picnic areas or planned a camping trip we were unable to take our large grills and smoker of course. This created the problem of always making sure we either had an alternative way to cook or borrow some sort of grilling appliance from someone. Finally we saw this w=one grill on sale and although we had never bought one like this before we knew the name brand and the price was certainly right. Still we doubted it could work as well as the larger grills so we were prepared for a disappointment in the flavor when we first used it. We were amazed and surprised by how well the flavor came through. We cooked burgers, chicken, hot dos and sausage and all well wonderful and cooked perfectly. The spareribs were the only meat not quite as good as on the larger grills. This now is being used even for when we have a meal for just the 4 of us instead of opening the bigger grills although the main use is still for when we camp or travel. This was a true surprise bargain. I plan to purchase a back-up since we use this one so much.

Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill

This is a great little grill with two exceptions, first, there are no handles on the side, so when it is hot you can't move it, second, the damper is ALL metal and gets very hot so the only way to change the damper is with a glove or grill tool. it could use a lock for the lid

great for banking coals, smoking meats and fish, and grilling cooks evenly, has the right amount of air for smoking, but could still use some improvements.

Versatility
it needs handles to make it more portable. and need lid locks of some kind.

for a grill it adds just the right amount of smoke flavor. cooks evenly, easy to bank the coals, or for use with a smoker box.

easy to clean, just dust the outside with dry rag or paper towel, dumping the ashes is easy, usually all coals fire to ash ratio is wonderful, and grill racks are durable and easy to clean.

the last smokey joe lasted for 5 seasons, this one is even better. easy to use and to take for travel

if I could have a wish list with this little grill, I would add dampers on the sides for smoking purposes, and handles on the side for portability, I would like to see more accessories for this grill, heavier racks and a higher dome lid. It really needs a lock of some kind for the lid for transport and smoking meats.

This grill is very good

from Caio,Egypt

About Me Occasional Griller

Pros

• Adds Flavor To Meal
  • Cooks Efficiently
  • Portable

Cons

• Small Grilling Surface

• Great Searing
  • Indirect Cooking
  • Portable Use

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

This product is very good I bought it the last year to my dad in his birthday because he love grilling like me. He likes it very much and its design. Its design is beautifull and it does not take place in the garden or the balcony. It is ssuitable for different houses and families. Honestly the only disadvantage in it that its grilling surface is small but it is not very small. I advice any one that love grilling to buy it

WEBER SMOKEY JOE PORTABLE GRILL

from chicago ill

About Me Occasional Griller

Pros

• Portable

Cons

• Small Grilling Surface

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

this is a small round grill a bit smaller then the square grill good for one or two people
a bit harder to cook on laying out and turning your food over the coals are better in the
center of the grill but be were the flame might get higher all at once have a spray bottle with water handy
so your food dose not burn make sure the top and bottom vents are open so air
gets in to help with lowing the flame
this bbq grill is good for small and thinner foods like hamburger hot dogs sausage
steak and kabobs on a stick with tomatos onions and green peppers and red peppers
you can cook half pieces of corn on the cob or small potatos or any veg you like
wrapped in foil watch the coals so they do not burn out you can add a bit more
you can warm your hot dog and hamburger buns on the grill but lay a piece of foil
down first if you want to make cheese burgers toast the bun first then add the cheese it will melt faster now you are ready to put your buger on the bun
toasting marshmellos on a stick can be fun there are all kinds they cook fast
also good on gram crackers a grate desert when you are all done let your grill cool down and make sure you put your coals out with water

I would definitely buy this product again

from Danville, Il

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

This Grill is the perfect go to grilling option. In the summertime are usually go for something like something compatible and something easy to use. This Weber grill is perfect for on-the-go small occasions even large occasions where you can personally Grill your own food. Usually me and my friends when we get together in the summer or even in the winter which is the best time to eat BBQ, we usually will have a grill about this side it's perfect. What I don't like about the small Grill is the cleanup is a mess like any other Grill but when it's on the go and you're trying to just see no pack it up and know any or evening it is a bit messy. The legs on the grill 10 to get weak very fast almost kind of like the holes with a screw gold have been just ruined. It will also leave after long use for intermediate use of the grill. But the quality of the food being smoked and grilled by this Weber grill is really good Cooks the food fast Cooks the food thoroughly has a great taste and everyone usually enjoys it. I've been using this product for years perfect go to the beach in the Summer perfect go to the grill some food fast with in the winter time. I would definitely buy this product again to use year-round it's perfect it's small it's handy it does its job and it's so easy to carry around with you. Weber grill did a wonderful job on making this small Grill it's perfect.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Good outdoor grill!

from India

Pros

• Adds Flavor To Meal
  • Cooks Efficiently

Cons

• Difficult Setup
  • Small Grilling Surface

• Large Gatherings

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

I go outdoors quite often and this grill is my companion. It's size is just perfect and cooks food amazing fast. Unfortunately, there is not much room to grill at the same time.
It cooks items quite fast and the handles are not troublesome to hold and stays cool while cooking.
Versatility
Have not tried too much cooking while staying outdoors, but it does a great job till now with whatever items I cooked on it.
The only problem with this grill is the setup. However, once you achieve that it is not tough to use.
Cleaning it is also very easy, just use some soda and water and it will be cleaned in minutes.
Since I travel a lot with this grill, it suffered a lot in my journey. However, it stays true to its quality and stands firmly against all those potential damages.

Portable and Efficient

from Bulverde, TX

About Me Occasional Griller

Pros

• Cooks Efficiently
  • Portable

Cons

• Small Grilling Surface

• Portable Use

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

Perfect for grilling for two people

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

Overall the grill is perfect for two people, and I love that it is portable. I have been a die-hard Weber grill user, and for me this has been the best option because of traveling so much. I would especially recommend this product to RV-ers or campers who like to hit the remote places, and a grill isn't provided. This grill is also great to take to the beach. Cleaning it is easy, on the rack itself if you get too much build up use a little oven cleaner, and a wire brush, and the build-up will come right off. It has the hole in the bottom to let out your ashes which is very convenient. I love the durability of this grill because I have had mine since 2001, and it has stood the test of time. It performs just like the larger models but of course it's a smaller package. The design is also great because you can bring it anywhere you would like to go, and it will not take up a lot of room in your vehicle. I will continue to use my Weber until I need to replace it, which doesn't look like anytime soon.

• Versatility:

We love our portable grill

from Port Lavaca, TX

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

This is a great grill! We use ours when we go camping. My husband like to smoke as well as grill but smoking in the bbq pits at the camp sites is impossible. It is the perfect size to grill up a main course for my husband, 2 young children, and myself. There isn't enough room to grill any sides at the same time as our meat though.We were a little worried that we would have problems with it rusting or the paint chipping but this grill has shown no signs of wear or rust. The only complaint was the installation. My husband is the one that put it together and got irritated several times.

It does a great job at holding in smoke when we smoke meat. The handle stays nice and cool when cooking too.

Versatility
Very convenient for taking camping. It would also be great for tailgating or gatherings at a park.

Very simple and easy to use.

We usually scoop out most of the ashes and after each trip it makes, we tip it over and spray it out.

We were definitely worried that with it being hauled in the bed of a truck and being used out in the woods the majority of the time that there would be some flaking in the paint or rust spots. We have had no trouble with either.

We love that it does a great job of holding in smoke but there is still the option of opening the vent on top.

Gets the job done!

from Alexandria, VA

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

This little grill is great for small spaces, such as if you live in an apartment or taking it to the beach. Very portable.

With this small grill, I noticed that even when I evened out the coal, it will not heat all around the coal. For example, the middle was hotter than the coals around the center. Cooking was still ok, but didn't heat the coals around the center.

ok for small grill outs

from Ellerslie GA

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

I have previously and in past purchased and used this Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill and I like it ok. I can say that I found this grill very convenient and easy to use. You just ad the charcoal and light it and wa la you can cook anything you want on it. I have to say that I found this grill to be good if you are grilling for only one or two people. You can cook all meats on this grill although I found you could not cook a lot at one time. This Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill is not really easy to clean. It does require a lot of elbow grease to clean it and you never get all the charcoal out so I found that it was not good as a portable grill after all. I used it only at home. I found that it was made to last as it lasted me a few years before it was no longer useable. I can say one positive thing about this Weber grill is the price. It is priced very reasonable and is affordable for most all budgets. I would recommend it for anyone who is wanting a small grill at home.

Nice Little Grill

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Weber Smokey Joe Silver Portable Charcoal Grill:

I didn't want to spend the money on a full size grill, so I bought this one instead. I have only been using it for about two months now, but so far all seems well. It is small, so prepare to bend down or have a table to sit it on. Despite its smaller size, it is still capable of holding about 6 burgers, as well as a couple of hot dogs, too.
My biggest complaint is getting it started. It is such a small grill I think that this affects the starting it up. Sometimes the charcoal also burns out quickly.
For the most part the grill offers quick grilling for all of your favorites. Food cooks evenly and tastes delicious. So far it is sturdy, but I wouldn't say that it could withstand a lot of damage. But, this is something that I cannot really say right now.
All in all this is a nice grill and I am glad that I bought it. My family has had several great BBQs thanks to this little guy!

Doesn't seem too durbale, but then again it isn't some 'cheap' product, either.