4.9

Cons

A Tailgating Necessity

from Pittsburgh, PA

About Me Grilling Enthusiast

Pros

• Design
  • Portable

Cons

• Small Grilling Surface

• Indirect Cooking
  • Portable Use

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

This is the third smoker that I bought to use for tailgating. Several of the parking lots in the downtown area allow you to grill with charcoal or electric grills providing that you assume full responsibility and that you have a five foot barrier around the area where you are cooking.

This smoker has an egg shape to it so it is tall and thin rather than short and squat. That allows for you to throw a brisket on it and slow cook it for hours so the meat is tender and juicy. Packing this up to take it to a tailgating party or picnic isn't hard but when you are done with it you are going to want to dump out the ashes and coals into a fire pit so the body of the grill can cool off.

You can use this as a grill but the surface of it isn't huge; when i take this to a tailgating party and don't have to use it as smoker it usually ends up getting used for non-meat items for the vegetarians and vegans. While there aren't a ton of them that come to the games it is nice to have something that they can enjoy that doesn't have meat drippings on it.

I consider this a little safer than other portable grills because of the design and shape of it; this will never replace a standard grill for me but for smoking meat or taking to a tailgate party its one of the best choices,

The best charcoal grill and smoker I've ever owned.

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

Greatest steaks, pork, vegetables, you name it, cooked on the BGE.

Heats quickly for searing steaks, temp adjustable for slow and low smoking, and save money on charcoal and no lighter fluid.

Bought my first BGE in 1998, my second one in 2006. Both still in use and no end in sight.

• Versatility:

Best smoker on the market!

from Merced, CA

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

I bought this because my brother had given one to my sister years ago. I liked the style, so I bought it.. I tried to smoke chicken in it, and it was just wonderful. I used hickory sticks, and the chicken tasted so good, I'll use this smoker forever!

It was easy to set up and use.

Versatility
You can just bar-b-que, or smoke meats on it.

I'm disabled with Parkinson's, and I had little difficulty using it.

Just scrub a little, and it's clean.

My sister had hers for over 30 years, so I hope mine lasts that long!

Beautiful style, and color.

• Versatility:

I wanted a smoker and now I have one and love it

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

I have always wanted a smoker and never could justify purchasing one when we already had a gas grill that could cook...why did I really have to have a smoker? Well, the answer was plain and simple...I wanted good smoked ribs and pork! So I found a deal from an online company that has everything at great deals. I bought it and it arrived 2 weeks ago.
The set up was very easy for this smoker. Assembly required little more than a screwdriver and a wrench. In the matter of 20 - 30 minutes I was ready to cook!!
My first endeavor was a pork roast. I followed the directions and let it smoke at the suggested low temperature and 5 hours later I had a chunk of crusty outside, moist and smokey pork! I was able to pull the meat off the bone and shred it just like at my favorite BBQ restaurant. The flavor was amazing and my family were amazed and couldn't stop complimenting me.
Clean up is easy. And by keeping it covered I am sure it will last for a long time.
I am thrilled with my smoker. My only regret is that I didn't purchase one a long time ago!!

Following the instructions the end result of my pork butt was amazing!

Versatility
So far I haven't had time to do anything other than my pork butt. I am sure that once I get to try the other features I will be able to come back and update my review with how the grilling and baking features worked! If this works as the brochure shows, I will be able to do pizza, steak, burgers, dogs, and chicken!! It even says I can do bread...I wonder if that means that after all these years of not being able to bake this will give me a new found ability!

With the slow and low temperature cooking I found that it was harder for me to leave it alone than to just let it cook! It's almost too easy!!

The ceramic makes cleaning a snap!

I have only had this smoker for 2 weeks so can't attest to its durability yet, but it is build very sturdy and with the cover I am sure it will stay like new for a long time.

It is a great design. The egg shape makes it able to fit nicely on small patios or decks.

Best grill I've ever used

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

Extremely easy to use. Keeps temperatures at a nice steady rate. Almost idiot proof.

Meat comes out perfect every time.

Versatility
I've cooked steaks, hamburgers, chicken, ribs, etc all with great results. Tender and juicy.

Only issue is that the seal will sometimes need replacing.

Best Grill Ever!

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

This grill goes beyond grilling meats to perfection, it can smoke your meats, or even bake a pizza. Wonderful product for any culinary enthusiast.

Heat is consistent, it holds the heat that you make from the charcoals. It does not take big drops in temp like other grills I have used.

Versatility
Seriously, I could never "bake" on my other grills. This grill, can do it all. I can bake a cake if I wanted. The thick ceramic walls hold the heat necessary to bake confections, meats, and pizzas...

Even if our new to charcoal grilling, you will be surprised how easy it is to use. It's truly a simple dump it and light it type thing...

I admit, we don't have to clean ours very often. We use the recommended "natural coals" and they burn cleaner than regular charcoal, and are healthier for you. But when we do, it too, is a simple task.

We have had our grill a few years now, and the glazed outside is still shiny as when we first bought it. This grill is virtually indestructible.

The Egg, as we call it, is designed in a way that allows proper heat flow inside the grill, while minimizing girth space, and therefore, anyone can use them, and not have to have a large deck to do so.

grill

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

I give this grill high marks overall because it did a good job so far. In the frist few time of use, it functioned properly and seemed to be overall a better grill than my last one that was left outside and became all rusted and usable.

Yes it functioned well. I liked that it is heavy duty but is not just a huge grill that takes up too much space. It did a good job cooking hamburgers the first time and then steaks. I liked it.

Versatility
I am not sure how a grill can be versatile as it is pretty much a one stop shop but it is versatile in that you can use it for big and small jobs. It is good for personal use or a small party.

Again a grill is not designed to be hard to use but this one was easy to open and easy to use.

This is always the hardest part of any grill. I would not say it was easy to clean but it was consistent with other grills that I have had.

It does seem like it will hold up better outside than my last grill but only time will really tell.

I like the design and look of this grill and it seemed to be designed to last longer.

Great Grill

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

I got this charcoal grill and smoker about a year ago and I have to say that the meat that I have been putting on this grill has come out really tasty. I have had other smokers before and this is still by for the best smoker that I have used so far. The design of the grill makes it easy to clean and easy to get the charcoal in the grill. Once I put the meat into the smoker it took only a few hours for the meat to get done. When I have had other smokers they have usually come out really burnt and over done and it was hard to tell when the meat was done. With this smoker it was easy to tell when the meat was done. With the design of the grill it is ideal for smoking meat. With also the design it cooks the meat evenly throughout the meat to make it tender and warm in all places. The price of the grill compared to other grills is not all that expensive. I have had several friends over the summer come over to try out my egg shaped cooker and they have also all said the meat tasted the best they have had when grilling their own meat. If you are in the process of looking for a new grill and like to smoke meat then this is the type of grill to purchase you will not be disappointed with the way the meat comes out and taste. It literally will fall of the bone when the meat is done.

• Versatility:

Amazing do it all grill!

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

So easy to learn how to use! From pizza to hamburgers to smoking a turkey this is an awesome grill. I enjoy all of the accessories for the grill. The temperature control and regulator are a must to buy with this grill. The big green egg cookbook has a lot of wonderful delicious recipes! Even desserts!!!!

• Versatility:

Large Big Green Egg is Amazing!!

Comments about Big Green Egg Charcoal Grill and Smoker Large:

You can do anything on the Big Green Egg! You can smoke, bake, grill, and anything else you want to do! We use ours all of the time and are constantly amazed at how well everything turns out. It is awesome and we will never have any other grill!! It also has a lifetime warranty on all ceramic parts and there are so many accessories you can purchase to add to the versatility of the grill and its shape give it a sort of self basting ability. Would recommend this grill for anyone!! We had three grills and are now down to one. Love it! Love it! Love it!!