Other Grills:
Weber
Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill

Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill

• Versatility:

Real men use Weber Kettles!

When I relocated last year to a house with a deck and everything I was sitting out on the deck one afternoon with the little Weber Smokey Joe cookin' up a burger and slurgin' a brewski and the ol' Smokey was lookin' mighty puny there in the middle of all that deck space.

Weird, because it looked just fine on my dinky little apartment balcony just a month or so before this..... d;-)

I figured it was time to upgrade. Now, I'd had a Weber Kettle at the old house, but the ex took possession of that one as I didn't have the space for it at the apartment. It was probably 15 years old when I inherited it back in '93 and it's still goin' strong. We did the BBQ thing at the ex's last summer for Shorty's b-day and I got reacquainted with my old grill that day. My point is... did I have a point or was I just rambling again as I do quite frequently? Oh yeah! These Weber Kettles will last for ever if you treat 'em right.

With that in mind I went grill huntin'. There was never really any doubt about brand, it was merely which model it would be. I looked 'em all over and decided on **The Performer. **Aka **Weber model # 847001.**

Here's what ya get:

- 22.5" porcelain-enameled bowl and lid

- 2 Char Basket charcoal holders

- Heavy duty, hinged cooking grate

- Touch N Go gas ignition system

- Thermometer built into the lid

- Thermoset Plastic food prep table

- Hinged Charcoal storage basket under the table

- Removable ash catcher

Okay I wasn't too concerned with the Touch N Go ignition. I'm sure it works just fine, but I'll never use it. I still have my old chimney and a stack of newspaper, and until that runs out and the chimney disintegrates I'm usin' em. The charcoal baskets are nice when you want to control where your coals are placed with a minimal amount of fuss. Direct heat? Set the baskets close together. Indirect heat? Spread the baskets to the distance you want.

The charcoal storage basket is a big plus. Keeps all your charcoal (and newspaper for lightin' the chimney) in one place and out of the elements. Just tilt it down to get your firestartin' periphernalia out and tilt it back up to close it. The ash catcher is a big improvement over the 20 some-odd year old kettle I used to have with the little aluminum bowl catcher under it. This ash catcher mounts right up to the bottom of the kettle bowl. Twist to remove and dump the ashes, twist it back on and you're good to go grill another rib-eye or three.

There's also a bit of storage space under the grill on a metal rack. Great place to keep the chimney and wire brush. Cooking utinsels hang on built in hooks on the front. There's a lid holder on the side of the kettle for convenience. For ease of movement, there are two wheels on the kettle end and 2 smaller castors on the table end. Just roll it to your favorite cooking spot and light 'er up.

After the first year of use, the Performer has done just that: Performed, and performed quite well. If you like to barbeque but hate the taste of propane, Weber is the only way to go!

Nice grill, can be a pain to get going.

I really like this grill when it works correctly.  I have had a serious issue with the ignition getting clogged up, however.  Every year, the first time I try to grill in the summer, I have an ignition issue.  This year, I ended up just holding a match with tongs to light it up.  It was only marginally harder than pushing the ignition button.  When I try to get the ignition fixed, I always seem to find an insect issue in the lines.  Not sure if they are not sealed well or what.  This wouldn't be such a big deal, but it's a real pain to get into those lines and get them back together.  I don't grill constantly, so this grill seems like kind of a hassle to deal with for me.  I actually end up not grilling because I don't want to deal with it.  When I do mess with it though, it generally turns out good results.  I have had some problems with retaining heat in it and not very much luck with smoking (although you are supposed to be able to do that with this grill).  This may be the result of an inexperienced grillmaster, however, rather than the grill itself.  All in all, a decent grill, but not as great as I expected when I bought it.

Let's grill!

from Albuquerque

About Me Grilling Enthusiast

Pros

• Cooks Efficiently
  • Portable

• Small Gatherings

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

So far this is a really good grill. I've had it for about two month so far and the thing I like the most is the ash catching feature on the bottom. It's super easy to move around and is obviously of high quality. This version does have the gas assist start, but I still use the Weber Chimney to start and have just been using the gas assist to light some newspaper under it.
    Absolutely love this unit. It came well packaged and easy to assemble.

The Weber kettle is the only way to go

from Oshkosh WI

About Me Master Griller

Pros

• Adds Flavor To Meal
    • Cooks Efficiently
    • Large Grilling Surface

• For Self/Couple
      • Great Searing
      • Indirect Cooking
      • Small Gatherings

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

My neighbors think that I'm nuts...January 1st, 10 below zero and I'm outside grilling on my Weber. I'm on my 4th or 5th kettle now and I'm about to buy another one...Charcoal's the only way to go, don't you know. Don't by a cheap knockoff, buy the real deal...Weber Grill!

Taste of the good old days

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

There's nothing like smoky charcoal taste in your grilled meat. Before owning my Weber Grill, I had a propane grill. While it was convenient and quick, I really miss the old-fashioned flavor. Weber has finally solved that problem with a charcoal grill that is easy to light. The gas assist feature makes lighting the charcoal breeze. I love how compact this grill is; it is so easy to move around my patio. Yet, it has plenty of grilling and workspace. I absolutely love grilling chicken on this grill because it leaves it so tender and juicy with a perfect smoky flavor. Vegetables come out crisp tender, maintaining all of their nutritional value and still tasting amazing. If you are a fan of charcoal grilling but the half of lighting charcoal, then this grill is definitely for you. Weber has done great with this one. It is also quite easy to clean and the temperature regulates well for thorough and even cooking.

Even heating all the way around. Meat tastes amazing and retains a smoky flavor without all of the chemical additives.

So simple.

Really easy to clean.

I have had it for several years and still going strong.

Love the compactness and mobility.

• Versatility:

"Hybrid" approach to grilling is a winner

from Spotsylvania, VA

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

We acquired our Performer in August, 1995. It's almost 19 years old and just now starting to wear out. We've replaced the list and mesh grill, but aside from those, all other parts are still working. Being able to use the propane starter for the charcoal is much safer and convenient than using traditional petroleum-based liquid. I recommend it to everyone.

On several occasions, it would be nice to have more space, but this is a minor inconvenience.

Versatility
      Not being able to raise or lower the grilling surface is similarly a minor inconvenience. I just had to learn that it is OK to start the charcoal closer to the edge if I'm only doing a couple of burgers and not use as much charcoal.

The cart has two nice sized wheels and two smaller ones. I think they should make all four the same size. The smaller ones don't work as well as the larger ones. But it is light enough to move around on only two wheels.

Very easy!

19 years of service says it all.

I could only find it available with a blue or red lid. I wanted blue, but those were only sold through Williams-Sonoma, which means no "sales" or discounts. (Yep, I'm cheap...if you hadn't figured that out yet....remember, it's 19 years old!) The red ones are more widely available. I would think offering more colors would be good, but I can't complain about it otherwise.

• Versatility:

Great charcoal grill without the taste of lighter fluid

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

This is a durable and easy to use grill that gives foods that old fashioned charcoal taste. The gas assist feature allows for easy starting of charcoal. The charcoal gives food an authentic charcoal grilled flavor and not simply grill lines. The best part is that no lighter fluid is needed and therefore no lighter fluid chemicals will off-flavor your meal.

This grill offers even heating and good temperature control. It also offers great charcoal flavor with the ease of a gas grill. Putting the lid on the grill and closing the vents helps to conserve the charcoal as the embers are extinguished from the lack of oxygen.

Versatility
      This grill can be started with or without the gas assist feature. Only the small propane containers are needed and the gas assist feature is only utilized for about 10 minutes, or until the charcoal bricks appear to be glowing. Once the charcoal is lit, the gas is turned off. One container of gas lasts to start several fires and the disposable can be purchased in 2-3 packs at most hardware stores. There is also no worry if you run out of propane as the charcoal can be started without the gas assist and cooking can resume. There is no need to run out for more propane in the middle of cooking a meal. The full cover and vents allow for grilling experimentation. I have baked pies and made pizzas on this grill. I find this grill very versatile, durable, and fun to use.

This grill offers a roomy bowl that allows for the easy arrangement of charcoal and lighting the gas assist pilot. The charcoal is installed into two movable pans that can be shifted to widen the heated/ grilling area.

The exterior of this grill wipes clean with dish detergent and water. The cooking grates require a wire brush or hand washing prior to use. The. sturdy prep surface is easily wiped clean with a mild detergent. I have not experienced any staining or scratching.

I have had my Weber Performer grill outside in NJ winters for 6+ years with no cover. There are no signs of corrosion or fading of the green finish. The cart assembly does not show weathering either.

The Weber performer has the Weber retro charcoal grill look with updates for cooking convenience. This grill is available in assorted colors. The prep area is great for resting dishes when putting food on, and taking food off, the grill. A charcoal storage container provides waterproof storage of unused charcoal. All these features, plus not needing big propane tanks or lighter fluids led me to choose this grill and I have had no problems and no regrets.

Best Grill Ever!

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

For those of us die-hard charcoal loving grills, this Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Grill is the only grill for us! With the gas ignition, you get your charcoal started a whole lot quicker but you still get the advantage of enjoying the taste of true charcoal grilled flavor. A gas grill just doesn't do it when you have been raised on charcoal but getting the charcoal lit is always a problem. Lighter fluid is so bad and leaves the worst taste on your food. The plug in electric starters were good when they first came out but for some reason they just started dying rapidly. So when this grill came out, we literally went out the moment we heard about it. It is without a doubt one of the best investments, as far as grills go, that we have ever met. We just bought another one for our vacation home.

Perfection!

Versatility
      You can do anything with this grill that you can do with any other grill.

It's a Weber...how much easier can it get!

Simple as cleaning any other Weber charcoal grill.

Weber grills are about as durable as you can get. We don't wear them out, we give them away!

Great having the table on the side instead of trying to juggle food and utensils.

Good Charcoal BBQ with Convenient Charcoal Storage and Prep Area

from Saint Petersburg, FL

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

I like that prep area on the side and love the charcoal bin.

Your basic Weber barbecue with the advantages of a charcoal bin and a prep area.

Versatility
      Not sure what would be versatile about this but you can get it in different colors.

Easy to replace the gas canister. Easy to start.

Has catch area for ashes but you do not want to touch the handle when the barbecue is hot or you may get burned.

Live in FL and it stays outside year round with a cover over it. Some of the plastic has come off of the wheels making it harder to move around but I don't have the need to move it around.

I cannot hang the barbecue tools from the hooks when using the barbecue because the tools get too hot to touch.

• Versatility:

A staple for our household cooking.

from Worcester, MA

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

I got this grill as a housewarming gift from mother. Previously I had never owned or used a grill. My boyfriend chose this one because the warm-up time is a lot shorter and he loves the taste of charcoal-grilled food. The Performer is unique in that it uses gas, but only to ignite the charcoals. On our first use of the Performer, my boyfriend asked me to start it up while he bought the food to throw on it. I was somewhat nervous that I would do something wrong (and yes, apparently I did with the charcoal formation, but I find it impossible to read instructions and when the instruction booklet was describing this, I was confused and found myself needing pictures). The Performer comes with a charcoal bin storage under the nicely sized side table. Despite my charcoal arrangement, the grill was very easy to ignite and the instructions are right on the grill at each place where you would need it (vents, gas ignition, etc) and is ready for grilling in 10 minutes. Compared to other charcoal grills, this one has a very big face. It had plenty of room to grill first servings for 4 people, and the side table is great for holding the pre- and post-cooked goods. The Performer also has an area to hang utensils. We bought another brand, and some of them didn't fit on perfectly. We also bought another brand for a cover as we thought the Weber one was too expensive, but our alternate now has 2 rips in it from us trying to place it over the grill and I'm sure the Weber cover is well worth the money. I am not the one that uses this everyday, but I do make my boyfriend grill on it for me at least twice a week.

The grill that holdes for years

from Cypress, TX

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

Have bought a barbecue early 90s that is still our second barbecue, Weber has shown its best side during all the years we have had it, it delivers what it promises. 5 years ago we bought our grill with table and it has the same color as new in appearance that time. We have the grille standing out in the open and the sun has still not taken its charm. The only thing is that every year we buy some new barbecue grill and charcoal holder, but our grill is used almost every week of the year if not more.

I recommend the grill to persons who likes to cook food on charcoal. With the gas start you can start the grill in minutes and it's fine to begin loading your food on it after 30 minutes.

even my wife uses it

from Tomball, TX

Comments about Weber Performer Touch-N-Go Gas Ignition Charcoal Grill:

I love charcoal grilling but my work schedule doesn't allow me to do it as often as I want and with my previous grill was to "scary" to my wife to do it for me...

So when I got the Performer for Father's day a few years ago, all I have to do is set up the coals and make sure the tank is full and now I come home from work with great tasting grilled food waiting for me.

The convenient Charcoal Bin (some use it as a trash bin) keeps me from having to store my charcoal any where else but with the grill...

Now for the cool thing, because my wife finds it so convenient, she lets me buy cool accessories for the grill because she likes to use them as well and fixes complete meals on the grill.

It really has become a family center piece for family backyard meals and the kids even want to get in on the action.