3.6

WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner

3.6

Pros

Cons

Wen cleansing conditioner has done wonders for my hair.

I've been using Wen's fig cleanser for 5 months now and my hair hasn't been this healthy since i was 8 years old. I have thick wavy hair and i use to need at least two different products to control the frizz. Before Wen my hair always looked dry and damaged, now its shiny and smooth. The best part is being able to let my hair dry naturally and not worry about it getting all frizzy and poofy. I dont think i'll ever use regular shampoo and conditioner again. I even turned my sister on to Wen, whose her hair is the opposite of mine (her hair is fine and straight), and she loves it too. When she first started using Wen she complained that her hair felt weighed down, so i suggested that she really scrub her scalp well, and to be sure and leave it in for several minutes. She said that did the trick because she hasnt had that problem since. I really couldnt recommend this product more. I just love it.

Like shampooing with a cough drop. Eww.

**The Verdict:**  While I really like Wen and the concept of a cleansing conditioner, this particular formulation is not right for my hair.  It's more for people with dry, damaged hair or coarse, curly or ethnic hair and my hair is none of those things.

**Just the Facts:**  A few months ago I caved in and bought a set of 5 cleansing conditioners from QVC.  I had had my eye on this fairly new concept in hair cleansing and since it was such a good deal on the 5-pack I took the plunge.

**Wen Cleansing Conditioner** is a one step conditioner that also cleanses without the use of detergents or harsh chemicals like sodium laurel sulfate.  Wen produces no lather at all and is supposed to be really good for the hair.

The set I purchased came with five different formulations which are for different types of hair.  This review is about the **Fig** variety of **Wen Cleansing Conditioner.  **I'm reviewing each one separately.

Chaz Dean, the stylist and creator of Wen, states that Fig Cleansing Conditioner is hydrating and is especially good for medium to coarse hair that is dry and damaged or ethnic.  My hair is none of those things.  It is fine (but I have a ton of it), poker straight, and incredibly healthy.  I think that is why Fig doesn't do as much for my hair as the other varieties that are universal or for fine hair.

The instructions state that for long hair I should use about 40 pumps; 10 for the crown, 10 to the nape and back, and 10 for each side.  That sounds like a lot but only a little bit of product comes out with each pump.  I would prefer to have more come out and use less pumps but such is life.

After applying it to all of my hair I massage it into my scalp and hair vigorously, comb thru, and let it sit while I proceed with the rest of my shower.  Afterwards I rinse it out thoroughly.  Wen has the consistency of a thick conditioner and does not lather at all so it's a bit weird but it actually does cleanse quite well.

Wen does not lather at all and feels like thick conditioner on the hair and needs to be rinsed out quite well.  The menthol cleanses and leaves my scalp feeling nice and tingly.  It is quite easy to comb out afterwards and my hair is super soft and shiny when it is dry.

The only problem I have is that this variety is for coarse, curly, or damaged hair so it's not compatible with my hair.  Chaz Dean says that one should only have to cleanse every 2-3 days if the product is used properly and that the more often it is used, the less often one should have to wash their hair.

Well I have oily hair, even when I use no spray or styling products, so regardless of which variety I use I always have to wash my hair every day.  Your results may be better if you're not a greaseball like me.

The scent of a product can make or break its future in my shower.  I like performance, but I'm all about scent.  Of the four Wen conditioners I've tried thus far (Fig, Sweet Almond Mint, Tea Tree, Lavender) the scent of Fig is my least favorite.  I normally like the scent of fig quite well, however Wen contains menthol and the combination of menthol and fig smell like a cherry Hall's cough drop.  It's not a very nice scent and doesn't make me want to buy it again.  And since this formulation is not for my hair type that's two strikes against Fig.

**Closing Argument:** While I do like Wen in general and the fact that it is gentle and does not strip my hair, I don't like the scent of the Fig variety.  And it is the most hydrating formula as well so if you have damaged or ethnic hair it would be a good choice.  But if your hair is normal and healthy like mine, it may be too hydrating.

Love WEN fig, soothing, gentle, but pricey and takes extra time

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

I love WEN fig. It is gentle on my hair and I frequently have an itchy, sensitive scalp and this is almost therapeutic. If I'm in a hurry, I will use something else gentle because for the full benefit I do think you need to leave it on a few minutes to sink in. I don't use as much as the bottle says, don't feel I need to. Was excited to try Biolage's new cowash, but can't find one of the four that smells good at all, so back to WEN.

Loving this product

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

I've been using Wen's fig cleanser for 4 months now. At first I was skeptical because it looked like conditioner and did not lather. My hair felt heavy and still looked awful. I cut back on how much I used to half of what they say to use and I am loving it. My hair hasn't been this healthy since i was a kid. I have thick wavy hair and i have tried almost every shampoo and conditioner out there but they always seemed to dry my hair out. Now due to Wen, my hair looks shiny, healthy and soft.. I sometimes let my hair dry naturally and sometimes I use the blow dryer with a diffuser. Either way it looks great. The price seems high at first but one bottle has lasted me for 5 months so if you split the cost up to see how much it costs per month it is cheaper than all the other products I used to use. Now I do not use anything but Wen and a little hairspray. My hair is just below my shoulders and it seems to be growing quicker too.

This product has made my hair look great and I actually love it now. it is in much better condition and I am getting compliments on my hair all the time. It is a little weird not lathering but it is really nice and feels like a deep conditioning treatment each time I use it. I have not used regular conditioner in over a year since I started trying all the different smells of Wen.

The different smells could be a little better. This one is kinds christmas smelling to me. I actually like the summery smells better with coconut. Wish they would come out with some new smells soon.

The best thing since sliced bread!!

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

I love the fig wen so much! This cleans like no tomorrow, it doesnt strip the hair of moisture. It leaves the haie soft and silky and quite manageable. I have been using cleansing conditioners for years and will never go back to shampoos again. Ive tried a few others and none have really compaired to wen in the cleaning and hydrating department.I love the wen even more because these products arent tested on animals. I gave it a 9 instead of a twn only for cost.And the scent "Fig" is quite heavenly!

Terrible for my hair

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

I have fine, thin hair and I thought this conditioner would be great for adding moisture to my hair. This product is a bit pricey so I was reluctant to purchase it, but eventually gave in to the infomercial and bought it.
I could tell from the first time I used it that it was not for me. I felt like I could not rinse all of this out of my hair and my hair felt oily while I was in the shower. I also felt like my hair was not as clean as normal and since this product did not lather at all, I felt like my hair was still dirty.
The scent was horrible, it smelled like menthol. It was horrible, and I could smell it on my hair throughout the day.
My hair looked heavy and lifeless from this product and I quickly called and returned the package. It was not for me.

This product does not work well at all for cleaning your hair. My hair felt dirty and lifeless. I could not seem to wash all of the product out, my hair felt oily and greasy.

The worst smelling conditioner I have ever used.

This smells amazing and is one of their best conditioners.

Profile Image

from West Virginia

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

I purchased an entire WEN kit online because I haven't saw it available in stores. It may be available at some specialty stores but I decided to go ahead and order from their website. I tried the Lavender, the Almond Mint, and this Fig cleansing conditioner. The fig is by far the best smelling.

I love the idea behind these products. This conditioner uses all natural ingredients. It doesn't have any artificial ingredients, dyes, or chemicals in it. I was kind of skeptical when I ordered these. I thought that the natural ingredients would dry my hair out or wouldn't provide enough conditioning.

I was very pleased and happy that I splurged on these products. The fig scent smells amazing. It smells just like a fruit. It reminds me of pomegranate. I put it on my hair and it was a bit thinner than I'm used to but it absorbed into my hair quickly. I let it soak in for a few minutes and rinsed my hair.

I was pleased with this conditioner. It's all natural and I got great conditioning. My hair was left moisturized, soft, and detangled. I didn't think natural products could give me all that my regular conditioner did but I was happy to see that natural products can be effective.

My hair was soft, silk, and smooth. I was detangled and I had a lot less breakage after a couple weeks using this.

It smells amazing like fruit. It smells like pomegranate or strawberries.

The Wen Cleansing products do work. Give the product a chance !

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

Overall this was better than most products I have been using . I have shoulder length fine but thick curly hair. I have thyroid problems so my hair has been an issue lately. Since starting Wen I have had no more breakage and it actually feels alot better. The first time I used it , I thought ok,, this is pretty good. BUT , the more I used it the better my hair actualy got . I used to work in a hair salon as an esthetician, so I was always a guinea pig with the hairdressers lol. I have had exposure to many many brands of shampoo and conditioners and some I do like but for right now and for me .. Wen is working great , This particular formulation might not be the one for you so do not be afraid to talk to a specialist on the phone and ask which one might be the best for your hair. Also give it time to work as with any product . You can always exchange for another formula. I know it is expensive but when you add up the cost of all your styling piroducts .. it works out to about the same .

it is smoother and manageable

It is an ok scent.. it is not one of my favorites that Wen has

Good shampoo, but overpriced

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

This shampoo does a good job cleaning, but I do not see that it does amazingly better than the cheap off-brands in the stores. Wen says their product is so much better for your hair, but I honestly did not see much if any different in all when I used this as opposed to when I used my usual (much cheaper) shampoo. If you don't mind how much you spend on shampoo, then this is a good product. I only gave it less than 7-8 points because of the price they charge for it.

Cleans hair well and does a good job rinsing out. I did like how my hair felt afterwards, but again it wasn't much different than using my usual shampoo at a much lower price. Perhaps if you color or use harsher treatments in your hair it might make a difference, but my hair is never colored and rarely blow-dryed so perhaps that makes a difference.

I liked the scent of this and all the Wen shampoos. The fig is a nice, earthy scent that isn't too overpowering. You can still smell it on your hair after washing and drying, but it is not an overwhelming smell.

WOW oh WOW!

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

This stuff works wonders! I have very dry, damaged, thin, long, curly hair and this stuff is awesome! I was skeptical at first, but this stuff did wonders for my hair! After one use my hair was shiny and healthy looking without the use of other hair care products. It smell of the conditioner is light, but stays in your hair all day! After a couple of days, my hair looked as if I never colored or damaged it with the straightener. I don't have to put extra hair products in so that my hair isn't frizzy or lifeless. The only downside is that the longer your hair is the more you need and this bottle don't last long, and with it being costly it's kind of makes you want to reconsider buying it. However, I use mine at least twice a week and it makes it last much longer while still making my hair remain beautiful even if I don't use it every time.

It conditions and cleans. This stuff is a hair miracle! You can feel it cleaning your hair, because it has a relaxing cooling sensation that is not painful or overwhelming. The longer you leave it in the better it does! I get complements on my hair just about every time I use it!

It is a very light sent, but lasts all day. It's not my most favorite scent, but it doesn't smell bad either.

A hair miracle!

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

I was a little bit surprised when I discovered that this is a non-sudsing cleansing conditioner...since I'm used to the lather of regular hair products, I wound up using way too much the first time I used it. I rinsed it out, thinking I would be disappointed and have to re-wash my hair (since my hair is normally weighed down and greasy looking if I use a conditioner that doesn't agree with my hair.), but I was pleasantly surprised. My hair dried very quickly into silky, smooth, frizz-free, shampoo-commercial worthy hair! It was shiny and soft, and I can't believe how the colors in my hair revealed themselves. I can only imagine all of the leftover shampoo/conditioner/etc. gunk that it stripped out of my hair to reveal the beautiful hair underneath that I didn't even know I had! I don't straighten my hair anymore, because the frizz is gone and I can enjoy my natural curls. My hair looks beautifully replenished and healthy. I thought I had great hair before using Wen, but I had no idea. It may be expensive, but you use much less than you would use of a normal shampoo/conditioner combination, and the bottle lasts for me, a couple of months with regular washing. And either way, the feeling I get when my hair looks this way is well worth every penny spent.

Love Wen! However Fig is not my favorite...

from Southfield, MI

Comments about WEN Fig Cleansing Conditioner:

I want to start by saying that I absolutely love Wen's cleansing conditioner. I've been using it for over a year now and my hair has never been so soft.
One thing I think people rate it lower for is that the directions tell you to use WAY more product than you need. They seem to want you to run out really fast. My hair is down to the middle of my back, if I used the recommended amount every day, I'd run out in of a 16oz bottle in a week! I use between 4 and 6 pumps for my whole head and it's perfectly adequate. Also, I think the over usage leads to another problem. You need to rinse your hair really well, especially at the roots. If you don't, your hair will look greasy. If your using the recommended amount you need to rinse even more. It can be used as a leave in conditioner, but I rinse really well in the shower but then add some more after towel drying my hair, but just to the ends.
The Fig is supposed to be for dry, damaged hair. I find it to be too much. It weighs down my hair much more than the other kinds.

Wen works. I'll never use another shampoo again. I'm just not a huge fan of the Fig. However, given a choice between Fig Wen or regular shampoo and conditioner, I'd choose the Wen Fig every time.

I don't personally like the Fig scent. It's not one of Wen's best scents in my opinion.