4.1
80-075200
Vtech Vsmile Console

Vtech Vsmile Console

4.1

Great educational fun for kids

We have had our Leapfrog VSmile game system for years now and my two boys just love it.  It was a great toy for them when they were two and a half and it's still a great toy for my oldest who is now six.  They have a wide variety of games, with well known cartoon characters such as Dora and Spongebob, that vary in age appropriateness so that the games are never too difficult or too boring.  It is easy for them to use, to change games, and the controller has large buttons and a control stick.

My favorite part about these games is that they are all educational.  Every game focuses on either numbers and counting, letters and spelling, shape and color recognition, and much more.  I don't feel that time spent playing is time wasted but rather time they spent learning while having fun at the same time!

A couple of minor complaints:

- there is a plug that goes into the wall and into the back of the VSmile system.  We've had to replace that, and still sometimes in order to get a game to turn on we have to unplug it and replug it a few times.  But again we've had this toy for many years now.

- after awhile the games won't work when plugged in.  But then small children have been handling them for quite awhile and given enough time kids can break anything.  The fact that the VSmile itself still works is a testament to how well it was made for children.

Highly recommended!

Vsmile pocket is educational & fun but needs some improvements

I bought both the Vsmile cyber pocket and the vsmile regular pocket game systems for my 7 year old and my 5 year old. I got these instead of the leapsters but really wondering if I should of just splurged a little and got the leapsters. I mean I love that they are educational and fun and easy enough for my two kids to play it but the games are hard to get in and out of it and it reminds me of the origional nintendo NES with wiggling the gmaes, blowing games, etc to get them to start and turn on to play them. even the brand new game that came with them is doing that now after just 2 weeks. The games are expensive and so are the units and I expected tehm to work alot better. I know I have the same issue with the pink vsmile that hooks to the tv also. So maybe it is just a Vsmile issue but honestly I think the issue needs addressed. I was  gonna return them and get new ones but whats the chance that two brand new units are having the same issues not very likely. So for now Id say I liek that they are cheaper than the leapsters but I think I would spend the extra on the leapster if they work better and easier. Plus they go through batteries fast. The size of them are great and they are pretty tough for little hands. I like the volume buttons and the light and darkness buttons. I also like I can make them wear headsets to keep noise down. I love educational toys. Now if they could just fix both  types games issues then they would be awesome but until then I am very disappointed.

V smile is just Okay, not Wowed.

from Lenexa, KS

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

V Tech V Smile gaming console is a nice educational toy for kids. However, my kids just weren't having it. As a teacher I thought it looked wonderful. We already had Leapsters, but this was a system they could play in there playroom. Even when I played the games with them they would get bored or just not want to play. We did not have this problem with our portable devices. Here is my breakdown of the V Smile.

Pros: educational, can use games on their portable device, easily plugs into the television

Cons: the long cord on the joystick drove us crazy, very large joystick, did no keep kids interest, required batteries, easy to lose cartridges

Overall, it is an educational tool that some kids may or may not enjoy. The wireless version might be a better investment.

Vtech Vsmile - Fun & Educational

from Winter Park, FL

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

I was a bit hesitant about getting my daughter into the video game craze that most children are in. Vtech Vsmile is a great way for children to learn without even realizing it. I got this system for my daughter when she was 4, thinking it'd be "cool" for a few months and then she'd forget about it. Boy, was I wrong! She's going on 8 now and still enjoys it. It's very simple to learn. Just a few controls that even little ones can master in a few minutes. This is really the Sesame Street of video games. My daughter learned spelling, math, and tons of cool science facts with this system. Yes, the graphics are not amazing but they're basic and cute. Kids who haven't played all the fancy new systems don't know the difference or care at all. They're about equal to the regular 80's Nintendo system. This ended up being such a hit that I bought her the Vtech pocket for long road trips. If you're looking for a game that will teach your child things while they have fun, this is for you!

Love the Vtech Vsmile game but hate the quality

from Vancouver, WA

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

I love the Vtech Vsmile system and the educational games that can be purchased to play on it but I have had very bad experience with this system. First of it is unfortunate that it only comes with one controller and no adapter. You can purchase another controller and adapters separatelly but in a good quality product, these should be included. The games were also sold separately. I purchased several games, the Vsmile, the controller and the adapter. After a short period of time after purchase but after the 90 return requirement, my original system started to act up and had a terrible time reading the games and most of the time won't work when turned on. I found two systems used and purchased them because I had already put so much money into the games. Out of these two systems, one did not work and the other one sometimes has difficulty reading games. So from my experiences, the product is poor quality and only will work well for a short period of time.

Great idea, but just doesn't last

from Ilwaco, WA

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

We've had three of these over the past few years because they just stop working.  They will play fine one minute, and then all of a sudden will shut off in the middle of playing or just won't turn on at all.  Big disappointment!

Vtech Vsmile is great for young kids!

from Laconia, NH

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

My 3.5 year old son just got the Vtech Vsmile for Christmas. So far, he loves it! He was given five games to go with it. He loves the variety. The buttons are easy for him to use and understand. He does get a little frustrated at times when the game doesn't say anything and only has words since he cannot read yet. He has to move the arrow in order to hear the words and sometimes he gets confused with that. He loves that he has his own video games to play and I love that it is teaching him and is educational.

A couple of cons that we have found with this system are that it did not come with an AC adapter, even though it is made to have one. We are using batteries and we've already had to replace them in the 3 days that we've had it. Our son hasn't used it that many times either. Another con is that the resolution of the games is not great. I know it hurts my eyes when I look at it for too long, but my son hasn't said anything yet.

Overall, this is a great gaming system for young children. My son enjoys it and loves playing games with his favorite characters. If you are going to buy it, I would get an AC adapter with it so you don't have to keep replacing the batteries in it.

the vtech v-smile is great for kids

from Calais, ME

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

Vtech has created a fun and but yet a educational game console in the V-Smile Learning System. Children love the simple graphics and the bright buttons. From alphabet learning to lessons on friendship, VTech V-Smile offers a wide range of activities. This vtech vsmile system is a good choice if you have  preschoolers or any elementary aged kids to need entertaining in other ways than watching tv.

The VTech V Smile video game console comes with one joystick, and an Alphabet Park game cartridge. It plugs into your TV audio and/or video jacks. V Smile runs off  3 "C" batteries which seem to go fairly quickly. Although you can buy a  AC adapter  separately, and you can even get an extra joystick if you need it to be able to player a two player game on any of the V-Smile Cartridges.

Honestly as an adult looking at the graphics they are of  somewhat of low quality, but the children either dont seem to notice or they just dont mind. You need to buy games that are appropriate for your childrens ages some may be to hard for the younger kids and some to easy for the older children, but theres a game out there for every child.

Vtech Vsmile is the perfect learning game system for little kids

from Miami Beach, FL

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

Vtech Vsmile is an electronic gaming system created with little kids (3 an up) inmind.

The games teaches color, numbers, logics, etc. The remote control is big and easy to handle, with only a few buttons making it easy enough for toddlers to learn. They have a freat selection of games and very educational.

Great Game Systen

from Reading, PA

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

I  really  love  the  V-Tech  V smile video  game  system  because  it  is  very  educational  and  helps  break  up  winter  and  rainy  days.  It  is  not  something  that  we  let  our  daughter  use  everyday  it  is  saved  for  days  that  can  not  be  spent  outdoors  or  when  we  do not  have  any  crafts  to  do.  It  also  helps  reinforce  the  things  we  teach  her  too  like  writing  letters  so  it  helps  her  get  it  from  different  points  of  veiw.  The  biggest  complaint  i  have  with  this  system  is  that  who  thought  it  was  a  good  ideal  to make  it  run  on  batteries  and  not  even  that  but  it  takes  four  double a batteries  and  they  run out  like  every  other  time  she  plays  it.  why  is  there  no  plug for  this  thing  what  just  because  its  a  kids  toy  it  should  run  on  batteries????   not  very smart  and  is  the  most  dissapointing  thing  about  it.  Also  a very  good variety  of  games.

Great learning tool, Just needs more childproof connections.

from Prospect, CT

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

I really liked the games that went with this system and so did the kids.  As a learning game system it was awesome.  My only problem with it was that the control plugs need to be sturdier, more child proof because unless you can sit there 100% of the time while the kids are playing it, when the plug comes out and they try to put them back in the prongs break.  The system itself holds up wonderfully.  I have girls that seem to trip over everything so it had fallen a couple of times and the base system can take a beating.

An excellent learning tool!

from Acworth, GA

Comments about Vtech Vsmile Console:

My husband and I love playing video games and our son was always wanting to play with us. So, when I found this learning system, I just had to get it for him. We purchased this Vsmile Learning System for his 3rd birthday and he has enjoyed it very much. There is a large variety of games containing characters that children love. The games are all labeled with the appropriate age group making it easier to choose which games to purchase. Vsmile games teach a variety of subjects including: letters, numbers, math, and shapes. It also helps teach coordination by using the joystick.

With all of the pictures that I had seen online, I was a little disappointed to discover that the Vsmile only comes with one joystick and does not come with the joystick that has the writing pad on it. You have to purchase that joystick separate (although of the 6 games we own, there are not any games that we would need it).

I was also a little worried about raising a video game addict, so I limit the amount of time he is allowed to play every day.

Overall, this is a wonderful learning tool for ages 3-8. I also recommend getting the handheld version which plays all the same games!