Other Video Game Consoles:

Nintendo - DSi Console

Pros

Cons

• Controller Comfort:

The DSi is fun for preteens: lots of entertainment

My kids are always the last to get the latest electronic toys among their friends.  I still want them to read and make things and play board games and cook and play outside and for heaven sakes, clean their rooms.  Finally my eleven year old daughter is the proud owner of a DSi.

**Cool features:**

It has dual cameras on the back and front so kids can don't have to turn it around to take photos.  They can take photos of themselves facing it or photos of others and other things facing out.  Of course they can also store and retouch the photos with distorting or paint add ons.  Already our whole family has had fun with her turning us into big eyed cats or slack jawed puppy dogs and sure, she did make her brother a little devil.  It is still creative and good clean fun.

It comes with two stylus' that have built in holders.

It's small and easy to take on the go. (Especially if you get the stylish black and purple carrying case!)

The i in DSi is for the internet capability and were not going there yet folks so I can't tell you how well or how easily that works.

It's easy to operate.  Turn it on and put the game chips in and start playing.  It's that easy.

**About the games:**

The DSi doesn't come with "games" installed.  Those are purchased separately.  When I purchased this I asked my friend Angie, mother of 4, and owner of two DS consoles, "Where are the educational games?"  She laughed.  We found a drawing game and a pet groomer game and I must admit that while they are not blatantly educational, they are at least "thinking" games.  To solve problems at least she has to write and spell some words and for her pet grooming business she has to make some money management decisions.  She's learned some other things as well that are funny.  She tells me that the snootiest customers leave the smallest tips!

***My Viewpoint: *** The DSi is an easy to use hand held game console that provides a lot of entertainment time (and maybe a little brain challenge) for preteens. It's especially great for long trips in the car.

The DSi isn't needed if you already have a DS.

I do love my Nintendo DSi, I really do, but the thing is, I feel like I've wasted some money.

There are many new features that have been added to...Read complete review

There are many new features that have been added to the DSi that are supposed to make it "superior" to the Nintendo DS.  One of the features a sound mixer, where you can record your voice and manipulate it in different ways.  You can also insert an SD card with music in AAC format and play with them, too.

It's fun to take pictures, but with some of the features, (such as "Morph" which morphs two faces together) it has trouble recognizing faces, and won't work if you are in a room where you blend in with the background, or where there isn't sufficient lighting.

Another addition is the DSi Shop, which offers small mini-games for download.  The thing is, the minigames aren't all that great, and don't take up much of your time.  Some of them aren't even worth the download, like one of the recently added application, the Animal Crossing Calculator.  Fun!

The bigger and more expensive mini-games may be worth downloading, but if you want to download a portion of a Brain Age game, you're better off just getting the full game itself.

The biggest disappointment of the DSi, was the only free download from the DSi Shop: The internet.  One of the first things you'll notice is how incredibly slow it is.  Especially if you don't have a good wireless connection.  It's annoying that you have to delete the history about every ten pages, because a message will pop up saying something along the lines of, "Insufficient virtual memory."  There is also no zoom.  You may have seen videos of a big bottom screen with a little square that you click and drag to move around, and on the top screen there is a more zoomed out view, but you cannot zoom in or out anymore.  Some websites are also too big for the DSi to handle, so you can't go to them.  The worst part is that there is no flash, so that means no Youtube, and no online games.

Basically, if you already have a DS, you should just keep it.  If you don't have one yet, you can splurge on the DSi.  Otherwise, use a computer if you want to go on the internet.  Listen to music on the radio.  And do your math homework if you feel like using a calculator.  But, (for now) you can play DS games on the DSi and DS, so don't waste your money on this "superior" console.

The Nintendo DSi is comortable to hold and easy to play with.

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

The DSi is great with many games and has easy use. Camera is also great for taking pictures. Easy to access buttons, games, and other things. Portable and easy to carry around on car and plane trips to far places so kids won't get bored.

Graphics Quality
Very good graphics and there is no blur. Very realistic like you are the character. You can barely tell it is made of pixels.

Game Variety
Many different games for kids of all genres so everyone can have fun. There are first-person shooters, casual and arcade fun, action and adventure and even the parents can sometimes get in the fun with the kids.

Controller Comfort
Easy to hold in your hand and easy to reach buttons. There are no blisters or pain in the hands.

Very accessible buttons and pen and also with the touch screen, you don't have to use the buttons.

I have dropped it a couple of times and it has never broken, no scratches either. I just pick it up and start playing again.

• Controller Comfort:

Great Gaming Device that is Fun for All Ages!

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

The Nintendo DSi is great entertainment for trips in the car or quiet evenings at home. It's fun for all ages. There are plenty of things to do without purchasing any games. My 7 year old daughter has one and I purchased a "Math" game for her. She loves it and learns while she plays!

Graphics Quality
Graphics are great for a small and affordable product. It even has dual camera's and a photo editor that allows you to have fun with your pictures!

Game Variety
There seems to be thousands of games available for purchase in a retail store. Additionally games can be downloaded through the wifi access at a reasonable price. There are many independent games that are fun and cheap that can be downloaded that are not available on hard copy. There are plenty of educational games available for kids along with games that help keep brains sharp. This is really a product for all ages.

Controller Comfort
The gaming unit is ideal size, neither too big or too small and the control buttons are placed in a natural spot for where we hold the device.

Games are pretty easy to use, but you run into difficulties accessing the additional features such as the wifi.

I highly recommend purchasing a protective cover. The unit can be damaged easily when dropped and the hinges will wear and no longer hold at different angles. A protective case prevents both of those issues from causing problems with your unit.

Great!

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

I absolutely love this thing! I got this game when I was about 12, and since I loved it so much I thought I'd pass it down to my younger brother whose been asking about it endlessly. It's really a fabolous game. There is a decent variety of games you can play on it. The battery life lasts a long time. It has a impeccable camera (front and back). If you're a girl like me, that's a big thing. You can also buy games out of the comfort of your own home from the nintendo store. I loved this product and I recommend it for anyone ages 4-16.

Great handheld system

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

I enjoyed playing on my game system for hours and hours there is an excellent selection of games to choose from for the Nintendo DSi.

Graphics Quality
The graphics are very good on the games and some of the games are so real like.

Game Variety
There is an excellent supply of games for all ages.

This game system is very easy to use in fact I bought my daughter one when she was just 7 years old.

The system is very strong. If it can with stand a 7 year old dropping it and it not break then it can probably with stand just about anything.

• Controller Comfort:

Best video game system ever !

from Stoughton, Wi

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

Great selection of games and a whole bunch of racing games

Graphics Quality
The quality of graphics depends on the game you are playing. Racing game graphics are spot on, unlike movie games. The characters in the game do not look like they do in the movie. Here are some examples: Cars 2, disney planes, Bolt, and transformers.

Game Variety
Most of the games are mediocre

Controller Comfort
It is a bit bulky but it fits in your hands well, unlike the sega nomad.

The touch screen makes it easy to change characters on the fly in games like, lego Star Wars and the transformers games.

It is flimsy and prone to damage but I still love it

• Controller Comfort:

Awesome Hand Held Game System!

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY NINTENDO DS lite! I have owned many generations of nintendo products and this is by far one of THE BEST they have ever made! I love the flip screen that you can fold down while playing to "pause" your game instead of having to hurry up and try to save what you're doing, and I love the touch screen so you can interact with your games instead of always just pushing buttons! I like that the stylus is INSIDE the DS so it makes it harder to lose and easier to store. Also I can play FOR HOURS without it dying, and the light turns yellow and then red to warn me how close it is to cutting me off. And it's nice that the screen is LIT so you can play ANYWHERE even in the DARK instead of having to try to find a flashlight or begging the driver of the car you're in to turn on the overhead lights! (I'm sure many kids remember having to do that!)

Graphics Quality
LOVE THE GRAPHICS! I have played over 30 different games on this DS and haven't had ANY complaints on graphics. I have even played the older nintendo games and they still play perfectly if not better than they did on the older models!

Game Variety
I haven't ever worried about not having a game to play, and it plays your older well loved games! I can even play against other players world wide on the online connection! very nice! And it's nice being able to play with other people in the same room with you without all of the WIRES the old consoles NEEDED! And most games have save modes for 3 or 4 players, so more than one kid can play the same game and not have to start over every time!

Controller Comfort
This system is the perfect size to hold with two hands, be it an adult or a child. The buttons and touch screen are all spread out nicely so you can reach them without difficulty and it doesn't cramp your hands like many of the older systems do.

My 2 year old cousin plays my DS with NO problem, and I never taught him how. He knows how to switch the games and everything without help!

My DS rides around in my purse, backpack, and pocket and I haven't ever had any issues with it. My little cousin uses it too and he has dropped it without it having more than just a tiny scratch on the outside (another great thing about it FOLDING! no scratches on the SCREEN!)

• Controller Comfort:

Awesome portable game system!

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

The Nintendo DSi is a great console. It weighs less than a pound, all the while offering amazing graphics. Plethora of games to buy. It is an easy console to operate. With the DSI, the buttons have been altered so that they aren't as deep as before. Now less force is required to press the button. Along with the use of a camera in the DSi there's online apps that are now on the system as well. DSi is a great gaming system!

Nintendo DSi is...

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

Overall, it is a good buy. Graphics are alright, it has a massive game library, and it's easy to use. Handling can take a bit of getting used to, but that can be fixed over time.

Graphics Quality
For a handheld gaming device, the graphics aren't that great. That's just comparatively though. At the time of making the DSi, the graphics weren't "top of the line", but rather a good investment, if you will. For the price, the graphics quality is about right.

Game Variety
Many game developers, companies, and the like all have a few games on the Nintendo DS (playable wth the DSi of course). With the huge DS library you can play anything from music games, to party games, to RPGs, and everything in between. Lots and lots of games for this system, definitely worth it.

Controller Comfort
With the DSi, the outer texture changes drastically from the DS Lite. At first, it feels a bit rough, but still holdable. Over time, it feels as if it smooths down, and becomes more comfortable. This probably just takes a bit of getting used to.

Really easy to use. With the implementation of a camera, there's even an outer facing camera. Great for those who like taking pictures. The apps on the "home" screen are movable, so change them to how you like. User friendly

Unfortunately, the new case for the DSi isn't that great. Easily scratchable, very noticable, even (rarely, but for those heavy things) dentable. It isn't great, but this system wasn't made to be thrown around. Getting a case is suggested

• Controller Comfort:

Nintendo Dsi are great for creative kids

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

My kids always like to play different electronics so when they grew out of there leap frog electronics we bought them Nintendo DSI's. I had no idea the things it could do. For one they can access the Internet which there are parental controls. They can make their own video type things with the Flipnote option . My son has made so may flipnotes it is great. He is so creative with the drawings he makes . He takes pride in his Flipnotes and he has to show them off whenever we visit family. I keeps them occupied on long trips and they love that they have the ability to take pictures.

Good, but not great

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

I had this system for a few years. I had recieved it as a christmas gift and loved it! The only problem with it was that after using it for 2 months, the left and right triggers started to stick and not work like they were supposed to. I went in and had it looked at and cleaned and it worked fine fore that day then it started to stick again. The graphics were very good, and there are plenty of awesome games for the system. There doesnt seem to be enough free downloadable games though. You can only download youtube, flipbook and internet with come already downloaded on the DSi. You have to pay for anything else you might want. There are some games that you cant get in stores and have to download. To me thats just a bad way of trying to get money from people. The controls of the system were easy enough to handle and figure out after a few hours of game play, though you definently need a screen protector for the touch screen when you use the stylus. Otherwise your going to end up with a severly scratched up screen. If you are not confident in putting the screen protectors on yourself, hace someone at the store you purchase the system at do. You want it to go on well so that you dont trap anything under the protector that can damage the screen. Parents should also take advantage of the parental controls. You can access any and all internet websites through the DSi. You may also want to purchase a few extra stylus packs because they are easy to lose.

Game Variety
There are plenty of games for children, and not enough games for older teens and young adults.