Other Cold & Flu Medicines:
Cold & Flu Relief
Vicks
Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine

Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine

Pros

• Easy to administer (4)
  • Effective (3)
  • Relieves symptoms fast (3)

• Congestion (3)
  • Fever (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Healthy adult (4)

Vicks NyQuil Cough stops that stubborn cough so I can sleep.

When I have a cough that keeps me from sleeping, there is only one Over The Counter cough medicine that I trust and know for sure will stop that stubborn cough in it's tracks and let me sleep! That OTC cough medicine is **Vicks NyQuil Cough Liquid, Cherry Flavor**, and I have yet to find any cough remedy that isn't a prescription medication that works as well as NyQuil!

I don't take Nyquil often, but once in awhile, when my cold and cough is bad enough to cause me to be unable to sleep, I know I can count on Nyquil Cough. It does the job every time! It almost always keeps my cough to a minimum all night long, and it even stops my nose from running and keeps me from having sneezing fits.

The **active ingredients** in this product are Dextromethorphan, which is a cough suppressant, and Doxylamine Succinate, which is an antihistamine. The inactive ingredients are Alcohol, citric acid, FD&C Blue No. 1, FD&C Red No. 40, flavor, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, and sodium citrate. I'm sure it's the alcohol that helps me sleep, and that's fine with me. Whatever works!

However...if you're an alcoholic or an alcoholic lives in your home, don't even keep NyQuil in your house. The small amount of acohol may not be enough to cause an alcoholic to go on a drinking binge, but it would have been enough for my father, so I say...better safe than sorry!

The cherry flavor is much more tolerable than the green NyQuil, in my opinion. The green stuff makes me almost vomit. It's nasty stuff. The cherry doesn't taste good, but at least it tastes better than the green NyQuil.

As with all medications, both prescription and OTC, please read all of the warnings before taking it, and only take it as directed.

I very highly recommend Vicks NyQuil Cough Liquid, Cherry Flavor, if you have a cough that's bad enough that it's keeping you from sleeping. It does the trick for me every single time I need it and take it.

Nyquil Cold & Flu not for everyone.

Although Nyquil Cold & Flu medicine is a popular brand among cold and flu suffers, it is not for everyone.  I took Nyquil once for the flu, and had an adverse reaction to it.  After taking the Nyquil, I became very jittery and it felt like my heart was racing a mile-a-minute.  It also made me feel very drowsy and disoriented.  I later learned that it was possibly the antihistamine component that made all of this happen.  The active ingredients in the Nyquil Cold & Flu are: Acetaminophen (500 mg/15 mL) (pain reliever/fever reducer); Dextromethorphan (15 mg/15 mL) (cough suppressant), and Doxylamine succinate (6.25 mg/15 mL) (antihistamine/hypnotic).  If you have a problem taking any of these ingredients, perhaps you should try something else.  The Nyquil had a similar affect on my husband and he has literally banned Nyquil from our medicine cabinet!  Although Nyquil Cold & Flu may be the medicine of choice for many people, I would not feel comfortable recommending it to anyone.

Best Cold & Flu Med there is!

from Ishpeming, MI

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer
  • Effective
  • Good Flavor
  • No Side Effects
  • Promotes Healing
  • Relieves Symptoms Fast

• Aches & Pains
    • Cough
    • Emergencies
    • Itchy Eyes
    • Runny Nose & Sneezing
    • Sore Throat

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

I'm always sure to keep a bottle of Nyquil on hand during cold and flu season! It's what my mom always used and gave me since I was young, so it's what I trust. I only wish they hadn't changed the formulation over the years. I'm not sure if they make it or not, but I haven't been able to find it with pseudoephedrine anymore (Haven't seen it behind the pharmacy counter with the other pseudoephedrine products.) But it's still the cold medicine that works best for a bad cough. And whenever I hear a friend talking about having a cold with a cough, I tell them to get some Nyquil.

The Only Medicine I Need

from Minneapolis, MN

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer
    • Effective
    • Relieves Symptoms Fast

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

Nyquil Cold and Flu Relief has gotten me through some pretty rough colds and flus. It helps me get much needed rest when the rest of my body makes it difficult to get a full night's rest. It relieves symptoms fast and me sleep through the night.

Knocks you right out lol

from Madawaska, Maine

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer
      • Effective
      • Promotes Healing
      • Relieves Symptoms Fast

Cons

• Poor Taste/Smell

• Cough
      • Runny Nose & Sneezing
      • Sore Throat

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

I love this one because it's stronger than regular NyQuil. It knocks me right out, which is what I want when I'm sick. Tastes pretty gross but the taste goes away quick. I love how fast it works.

For Berry flavor ONLY

from Austin, Texas

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer

Cons

• Poor Taste/Smell

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

This negative review is for the Berry flavor ONLY. I usually get the original flavor, which is not the best but I'm at least able to get it down. Today I was not able to go to the store myself so I sent my husband, which may have been my first mistake. He came home with the Berry flavor. When I drank it, I immediately began to gag and vomit. Not fun when you already feel miserable. I would return it if it was possible to get the original flavor that I know works and tastes not so bad.

One of the best

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine is one of the best medications that you can take at bedtime and throughout the night when you have a cold or the flu. Part of what makes it so great is that there is a sleep aide in the medication that helps you sleep through the night (or nap during the daytime) so that you can ignore any congestion, coughing, et cetera that makes sleep difficult with a cold or the flu.

Congestion Relief
        Nyquil does not do the best job at relieving congestion, but it does okay enough to help you sleep through the night in order to let your body heal itself.

Chest Congestion Relief
        Nyquil helps ease the chest congestion that I get at night from laying down flat because the drainage all goes to the back of your throat and then down into the chest cavity and stomach. Nyquil makes it possible for this to not be so bad.

Relief of Aches & Pains
        Nyquil is not the best at relieving the aches and pains that come with having a cold or the flu. I still always feel a bit achy when I take this medication, so I will combine it with a bit of tylenol or ibuprofen, depending on what the label of the Nyquil medication says is okay.

Cough Suppression
        Nyquil does a great job of suppressing coughs during the night in order to help me sleep better.

Helpful for Relief and Sleep

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

When I am dealing the the rare cold I occasionally catch I always make sure I have this product (and its daytime counterpart) in my medicine cabinet. It's effective and has a decent shelf life, getting my husband and I usually through two seasons if we each get something once or twice.

The red liquid isn't particularly tasty, but it goes down easily and seems to kick in quicker than the pills. I'll take the dose right before bed time and while I wouldn't say it knocks me out it does seem to help me relax a bit; more importantly it helps relieve the congestion, pressure in my head, and fevers enough to let me actually go to sleep. I am not sure how long it 'lasts' as I tend to wake up feeling pretty crummy when I am sick, dosed the night before or not, but I don't wake up in the middle of the night feeling worse.

I tend to buy the larger sized bottle to get a better value, and there's usually coupons during the 'season' when its a more popular purchase. I'll keep using this product as needed.

Great for Nasty Colds

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

I've never been one for nighttime specific cold medications but I happened to be staying in a hotel when I had a particularly nasty cold and the hotel shop only offered a small selection of remedies, including Vicks NyQuil. Since I love the Vicks brand I decided to give it a try.

This does work. Wow does it work! While it tastes completely vile going down and has an unfortunate lingering aftertaste it is worth the short term discomfort to experience the long term relief.

I take this right before bed - preferably while actually in bed - and it knocks me right out for the entire night - 8 to 12 hours. I cannot use this when I have to work the next day, but it's great on the weekends when I need rest along with symptom relief.

I wake up the following morning feeling refreshed and my symptoms are always significantly reduced. There is simply no coughing or runny nose after a dose.

I definitely highly recommend this for those who really need to get some sleep while they treat their cold. It's priceless.

• Cough Suppression:

Nyquil cold and flu liquid

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

Nyquil is usually the go to medicine when your sick and can not sleep do to coughing, congestion, and feverish body aches. Not only does this medicine help relieve some of your worst cold and flu symptoms, but it knocks you out so you can finally get a good nights rest and hopefully feel better in the morning. I typically take this when my cough and congestion are so bad and I can't get any rest. It knocks me out quickly and makes me sleep for up to twelve hours. My two complaints are that it tastes really nasty and that I am super groggy the entire next day. I do wake up less sick though so I just deal with it.

Congestion Relief
        Helps clear up nasal congestion and drains your sinuses a little bit so your head does not feel as stuffy.

Chest Congestion Relief
        Helps some of the congestion in my chest but not as well as my nose.

Relief of Aches & Pains
        Well it does a great job of making me sleep so I do not feel my aches and pains!

Cough Suppression
        Suppresses cough for most of the night, so you can actually get some rest.

works well

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

My husband swears by Nyquil, it is hos go to when he has a bad cold. I have found that it works well, and helps me to sleep, however the liquid gives me acid reflux. It obviously makes you drowsy for nighttime relief, and a lot of healing happens when you sleep well.

Congestion Relief
        For me the sinus congestion does not break up as easy as the chest congestion. The Nyquil helps but it doesn't relieve much.

Chest Congestion Relief
        Does a great job of breaking up the mucous and dispelling it from your body. Colds are seriously gross business, but I guess someone has to do it, right!?

Relief of Aches & Pains
        Usually asleep when this is working so not sure how well it works, but must work well because I can sleep.

Cough Suppression
        My coughs are always hard to suppress, so it is probably just me but I still cough a lot even when I take the medicine. Probably also comes form how well the Nyquil is at relieving chest congestion, it breaks up the mucous and you could more to expel it.

• Cough Suppression:

Keep this in your medicine cabinet!

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine:

When I feel a cold coming on I take Vicks NyQuil Cold & Flu Relief Liquid Medicine. Depending on my schedule I like to take this medicine and go to sleep because that's when it's most effective for me. I have on occasion fought off the drowsiness and remained awake and felt very lethargic. I take one to two teaspoons and fall a sleep within 15 minutes. I usually wake up about 6 hours later feeling much better, but not 100%. My throat and nasal passages are usually extremely dry after taking NyQuil, which is a good thing compared to having a constant runny nose, painful coughing, and sneezing. I end up taking NyQuil for about a week at the most and it really provides relief while the cold/flu runs its course. I notice around the fourth day of using NyQuil it no longer has the same drowsy affect on me. I can take it in the middle of the day and not have to worry about falling a sleep. It still provides relief, but the drowsy effect is void.