Other Cold & Flu Medicines:
Mucinex
Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant

Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant

• Cough Suppression:

This seems to be helping me!

An onslaught of a nasty case of "viral asthma" a few years ago changed my life forever.  The chronic condition which resulted is not serious, as asthma goes, but it can create an annoying chest congestion which tends to build up to a point which sets off an attack of heroic coughing and struggling to "clear the decks" which sometimes leaves me wheezing and exhausted. The disgusting commercials featuring little green mucus people gave me an idea and yesterday I picked up a package of **Mucinex Expectorant** (Maximum Strength).

**STATS:**

The active ingredient in **Mucinex Expectorant** is 1,200 mg. Guaifenesin whose job (according to package information) is to *loosen phlegm (mucus) and bronchial secretions to rid the broncial passageways of bothersome mucus and make coughs more productive*.  Inactive ingredients include carbomer 934P, NF; FD&C blue #1 aluminum lake, hypromellose, USP, magnesium stearate, NF; microcrystalline cellulose, NF; sodium starch glycolate, NF.

**WHAT WERE THEY THINKING:**

One problem which immediately presents itself is the sheer **size** of these oblong tablets.  My guess is that some people are going to have a problem swallowing these and breaking them in half doesn't seem to be a viable option.  I can't imagine what the people who designed this medicine were thinking -- surely it would have been better to just make a dosage consist of two smaller pills instead of one whopper.

**MY VIEWPOINT:**

Upon checking the package information, I find that I should have discussed **Mucinex Expectorant** with my doctor in view of my chronic chest congestion problem.  I will say, however, that 24 hours (and two gigantic pills) after starting myself on **Mucinex Expectorant**, I feel better and am coughing less because it now takes less coughing to get the job done.  Looks like Reckitt Benckiser, Inc. of Parsippany, NJ, have come up with a winner.

Now, if they would just "86" those disgusting commercials, I'll be happy!

Congestion Relief
Very effective in helping to clear things up.

Chest Congestion Relief
Really stepped up to the plate and helped.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Another plus for this product.

Cough Suppression
This didn't stop my coughing but it soothed it somewhat and made my coughing more efficient when it came to clearing my chest.

Mucus be gone, Ya right

We have all seen the commerical with the little green mucus guy carrying in is suitcase and how Mucinex just clears him away with one large cough.  Well I don't really stand behind that...Read complete review

We have all seen the commerical with the little green mucus guy carrying in is suitcase and how Mucinex just clears him away with one large cough.  Well I don't really stand behind that commerical.

Mucinex is a good medication if you have a mild common cold or just mostly a sinus cold. It can help releive some of the pressure you feeling under your eyes.  My doctor told me to use it on my kids who are usually very healthy so they have strong Immune Systems to begin with.  But the Mucinex can only really help until you become sicker.  It is more of a early prevenative if you take it at the right time, right after you start to feel congested.

My Grandmother suffers from COPD ( Chronic Obstrution Pluminary Disease) and when she becomes Ill it usually effects her lungs first and the hardest.  When Mucinex first came out the Doctor told her to try it and see if it could help her with the heavy amount of mucus.  She Tryed it and it was the worst thing she could have done.  She was admitted into the Hospital for Pnemonia that started as a cold.  The mucinex did what it was suppose to, it thined out the mucus but the medication thinned it out so much she was unable to cough the mucus out and her lungs began to fill with fluid.  After she become better the Doctor told her to never use mucinex ever again.

There needs to be a warning on the Mucinex label stating that it should be taken with the first signs of sinus pressure or cold and to first seek the advice of a doctor about using the Mucinex after the cold has become congestion in the chest.  If mucinex is taking after a infection has set in it might do more harm than good.  It all depends on the individual and how healthy they are and how strong their Immune Sysytem is to begin with.

necessary to use

from Browns Mills NJ

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Effective
  • Relieves Symptoms Fast

• Congestion
    • Cough
    • Runny Nose & Sneezing

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

fast and long acting medicine that does the job.

Miracle medicine

from Tulsa Oklahoma

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer
    • Effective
    • Good Flavor
    • No Side Effects
    • Promotes Healing
    • Relieves Symptoms Fast

• Congestion
      • Cough
      • Itchy Eyes
      • Runny Nose & Sneezing
      • Sore Throat

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

Works wonders and does not cause drowsiness.

Great for colds

from Utah

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

I have used this Mucinex expectorant to try to help clear up the congestion from colds. I used to use Great Value products, but I have found that Mucinex works much better for me.

Congestion Relief
      When I get a cold, I get a lot of congestion in my head, especially when I lie down at night. It can be extremely difficult for me to sleep well when my nose gets congested and I need to breathe through my mouth. But this expectorant does a great job of clearing up that congestion. It does make my nose run more for a few days, as it is clearing out the junk. But after a few days, I notice definitively that the congestion is lowered or gone completely even as some of the other symptoms of the cold persist (symptoms that come from the virus that a medicine can't completely destroy until it runs it's course).

Cough Suppression
      The main downside to this particular expectorant is that it does not do a good job of cough suppression, although this is not what it is designed for. I started using this one, but now I use the Mucinex expectorant with cough suppression to try to kill two birds with one stone.

• Cough Suppression:

Cool off Label Use....not great on congestion.

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant is not my favorite when I have a cough or a cold. The purpose of Mucinex is to break up congestion, which is does. The issue is that it because it's breaking up the congestion I turn into a hacking mess. I would not recommend taking this at night as you will never sleep! It is good for a day you know you will be spending at home, but for me it is impossible to work after taking this as my congestion is so much looser I am coughing all over the place. The neat thing about Mucinex is that since it works to thin out mucus it can actually help you to get pregnant! Awesome if you are trying, but if you have a cold and are on antibiotics, then take this on top, you have nullified your birth control and made your uterus prime for fertilization so be careful! Overall this product does what it is supposed to do, I just have no interest in moving secretions when I'm ill. I need a suppressant not an expectorant.

• Cough Suppression:

A great product to help with coughing

from Oakwood Vlg., OH

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

What I really like most about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant is that it doesn't give me side effects like jitteriness or being off balance. It loosens up my phlegm and helps me to eliminate it. It also makes it less painful for me to cough as well. It helps get rid of chest congestion and chest pain related to congestion. i like that when I take a dose that it's effects last for several hours too. I've taken it in the daytime and it doesn't effect my performance overall it helps it. I've taken it at night and slept better as well as woke up feeling better.

Congestion Relief
      This product gives great congestion relief.

Chest Congestion Relief
      Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant relieved my chest congestion and helped me with getting all the cold out of my chest much faster.

Relief of Aches & Pains
      This product helps very much with aches and pains due to my cold.

Cough Suppression
      Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant is one of the best products I have found for cough suppression out there.

love this product

from Bainbridge, OH

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

I have used this product for years and have come to depend on it for relieving congestion when I get a cold. When you have chest congestion it helps to loosen and break up the congestion so that it doesn't feel so tight and miserable. I think it helps shorten the cold.When my husband was being treated for cancer of the larynx his doctors recommended this specific Mucinex formula to help relieve mucus and keep him more comfortable. It is the first product we go to when either of us get a cold. If it is good enough for a major cancer center to recommend it, it is good enough for me! It helps keep you from waking up with that tight feeling in your chest and throat. It works to break up the congestion so that you can cough more productively to and help you to beat the cold. It is comparable to other cold remedies in price and it works! I hate the drowsy, light-headed feeling you get from some cold medicines. You never get that with Mucinex. I love this product!

• Cough Suppression:

It works on tough congestion

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

I have fought all my life with congestion, which worsens with a cold. I have tried just about everything on the market and would still end up so congested I couldn't lay down to sleep at night. Mucinex maximum actually clears me up enough to function and sleep without any harsh side effects. Not only does it help get rid of the congestion, but it helps to keep it from hanging around for a long time. Instead of it taking weeks to get rid of, I get the congestion gone and out in a week or less, without having to miss work or staying in bed all day exhausted.

Congestion Relief
      works quickly and for most of the day

Chest Congestion Relief
      about the only thing that gets to my thick chest congestion

Relief of Aches & Pains
      I don't really get a lot of aches and pains so I can't say that it does well or not well with it. But it helps to prevent pains I would have had from coughing up phlegm all the time

Cough Suppression
      For a pure cough without thick congestion, I would go with dayquil in pill form,

• Cough Suppression:

My must-have during cold and allergy season

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

I am one of the fortunate people who suffers from seasonal allergies. The effects can vary from a sneeze here and there to full blown congestion and coughing. I never know what each day can bring me, so it is important for me to always have Mucinex on hand.

Mucinex is meant to loosen up mucus. Doctors have told me to use it whenever I'm having chest congestion (a bad cold or even sinus infection can lead to that fun cough deep in the chest). The directions tell you to drink a glass of water with the pill, and I agree that helps a lot. I also recommend you continue drinking as it will help with soreness of the throat from coughing. And you will cough. Productively. Sometimes the things that come out are gross (always have tissue at the ready when taking this product-you are bound to cough up a mouth full of grossness), but rest assured this product is helping loosen up that phlegm so you can get it cleared out. I never go through this time of year without it on hand.

Not a miracle product

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

I bought Mucinex hoping to relieve some of the congestion that I face on an everyday basis. I've found that the product doesn't really hold up to its claim, and that there are in fact much better decongestant products or even alternative methods out there. Maybe it just didn't work for me but it didn't seem to clear away any of the congestion or provide any real sort of relief.
      On top of that, the pill is huge and while it wasn't a huge deal for me to swallow, I can imagine a lot of people who normally have problems swallowing pills having an especially hard time getting this one to go down.
      I think there are better things that you can try, but personally it didn't work for me.

Congestion Relief
      I didn't really get any relief from this product. I still had quite a bit of congestion even after using it for several days.

Chest Congestion Relief
      Again, I had the same amount of congestion, I feel like the product did nothing for me.

Relief of Aches & Pains
      I did feel a bit less sensitive after using the product, but that could be the result of a lot of factors, but I did notice some difference.

Cough Suppression
      I did cough less while on Mucinex, but it still didn't clear my congestion.

My go to for coughs.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Mucinex Maximum Strength Expectorant:

I had a horrible cough for about two weeks straight and no amount of ignoring it would do the trick. I did not have health insurance at the time and there was no way that I could afford going to the doctor or getting a prescription. I bought this and figured it was worth a shot as many people have said that they really liked Mucinex and that it helped them to feel better fast. I took this before bedtime hoping it would help me to sleep as well and to my surprise I slept so much better and did not wake up all night hacking up a lung. I felt a lot better by morning and my cough had become a lot less harsh and I noticed that I was not coughing up as much nasty mucus like I had been before. After taking this medicine like clockwork for two days I was back to my old self and felt 100% better. Now this is the first medicine that I go for if I ever feel like I am getting a cold or I have a cough, it helps keep the cold at bay and I feel better much faster than I do with any other over the counter medicines.