Other Cold & Flu Medicines:
Cold & Flu Relief, Effervescent Tablets
Alka-Seltzer
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough

Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough

Pros

• Easy to administer (5)
  • Effective (5)
  • Relieves symptoms fast (5)
  • Good flavor (4)
  • No side effects (4)

• Congestion (5)
  • Cough (5)
  • Runny nose & sneezing (5)
  • Sore throat (5)
  • Aches & pains (4)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Healthy adult (4)

Relieves cold symptoms very effectively & very quickly.

I hate having a cold. I don't want cold symptoms such as a stubborn cough, congestion, sneezing, aching all over, sinus headaches, and/or a nasty, runny nose making me miserable. I use many different Over The Counter cold and cough medications to get me through until my cold runs it's course and jumps on someone else.

One of my favorite OTC cold medications is **Alka-seltzer Plus Cold and Cough Liquid Gels** because these purple liquid gels relieve all of my cold symptoms very effectively and very quickly. I don't have to take anything but two of these gel caps and I feel human again!

The product's features are:

- *Fast Relief of Cough, Nasal Congestion, Runny Nose, Headache and Body Ache, and Sinus Pressure*

- *Contains Acetaminophen (pain reliever and fever reducer), Chlorpheniramine Maleate (antihistamine), Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide (cough suppressant) and Phenylephrine Hydrochloride, which is a nasal decongestant.*

- *Temporarily reduces fever*

**Alka-seltzer Plus Cold and Cough Liquid Gels** make me a bit drowsy sometimes, but they don't knock me out or make me where I can't function. They don't make my heart race, either, which is something I cannot stand! They simply relieve the symptoms of my cold and they do it extremely well.

I consider **Alka-seltzer Plus Cold and Cough Liquid Gels** to be one of the best 'all in one' OTC cold medications on the market. They may be a little more expensive than other brands, but they are worth the cost because they work so well.

In my opinion, this is a 5 star product and I very highly recommend it.

Congestion Relief
Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine very quickly and very effectively relieves congestion.

Chest Congestion Relief
If you have a cod that includes chest congestion, I would recommend using Mucinex DM instead of this product. Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine doesn't contain a cough expectorant, so it's not effective in relieving chest congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
The Acetaminophen in this product helps relieve aches and pains and it helps reduce fever very effectively.

Cough Suppression
The Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide in Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough Medicine works quickly and very effectively in suppressing even the most stubborn cough.

DISGUSTING

I tried this stuff recently when I was sick because this is what my dad uses and he told me to try it. I am not sure if it made me feel better or worse. It was abolutely horrible. It tasted nasty and left a nasty taste in your mouth. The only good thing about it was that right after taking it I was able to go to sleep. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the medicine or if I was just tired of being sick and I needed to go to sleep. I think if they changed this up a little and made it so it didn't taste so gross or have the nasty after taste I would try to use it again. That was the worst part about the whole experience. I could seriously taste it in my mouth for a good two houre after I took it. I know that this medicine works great for others but it didn't work so well for me. I will stick to my tylenol cold and sinus for now until they decided to change things about this especially the taste.

Get before it starts

from Augusta, GA

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer
  • Effective
  • Promotes Healing
  • Relieves Symptoms Fast

Cons

• Poor Taste/Smell

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

As soon as me and my family start feeling like we are getting a cold, we start taking it. Usually knocks it out before we get too bad. If I encounter people who are sick, I usually tell them about my experience with this product and recommend that they try it too!

Only thing my husband uses!

from Houston

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer
  • Effective
  • Good Flavor
  • Non Drowsy
  • No Side Effects
  • Relieves Symptoms Fast

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

My husband had me try this because it's all he uses. He's a mechanic and can't get drowsy at work. As soon as he feels weird, he takes it and it gets him through the day. I ordered a free sample via coupon. He showed me a trick with this particular flavor! Use hot water! It goes down like a soothing tea almost.

same ole same ole

from Grand Rapids,MI

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

all these worthless cold and flu products have the exact same ingredients that cause liver damage and do very little to relieve the symptoms alka-seltzer is no different no not a dime bit

I've been using this for years. It's wonderful.

from Middle of nowhere

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer
    • Effective
    • Good Flavor
    • No Side Effects
    • Promotes Healing
    • Relieves Symptoms Fast

Cons

• Poor Taste/Smell

• Itchy Eyes

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

I've been using Cough and Cold for years and recommend this all the time. I don't mind the taste myself, but understand it's difficult for a lot of people.

I think the fizzies start working much faster than the gels. The gel-caps are handy when you need to take a dose to work.

A super easy way to get the dose down if don't like it--Only use a very small amount of icy cold water to dissolve the tablets. Less than half a small juice glass full, 1 or 2 swallows. Take it fast like a cowboy downing a shot. Follow it with a glass of water.

I have a friend that makes it like a cup of hot tea and sips it.

A LIFE SAVER

from Huntingdon, TN

About Me Have Medical Condition

Pros

• Easy To Administer
    • Effective
    • Good Flavor
    • Helps Me Rest
    • No Side Effects
    • Relieves Symptoms Fast

• Emergencies
      • Itchy Eyes
      • Relieves Stopped Up Nose

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

It's AWESOME! The only thing I've found 2 relieve all my syptoms FAST!!!

the best

from Great Neck, NY

About Me Healthy Adult

Pros

• Easy To Administer
      • Effective
      • Good Flavor
      • No Side Effects
      • Relieves Symptoms Fast

• Emergencies

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

the best I have found to ward off and contain a cold

Never thought Alka Seltzer would be this amazing.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

My mom recommend me to try the Alka Seltzer Plus Cold and Cough, and I'm so glad that she did. I never thought that Alka Seltzer Plus Cold and Cough would given me this much relief when I was sick, and so fast too! It targets all of the key problems I have when I'm sick like fever, aches & pains, runny nose, congestion, etc. It even worked great for my allergies when they were out of control. I'm usually a miserable person when I'm sick (who isn't), but it made it so much easier to get through the day. It also helped me to sleep great too.

The Alka Seltzer Plus Cold and Cough has acetaminophen (pain reliever/fever reducer), chlorpheniramine maleate ( antihistamine), dextromethorphan hydrobromide (cough suppressant), and phenylephrine hydrochloride (nasal decongestant). It has all of the key ingredients to get you on your way and feeling better in no time.

The only downside about this product is that it doesn't taste that great. It has a citrus flavor but it tastes more like a medicine seltzer water, which I'm not a fan of at all. But I can suck it up since this works so well.

I also would probably only take this is you are going to be home for the day, and trying to get rest because the antihistamine will make you feel a bit drowsy.

But overall I would definitely recommend this product because it works better then a lot of over the counter medicines, you just have to stomach swallowing it. I always keep these at home just in case I start to feel a cold coming on.

Congestion Relief
        It has phenylephrine hydrochloride, which is a nasal decongestant. It did a really good job at getting rid of my nasal decongestion, and runny nose. I felt like it was much easier to breathe, and that it broke up the mucus that was stuck in my nasal passages fast. I felt relief in less than twenty minutes. It was easier to get all of the mucus out of my system without anymore pain.

Chest Congestion Relief
        It broke up all of the congestion in my chest and lungs. It made it easier to breathe, and my chest felt much less painful too. I didn't feel like I was wheezing trying to breathe anymore, and I felt like it completely cleared up my chest entirely.

Relief of Aches & Pains
        It has acetaminophen, which helped me with the minor aches and pains I had from being sick. It also got rid of my headache, and pressure I had in my head. I had a fever and the acetaminophen made me feel much better.

Cough Suppression
        I was completely surprised at how well the Alka Seltzer suppressed my coughing. I was even more surprised that it had dextromethorphan hydrobromide, which is a great cough suppressant. It made my throat very moisturized, and kept me from coughing all throughout the day.

Horrible Taste

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

Although this medication seems to be very effective in this effervescent tablet form it is by far the worst tasting medication I have ever tried. I had to literally choke down the cup of water I used to dissolve my two tablets into and still could not finish the whole cup. I will not be purchasing it again because I do not believe it is effective unless it is something I can actually take. This one time that I did use it though it worked very well eliminating my congestion and cough. This medication contains a pain relieving/fever reducing ingredient, an antihistamine, cough suppressant and nasal decongestant making this a very effective all purpose cold and flu medication that can eliminate all related symptoms. If you can get past the taste of these effervescent tablets than it is a good medication for you. Alka seltezer plus is also available in other forms though too such as liquid gel tablets and mix in powders.

• Cough Suppression:

Never knew alka seltzer could do this!

from Sneads Ferry, NC

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

I was really interested in trying Alka Seltzer plus cough and cold medicine after seeing it on a commercial. The commercial claimed that it works better then other medicines at relieving cough and cold symptoms so I was interested enough to purchase it! I have to say overall I am highly impressed with this product. Beforehand I had never known what alka seltzer was actually for!
        How you use this medicine is you dissolve the tablet in water and it fizzes and dissolves. It does a great job at dissolving completely and it's smooth going down and doesn't taste atrociously, it has a nice citrus flavor actually.
        I thought this alka seltzer cough and cold tablets worked very well at reducing my cold symptoms I was experiencing which was a mild cough and stuffy and runny nose. It made me feel so much more like my normal self then I had ever experienced with any type of cold medicine so it definitely lived up it it's advertised claims! I also think that it helped me heal faster.
        Overall I would highly recommend these tablets over other cold medicines for anyone suffering with a cold!

Not Sure It is Worth the Taste

from VA

Comments about Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough:

I absolutely hate taking any kind of liquid medicines. Give me a pill any day, I just can't take the liquids without gagging. But my mom swears by the Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold & Cough, and says it works really well without the nastiness of liquid medicines. ugh. I am really not sure about that. I found the taste to be horrible, and on top of that, you have to consume way more than you would with a regular liquid medication. It was REALLY hard to get it all down. And it left a nasty after taste in my mouth as well. Blech. Over all it was just ok as far as relieving my symptoms. It did help with the aches and pains, but as far as the congestion or cough, it really didn't do much for me at all. Well, it did maybe temporarily, like most medications. But after about an hour or so the cough and congestion seemed to kick right back in full force. I just don't think I can balance out the taste vs the benefits on this one. I would rather gag down some nyquil and at least get a couple hours relief compared to this stuff.