Other Body Lotions:
Vaseline
Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly

Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly

Pros

• Goes on smoothly (8)
  • Absorbs quickly (7)
  • Softens skin (7)
  • Moisturizes well (6)
  • Compact (5)

Cons

• Greasy (3)

• Dry/chapped skin (6)
  • Infants (6)
  • Winter dryness (6)
  • After shower/bath (5)
  • Bedtime (5)
    • Absorption:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Budget shopper (7), Grandparent (3)

Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly: Perfect Relief for Dry Skin

What do you do when you have dry skin? Do you reach for a bottle of lotion, or seek out a different from of relief and healing? Lotions offer some advantages, but the product I like best for this purpose is **Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly. **This product has been helping skin stay moisturized for decades and it offers great versatility. Let’s take a look at the basics of this product:

**Petroleum Jelly Commentary:**

Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly is a thick, white colored salve sold in a small, plastic container. It is greasy to the touch and can be used for a multitude of purposes such as protecting burns, healing dry skin and chapped lips, preventing diaper rash, and removing make-up. Its versatility is well- established and many individuals swear by its healing properties.

Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly is used in my household primarily to remove make- up and to help moisturize and heal dry skin. I reach for Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly to treat dry, cracked knuckles- a condition I often experience during the colder months of the year. A small amount of Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly spread on the knuckles and other dry patches on the skin is all it takes to moisturize and relieve the dryness.

Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly is greasy to the touch and this fact will certainly turn- off some potential users. I agree that lotions feel better and usually smell better, too. However, Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly moisturizes more effectively than basic lotions and its thick, greasy texture makes it difficult to remove from the skin. This latter quality is bad when you want to permanently remove the product because it requires greater effort. On the other hand, it means that the product stays in place, protecting the skin better than the typical lotion. Lotions usually wear off sooner than you would like them to, requiring a second treatment. But Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly stays in place better, keeping the skin moisturized and protected.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly is a very good product for skin protection and it still ranks as my favorite dry skin treatment. Sure, other products smell nicer and are sold in prettier packages with better dispensers. But Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly is a reliable protectant that is certain to improve dry skin conditions from chapped lips to dry hands and beyond. It does cost more than comparable store brands of the same product, but its consistent reliability is worth the extra money.

Scent is bland

Absorption
Moisturizes the skin, but doesn't absorb very well

Wroks very well at moisturizing, even though it is greasy

Alternatives to Vaseline will actually nourish & protect skin

This review will not be popular because Vaseline 100% Petroleum Jelly is a skin care product that has been tried, tested and trusted for decades by Women on their skin and by Moms for babies. However, I think just because Vaseline has endured does not mean that it's the best product out there or even that it does it's job the best. Petroleum Jelly is a refined derivative of crude oil (yes, just like gasoline) that can seal moisture into the skin and for many years was a preferred sealant because it was cheap, widely available and could be used on sensitive skin without irritation.

Today though, many natural emollient waxes and butters like Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil (actually a wax), Mango Butter and others also seal moisture in but do so while nourishing the skin at the same time.

I do not like this product nor can I recommend it because Vaseline 100% Petroleum Jelly is simply comprised of a hydrocarbon and fragrance. Now, petrolatum will seal moisture into the skin but unfortunately does nothing else. It works fine if all you need from a product is a non irritant barrier that will seal in moisture but with so many alternatives available today that will actually nourish and protect skin, your money is better spent elsewhere.

With increased consumer awareness about what goes into skin care products these days means there are so many products available today that were not in the past, products formulated with Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil, Mango Butter and others are common on the personal care aisle in any gorcery or super market.

Unlike Vaseline, these butters and waxes will perform double duty as a barrier preventing the skin from losing moisture while also imparting vitamins and nutrients that nourish skin.

Beneficial and multipurpose

from NC

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Absorbs Quickly
  • Goes On Smoothly
  • Long Lasting
  • Moisturizes Well
  • Softens Skin

Cons

• Too Greasy or Heavy

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

Vaseline is one of those products that everyone should have in their household. It is not only great for moisturizing but can be used for many other things as well. I sometimes use it as a highlighter or when I'm feeling extra I apply more highlighter on top of the vaseline. It gives off such a great glow! You can also apply a small amount of vaseline on your wrist and spray your favorite perfume, and you will smell incredible all day long! My favorite use for vaseline has to be applying it to my eyebrows and eyelashes every night. It really helps with the regrowth of my eyelashes and brows.

Actually is a first aid kit in a jar

from Augusta, GA

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Goes On Smoothly
  • Moisturizes Well

Cons

• Too Greasy or Heavy

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

Vaseline is the best for people with sensitive skin and allergies since it has no perfumes and the ingredients are pure.

Great product

from Canada

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Absorbs Quickly
  • Goes On Smoothly
  • Long Lasting
  • Softens Skin

Cons

• Too Greasy or Heavy

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

Great on babies and adults too.

A "Always on Hand" in my home

from Sparta, TN

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Absorbs Quickly
  • Goes On Smoothly
  • Long Lasting
  • Moisturizes Well
  • Not Greasy
  • Softens Skin

• Chapped Lips

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

I use this products on my self as moisturizer and for chapped lips. I use it for all my kids from newborn to 15 for eczema. Perfect for the cracked skin behind my baby's ears.

Miracle worker

from Perry. Florida

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Absorbs Quickly
    • Goes On Smoothly
    • Softens Skin

• For diaper rash

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

I have found that this works great on my son for diaper rash. He has very sensitive skin and easily get rashes and this works better than anything else I've used

I love this stuff. It helps with dry cracked skin.

from Beverly Hills, CA

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Absorbs Quickly
      • Goes On Smoothly
      • Moisturizes Well
      • Softens Skin

Cons

• Not Long-Lasting

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

I use this product for my dry winter skin. I also have Eczema and it soothes it. I put on a glove to lock in the moisture and I use it for my lips for chapped lips.

A tried and true classic.

from Philadelphia, pa

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Absorbs Quickly
      • Goes On Smoothly
      • Long Lasting
      • Moisturizes Well
      • Not Greasy
      • Softens Skin

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

There really isn't anything bad that I can say about Vaseline petroleum jelly. It is a true classic that holds up well. Works great. Makes my skin and lips soft. Will buy over and over.

Best buy for the whole family

from nc

About Me Brand Buyer

Pros

• Absorbs Quickly
        • Goes On Smoothly
        • Long Lasting
        • Moisturizes Well
        • Softens Skin

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

Our family has been using this forever. Excellent on baby rashes leaving no odor and no burning like some moisturizers. Great on chapped lips and dry noses in the winters. Especially helpful on older skin also. It goes on smooth and it softens the skin making it more pliable and less prone to cracking. Grease up chapped feet and tuck them into cotton socks overnight for smooth happy feet. Versatile and effective. A hosuehold staple

Cheap go to

from parker, az

Pros

• Compact
          • Trusted

Cons

• Heavy

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

I love this stuff. It has been around a long time and it is good for lip gloss, chaffing legs, and lotion.

Repeated Buyer

from Livingston, TX

About Me Grandparent

Pros

• Attractive Design
            • Comfortable
            • Compact

• Adults
              • Children
              • Infants
              • Old Folks

Comments about Vaseline Original 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly:

Through the years I have found a variety of uses and am not sure I can even remember all of them. One time I had a cut that formed a had scab and broke open, due to dryness and was painful, so I applied Vaseline petroleum jelly, then a new bandaid. I found it softened my scab overnight; and the one use was enough to aid healing. It is excellent for diaper rashes, and other skin problems since it provides a cushiion against abrasive rubbing of skin from diapers or from cloth rubbing tender areas. I have used on rough skin on heels, then put on thick socks and slept in those toprotect floors from greasy spots during the night. I have used this as an emergency remedy for chapped lips when had no other product on hand especially during winters since we have winds blowing that drys skin and if one forgets and runs tongue around lips, they chap quickly. I keep a big bottle on hand.due to unexpectedly needing to have a al ayer to protect skin from a variety of conditions. This is one of the Name brands a person can depend upon and I hae learned to trust this brand. I am willing to try store brands of many things, but never would when need petroleum jelly/