3.7

3.7

Pros

Cons

Best Choice for My Associate's in Accounting

I decided to attend Axia College of University of Phoenix after attending several other colleges. I finally finished my last classes last week for my Associate's in Accounting. The course load is heavy, but your education is really what you put into it. I never felt like I was getting a sub par education and had to work my butt off to maintain my 3.5 grade point average. There were a couple instructors that were not necessarily helpful, but that is not unique to University of Phoenix. You can find bad instructors every where. I feel that I learned a lot and received a great education. I will be starting their Bachelor's program for accounting in May 09 and look forward to obtaining that.

One thing to remember is that a lot of people are quick to write many negative reviews online. Some reviews I have read mentioned the work load was too heavy for them. There were many nights I was up late reading and reviewing course work so that I knew I had it down. Time management is the most important thing you can learn if you think online courses are for you. This is not a run in the park, you have to figure out how to manage a full-time job, family, and course work. Other reviews mention that financial aid is a hassle. Let me say that financial aid is a hassle every where. University of Phoenix is one of the only schools that I have not had a problem with, but I must mention that I stayed on top of my financial aid and know what is paid, when they are pulling loans, and asked many questions if something concerned me. My financial aid counselor was great and quick to respond.

I did have one academic counselor that was not much help, but requested a new counselor and was given one that was absolutely great. He was quick to respond and was very patient and helpful with all my questions. What you take away from any program (online or in a traditional classroom) is up to you. I personally would rather study and learn information at home than sitting in a classroom and listening to lectures. Given that my life and day-to-day activities will not allow me to go to a traditional school, University of Phoenix works well for me. My goal is to go on and obtain my Master's in Accounting and sit for the CPA exam. As long as I study hard and remain on course, my goals can be accomplished through University of Phoenix and I am glad to have that option.

Don't waste your time or money.

*{Important note before reading this review:  I have had several negative replies to my review and I feel I need to clarify that **I did NOT attend UoP,**and I am not reviewing UoP, **I am reviewing Axia College**, because that is where I went; an entirely different animal from UoP with a much different online classroom environment. However, I DID graduate with a 3.85 GPA in June of 2008}*

I decided that the online experience was what was for me when I moved out here to help my ailing father who has since passed away. I was going to work part-time at night so that I could do my classes during the day and help my father while my step-mother worked during the day.  Once the phone calls from UoP started they just wouldn't stop!!!! And then come to find out, UoP didn't have what I needed so I had to go thru Axia to begin my associates degree in business which isn't what I wanted in the first place.  I wanted an AA in education which UoP doesn't have and that's why I had to go that route. They told me I had to go that route in order to get my bachelors in education afterwards.  So I went ahead and signed up - after being **HOUNDED**by the enrollment counselor - got my financial aide situated and signed into the student website.  Well, my enrollment counselor didn't give me a proper "walk through class" and consequently, I failed my first two courses because I had absolutely NO idea what I was doing, as well as being a bit of a computer novice at that time!!!  Fortunately, my financial counsellor realized it **was an Axia mistake** and I wasn't charged for the classes out of pocket.

The teachers are robotic and are more like proctors instead of real teachers.  Only one or two of them actually ever participated in the classroom discussion and one actually refused to give the correct answers to an assignment claiming students have a tendency to pass them along to the next group of upcoming students, and how anybody is able to do that is beyond me!!  Another refused to offer some lenience with a late penalty when I was in the hospital with my now *very* ill father (who has since deceased) and was not at a computer for three days; no, I don't have a laptop and school work is not a priority when you are dealing with a hospitalized parent (would schoolwork be a priority for *anyone* with an immediate family member who is hospitalized?).

The Axia server tends to be inconstant, and according to their policy, server issues are not a valid excuse for late assignments; which means to me they don't want to take responsibility for it being their fault your assignment is late, and at the time I was going, being able to email assignments to teachers was not an option.

I rate this school as extremely poor and I will not continue my education with Axia or the University of Phoenix and I find it a quite telling that the list of cons from the review of UoP is much, much longer than the pros.....

Graduate student

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

I first started attending UoPX in 2009 and earned both my Associate's and Bachelor's degrees. I am currently in the Masters program and enjoy the online learning experience very much.
The AA program required two classes at a time at nine weeks each. The BS program required only one class at a time at five weeks each, BUT you only earn three credits per class. The Masters program is six weeks (with the exception of an eight week class) that earns only three credits per class.
I had the old classroom and was introduced to the new classroom layout at the end of my undergraduate program. I find that it takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it is much better.
I enjoy working within the learning team setting, although there always seems to be at least one person in the bunch who tries to ride the back of others instead of completing the work on his or her own.
My instructor's have been extremely helpful, except for one who posted discussion questions the first week and disappeared. I dropped the class and got another instructor.
I am pushing 50-years-old and am disabled, so I find this type of learning environment right up my alley. The school is very accommodating and the academic representatives have been so helpful.
Like others have mentioned, the finance advisors are lacking and, I still cannot understand the disbursement letters when financial aid finally comes through! My biggest gripe is that the closest campus to me is more than 50 miles away, so I have to depend on the online University Library -- and I get lost in there!

It has become a family college

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

I have been a student for three years now. I have finished my associates in business management and working on my bachelors in Business Management with a concentration in finance. I have enjoyed the school and learned a lot. I am in my 40's and this was a perfect way to finish my degree. My son and daughter have now finished their associates with the University of Phoenix. The only complaint that I have with the school is their finance department. It takes a long time to receive your part of the student loans. The classroom is great for the associates program but they have recently changed it for the bachelor's making it more difficult to navigate.

Class Selection
The class selection is set up almost the same for everyone completing that degree. The school is very understanding if you want to switch classes around to meet your own schedule.

Teaching Quality
Teaching quality changes with each instructor that you have. Some instructors give you no guidance and just expect that you can do everything on your own. Other instructors go above and beyond to insure you have learned the information

Financial Aid
I have been very upset many times with the financial department. I would say this would be the only reason I would not recommend the university.

Accreditation
The school is accredited and accepts student loans along with grants.

Worst 1st Impression on Online Colleges

from Dallastown, PA

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

I completed 1 full semester and withdrew. After the first 2 weeks of classes I was already unmotivated, bored and disappointed in the structure of University of Phoenix. I literally felt like I was taking fake courses through a fake online college. I don't see how they are so accredited and neither do a lot of employers. The only thing I gained from this experience was a lot of student loan debt.

Class Selection
If I had to pick one word for the class selection of University of Phoenix it would be, limited. I did not feel like the academic or elective courses were very interesting, nor did I feel they were beneficial to my overall academic goals.

Teaching Quality
I really feel like my professors were not that involved nor passionate about teaching the classes or about my academic success. My emails were never answered in a timely fashion and I got the feeling that they weren't even reading through my school work and just slapping a grade on it. Comments were always brief and generalized on almost every assignment.

Financial Aid
As far as being advised as to how to apply for and receive financial aid, everything went pretty smooth. The only problem I had with FA at all was the lack of help that was given to me when I decided to withdrawal. It felt like no one wanted to help me with anything after that.

Accreditation
University of Phoenix speaks very highly of their accreditation wherever they advertise. However, I have spoken to several graduates or those who received many credits from University of Phoenix and they either had a really hard time getting internships, hired after graduation or even being able to transfer credits to another college. I know some colleges do not accept credit transfers from there.

• Accreditation:

Helped with my Associates Degree.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

Being a full time worker, a wife, and a mom, I am so busy at times I don't even get a break for myself. I decided I needed to go back to school and finish my Associates Degree in business so I can move on and achieve higher dreams. I chose University of Phoenix because I had a friend who went there and loved it and they offered so many online options that I knew it would work out well for me with having very little time to do something, I could work it around my schedule. Signing up was easy and the lady I talked to in Financial aid was so helpful and helped me to get the money I needed to be able to pay for all of the courses I was taking. My advisor was great and made sure to check up on me all of the time and see how I was doing, she was so helpful through the whole educational process. All of my instructors were knowledgeable and so helpful whenever i needed any help or clarifications. I was able to achieve my degree and do it on my own time while still getting to be everything that my family needed to be. The only downside I have seen to this as I am now at a regular university for my bachelors and getting them to accept my associates was somewhat of a struggle.

• Accreditation:

It has its pros and cons

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

I became a University of Phoenix student in August of 2011. I was going for my Associates in Health Care Administration. I received my GED a month or so before I started at UOP. When I talked with the enrollment adviser he never once asked me about my GED or anything and that kind of nagged be for a minute but I continued on not thinking much about it. I started out paying about $900 for each class. I was 4 classes (take 2 classes per 9 weeks) away from receiving my degree before I had enough. They kept changing my financial aid adviser and my academic adviser. It kept messing up everything to the point that I withdrew from the classes and transferred to another school. I owe them $52 and that has already been sent to a collection agency. All 48 (I think) credits did transfer to my new school within a couple of weeks. Their classes are nice and I loved the way they had everything set up for each class and it was really easy to navigate. Their financial aid department wasn't that bad to me but I have heard nightmares but even the school I transferred from had problems. Overall it is a good school and I am even transferring back (the other school was worse) and going to change up to bachelors degree instead. This is a for-profit school so that is something to keep in mind. I have heard lots of people say that if you put in an application and you have UOP on there that they just chunk it. I would call around to your potential jobs to make sure. Mine did not care as long as I have the degree and I can do the job.

I am not a Phoenix

from Boston, MA

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

I opted to work with University of Phoenix as I thought it would be a good option for me as I have such a busy schedule and cannot commit to weekly classes that are several hours long. I enrolled in three classes and purchased materials for all of them and decided that I would be able to handle the course load but boy was I wrong. A typical classroom environment just cannot be achieved through online learning, professors at UOP try to force this by making you comment on X students works X times a week. This cannot happen if I set aside two hours two times a week or a whole Sunday as I have no idea when other students in my class will be online. When I reached out to my professors I was met with responses that equated to too bad for you. Given the cost of the courses which was really expensive I felt that classes should have been smaller and staff to be better. Tuition is on par with an Ivy league school and just because they have a huge marketing budget to flood the TV with commercials does not mean they have a good reputation. I am very unhappy with this school. They are too expensive, not friendly to the people they market to (working adults who have little time to commit to classes) and the professors that I encountered were educated but seemed highly incapable of being able to teach even though they were great at what they did. I have switched to a different online school and I am much more satisfied with them all around. University of Phoenix just misses the mark.

Class Selection
Class selection isn't bad compared to some universities as online learning is still getting a good footing. Some universities don't even offer this option.

Teaching Quality
The class sizes are large so teachers do not have the time to give each student the time they need if they need additional help. I also found some of the instructors to be slightly rude or seemingly arrogant which I was turned off from.

Financial Aid
Trying to obtain financial aid from this "school" was such a hassle. I filled out tons of paperwork and submitted everything on time to be offered nothing but loans. I was not happy with the financial aid department at all.

Accreditation
Even though this school is accredited, I don't think it looks classy on a resume to say that I graduated from the university of phoenix.

An Academic Challenge--Digitally

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

This was indeed a school that was just as challenging as any brick and mortar university. Professors were ruthless but very helpful with their commentary and grading of papers. Discussions were held in forums to express understanding and to exchange ideas with fellow students. I considered this school as a stepping stone, personally. It helped me to get back into the academic game. This is a learning experience that teaches responsibility but also covers some of the basic courses of the collegiate career which can be very expensive at other universities. What happens is that the student is responsible for studying and taking notes, and showing up for class discussions online throughout the week. So, it is very different from the usual classroom format where you sit down, look at a projection screen and take powerpoint notes. While there aren't tests, you are responsible for work loads, quizzes, and in the case of Math classes, MyMathLab work.

Class Selection
The classes I took for my degree sort of felt "all over the place" at the start. However, each piece came together as I finished the class. In my communications course, I learned how to express ideas to different kinds of people using emotional and strategic tactic. In my media studies, I brushed up on the different ways people obtain information, as well as how they use it in productive and counter-productive ways. To make a long story short, these classes were the basics of the business world from the point of view of my desired degree. To move ahead and create new ideas, understanding the fundamentals are very important. Although the classes were challenging, I felt like I came out with a greater understanding of how to communicate my own ideas in a healthy, organized way.

What a wonderful school.

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

I was sitting outside talking with my family and my older sister told the family that she was going to go back to school and was telling everyone how she enrolled in online classes with University of Phoenix. It really got me thinking why aren't I in school trying to make something with my life. So I went home and started looking over University of Phoenix website and found that they offered Accounting courses. I want to get my masters in Arts of Accounting. So I made an appointment for someone to call me so that I could get more information. And now after 4 years. I have my associated degree and almost done with my bachelors degree.

Class Selection
They helped me choice the right classes that was going to help me get what I wanted.

Teaching Quality
Very easy to keep up and they are always willing to help as much as they can.

Financial Aid
Very easy to apply and they will walk you through each step. I got approved within no time.

• Accreditation:

I attended this school and, for the most part, loved it.

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

The classes are well formed and they have many degree options, however, not many in the psychology field and none in the Social Worker field. This is a great school and very easy to do the classes online. Teachers we're very helpful and so were most of the other staff. I only had a problem with one of the advisors being rude. My only real complaint is they do not have the degree I am wanting.

Class Selection
Did not have the degree I was looking for. Did have the prerequisite classes, however. Great starter college if you are just starting online classes or are looking to get the classes you need to start a higher up degree.

Teaching Quality
Teachers were great an very helpful. They knew exactly what they were teaching and added on as they saw fit for that class.

Financial Aid
Very helpful and affordable. Advisors were good about helping you with financial aid questions and getting back to you quickly.

Accreditation
I have had no problems with transfering classes i have taken here to other schools.

It's Worth Giving a Chance

Comments about University of Phoenix - Axia College AA Program:

I enrolled in a program to get my AA in psychology in 2010. The recruiters are a bit pushy, but the one I spoke with was very personable and actually conversed with me about their own personal matters as well as mine. Some may find this unprofessional, but it made me much more comfortable talking with them about my own situation and why I was looking into going back to school.

I will say that I have mixed feelings about the classes themselves, the curriculum, and the overall atmosphere. Me being a person who prefers doing work on their own, I didn't mind the setup at all - in fact, I preferred it - but someone who thrives more in a cooperative environment may not find the online classes suitable for their needs. Class discussions ranged from highly intellectual debates to redundant exchanges between people who just seemed to be there to kill time and make thier post quotas, most of the instructors weren't actively involved in discussions, and many questions either weren't answered or were answered by fellow students. This wasn't an issue for me, but it might be for some.

It was quite a bit more expensive than a brick-and-mortar school, but for those of us with kids at home and little to no access to a campus, it's worth the extra money and they will work with you to find financial help.

Class Selection
I enjoyed my classes very much, and was pleased to find that I could jump right into a couple of psychology classes right away rather than having to wait until all the "basic" classes were completed.

Teaching Quality
The teachers were great, but often absent from discussions.

Financial Aid
I got enough financial aid to cover the cost of classes as well as personal expenses while I was there, but I anticipate that I'll be paying off student debt for many years to come.