Other Online Degrees:

Capella University - Online Courses

Pros

Cons

• Accreditation:

More convenient than brick and mortar, not easier.

One of the main benefits of Capella University is their forum-style classrooms. All interaction is handled through posting and replying to posts, so if you are comfortable with internet forums there is almost no learning curve. Coursework is due twice weekly, along with responses to other students, but it is up to each individual when they chose to do homework. When I was working night shifts and trying to spend time with my husband on a different shift, I was able to juggle coursework to a time of day that didn't interfere. Most Capella students work full or part time and value the time management freedom that comes from non-synchronous classrooms.In order to get the most out of a Capella degree program, you really need to enjoy researching on the internet. The biggest academic benefit of Capella University was the access to many online libraries with full articles. I never really needed to leave my house to do a paper, but I did use more persistence than some of my classmates. I called the library several times for assistance and they were always pleasant and helpful.

The main drawback I experienced with Capella had to do with only a few classes. Due to the high level of student interaction, any class where the professor was hard to reach began to feel like mutual student teaching. While I enjoyed learning from other students in the context of a class led by an active instructor, I started to resent that feeling when the instructor participated minimally or was hard to get in touch with. Unlike my undergraduate degree, I couldn't just pound on his or her door during office hours. As such, I had to read ahead and anticipate problems with assignments in those classes.

I would not recommend this school to anyone.

I would not recommend this school to anyone.  I did not have a good experience.  I take school very seriously and always strive to complete my work with performance that puts me at the top of the class.  I was Valedictorian of my high school class and graduated with honors from my university.  I also graduated at the top of my Army officer class.  Occasionally, there are things in life that are beyond our control though.  I was doing fine in my classes at this school, but became ill during the term.  I tried to contact the proper personnel to request a withdrawal.  This school took my money and rather than let a sick student withdraw, they coded my course as "incomplete" and gave me a failing grade because of it.  I have never had an "incomplete" nor an "F" on any course in my life.  It's unfortunate that this school does not treat seriously ill students considerately.  As it has been a few years since my unpleasant experience, I do not know if this is "policy" for the school or if I was simply the unlucky recipient of poor customer service and/or the ramifications of inconsiderate academic policies.  My advice to anyone considering an on-line school would be to talk to as many people as possible about their experiences with on-line learning.  I hope that this review will help others to avoid experiencing what I experienced with Capella.  Best wishes students!

Go For It

from Beaver, PA

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

I am very happy with every aspect of Capella University.

Class Selection
I never had any problems getting into the classes that I wanted or needed.

Teaching Quality
I was always able to connect with my teachers when I needed help or did not understand something. The teachers understood their material and were able to clarify and questions I had. All of the classes I took were interesting and relevant to the class. I was also required to be in a classroom with almost every class I took, so I had a chance to practice what I was learning as I was learning, which was very helpful to me.

Financial Aid
Financial aide was easy to obtain. I had several occasions were I needed to discuss my aide with the financial aide office and they were very helpful. Several times they called me with the information I needed, or to let me know that I needed something to complete a semester's aide.

Accreditation
The accreditation at Capella University is worthwhile. I was able to become certified in teaching with a Master's Degree.

• Accreditation:

Everyone can make time for school.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

I keep hearing the argument that people have no time to devote to going back to school, that they work, have kids, and are just plain out too busy to take the time to further their education, and this is when I point them to Capella University online. I am a busy mom, I work a full time job (48 hours a week) have five children, a husband, and I go to school full time right now. The ability to take your courses online at home saves so much time and energy, you save time from not driving to a school, you can do things at your own time whenever you have an extra minute. I usually do work at night, early morning and I am even well known to be cooking with the laptop right next to me working on an assignment or studying. I think that the online environment is nice and inviting and makes it so much easier for busy parents and people in general to still have time for their families and work plus to be able to go to school and get the education that they have always wanted and need in todays economy and job market. The online courses are easy to follow and you learn so much information and the teachers are great. The college is not cheap, but you can get help and they are always glad to help you with financial aid. I am very glad that I am furthering my education here and almost have my Bachelors Degree!

• Accreditation:

Good Cirriculum! That's all..

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

When I was in the process of exploring online school, this school was on my list of schools to check out. I submitted my information on the school's website, and was immediately contacted. First question they asked was, when was I available to start. I was simply exploring my options and what they offered. Lots of phone call all the time, non stop. Seems to be somewhat unorganized in gathering information, though you always work with the same person from beginning to end, and that tells me something.

Class Selection
You do not pick your classes, they are picked according to your degree and the cohort you are with. That has its advantages, however if a person what to individualize their experiences this is not the school for you

Teaching Quality
I had the opportunity to experience a class before I actually enrolled in the class and it was an eye opening experience for me. The teacher I had was pretty good, however she did not really have a lot of time to spend with any one student. It is very fast paced and engaging

Financial Aid
Financial aid is available, however you will have some out of pocket expenses, specifically if you are working towards a doctorate and have to go on those out of town trips

Accreditation
They are accredited, however you should make sure this degree program is also accredited also, not just the school, that makes a huge difference if you are pursuing licensing in a specific specialty

• Accreditation:

Capella met all of my needs

from Oxford, PA

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

I had to take a few online courses to update my certification and Capella was great for what I needed. They were affordable, and offered a wide variety of classes that met my needs. The professors were good, and I felt like I was actually learning something, not just putting in the time. This is a class act.

Loved my courses

from Salisbury, NC

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

Overall, my time with Capella University was a great experience. I received my Masters of Science in School Counseling in 2011. There are some wonderful professors!

Class Selection
I never had a problem in registering for a class that I needed. Some classes did fill up quickly, you just had to register when registration began.

Teaching Quality
The faculty, overall, were terrific. There were some adjunct professors that were extreme in their strictness, to the point that no consideration was given for late submission of work when there was a death in the family and we had to travel out of town without access to a computer. Because I was unable to submit the work on time, I received a failing grade for that class. Another adjunct faculty member would not allow late submission of work when I was hospitalized during the time I was giving birth to my youngest son. I graduated with a 3.56 even with that on my record

Accreditation
I have been given licensure in my state and I have had numerous recommendations for positions and so I wonder sometimes if the online university is part of what is making it difficult to find a School Counselor position.

• Accreditation:

a great experience, and i landed a job

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

I am not typically a huge fan of for-profit online degree education companies, and have not had great luck or experience with them as an employer, but I found Capella to be really high quality, in both my experiences as a student and as an employer hiring Capella grads. The faculty there is great, you are actually treated as a student, and there is some rigor to the academic programs. You come out prepared.

Just graduated!

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

I went to Capella to earn my Master's degree in Education and it took almost three years for me to complete it. The college is widely accepted and accredited in my state. The professors were very attentive and wonderful (all except 1!) and the courses were offered back to back (with a three week break) so that I could complete without getting burned out.

"x" caper

from Chapel Hill, NC

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

do your homework. the sales portion of this college forgets to tell you the real cost. most profs do no support the working person...i did not enroll for one session and was reaching out for help,,no one called me despite my NEED to speak with someone. During 'sales' stage, I had to block their phone calls.....

More convenient than brick and mortar, not easier.

from Altamonte Springs, FL

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

I think, I learn, I enjoy!

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Capella University - Online Courses:

FULL DISCLOSURE:  I used to be employed at Capella University and I got my school for free - but when I changed jobs I stayed ***(Even though now I pay full-price) ***because it was the right place for me AND my family.

Yes, family is an important factor for working adults seeking further education.

- Where will your kids be while you are in class?  With Capella the answer could be sleeping upstairs!

- Who will get dinner on the table?  Well, I can of course; and work on responding to discussion questions in the kitchen while I am at it.

- Will your hubby/wife/significant other have to wait up for you to get home from the library?  Heck no, you are researching in your own home on the computer.

I am a straight A student at Capella, yes a 4.0.  And I have just 2.5 classes remaining until I graduate with my BS in Business Administration.

Yes, some instructors are less involved with the class - but that was true when I went to "real school" at the University of Minnesota too.  Other instructors are GREAT and really spur the class debate.  Those are the ones that keep me going!

Well, and the thought that I will graduate before my dear step-daughter graduates high school.  ;)