Other Cold & Hot Packs:
ThermaCare

Pros

Cons

Provides Penetrating Heat For Long-Lasting Relief

I lost many nights' sleep before I discovered these heat wraps. I was suffering from back pain for several years before I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and scoliosis. Something as simple as scrubbing the bathtub would cause me to suffer excruciating back pain. I could alleviate it by using a heating pad. Unfortunately, you do not have freedom of movement when you need easy access to an electrical outlet.

It was around this time that ThermaCare HeatWraps appeared on the market. I had remembered being in a research study to test heat wraps for cramps, and they were very effective at reducing pain. I bought these to use on my back. I applied the wrap directly to my back. The heat therapy felt wonderful, and within about an hour, it provided significant relief. I was able to go about my day without having to be plugged into something. Not only that, but I was able to sleep with it on. They have been a real godsend.

The heat wraps are available in several sizes, for various areas of the body. They can be worn for up to 8 hours at a time, and provide up to 16 hours of relief from pain.

The only downside to these is that they are expensive and can only be used once. Still, I would pay just about anything for back pain relief. In fact, now I need them for my wrist also.

It has been very effective each time I have used one.

At times, it can be a bit cumbersome. It all depends on where you stick it!

The heat felt great...when it was on the spot that hurt...

I had done something to irritate my lower back, and since we were on a trip, I didn't have my heating pad.  My dear husband ran out to get me some relief, and he picked up a package of 2 **ThermaCare HeatWraps - Back & Hip**.

**About the product:  **The heatwraps are basically a belt made of gauze-like cotton material that attaches with Velcro-type enclosures.  Along the back are pebble-like patches of the heating material to soothe sore muscles.  Each belt is available in two sizes: S-M or L-XL.  The wraps provide a one-time use of up to 8 hours of heat.  They are unscented and are made to be thin enough to wear under regular clothing.

**My take:  **When these are on, they feel SOOOO good.  But my problem was that the only size my husband could find (and the only ones I've ever found in stores) are the L-XL size.  So no matter which way I moved, the wrap didn't stay in place around my hips, so the heat wasn't really penetrating the area I needed!  By and large, they're not too uncomfortable, but it does kind of feel like you're wearing a girdle.  The directions say to only wear the wrap for 8 hours, but I actually found that it stayed warm for about 12.  I took an hour break at 8 hours, then put it back on for a few more, and it still provided some relief from the pain.  The price is unfortunately more than I want to pay, but if it's not a chronic problem you want to treat, or you're on the road like I was, it's a great short-term solution!  I prefer to use my heating pad at home, which can be re-used time and time again.

Overall, this is a convenient but pricey solution to temporary muscle problems.  I just wish the smaller size were more widely available.

Great BaclkRelief

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

These Thermacare wraps give me the most relief for my back than any other product I've ever tried. I wear them frequently as I have disintegrating discs in my back which causes muscle strain when I walk or stand. I put one on in the morning (it remains hidden underneath my clothing) and I generally get all day relief. You wear it for about eight hours but the relief lasts for at least ten hours after you remove the wrap which gives me relief all day long. I especially love the Extra large size as it covers my entire back, providing relief for the entire back. Once I discovered these, I greatly reduced the amount of pain medication I need to take and when I do need something, the pain is relieved by over the counter medication instead of narcotics.

Most of the time, I get relief within ten minutes or so.

Very easy to use. Merely remove it from its pouch and wrap around your waist.

Travel savior!

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

I have fibromyalgia and use heat frequently. At home, I have the ability to use an electric heating pad or heated mattress pad. I don't have that luxury at work in a middle school. My job means that I am moving around the building throughout the day.

When at work or traveling to see my family, who live five hours away (by car,) I always carry Thermacare wraps to fight the pain. There is nothing easier to use when you have to move around at work or when your back gets stiff from traveling. I even keep a few stored at work or in my suitcases so that they are available if and when I need one!

These wraps help loosen up stiff joints and relieve pain from sore muscles. Thermacare wraps provide nice, soothing warmth that lasts all day. While these wraps may not get as warm as an electric heating pad, there is enough steady heat to provide some relief. They are a lifesaver when you need them.

So easy! Open the package and wrap it on the body where there's pain. The velcro makes it easy to adjust and move up/down as needed.

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

I have fibromyalgia and I suffer from almost constant pain. For a long time it was difficult for me to get any relief at all. Most pain medication doesn't do a whole lot for me. A friend of mine suggested these Heat wraps. I was hesitant to try them, because nothing had worked in the past but finally I said what the heck. I applied the wrap to my back and hips under my clothing one morning. I was so surprised at the pain relief I felt from this wrap. It helped to loosen up my tight aching muscles almost immediately. I assumed it wouldn't last that long, but to my surprise the heat actually did last eight hours. All day the wrap kept my back muscles relaxed and warm and surprisingly pain free. It was the first day in years that I didn't have pain in my back. Even after the wrap stopped giving heat, it still kept my back relaxed right up until I went to bed. I was hooked on these wraps and I use them every day. They've made my life so much better than it used to be.

Saved my life and my back

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

I hurt my back a couple of years ago and wish I had known about these sooner. They are amazing because you can feel the medicated patch working right away. It gets hot and cold all at the same time. It smells like icy hot and lasts for hours. They stay on really well. I always felt relief from some of the pain. It won't take it completely away but it does help to ease the pain.

You will feel it working instantly.

Just peel off the plastic backing and you are good to put it on your back.

Gave me much needed relief

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

When I was around 30 I found out that I had broke L5's in my back from a car accident. I was told that no surgery could be done to help improve it. I did physical therapy for a long time, but nothing really ever gave me relief again. When I became pregnant with my son I developed even more back pain. The middle of my back was starting to hurt now because it was going to overcompensate for my lower back pain. The pain was unbearable at times. I was using a microwave wrap, but I constantly had to reheat it. I found the ThermaCare back heat wraps one day in CVS. It worked so well. It by no means took all the pain away, but I was able to get relief. On really bad days, I would have my husband rub icy hot on my back and then put the ThermaCare wraps on. When I was pregnant with twins, my back pain got even worse. I would wear the ThermaCare wraps almost everyday. It truly was a life saver. They stayed put really well and you can adjust them very easily. This product really helped me in a time when I so desperately needed it.

All day heat for pain relief that moves with you!

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

I love this product! I suffer from chronic pain and sometimes heat is the only thing that helps. You can't carry a heating pad around all day with you, but you can wear this air activated wrap. The quality of this product has improved from its original wrap. The Velcro closure is stronger and stays secure all day.

Sometimes wearing a wrap is the only thing that helps control my pain. After you open the package it begins to heat up rapidly and stays at a nice warm temperature for eight to sixteen hours. You do need to be careful, especially if you have sensitive skin. I have found that if I have too much pressure applied (like falling asleep on my back) for too long of a time, I can get a slight burn. like a mild sunburn. This rarely happens but can happen.

Very easy to wrap around your back and secures well with a Velcro closure. It is important to select the correct size. Comes in small/medium and large/extra large. If the size is too small, it will cause the elastic infused material in the waist band to stretch too far and after awhile it starts breaking down.

It helped my back pain and made movement more manageable

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

There were days when I had a back injury that would be unbearable. The TheraCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps definitely helped. They lasted throughout the entire day. These are a little pricey, but you cannot really put a price on your back feeling better.

It took away most of my back pain or at least made the pain more bearable.

You just wrap it around your body.

ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps Eased My Back Pain

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

I injured my back playing a sport year ago, and from time to time it would hurt me. Then I applied the heatwrap to the area causing pain. Instant relief, and it last for such a long time.

Great product for anyone suffering with body aches or pain.

Simple to use, it's a nice, and snug wrap for the body.

Need to get back into the swing of things?

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

As an active young man, I can't show any weakness so when I'm sore from a hard night of partying I turn to the ThermaCare Lower Back and Hip Heatwraps. The soothing heat penetrates my muscles to help my back feel renewed and pain free. So after rough days or nights ThermaCare is the way to go.

Great for pain relief on the go!

Comments about ThermaCare Lower Back & Hip HeatWraps:

As a person who suffers from chronic back pain and has an equal determination to perform my job properly at work, ThermaCare heat wraps for the lower back + hip area provide the perfect solution. Alongside several of their other heat wraps, I made sure to always bring a pack to work so that I could put one on when my back pain got bad. The wraps are comfortable, flexible (you can easily adjust the velcro), and can last all-day/a whole shift and make performing regular tasks much more manageable.