Other Sunscreens:

Solbar Zinc Sun Protection Cream SPF 38

Works great!

from Greensboro, NC

Comments about Solbar Zinc Sun Protection Cream SPF 38:

My son is allergic to all regular sunscreens and so we had to use one that he could use. I chose this one and it has worked great. I do have to apply it about 30 minutes before entering water so that it has a chance to soak into his skin, but I can say that he has never gotten a sunburn or even a tan with this on. It is very protective. I will also say that it is a little oily/greasy once applied, but I don't care because I just need it to protect his skin from the sun. It is also hard to get out of clothes if you accidentally get it on your clothes. Without rubbing it in well and giving it enough time beforehand to soak in, it will leave a white residue on the skin.

• Absorption:
  • Longevity:
  • Ease of Application:

Good protection for Melasma skin conditions

from Eagle River, AK

Comments about Solbar Zinc Sun Protection Cream SPF 38:

Everyone in our family sees our dermatologist once a year.  Skin cancer runs in my husbands side of the family, and he has had several basil cell carcinomas removed from his nose and ears, so we don't take any chances with our skin.

I love my dermatologist.  He's a very personable guy, and he always loads me up with several free skincare products.  The last time I was in he gave me some sample sized tubes of sunscreen, then he left the exam room and brought me even more, saying he had a lot of them and he was glad to give them to me.

One of the products my Dr. gave to me was tubes of Solbar Zinc Sun Protection Cream.  This sunscreen has a SPF of 38, and contains transparent zinc oxide.  (Zinc oxide is generally colored white and is a sunblock ingredient).

There are some things to really love about Solbar, but I only use it on my face.  I have a skin condition called Melasma, which is caused by female hormones.  I thought I had age spots, but he said these were not age spots, they were Melasma.  He said I needed to use this sunscreen on my face *every time I went outside, even in the winter months.*

Positive attributes of Solbar Zinc (Taken from the tube):

* Broad spectrum with UVA & UVB protection

* Non-comedogenic (won't clog pores or cause acne)

* Non-irritating

* Very water resistant

* Moisturizing

* PABA free

* Unscented

**My Viewpoint**

This is a good sunblock, and it works well to prevent my face from getting more dark spots.  It seems to have helped even out my skin tone somewhat due to the protection it provides from the harmful, aging rays of the sun.

It is moisturizing, but I find it slightly more greasy than other sunscreens I use, but it's not too bad.  I have not experienced any skin breakouts while using this product.  Despite the claim that this is unscented, it does have that sunscreen scent.  It's mild, and isn't noticeable unless I smell my hands after I have applied it.  A simple washing of my hands takes care of most of this problem.

I like that it contains zinc oxide, but that this ingredient is transparent.  It does not leave that white film on my skin that some zinc oxide sunscreens tend to leave behind.  Overall, I give this product high marks for doing what it is intended to do, protect the skin from becoming sunburned.

Supposed to be unscented but it does have a slight sunscreen odor

Absorption
A little bit oily but it actually absorbs fairly well

Longevity
Gives me long lasting protection of several hours at a time

Prevents sunburned skin as expected

Ease of Application
Easy to apply, but again it is a little bit greasy

• Absorption: