Other Sunscreens:

Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel

Pros

Cons

Banana Boat Soothing Aloe Gel is a must-have in my beach bag

My family is pretty good about using sunscreen when we are at the beach or swimming in a pool. However, there are occasions when we don't apply enough sunscreen or when we are doing outside activities (e.g. gardening, biking, attending a backyard barbecue, etc.) and don't think that we need it. Of course, those are the times when, at the end of the day, we finally realize that we got sunburned.

My mainstay product for relieving sunburns is Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel. The cooling sensation that it brings is a welcome relief for anyone suffering from that warm, burning skin feeling. The cooling affect is pretty immediate and it lasts quite a while. It's safe to reapply as needed and a little goes a long way. Also, this aloe gel is supposed to replenish moisture, soften skin, and help to prevent sunburned skin from peeling.

I also use this product for minor scrapes, burns, and on my rough dry skin. I have been suffering from sensitive, dry skin around my mouth and after using other products without much success, this aloe gel has shown steady improvement and doesn't irritate my skin. I wish that I had thought to use it sooner for this problem!

The only drawback that I have found from using this product is that my skin feels a little sticky after I apply it. The main stickiness goes away after a minute or two, however, my skin still has that sticky feeling for a while. That sticky/filmy feeling is worth it for the relief that this product provides.

Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel is a great product for sunburn relief and it is a must-have in my beach bag.

The scent isn't very strong but it's not very pleasant either. I would love it if it smelled like cucumber melon or another fruity flavor.

Absorption
It absorbs fairly quickly, although I feel a little sticky for a minute or so after applying.

Not the best after sun gel.

I have used many after sun gels in my lifetime and this one is definitely NOT the best out of the ones I have tried. I am not a huge fan of Banana Boat products and this one definitely does improve the image that I have of them. It is supposed to soothe my skin after I have been out in the sun all day, but it does not really do that very well. I also do not like how it feels on my skin at all. It makes my skin feel a little weird and it really dries it out. I do not think it absorbs very well and that is frustrating. I bought it because it was cheap, but I definitely learned my lesson. Paying a little more for an after sun gel is definitely the way to go. I would not recommend purchasing or using this product.

Absorption
This gel just sits on the surface of my skin and makes it feel kind of slimy. I do not like it at all.

Longevity
It does not last very well. It feels like it only soothes for a short time before I want to use more to help with the burning on my skin.

Worth every penny!

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

This aloe vera gel is a staple in my summer skin care routine. I have very pale skin that sunburns extremely easily, and this product really relives me of a lot of pain, peeling, and speeds up the recovery time of my sunburns. I rely on this product so much, and I would recommend this product to anyone who gets sunburned easily. It really makes a difference in my life and my well being in the summer. I absolutely love this product, and will be repurchasing it.

The scent of this product is cool and pretty soothing in my opinion. It isn't very strong or overpowering, and it also doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

Absorption
It takes seconds for my skin to absorb this product. It is a pretty light weight formula that is non-greasy and doesn't leave behind any strange residue.

Longevity
About two bottles of this gel last me all summer.

This gel speeds up the healing process of a sunburn, soothes and relieves pain, lightly hydrates, and prevents peeling. This product basically makes summer less painful.

Ease of Application
I like to use a generous amount of this product on sunburned areas.

Fairly good.

from Kansas

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

I have fair skin and get sunburned incredibly easy. My mom bought the Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel for me as a child and teenager. It comes in a decent size bottle and is fairly cheap. I use the product immediately after I notice I'm getting a sunburn. It immediately gives you some relief from the burn. The problem I have with the product is how stick it makes you when you use it and that it takes a while to dry. That's my main reason for not using it much anymore. Anyway, I usually apply it every few hours to get relief. From my experience it shortens the amount of time you have your sunburn. It also cuts down on the amount of peeling you experience and sometimes completely eliminates any peeling at all. It has a gender neutral smell so anybody can use it and not feel "manly" or "girly". Overall, I say give it a try, it does what it says but it does make your skin feel sticky.

Great for sunburns

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

My family is fair skinned so aloe gel is a must have in the summer. This stuff isn't the same as going to an actual aloe vera plant but it does a great job and provides great relief when your skin is burning. It is a bit more expensive than the store brands but I've found that the banana boat brand is worth it and does a better job than others.The gel is a bit sticky when you apply it but it absorbs into the skin quickly, however it will still have some sort of residue until it is washed off.

The scent is a bit like the aloe vera plant but smells better. It is strong when you first apply it but gets better as it absorbs into the skin.

Longevity
This gel needs to be applied often for it to work well after you get a sunburn but it really helps at the beginning to get your skin from feeling super hot.

Ease of Application
The gel comes easily out of the bottle and spreads smoothly on the skin. It can be a bit messy for the one who spreads it on the skin.

Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel Review

from Miami, FL

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

Whenever I have a bad sun burn I always buy Banana Boat's soothing aloe after sun gel. I love putting it in the fridge so that the gel is really cold and it helps sooth my burnt skin. Aloe is the best thing for sun burns but using the real plant can be messy and smells bad. So I love using this gel which is easy to apply, smells great and doesn't make my skin feel icky and messy. A must have product for anyone who goes outdoors.

The Banana Boat soothing aloe after sun gel smells exactly like it is supposed to. Like Aloe. Though more like an artificial aloe scent than like the actual plant which has more of a stinky smell in my opinion.

Absorption
Because it is a gel as opposed to a cream it instantly absorbs into the skin. Unlike actual aloe which can be very sticky.

Longevity
The would say the longevity of the banana boat soothing aloe after sun gel depends on how badly you are burned. You may need to keep reapply if you are badly burned. But overall I would say it lasts about an hour.

The banana boat soothing aloe after sun gel is extremely effective. Because it is a gel formula your burnt skin is instantly cooled down and the aloe works to sooth, moisturizer and protect your sensitive skin.

Ease of Application
Very easy to apply. Just squeeze the bottle and rub aloe gel into your skin.

So Smooth

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

I love Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel. I've been using this same product since I was a kid. It never fails that I have the best intentions and slather on sunscreen but inevitably forget to reapply or don't realize how long I've been outside. Thankfully, I've cut way back on my sunburns, but I keep Banana Boat Aloe in my bathroom cabinet all year long.
The gel goes on smoothly and has a refreshingly cool sensations that soothes my burned skin. The smell is nice and the ingredients are pure. The only change I'd make is putting the lid at the bottom of the bottle. When the supply gets low, it's difficult to get the last remaining bits of aloe gel out of the bottle even after storing it upside down and shaking it quite a bit.

Smells like aloe vera

Absorbs almost too quickly

Longevity
I do find that I need to reapply it about every hour to half hour if the burn is bad

Soothing, healing and refrehsing

Ease of Application
Easy to apply and goes on skin smoothly. I wish the lid was at the bottom rather than the top.

• Ease of Application:

Great multi purpose beauty tool!

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

I have been using this aloe for many years, not only to treat the few sunburns I have gotten, but on a daily basis to help control my rosacea and irritation on my facial cheeks. It is the one product I know I can put on and it will not make my face burn or itch.

If there was a one hundred rating, I would give it a 100. I love the smell of aloe. It makes me feel like I am on the beach on the warmest day of summer. What Is great about this particular Banana Boat aloe is how gentle it is on the skin even though it smells so great.

Absorption
Instant absorption the moment I put it on my face and chest. Does not leave a sticky residue or oily marks on your clothes and linens. My skin does not feel damp or sticky to the touch. I can slip my clothes on right after applying.

Longevity
As I use this to treat my year long redness and inflammation I apply this in the morning and it lasts all day. I will apply it again when I get home at night and it feels good on my skin all night.

Of course I have used this aloe on the few sunburns I have unwillingly allowed myself to get. However, I keep aloe as part of my beauty routine to help me deal with the rosacea like redness and irritation I have on my cheeks. I have to be so careful what I put on those areas, and this brand of aloe is the only one that calms the redness and does not make my cheeks itch or burn.

Ease of Application
The flap on the lid allows better control of how much product comes out. I always like to begin with a small layer and then add more aloe where my irritation is the worst. There is a bit of product loss at the very bottom of the bottle. I usually take the top off and try to stick my finger down into the bottom of the bottle to bring up the remaining aloe.

• Ease of Application:

This is very soothing but I wouldn't recommend for a fresh burn.

from West Virginia

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

I love aloe gel and this one is quite inexpensive. I always keep a bottle on hand. Banana boat has a nice green color that I find appealing and everyone in the family loves it. The gel smells a little funny compared to a fresh aloe plant but it's not unappealing.

The gel seems to always be cool to the touch no matter how warm the house is. I usually wait a day or two after my burn to apply aloe. I've always felt like applying aloe the day of a burn kind of smothers the skin and keeps it from breathing. I also find that I get better results when I wait a day or two.

This aloe gel isn't just for burns from the sun. It also soothes burns from grills, stoves, and fire flames. I've been burnt in the kitchen at work several times and this helps soothe the burns and blisters.

The gel always feels cold to me but it's quite soothing. If you apply this to fresh burns, it actually stings more. I've also used this on bee stings and minor cuts to help soothe and keep them from itching. It's truly versatile . I wouldn't use on small kids though because I don't think it would be good if they put it in their mouth.

The scent is okay. It's a little weird but it's not bad.

Absorption
It doesn't really absorb fully. It kind of soothes the topical layer of skin.

Longevity
It soothes on contact but it seems short lived. Even so, the short amount of relief is nice.

It soothes on contact. I use it for sunburns, fire burns, and even minor scrapes and cuts.

Ease of Application
It's very easy to apply but it sits on the skin.

Great Product

from Auburn, WA

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

I am writing this review on Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel. I discovered this product quite a few years ago. I had always used aloe vera for other reasons, and finding this was a plus. I gave it a try and found that I really loved it. It has a nice cooling effect when you apply it. It also moisturizes your skin so that it doesn't feel as parched after a long day in the sun. I love that it really works on my skin when I have spent a bit longer in the sun then I should have. I not only use it when I get a burn but just as a nice soothing lotion after a day of fun in the sun. It really makes my skin feel hydrated, smooth and less dry. Some lotions like this are really sticky but I've found that this isn't that bad. It may take a few minutes for it to absorb, but after that it is fine. I make sure that we always have this on hand during the summer. I take it on vacation with us also (the container is quite large, so I just purchased a small plastic bottle that I can put some in for travel). It is also reasonably priced so that is puts it ahead of similar products.

A must for summertime!

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

This after-sun aloe gel is a staple at my house in the summer months. Despite my best efforts and application of sunscreen, at times I get sunburned (I LOVE to lay in the sunshine). This gel feels amazing on tight, sunburned skin. It glides on really nicely and almost instantly you feel a cooling sensation on your tender skin. It takes maybe about a minute to fully absorb, and you can really feel it sinking into your skin. It definitely helps soothe and I believe it helps heal the burn faster, too, turning it more into a tan and reduces your chances of peeling. It has a nice, fresh smell and a little goes a long way. It will last awhile but I apply it often to my burned skin, probably 2 or 3 times a day (more if I'm REALLY burned). If you keep it in your fridge it feels even better to freshly sunburned skin! Definitely a must have for warmer weather and for anyone who spends lots of time in the sun.

A very soothing product.

Comments about Banana Boat Soothing Aloe After Sun Gel:

I used to use all natural aloe vera plants from my mothers garden to sooth my frequent sunburns while growing up. While I no longer have access to all natural aloe plants, his Banana Boat Aloe Gel works pretty good, almost as well as the real thing. For those occasional moments wen I forget to apply or reapply my sunscreen while out and about, I always keep this stuff on hand to soothe my skin from chapped, burned skin. Now keep in mind, it does not completely heal your sunburn, what it does provide is instant cooling relief from any uncomfortable heat or pain your may be having as a result of your sunburn. It also keeps it very moisturized and allows it to heal without a ton of peeling and crustiness that can sometimes occur. It does feel a little bit sticky going on and stays that way until it dries, then it does go away and your skin just feels soft, cooled, and moisturized.