3.3
SCH-I910
Samsung Omnia Smartphone

Samsung Omnia Smartphone

3.3

Great phone, but definitely has to be customized.

I have had the Omnia for 10 months now, so I have had enough time to review it well. The phone definitely has its pros and cons.

Read complete review

Pros:

-Touchscreen

-OK good battery life. I charge mine every few days or so, but when I use it a lot it's usually every other day.

-Slim, sleek, and stylish-looking

-Easily customizable--this is probably the biggest pro

--Camera is pretty great, for a phone

--It's basically a little computer in your pocket

--I've never had any problems with service or reception, dropped calls, etc.

--I use mine as an internet tether for my laptop and the speeds are very fast. They are actually faster than when I used the regular Verizon USB modem.

--Reasonable price for a smartphone

--Syncs quite well with Windows because of its Windows-based operating system

Cons:

--You almost HAVE to customize this phone. It is very user-unfriendly straight out of the box.

--Takes forever to boot up and I haven't found a tweak for this yet.

--Occasionally freezes up, just like a computer.

--On-screen keyboard takes a lot of getting used to

--Windows Mobile is terrible on a touchscreen. Everything is way too small to actually touch.

--The stylus has no slot. It just dangles off the side of the phone. Thankfully, you don't really need it, so I don't even carry mine with me anymore.

I had been using the phone for a month or so when I realized I would have to completely change the way it operates in order to keep using it. I installed a new operating system that is much more touch-friendly. I also tweaked a few small things about the phone in its settings--I changed the mouse to a directional pad, etc. The new operating system I put on it also enlarged the keyboard and the phone operates much better now. I would recommend this phone for anyone who wants a truly customizable phone. It's like a blank slate. You can change just about everything about it. I would not recommend this phone for anyone who is not tech-savvy because it would be extremely confusing for them.

Samsung Omnia phone is not all it's cracked up to be.

The Samsung Omnia is difficult to use.  When the phone rings, if you have it on your side, you have to wait until the screen flips the right way to answer the call.  When you clip the phone on you side the screen will do funky things while in the holster if you don't wait for the screen to go black before putting it back on your side.  One of the features I like is if you don't know whether or not you have a number saved in your phone, you can start to type the persons number or name and it will come up.  The touch screen is a little tricky to use.  I have already watched myself hit the Y button and a T will show up.  It becomes very frustrating.  Also the battery on most days does not even last the whole day, whether I am using the phone or not.  The phone does run Windows programs, that is very helpful to me in my line of work.  The use of Excel spreadsheets helps me a lot.  The camera and video works great.  The best camera I have seen so far.  The picture is very clear and there are alot of feature options for taking pictures and videos.  I was all gung ho on getting this phone, but now I can' t wait to get rid of it.

great phone, lots of extras, albeit a short battery life.

from Wheaton, IL

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

We recently added two of the Samsung Omnia to our family, and so far we are very satisfied.  There are plenty of extras: email, radio, mp3, games, a touch screen, camera, flashlight, just about anything.  It's almost a handheld computer, with 8GB and it runs Windows Mobile also.  You can access Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.A stylus is not required, but it does make it easier because the stylus can pinpoint an item, rather than the entire area of your fingertip.  The camera is great, with a nice flash, but the video is not fantastic. Another exciting feature is handwriting recognition.  Instead of using a touch screen, you can actually write in cursive with the stylus and it will recognize the letters 90 percent of the time.

One downfall is the battery life.  It only lasts about one to two days before it needs to be charged again. Also the headphone jack requires a special Samsung adapter.

Omnia cellphone a dated brick. Nearly useless for web browsing.

from Canandaigua, NY

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

The Omnia may have been a decent phone when it debuted a few years ago, but now it leaves little to be desired. There is no reason to use a WM6 phone now that there are Android alternatives available. (While that may be an opinion, it's one shared by the majority of the cellphone community.)

Web browsing is painful - more than 90% of pages load as a blank screen or with unsupported content.

Battery life is dismal. The phone freezes frequently. And the phone lacks a headphone jack, not that you'd be able to get more than a half hour of listening off of it anyway.

And don't even ask about apps.

Dont waste your money

from Vernon Hills, IL

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

The Samsung Omnia at a bit under three years old is a dated piece of technology. It runs Windows Mobile 6.1, which Microsoft has since updated twice via 6.5 and windows phone 7. This particular build more or less requires a sharp fingernail or a stylus to use for even basic functions. The ROM bundled with the device has been updated since the initial release, however it is highly doubtful that any additional updates will be provided.via Samsung or Verizon. If you do end up purchasing this, just put a custom ROM on it and call it a day, since even the updated ROM has a problem with the software keyboard which prevents access to the dialpad. The screen as a tendancy to develop worn spots and scratches relatively easily. Sound quality is pretty terrible. The only real redeeming features are the decent camera and the compact size.

This is an OK phone

from Salem, OR

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

This phone looks good at first glance and it has alot of frills. for example is has REALLY great quality camera and it can store quite a bit of photos. One thing i would reccomend is getting a screen protector, i had a long scratch in the screen the day i bought it and i was so mad. this phone loos nice and has alot of features but it just feels cheap when you hold it, you can tell its made out of cheap platic and not metal. Also it is a bit stupid that you halve to take out the batter to take out the sim card or the micro sd car. that reminds me, another nice feature of this phone is that you can have up to and 8 gb micro sd card for music on this phone. back to what i was saying, this phone is cheaply made and the paint chips really easy so i could recoment geting this phone a case but other than that i is a nice phone and i woulc definantly say it is worth the money and time it takes to get used to it.

Samsung Omnia One Word Review: Meh

from Burlington, WA

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

Had a Motorola L6 SLVR with T-Mobile prepaid, but was forced to switch to Page Plus (Verizon) when I moved. Picked up this phone since it had the main features I wanted: Wifi, bluetooth, and a touchscreen. It pairs easily enough with Motorola Bluetooth headphones and I actually use it more for a music player than for a phone. Battery life is pretty good. Other than that it is clearly a last generation model. It is thick and bulky (when compared with newer phones) and lacks processing speed. It has the habit of freezing up which can be very frustrating. The touchscreen can be downright non-responsive at times, which makes web browsing a chore. As I mentioned earlier, I mainly use this to listen to music and do not make many calls at all. So for my purposes, I cannot justify paying for a more expensive model and this phone is adequate. However, if you text/call/surf more frequently, I think there are better options than the Omnia.

3/5 stars. Decent data phone but driod and apple ones are better

from Miami, FL

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

Overall its a decent phone. Comes with some pretty useful programs such as word, mobile email, broswer, etc. Runs windoes mobile 6.1 and you can customize a lot of things if you are tech savy. Not for the average user though, there is not really an app store. Well there is but there are only less than a hundred apps and are pretty pricey for some apps that you would find on an iphone for free. If you're a gamer though this is not the phone for you, unless you want to spend a lot of money on some sub-par games in the vzz store. Pretty durable and good quality physically, someone slow if you open some programs and forget to exit them completely. I find myself having to end all tasks every once in a while to keep the phone from lagging. Somewhat hard to navigate unless you use a stylus, and almost impossible to text without one unless you use Swype.

Samsung Omina not a good buy

from Bremen, IN

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

Bought the Samsung Omnia when it first came out with Verizon Wireless.  I was excited to get and had lots of fun when it first came. After a couple of weeks, it was not funtctioning well with the texting.  It freezes up all the time.  I have to shut it off and turn it back on.  End all tasks, etc.  It only came with 2 games, all others for purchase even with a unlimited data plan.  The Opera Browser is a little better than the Internet Explorer version.  Installing programs doesn't work if you install on the storage card.  I am continously reseting the screen to align it.  Just the other day, I was taking pictures and trying to send them, but when I selected the MMS to send, it would go back to the today screen.  The wireless part of the phone doesn't work well connecting in the airport as well.  It will usually have to connect through the broadband that I subscribe to.  I would not recommend this phone to anyone.

If I wanted a computer, I'd have bought one. This isn't a phone!

from Bemidji, MN

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

I am glad that when I bought this phone, I had a 30 day trial with it.  It went back to the store.

As a computer, it could do alot-but to get the darn touch screen to work was ridiculous.  The internet itself was slow, as well-someone with his blackberry would race me to a website, and he always won.  The screen was nice and bright to see stuff on.

As a phone-this was horrendous.  Phone rings? Good luck being able to answer it.  Want to make a call? Good luck getting the keyboard up on the touch screen to be able to punch the numbers.  Live where its cold and need to make a call? oh just forget it.

Texting was also a nightmare.  The touch screen is really bad, and the screen flips back and forth between horizontal and vertical.  you can use the touch screen, or the dinky little stylus that hangs off of the phone.

Battery life was terrible-if you take a couple photos (good camera) and hop online to check your email, you're sucking the life out of your phone...so when you need to make a call, no phone.

Unless you need a hand-held computer, pass on this phone.

does everything you want && more!

from Hillsborough, NC

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

i loved this phone i should have never gave it up. it was amazing you could crop and edit your photos! the camera was a 5.0 mega-pixels. you could save music and play it on your phone, ypu had two or more internet sources power point, word etc. 2 words LOVED IT!

Horrible

from Lumberton, NJ

Comments about Samsung Omnia Smartphone:

so i bought the phone a while back with my mother and at first it was amazing. i could go on the internet with it and text good but then it started freezing. i figured maybe i had to much on it so i erased stuff but it still froze. i contacted verizon and they sent me a new one. that one was good for about two weeks and it messed up too. my sister got it and hers did the same. then i found out my mom has been having the same problem. this phone is not recommended at all.