Other Cell Phones:
Samsung
Samsung Alias Cell Phone

Samsung Alias Cell Phone

great compact phone. a definite upgrade from the razr

I bought this phone with the Verizon service.  It was an upgrade from the Razr V3c.I chose this phone because of similar characteristics to the Razr (body) in addition to the QWERTY keyboard.The U740 is a almost the same size as the Razr which is definitely a plus.  Other currently available phones are significantly thicker and can be cumbersome to carry in a pants pocket.  I've read reviews of the hinge being flimsy but have had no problems with it.  I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary even with opening with one hand.  It took some time to get the used to opening it with one hand, but the hinge seems sturdy enough.The keys are small, but have no major gripes with it.  I have relatively no trouble dialing phone numbers while in portrait mode.  I don't text quite as often as the majority of the population, but I definitely like the QWERTY keyboard.  It is definitely much quicker to navigate and send text messages with the keyboard.  I agree that the keys are a tad small as I make mistakes sometimes but don't mind having to go back and delete them.The user interface is similar to other Verizon phones and easily manageable.  Once your familiar with it, it's easy to navigate on the fly.  I've only had to refer to the user's manual once or twice because of questions about some icons.  The micro SD slot is great for adding more storage to the phone.  I've added music and attempted pictures.  The volume of the music is more than adequate.  It can be certainly loud enough when the phone is closed or open.  I definitely like the fact that you can control the playback while the phone is closed.  The position of the lock/unlock on the phone is one minor gripe as I've had the occasion of having to turn it off when turning it on by accident.  The camera is decent and takes okay pictures.  I've had to take multiple pictures under different settings to be satisfied with them.  Call quality is superb.  I've had no experiences with dropped calls or significant static.  Calls come in clearly and have had no complaints on the other end.  Installed ringtones are okay but would like to have more choices.  The ringtones are loud and can be heard from a distance.Battery life is outstanding as I can have it on standy for 3-5 days before having to recharge.  I am very satisfied with this phone.  I like the gold version as it definitely stands out to the majority of the silver or black phones out there.  It is a significant upgrade to my Razr.

Great Phone but not for everyone

The Samsung U-740 was the first phone of its kind to be able to flip horizontally as well as vertically.  With a full QWERTY keyboard and slim design the U-740  was designed for those who like to text message without having the bulk that coincides with full keyboard phones of the past (ENV, Blackberry, Q, etc.). My initial thoughts when I first saw this phone were the swivel head and slim look were unbelievable, however, I thought the keyboard would be way too small and people would start to complain.  When feedback on the phone came back my instincts proved me wrong.  Everyone I talked to that owned the phone loved the phone and here's why,  most of the people buying the phone were girls who tend to have smaller fingers and therefore the smaller keys didn't get in there way.  As time passed I noticed most guys who had this phone didn't hate it but girls that carried the U-740 absolutely loved it.  Overall this has been a very successful phone for VZW but you should definitely give it a try at the store before you purchase especially if you have large hands.  (If you have larger fingers and are dying to have a QWERTY keyboard try the ENV). It should also be noted that certain programs available on most VZW phones are not available on the U-740 such as Bones In Motion.

THE ALIAS IS GREAT FOR TEXTING.

from Flint, MI

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

the samsung alias is a very good phone for medium to intermediate texters. the keyboard is slightly small for my fingers but if you have fairly small fingers this does not matter. the camera is one of the owrst things because it does not have a zoom unless you take very low resolution pictures. a very good advantage to texting on this phone is the voice input mode which allows you to speak and the speaker will interpet what you say and write it down. it is very good if you only have one hand or are not bothered to type. but the down side is it is very inaccurate unless you enunciate your words and pause between every word. this is not a good internet phone it really sucks. this phone is a really good phone for music because it has two large speakers on the main screen. but if you want to use ear phones you have to buy special headphones. one last thing is the two way flip it looks really cool but it seems so easy to break if you run into someone the wrong way there goes the phone.

One of my Favorites!

from Iowa Park, TX

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

I don't currently use this phone since I switched providers and had to get a different phone but I still have this one and if I ever switch back plan to use it. I have been impressed with Samsung phones and have only good things to say about them, which I cannot say about my LG phones which both broke before their warranties were up.

After having this one, I decided not to have a cell phone without the qwerty keyboard. It's so nice that you can just flip it and text. Also cool is that it opens both ways which makes it great for texting.

It is true though that the numbers are ridiculously small for dialing out and that took awhile to get used to but not a big deal in my book. For the time that I had it which was a few years, it never gave me any problems. It was user friendly, sleek, and comfortable to talk on. I was also amazed at how well the battery life was. I would definitely recommend this product!

the Samsung SCH-u740 is pretty good.

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

this phone is pretty unique in the fact that it flips both ways and that you can text pretty fast. I like it because it has a qwerty keyboard and that the buttons are pretty easy to use. the numbers can get confusing but its prett yeasy to use. its really fun to flip back and forth and the body is very durable. its a different phone from the types of phones that comes out nowadays. its extremely easy and simple ot use. the inbox can be very small and you have to often delete messages before you can receive more. the color scheme is nice but the choices are very slim pickings. there are only two colors for the phone but its alright for me because i like the gold color. the ringones that are included on the phone is very bland and not varied. its alright but its really good txting. if you text alot i recommend this phone for everyone. the speaker on this is pretty loud so thats a positive. the price is really good.

Great Cell Phone for Anyone - Samsung - SCH-u740

from Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Cons

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

I had this cell phone for a few years. I loved everything about it - it was my first cell phone with an actual keyboard. The keyboard made it so easy to type. While everyone was out getting brand new phones that looked extremely confusing, I still had my simple, yet easy to use Samsung SCH-u740. This phone was really great because of its unique feature - it opened two ways; one way you could use it as a normal flip phone, and the other way was a full on keyboard. One thing I didn't like about this phone was the quality of pictures. I found myself not using the camera that often because the pictures were blurry and just not good quality. I had fun downloading ringtones on this phone, and I would always change my personal settings to match my personality. I never used a banner though because I felt like the background picture was more important. Overall, I would recommend this phone. Even though it's not brand new or has the latest technology, it's simple and simple is good.

Love this phone

from Port Huron, MI

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

I have had this phone for about 2 years and have put it through hell! It has been dropped, thrown, and beaten up but it is still working! It is a basic phone for someone who wants to talk and text. I love this phone because it has held up through the years without having to replace it. I like the Verizon service too.

Cons outweigh the Pros

from Andover, MA

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

Truthfully? This cellphone has more downsides than upsides. Although it has a (relatively) good battery life (I can keep it on for around three days WITHOUT USING IT before it starts to die), if I use it constantly, while texting, it will drain the battery quite quickly; and I can use it for around five to six hours, at maximum.

For an avid texter like myself, I like to look at the QWERTY keyboard. Although the keyboard is small and compact (therefore making for a small phone; convenient, and easy to fit in the pocket), it's keys are TINY, and it's VERY hard to text; even once you're used to it. Not only that, but the phone has the annoying habit of occasionally turning itself on and off randomly, which can be quite annoying.

Not only that, but the call service isn't very great. I know this is an old model (if you want a new one, go buy the samsung alias 2; which, i'm sure, has more upgrades), and calling for thirty minutes will get rid of a quarter of your battery life. It's very annoying; trust me.

However, there ARE a few good things about this phone. For example, it can flip both ways, which is pretty cool (except the keys are SO SMALL). Not only that, but this phone has bluetooth capabilities, and a bunch of other neat stuff. However, seeing as this phone was designed for teenagers, rather than adults, I think that samsung could've done better with this phone.

This phone is posessed

from Alto, GA

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

Ok so I got this phone from Verizon Wireless about a year ago because they were giving them away and I figured why not. I needed a phone with a qwerty keyboard and you cant beat free. If only I had known the issues with this phone beforehand and I would have bought a phone of better quality. The first problem with the phone was it would sometimes reboot itself when I would receive a text, then it started freezing up when I would send a text. The only way I could turn it off after freezing was by removing the battery. The first time I took it to the beach, the screen would flicker on and off and when I took a photo with it, the wind apparently messed with it and the photos were extremely distorted. The music player is very bad, when you get a text or call, the music stops and it doesnt start the song back in the same place. I guess the only good thing about this phone is the fact that it has a qwerty keyboard.

The Samsung High Note Cell Phone is great for on-the-go music.

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

The Samsung High Note is a phone that I've been looking for for a long time now. It has a pretty good camera/camcorder, mine came with a 2GB microSD memory chip, a headset, charger, and a computer connecting wire. I can hear the music louder than other phones, the battery lasts an average amount of time, and the call quality is slightly better. The charger fits other most modern samsung phone chargers, and can connect to the computer.

Some cons about it are that it's not as loud as competing music phones, you can't record your voice as a ringtone, have to save your ringtone as a 3g2 format, which is a difficult thing to do and find a converter, camera is only 2.0 megapixels compared to new touch screen phones with 7.0+ megapixels.

I recently had to give my highnote to my sister, and she seems to always have problems with phones and says there's a glitch on it. Whenever she takes pictures on it, it shows up as the folder picture, but when she opens the folder the picture doesn't show up. She saved it on her card. Maybe it's the phone's fault though, so beware. I, however, didn't have a problem with pictures.

It's a great phone for the average Joe, and has some other cool features such as a tip calculator and voice commands.

This SCH-u740 is a slim, sleek, and sturdy companion.

from Cheltenham, PA

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

This phone is really a great device. To my knowledge, it remains the only one of its type—flipping open both vertically and horizontally—which should definitely please those who like to be somewhat different from the societal norm, especially technologically. Plus, it has many other cool features, most of which are mentioned below. However, in addition to those, with the Alias, users' wishes are its command. This phone allows users to utilize their undoubtedly melodious voices to perform operations: one can compose an entire text message orally, call one's friend JimBob with merely a clear dictation, or look up a contact with one strum of the golden (vocal) pipes. Plus, this phone also lets you Quick Search for anything in the Menu or your contacts by typing the numbers that represent their letters (for example, 72724 to search for SARAHs or 25276 to search for the ALARM clock) straight from the home screen. Finally, little features such as the Xylophone tone that can be chosen to ring out when keys are struck are just the icing on the cake.

This phone rocks.

Qwerty w/a camera, but that's about the only good thing

from Fuquay Varina, NC

Comments about Samsung Alias Cell Phone:

My wife and I both got these phones back when Verizon was having them as buy one get one free. We DID NOT want touch screen phones at all, and these seemed like they were going to be great. Well, yes...they have Qwerty keyboards and cameras, that's a good thing. However, they phone only holds 50 messages in each mailbox. So, if you have 50 messages, you will get an error that says mailbox full, delete old messages to receive this message. True, that's 50 messages and really why would you ever need more, but believe me when I tell you that the small memory in the mailboxes will annoy you. Another good thing is that it's a small phone, not bulky like a blackberry. Well, I guess you need to compromise, if you want more memory you need to have a somewhat larger phone. I would not buy this phone again, even though they gave me one for free. I had a Helio Ocean prior to getting this and miss all it's features, like gps, gmail, yahoo, aim messengers etc.