Other Irons:

Rowenta Powerglide Iron

Pros

Cons

• Safety:

the rowenta powerglide 2 is a great iron.

I purchased my Rowenta powerglide 2 about four years ago and it is still going strong.  I have alot of ironing and I also use it when I sew.  It has been knocked over by my children and my husband a few times and I still don't have any problems with it.  I think one of the best features is the auto shut off because my phone is constantly ringing and forget to shut it off when I go and answer the phone.  Another feature that I love is that you can use regular tap water to fill the steam basin no need to buy distilled water just for the iron.  There is only one drawback to the iron and that has to do with the hard water in my area.  Sometimes when I use the burst of steam from the sole plate there is a calcium buildup that shoots out with the steam.  This only happens on the first 2 shoots after that it is just fine.  This iron is great for making very sharp creases in fabric.  It's not too heavy either so my arm is not sore after a marathon ironing session.

Not what I expected

This was my first rowenta iron. I was so excited as I have heard good things. The good is that it irons very well. It's heavy enough to really get the wrinkles out but not too heavy to hold. The steam features are great. This iron puts out ALOT of steam. It certainly makes ironing much less time consuming. I will not be able to buy a "cheap" off brand anymore. Now for the bad only after 1 year the iron started leaking water out of the bottom right where the electrical cord is. I used it that way for months but finally bought a new one. Overall I do like the rowenta brand and many of its features, it just didn't last like I expected it to.

Irons efficiently and quick.

Safety
Shuts off if left untouched for a period of time.

Just wipe with a damp cloth. Easy to clean.

Has nice features and they are easy to figure out.

Started leaking water after 1 year of use.

Rowenta is a great brand name!

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

The Rowenta DM-273 Powerglide 2 Iron is a relaible, effective choice for an iron that will last. I have owned a few less expensive irons and eventually purchased this iron based on the recommendation of my mom. I am very glad I invested in a more expensive product and have been very pleased with the results. I iron at least four times per week, and I need an iron that will stand up to frequent use, one that heats up quickly, and one that is effective. The Rowenta DM-273 Powerglide 2 Iron meets all of these criteria. First, it is durable. I have owned this product for a few years and it still looks brand new. Second, this iron heats up quickly and helps me save precious minutes in the mornings. Finally, the Rowenta DM-273 Powerglide 2 Iron is very effective. It releases stubborn wrinkles from my clothing and is very effective on a wide range of materials. Overall, I am very impressed with the Rowenta brand. If you want a quality iron, invest in the Rowenta DM-273 Powerglide 2 Iron.

A great iron

from Midland, MI

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

I went through a number of irons, before deciding to buy a Rowenta. I hesitated because there are so many cheaper options out there, but after owning one I'm glad I spent the extra money. It is easy to use and has lasted me for years.

This iron works well to get wrinkles out of any type of fabric, regardless of how thick and durable or delicate it is.

Safety
This iron comes equipped with a feature that automatically shuts the iron off if it isn't in use. I wish it took longer for it to shut off (I think it's about five minutes), but I do find it a useful feature.

Most times I use this iron I simply plug it in and use it. It is easy to change the settings, however, to add and remove steam and to adjust the heat.

I have owned this iron for years and it hasn't once disappointed. I have used it for everything from occasional ironing of clothes to sewing and quilting.

The settings are easy to manage on this iron. It is heavy enough to press out wrinkles without having to press down very hard, but is light enough so that it's easily maneuverable. The cord is long enough to reach the full length of an ironing board.

• Safety:

Pricey but worth it! Great performance.

from Port Saint Lucie, FL

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

I love, love, love this iron!! I actually received it as a present, because I wanted a better iron. The cheaper ones were just not working very well anymore. This one get hot very quickly. Also, it produces so much more steam and more quickly than my other ones. With the old ones if I used the steam button too much it would take quite some time to produce more. But this one seems to do a good job of keeping up with my over use of the steam lol. It also seems to glide over the clothes easier than the others I have owned. Another plus is that the tank appears to hold a bit more water than my last one. This helps me out when I have a load of clothes to iron!! :-) The clothes also appear nicer, less wrinkled, and I get the job done quicker than with the other irons I have tried in the past. I would recommend this iron to anyone, or any Rowenta for that matter. I have used a couple others at various family members houses and they all seem to work very well. It will be worth the price in the long run!!

• Safety:

Rowenta DM-273 Powerglide 2 Iron is not what I expected.

from Greendale, WI

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

Okay, this is not the review I expected I would write when I "invested" in a Rowenta iron. I had an inexpensive Hamilton Beach iron for years and when it began to leak excessively (and I could afford it), I finally decided to get the "best" - or so I thought. I had read review of Rowenta irons and the great majority of them were very favorable - people said it easily took on deep wrinkles, and the it's glide was as smooth as could be. So why isn't this happening for me? In using it, I find myself often having to spray extra water on clothing because the steaming and light mist just aren't getting all the wrinkles out. Additionally, I have had trouble with the iron having what I would call "hot spots" - where the iron, all of sudden, gets incredibly hot and has stuck to and burned fabrics. (Because of that, I find myself often adding a pressing cloth over the item I am ironing - because I'd rather sacrifice the cloth if a hot spot pops up than the item of clothing!)

Overall, this iron is better than others I've had, but see my comments above for specific concerns.

This has not been a problem at all.

Again, please see my comments above.

The Only Iron You'll Ever Need

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

If you iron clothes every once in a while, this iron is the best you can get. The temperature dial is very responsive and actually regulates the temperature well. It has a good steam system and also 3-way auto shut-off system. Not only that, you can steam vertically by pressing the steam button, which is great for curtains, dresses and jackets. The steel plate base is also very durable, and if properly maintained and cleaned, it will glide beautifully and will speed your ironing.

Always turns on when required. Steam is responsive to your desired setting. Heats up nicely, and water reservoir is good size. May leak every once in a while.

Safety
3-way auto shut-off, if I'm not wrong.

Only area that needs cleaning is the steel plate base. Grab some powder detergent, make a paste, let sit on warm base and then scrub. All the gunk comes off, iron is ready to go.

I've had mine for many years, same one. Still works properly.

I like that the soleplate goes into creases. Great design.

I love my Rowenta!

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

I will start by saying I do not love to iron, but I love my Rowenta! My mom raved about the brand, so she bought me this iron as a gift. I personally wouldn't have put much thought into which iron to get, but now that I have a Rowenta, I will continue to seek out this brand if I ever need to replace my iron (two years and it's going strong!). One of my favorite features is that it is so quick to heat up, which is important to me. In addition, I like the auto shut off. It is also very light weight, but does a great job!

This is a great iron for someone who doesn't have a lot of time to iron, and doesn't necessarily consider herself an expert ironer (although I imagine it is good for those people too!). I trust the iron not to burn the garment, and to get the job done right!

• Safety:

Great iron, poor power cord

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

As far as ironing goes, this is by far the best iron I have ever owned. It is fairly heavy, but easily moves across what is being ironed. Dress shirts that are really wrinkled, come out fantastic with this iron using the steam and water "eject" buttons. The biggest problem is the strain relief of the power cord at the iron side is not good. I have had the power cord break twice already and had to open the iron to fix the cord.

Safety
Because the cord can cause a short.

Again because of the power cord

Decent Iron

from Alexandria, OH

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

I've used this iron for YEARS now, and I'm mixed. It still works after this long, so at least it's very durable. It also heats up quickly and steams up nicely. I like the variable settings for the different fabrics. The cord is a bit of a pain, but I guess most irons are like that. I guess the thing I dislike the most is that it's so hard to clean... especially the water well on the inside. I can see things floating inside, but can't figure out how to fix that. Also, it seems like it's harder now to take wrinkles out then I remember it being years ago.

Safety
Shuts off after so long, which is great.

very hard to clean inside and out.

I wish the water well would come out. It's a bit of a pain to fill it up, and the water seems to be used up quickly.

Not what I expected

from Hartsville, SC

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

Irons efficiently and quick.

Safety
Shuts off if left untouched for a period of time.

Just wipe with a damp cloth. Easy to clean.

Has nice features and they are easy to figure out.

Started leaking water after 1 year of use.

• Safety:

The Rowenta gets the job done

from Lexington, KY

Comments about Rowenta Powerglide Iron:

I must admit that my husband does most of the ironing in our house, but that is partly because it was so easy to teach him how to use this iron. The iron is easy to start up and the various heat settings are a big help. The heat settings are accurate as well. With the Rowenta, I have never had a garment damaged due to the iron being at a temperature that didn't match the one indicated on the dial.

The water and steam feature is great for getting the tough wrinkles out of our clothes. Sometimes it will take a few tries to iron out the wrinkles, but the water feature makes that job much easier. I have had trouble adding water to the iron, but that is the only real issue I have had thus far with this iron.