2.4
Products
RockAuto.com

RockAuto.com

2.4

The very best of the net for car parts.

Here's the trick...find a mechanic who will have the 10 minute conversation about what your car needs, and the parts that will be required.  I have found a mechanic in my hometown that will let me drop ship the parts to his shop for his installation.  He is amazed at the prices that I am able to get (much cheaper than his costs) for the parts that he uses (brand names that he trusts too)!

Last time I went in to the shop for some extensive work (end of the day around $700), I saved more than 40% on the parts end of the deal (300 instead of 500).  Parts included a power window actuator, A/C Compressor and associated parts)

The Java based parts book is phenomonal, the site remembers your shipping info based on an email address, and they are incredibly fast on the delivery end of things.  I had some parts arrive next day when I placed the order at 10am.  Excellent return process, I can't say enough good things about these guys.

not dealing fair

After placing an order for Centric brake pads and rotors on a Friday night, I compared Rock Auto’s shipping cost of $75 to the tire rack’s shipping charge of $31 for the same parts, and called to cancel the order two hours after placing the order. I was told the brake parts for my Mazda protégé were “special order” and Centric, Rock auto’s supplier, normally would not cancel an order.

I don’t understand how pads and rotors for a Mazda protégé would be “special order” and how when I placed an order on a Friday night, that two hours later, I could not cancel the order. The person I spoke with offered no other option except saying they would email me on Monday if the order could be canceled, but said it was “doubtful.

On Monday, I got a UPS tracking number but the parts had not shipped, yet I was not allowed to cancel the order on Friday night. The parts shipped on Tuesday.

I see they have a lot of positive reviews, but is it just me, or do most of the review look like they were written by sales people and not actual customers?

My advice is to stay away from Rock Auto and use a more reputable part supplier.

Longtime rockauto customer

from Upper Midwest

Comments about RockAuto.com:

Recently placed another order w/rockauto, and have bought from them numerous times in the past, as I have 5 vehicles (my car,her car, older truck,'classic car',and the motor home)plus my sisters vehicles as well, so I've bought a lot of parts,sometimes w/orders $400+ {$200+ for this last one}. so placed a order, it kept trying to move me to higher shipping, finally got it sorted out, it gave me a price total, then checked out, price had jumped $10+, gave in and accepted the new higher priced as I had enough time used on it already and checked out. Got a msg. showing they grabbed money from my account right away from a bank alert (used to not charged till ready to ship) that was even higher than my checkout page! Then got an 'Order Confirmation' from them showing a $5+ increase from my checkout page, called rock the following day, and got "Joe" who was very rude and condescending, and not very knowledgeable about the parts or the order, and who actually stated "do you have screenshots?", who takes screenshots while they're ordering! Never have before as places don't change the price total on me..ironically I do print out the 'order confirmation' page a place sends to keep track of my orders for myself, but never as I'm checking out! Then he rushed me off the phone and was downright rude about it too! saying "I don't have time to talk about this" isn't that what customer service is for?
Have noticed a big change in this company in the past 2 yrs., starting when they sent me the wrong parts and then said it was my fault even though the part numbers didn't match what was ordered!, don't know what's happened but have to let people know, as I used to brag about them to people, and get asked a lot about parts as I've always worked on my own vehicles. There are other places on the web much better, and even cheaper now.

Better not be in a hurry

from Whittie, CA

Comments about RockAuto.com:

2 days after ordering parts was informed that they would not arrive by fedex for another week. Slowest parts delivery I've experienced from any online parts supplier.

Don't bother calling customer service for an explanation. They'll just lay the blame on you for not paying for expedited shipping.

Will never buy from again!

from Tampa, FL

Comments about RockAuto.com:

Ordered Dorman Parking / Turn Signal Lamp Assembly for my truck. The website picture and description were correct. When they arrived, they were the wrong color. I was told that they do not warrant the part matching the pictures. I had to eat the shipping, both ways!
Stupidly, I ordered replacements through RockAuto again. This time the parts were from different manufacturers, visibly different and not from Dorman! Customer service told me that the parts were Dorman, but they would accept a return of a single lens. Once they received the return, they would reship the matching part. When I asked to return both for a full credit, they told me that only one was incorrect so that was not an option.

I will never buy from RockAuto again!

bad customer service if things go wrong

from denver, co

Comments about RockAuto.com:

great prices but very hit or miss on the prodcut descriptions - I ordered a part base don the description that should have fit my vehicle, but didnt and they ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to take any blame for their horrible description - resulting in me being charged shipping both ways to return the part.
After customer service like that I told them they'd lose me as a customer for ever and they didnt bat an eyelid

Never ever again

from Montreal, Canada

Comments about RockAuto.com:

Just a warning to potential buyers. I ordered 12 items on April 22th via the cheapeast consolidated shipping option, only received one. RockAuto refunded the 11 other items, and charged me a 62% more expensive Fedex option on the received item despite me requesting and paying for the cheapest consolidated option. This jacks the price of my single item to more than what I would pay locally. When requesting the difference (Fedex minus cheaper consolidated shipping), they are no longer replying to my emails. This was my last purchase at RockAuto.

Terrible customer service, product does not match the picture

Comments about RockAuto.com:

I ordered two stabilizer bar links for my vehicle. One matched the disciption, the other one didn't. I contacted them and go three e mail runarounds. They basically said too bad. Here is their quote, "Thank you for sending images of the two Moog part # K8744. If both parts were received in boxes references K8744 & the overall dimensions match, the parts will service the intended vehicle. Production variances from a manufacturer are beyond our control as a retailer." I will never order from them again.

They dont care about your purchase-just themselves

Comments about RockAuto.com:

This internet auto store might have good value auto parts if they are available, but in regards to customer service they are the worst. Never had I ordered anything from the internet where a customer representative rep(s) had argued and lectured me via email on my order and their refusal to credit my account on the discount they promoted, but never applied after the purchase date. They said I entered the discount number incorrectly and therefore it was "too expensive" for them to credit my account with the discount. What kind of company is this?

The fact is they had credited me before on a previous order, but now they will not. I never heard of a reputable sales company that does this?

If I were you I would shop around for other real company that does real business and care about customers and not just their self servicing bottom line. Doubt it if they will last any longer with this practice.

will do biz with rockauto

Comments about RockAuto.com:

I try to shop locally, but with Rockauto.com, the price was great for a great product aluminum exhaust system (local stores not aluminum) with super fast shipment by Fedex. Better product and price than could have gotten locally and paying for shipment was well worth it.

Rock Auto ROCKS for both speed and price

Comments about RockAuto.com:

I ordered my shock on Tuesday night and received them on Thursday, and that was with the less expensive ground shipping. The prices were over $50 less per unit than any other supplier I could find so I saved $200!! I will definitely use them again. Great company!

Shipping from Rock Auto

Comments about RockAuto.com:

After placing my order Tues early afternoon, I was told my order will arrive within 4 to 5 days, and that my order will ship Tues and arrive Saturday. Now when I checked Friday morning on my shipping status that has changed to next Tues. I was told from Rock Auto that weekends do not count toward the shipping days and that my order did not go out until weds. Prices are good. Shipping sucks and so do the prices they charge to get the parts. I am now looking to order parts somewhere else for now on.