3.5

Etsy.com

3.5

Pros

Cons

Etsy.com is for buyers and sellers of unique, homemade goodness

**Etsy.com **was introduced to me by a stylist and good friend, **Taryn Bickley**. (Check out her site: **http://www.tarynbickley.com/**) As an independent stylist herself, Taryn is all about supporting up and comers. So am I. **Etsy** is the perfect spot to find beautiful creations by undiscovered talent.

So I tell my fashion-minded friend Taryn that I'm in the market for the perfect summer tote. As any true girlfriend and style diva should, she emailed me a list of several selections she thought would fit my style and personality. Many of her tote recommendations were products on Etsy. I ended up buying one by the seller, piecesofkandee: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5096290&order=§ion_id=&page=1

**The Purchasing Process at Etsy**

**Etsy.com** allows you to place your order via [PayPal][1]  or credit card. Upon purchasing, you are connected to the actual designer(s) selling their product! How cool it that?! Most new talents are always willing to make little adjustments in the product for you before shipping. Remember, these are "handmade" and sometimes "made to order" items so you can ask for a minor adjustments like sizing and fabric. If you happen to be ordering a gift... many sellers will gift wrap and add thoughtful extras like a handmade card.

When I ordered, I immediately received an email from the tote maker, Heidi. She confirmed my purchase and thanked me for the business. She also let me know when I should expect to receive the shipment.

**My new, handmade tote arrives...**

Heidi mailed my new, adorable tote (see photos) ON TIME and even included a cute free gift. She threw in handmade hair tie... a girly, girl must-have. She also included a personalized thank you card and her own business card. What a nice touch!

**What else does Etsy.com have to offer?**

*Shop Local - *You can search Etsy sellers by city to find who's selling what in your area. Cut down on shipping time and support your neighbors with the shop local capability.

*Sell your own stuff*- Etsy sells an eclectic mix of products from earrings, art, books and candles to toys, furniture and housewares. Sellers can add individual products to the site or set up a shop account if they have a retail location.

*Request Custom Items - *Shoppers can post requests for specific ideas and potential sellers can bid on the project!

*The Storque -*Read Etsy's BLOG for current events, reviews and news.

Overall, the site is very well done and easy to navigate. I've never had a problem searching for products. Categories are listed in a relatively intuitive way. Seriously, I realize I sound like I work for Etsy right now... but I just love the site and encourage you to give them a shot.

**Why I'm totally pleased with my tote purchase...**

I wish I had a $1 for every time I received a compliment on my tote. On the bus, on the train, in the grocery store... you name it, ladies notice it and ask where I bought it. Several times, I've told someone I got it off of Etsy and they're like, "OMG, I heard about that site!" I have my stylist friend, piecesofkandee and Etsy to thank for my oh so popular, shoulder bling.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/PayPal-reviews

At all costs avoid etsy!

As both a seller and consumer on etsy for the better part of 3 years, I can say with much experience that the vendors, for the most part, are reputable, hard working people who stand by their products.  The products are, for the most part, as described and well made.  The rub, however, is with the "etsy team", or management personnel.  If you are a vendor be prepared to be subjected to abuse galore.  The rules are not for the "etsy team" to follow, but rather interpret at whim.  Finally, if you are a minority of any ethnicity and make no efforts to conceal such, be very prepared for targeting and profiling.  You will have your shop shut down while you are on vacation, items deleated without an explanation, and harrassing emails without provocation.

So, in a nutshell-the sellers are wonderful.  The "etsy team" or those in power at etsy are abusive.

#BeltaneMoon on #Etsy

Comments about Etsy.com:

I am a piercing model who loves BeltaneMoon on Etsy. Steel is a wonderful shop owner who makes every effort to help customers determine their piercing jewelry needs. Very easy to talk to and has a great blog for piercing information. I adore the shop!

Awful site to sell on

from England

Comments about Etsy.com:

I set up a seller account with Etsy a couple of years ago. Although I have sold HUNDREDS of items on other craft and auction sites I have not sold one thing on Etsy. I contacted the customer services who told me it was up to me to promote my Etsy shop on social media etc.. In my opinion they have lots of sellers but not enough customers. Very disappointed and have now closed my etsy account.

Never again.

from Michigan

Comments about Etsy.com:

Terrible at shipping things it a decent time frame. Takes way longer than they predict it will take. I ordered something earlier this month and it was due to ship a week ago and hasn't yet shipped

Convenience store with designer goods

from New York

Comments about Etsy.com:

I always recommend to my friends this store when you need to give something unusual. In the catalog a lot of copyright goods, which you will not find in supermarkets. It is always original gifts, besides cheap.
Very many things from this store, I furnished the house, quite nice and cozy.

The company has no interest in hearing your complaint

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Etsy.com:

My roommate knew someone who worked at Etsy, he said staffer jobs included posting fake positive reviews on review websites. If you've bought or sold on Etsy and ever needed help, you probably know that you are left out to dry. The company has no interest in hearing from anyone who has a concern. They are notorious for this, there are much more worthy website who would appreciate your business as a buyer or a seller.

Mass produced items from Turkey & China sold as hand made!

Comments about Etsy.com:

Etsy is overflowing with products from Asia and Turkey lately. Mass production shops that claim to sell HAND MADE (by the shop owner) items. Yet when you research a little bit, you come to find out that many other shops are selling the exact same item. And when you research a little more, you can find those "hand made" items on sites like Alibaba for whopping $1.50 because they are mass produced and then resold on Etsy for $60+. What a fraud! My wife had purchased several "hand made" scarves from someone in Turkey. We later found those exact items in different Etsy stores and on another website. How can ONE person hand knit hundreds of scarves, sweaters, hats and gloves and have them all in different colors as well. We contacted Etsy but they never even responded. Making $$$ is apparently more important than keeping integrity!

Easy sounds like such a good idea but VERY careful!

Comments about Etsy.com:

I really liked an item and wanted to buy it. For 2 days I tried to use their payment process, PayPal, but it was not working. You can not contact Etsy. The email that I sent, asking for help, was answered with the suggestion to “contact the seller”. I did and after 4 days, agreed to send a Money Order to the seller. You can guess the rest of the story. The seller took the $377.00, cancelled his Etsy account and his cell phone number. Etsy said they couldn’t help me because I had not used PayPal…..but Etsy, I tried for 4 days!!!! Etsy has ignored the entire issue and was not willing to give any forwarding info or any help so that I could try to re-coup my money. It has been reported to the police. There is no support for the buyer. Beware!

Ripped off by Etsy and KristineLily shop

Comments about Etsy.com:

I ordered a ring from the Kristinelily shop on Etsy. After paying massive import taxes, turns out the shop sent a much smaller size, I sent a photo with a ring I already owned to show it. I was strung along and told to wait. When I eventually reported to Etsy, my "case eligibility" had magically expired, it disappeared right along with my right to post a review.
I've payed $ 105, and have nothing to show for it, even though Kristine Lily admitted she sent the wrong size, not even any excuse. My advice; don't do it because they do not care when things go wrong and will not reimburse you.

Good for shopping

from Utah

Comments about Etsy.com:

We've used Etsy.com for shopping for products as well as getting ideas for craft projects. It is a fun site to shop on, but a lot of products are overpriced. It is an easy site to navigate, but it would be nice if it were. Little easier to find a specific seller. We have a few friends who sell things and have been able to find their products without searching through pages of different sellers of similar products. We have also considered setting up a shop on Etsy to sell crocheted items, but we have not done so yet. Part of the reason we have hesitated is that Etsy charges to post a product, and then they charge again when the product is sold. I understand that Etsy.com needs to make money off of people posting, but I don't like that you need to pay simply for posting something when you have no guarantee of actually selling anything. I would prefer if they did not charge to post something and then charge a little more when an item is sold. This would help the people who are trying to get a business going but do not sell products immediately.

would give this company a two thumbs up!

Comments about Etsy.com:

I ordered a tshirt wanting it by a certain day. They pulled thru with getting the shirt done in a day and shipped in the mail the next day. T-shirt is so perfect! The t-shirt for the 50 year old arrived just in time. They answered email right away when I first ordered letting me know it's possible that it couldn't arrive on time but I took my chances.