3.4

Etsy.com

3.4

Pros

Cons

Etsy.com is for buyers and sellers of unique, homemade goodness

**Etsy.com **was introduced to me by a stylist and good friend, **Taryn Bickley**. (Check out her site: **http://www.tarynbickley.com/**) As an independent stylist herself, Taryn is all about supporting up and comers. So am I. **Etsy** is the perfect spot to find beautiful creations by undiscovered talent.

So I tell my fashion-minded friend Taryn that I'm in the market for the perfect summer tote. As any true girlfriend and style diva should, she emailed me a list of several selections she thought would fit my style and personality. Many of her tote recommendations were products on Etsy. I ended up buying one by the seller, piecesofkandee: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5096290&order=§ion_id=&page=1

**The Purchasing Process at Etsy**

**Etsy.com** allows you to place your order via [PayPal][1]  or credit card. Upon purchasing, you are connected to the actual designer(s) selling their product! How cool it that?! Most new talents are always willing to make little adjustments in the product for you before shipping. Remember, these are "handmade" and sometimes "made to order" items so you can ask for a minor adjustments like sizing and fabric. If you happen to be ordering a gift... many sellers will gift wrap and add thoughtful extras like a handmade card.

When I ordered, I immediately received an email from the tote maker, Heidi. She confirmed my purchase and thanked me for the business. She also let me know when I should expect to receive the shipment.

**My new, handmade tote arrives...**

Heidi mailed my new, adorable tote (see photos) ON TIME and even included a cute free gift. She threw in handmade hair tie... a girly, girl must-have. She also included a personalized thank you card and her own business card. What a nice touch!

**What else does Etsy.com have to offer?**

*Shop Local - *You can search Etsy sellers by city to find who's selling what in your area. Cut down on shipping time and support your neighbors with the shop local capability.

*Sell your own stuff*- Etsy sells an eclectic mix of products from earrings, art, books and candles to toys, furniture and housewares. Sellers can add individual products to the site or set up a shop account if they have a retail location.

*Request Custom Items - *Shoppers can post requests for specific ideas and potential sellers can bid on the project!

*The Storque -*Read Etsy's BLOG for current events, reviews and news.

Overall, the site is very well done and easy to navigate. I've never had a problem searching for products. Categories are listed in a relatively intuitive way. Seriously, I realize I sound like I work for Etsy right now... but I just love the site and encourage you to give them a shot.

**Why I'm totally pleased with my tote purchase...**

I wish I had a $1 for every time I received a compliment on my tote. On the bus, on the train, in the grocery store... you name it, ladies notice it and ask where I bought it. Several times, I've told someone I got it off of Etsy and they're like, "OMG, I heard about that site!" I have my stylist friend, piecesofkandee and Etsy to thank for my oh so popular, shoulder bling.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/PayPal-reviews

At all costs avoid etsy!

As both a seller and consumer on etsy for the better part of 3 years, I can say with much experience that the vendors, for the most part, are reputable, hard working people who stand by their products.  The products are, for the most part, as described and well made.  The rub, however, is with the "etsy team", or management personnel.  If you are a vendor be prepared to be subjected to abuse galore.  The rules are not for the "etsy team" to follow, but rather interpret at whim.  Finally, if you are a minority of any ethnicity and make no efforts to conceal such, be very prepared for targeting and profiling.  You will have your shop shut down while you are on vacation, items deleated without an explanation, and harrassing emails without provocation.

So, in a nutshell-the sellers are wonderful.  The "etsy team" or those in power at etsy are abusive.

complete unfairness to its sellers

from Birmingham,AL

Comments about Etsy.com:

etsy has either allowed customers, it's competing sellers, or folks that have no affiliation with etsy to claim copyright infringement on some of its number 1 sellers. this is a craft site not a dang record label, grow up etsy if you are not gonna investigate or you ate going to pick and choose who you ban or block when you have many sellers using same materials ,descriptions, and logos then you are pretty much saying up yours to your 5 star sellers!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Buyers Beware!

from Chicago

Comments about Etsy.com:

When I discovered Etsy several years ago, I was thrilled with the handmade items and the responsiveness and personal touch of the shop owners. However, over the past two years, the site has been flooded with new "vintage" junk and poor practices. Of 5 shops with which I placed orders in the past two months, Two never sent my order and I waited 3 weeks for Etsy to figure it out and refund, one sent the wrong item, and one told me a week after the item was supposed to be shipped that she couldn't find it. There is NO quality or policy control by Etsy. What a shame.

Kudos to Tudor Sign Company!

from Hamilton Square, NJ

Comments about Etsy.com:

I had the pleasure of finding Tudor on Etsy and could not be happier to have had the good fortune of receiving a "customized" art work from Maria. Our wall decor arrived exactly on time and exceeded our expectations! I would highly recommend them to anyone seeking quality workmanship at a very reasonable price. Maria's concern for her customers is evident from the start to finish! I have highly recommend Tudor without reservation!

What happened?

from Chico, CA

Comments about Etsy.com:

I thought I was ordering a bracelet using Etsy. Instead a $28 coffee mug arrived. Seriously not happy! Be careful ordering from this company.

Want to become an Etsy seller?

from NYC

Comments about Etsy.com:

If you're thinking about selling on Etsy please be aware that, if you email with a question or concern (have to email because there's no phone number) and if you're lucky enough to get any reply in the following week or two, Etsy will send you an obviously canned and entirely unrelated response. If you write again they'll repeat themselves and tell you that they won't be responding again. If you complain in the community forum they will "muzzle" your account so your not allowed post messages. And if you express any further concern they will invent a reason to close your shop entirely, and keep any funds that were in your shop account. The internet it loaded with sellers and former sellers who have had similar experiences with this site.

#BeltaneMoon on #Etsy

from ny

Comments about Etsy.com:

I am a piercing model who loves BeltaneMoon on Etsy. Steel is a wonderful shop owner who makes every effort to help customers determine their piercing jewelry needs. Very easy to talk to and has a great blog for piercing information. I adore the shop!

Awful site to sell on

from England

Comments about Etsy.com:

I set up a seller account with Etsy a couple of years ago. Although I have sold HUNDREDS of items on other craft and auction sites I have not sold one thing on Etsy. I contacted the customer services who told me it was up to me to promote my Etsy shop on social media etc.. In my opinion they have lots of sellers but not enough customers. Very disappointed and have now closed my etsy account.

Never again.

from Michigan

Comments about Etsy.com:

Terrible at shipping things it a decent time frame. Takes way longer than they predict it will take. I ordered something earlier this month and it was due to ship a week ago and hasn't yet shipped

Convenience store with designer goods

from New York

Comments about Etsy.com:

I always recommend to my friends this store when you need to give something unusual. In the catalog a lot of copyright goods, which you will not find in supermarkets. It is always original gifts, besides cheap.
Very many things from this store, I furnished the house, quite nice and cozy.

The company has no interest in hearing your complaint

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Etsy.com:

My roommate knew someone who worked at Etsy, he said staffer jobs included posting fake positive reviews on review websites. If you've bought or sold on Etsy and ever needed help, you probably know that you are left out to dry. The company has no interest in hearing from anyone who has a concern. They are notorious for this, there are much more worthy website who would appreciate your business as a buyer or a seller.