Other Vacuums:
Rainbow
E2
Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum

Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum

Pros

• Powerful/good suction (3)

• Carpet (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Frequent user (4)
    • Personal (4)

Don't call it a vacuum cleaner

My family's experience spans 27 years of owning a Rainbow. We bought out first RAINBOW in Mexico City while I was working for a multi-national. The level of pollution was killing my family and our pocket book with 2 and 3 visits to the allergist a week. The Rainbow we bought then is still woking like a champ and we also bought the newest modle 4 months ago. And as unbelievable as it sounds, it is 100 times better than the older one which already impressed my family beyond belief.
True, you have to empty the water after every use, but to be fair, if you want your VC to halfway work ok, you need to empty the bag after every use also. And have you ever emptied a VC bag? it is like dust on steroids up your nose!!!
We have never had a problem with the product except for having to replace a belt on the power nozzle and that was after 15 years of use.
I don't know about others, but the economics work themselves out in favor of a one-time investment that will last for decades, get your home incredibly clean and healthy and comfortable to live in, in exchange for a little loving back to the machine.
I now have a 15 year old Schanuzer that is having all kinds of accidents on our carpet. The new attachment, the carpet shampooer, has kept our carpet clean, fresh, and odorless in spite of our dog's constant mishaps.
Some people like quality and can afford it; some people couldn't care less or can't afford it. That is just the way free markets work
The technology alone is unequaled, and the benefits include no downtime and allergic misery.
So, if you have a chance and want the best for your family, you owe it to them to purchase this incredible cleaning system. All USA made!!! Quality, reliability, and performance.

Works great, but not convenient!

This vacuum is great, it does what the salesman have said, and I like that there is no dust in the air. The downside and the only reason I don't really use it, is that is hard to get ready. You have to fill the tub with water, and just getting the tub out of the rest of the machine, isn't overly hard but it's not that easy either. Requires taking snapping the whole top part of and then lifting the tub out. You then have to take it to the sink and fill it with water, and very carefully (trying not to spill) place it back with the rest of the vacuum and snap it back in place. And then you can vacuum. I do love that it doesn't leave that scent other traditional vacuums leave behind. And if you put some smelly oil stuff into the water it actually leaves a very nice aroma in the air. I can clean up both dry and wet messes with ease, I don't have to worry about the Rainbow being ruined due to a wet mess. I can also use it as a carpet cleaner instead of having to rent or pay someone else to do it.

Again it does do what the sales pitch says. But when I'm as busy as I normally am (and lazy), I don't feel like taking the time to put the water in, then vacuum, then take the whole thing apart and empty the nasty water out (which I never knew where to dump that nasty water btw). With a traditional vacuum I can go in pull it out, plug it in, vacuum, unplug it, and put it away and then change the dirt out every couple of cleanings.

Rainbow Cleaning System Vacuum Worst Buying Decision Ever

from Ocoee Florida

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Long Power Cord
  • Powerful/Good Suction

Cons

• Doesn't work effeciently
  • Hard to move
  • Heavy
  • Poor Design

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

I made a horrible mistake buying this. Sales person wouldn't take no for an answer. I gave up my Shark for this, bad mistake. It is hard to pull around through the house. It is heavy. Hate it

• Personal

If you are single, wealthy, and asthmatic buy this vacuum.

from West Michigan

Pros

Cons

• Pricey

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

This vacuum has a powerful motor and is equipped with a hepa filter.
      If you are the only one using it and are diligent about changing the water every time you use it, then it will probably last as long as the loan you have out on it lasts.
      If you add up the loan payments, it totals over $4200.00 if you pay the minimum $80.00 a month. If you are late on a payment, the late fee is $140.00! You cannot vacuum up small dust particles like powder because it clogs up the filter. Replacement parts are also pricey. Do your homework before the salesman comes to your door.

Nope, Not For Me

from Florida

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Powerful/Good Suction

Cons

• Noisy
      • Short Power Cord

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

This machine does filter the larger dirt particles into the water tub...........however it exhausts the smaller into the air through a hepa filter....For the price it's simply not worth it. The water bath is inconvenient to use. I have found other cleaners to be equal in cleaning power costing less, and also using a Hepa filter..

I LOVE My Rainbow!

from San Antonio, TX

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Easy To Empty
      • Easy to Use
      • Efficient
      • Long Power Cord
      • Powerful/Good Suction

• Hardwood Floors
        • Pet Hair
        • Tile Floors

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

I have kids, dogs and cats so I vacuum frequently! I love this vacuum. Sometimes it's inconvenient to stop and empty the water, but it's so worth the little extra effort. I love the fact that it's environmentally better and it cleans so well, too. I guess my only negative would be doing the stairs is a little challenging, but again, I would buy it again.

Rainbow Cleaning System

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

As a recent purchaser, I have found suction power to be better than most typical household systems, the vacuum head detaches easily, and I enjoy the attachment to clean hardwood and tile flooring. I have also discovered some other concerns that make it a buyer’s remorse burden for me, specifically, cost and ease of use. The power cord is too short for the large areas I need to cover, especially compared to our old system. It was recommended by the sales team to hang the cord over the shoulder to keep it out of the way, which shortens the length dramatically. I once had to change outlets once or twice, and now it is 4-5 times to reach areas, and to keep the cord out of my way (i.e. dragging the unit over the cord). The unit can be cumbersome, especially navigating around furniture, on landings, around corners, over rugs, managing the cord, etc. These units are probably best suited for a ranch style houses unless you find it enjoyable to lug it up and down stairs...full of dirty water, or it will need emptied for each level extending cleaning time and possibly cleaning up other areas depending where you choose to dump the dirty water. The design includes securing the attachment holder above the vacuum hose, and the attachments often collect the hose in the process of cleaning. The vacuum hose at times can be difficult to insert as it is not easily visible under the attachment, and it must be properly aligned to seat correctly, for both power and suction. The salesperson is undoubtedly a pro and makes it seem effortless, so give it a few tries to see if you have issues. I find vacuum hose is also short and requires constant tugging on the unit to keep up and falls over frequently if disturbed. I don't necessarily mind the dirty water, as it proves the suction power, but if you need a quick cleaning before company, or for whatever reason then you are stuck with letting it sit or cleaning it too. They will try and include taking your current vacuum as a prerequisite for a "discount", I would caution against this tactic and get the Rainbow for the same price, or cheaper...negotiate, negotiate, negotiate, and do not fall victim to the smoke and mirrors of the year supply of smelly oils (the "air freshening" dissipates quickly, but not before they get you to sign), "free" gift in the "Rainmate", and/or the calling the supervisor for "check-ins" and discount approvals. Bottom line is try their system in various rooms and areas, and not just in an open room over the spot your present vacuum failed to collect as much debris (which can be impressive depending on your present system). I kept my old primary system, and I am glad I did, as it remains ever useful. My old unit reminds me of its good qualities (ease of use/adequate capabilities), and I use the pricy, powerful and cumbersome Rainbow to augment it...when I have time to mess with it.

• Versatility:

Expensive but very good vacuum cleaner

from Medon, TN

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

We recently purchased the Rainbow Canister Vacuum. As a child, I remember my parents purchasing one and the new model is very similar to the one we owned many years ago. The features I love the most are the addition of water in the cleaner and the ease of moving the vacuum around the house - as long as we're talking one story house here. I would have given this vacuum a 10, but for two reasons. One is that the vacuum is not easy to carry to another floor of the house once the water has been loaded in the base. The second reason is the nasty mess you have when you finish vacuuming and have to empty the water canister. Keep in mind that the water bowl has to be emptied after each and every use. Maybe my house is dirtier than yours, but, personally, I don't enjoy trying to get all the dirt out of the water bowl. Maybe I"m too particular in that I refuse to put the vacuum away until the water bowl is free of all the dirt that I vacuum up during each use.

Maneuverability
        This vacuum is very easy to move around the house. I have hardwood floors in most rooms and several throw and area rugs throughout the house. This vacuum glides easily over all the surfaces. Now, when it comes time to move to the upstairs, I do not enjoy having to carry the vacuum up the stairs especially when the water basin is full. Guess I could buy two vacuums -one for downstairs and one for upstairs- but the vacuum is priced way too high for me to even consider this option.

Ease of Maintenance
        I haven't had a single problem with this vacuum. The only part I really dislike is having to empty the water basin after each and every use. This is not fun as there are places in the basin that the dirt can get stuck behind.

Absolutely GREAT

Versatility
        This vacuum will reverse, but I haven't tried that yet.

The one my parents owned never broke. I'm hoping for the same performance with mine.

• Versatility:

Too big, heavy, bulky, expensive

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

I paid twice the amount on review. I was told that if I got people agreeing to take a call from them that I would get the rest of the system - the shampooer. The people I had them call was a long list that I called and got their approval were smarter than I am as they refused. So I only got the vacuum and a small vaporizer but did manage to get a long vacuum hose out of them.
        This is heavy, huge (no closet will store it) doesn't clean as good as my Shark. I have cats and it doesn't clean up the cat hair well. The upholstery attachment broke and I couldn't get my dealer to answer the phone or return my calls. I contacted another dealer and he was nice and fixed the problem for me. I have to sent the piece in to him.

Now less than a year of using it the "great" brushes are wearing out. Spend more money on this? Guess not. Anyone want to buy this cheap is welcome to it.

It's too heavy, too bulky, doesn't clean well and I don't think it is controlling the dust any better than my shark!

Maneuverability
        Bulky to get around chair legs easily.

Ease of Maintenance
        Just a quick vacuum job before someone comes over is a job of cleaning and washing the tank. I would NEVER flush the contents down my septic system - I always dump outside.

Suction Performance
        Still not enough for me!

Versatility
        Have to store it in an empty room not in the closet where it would be easy to get out.

Too big DON"T BUY THIS!

Lots of plastic for the price.

Very good machine

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

We are enjoying our Rainbow after seeing a demonstration of our Bissell not performing at the capacity of the Rainbow. It's very easy to maneuver and is light except for the canister part. You definitely see the results when your done. We have a dog and picking up hair is a big thing around our house. This machine does the job and then some.
        It can also purify the air, add a fresh scent to the rooms, and even be used as a wet vac.

Easy to move around.

Ease of Maintenance
        Just dump dirty water down the toilet and flush. You will have to rinse the bowl in the vac and refill with water. Even cleaning the part that is suppose to be cleaned once in a while wasn't too hard to do.

Suction Performance
        Definitely powerful and then some.

Versatility
        Like I said before. This machine can be used as several things. A wet vac, a deodorizer, and an air purifier.

The design is alright. The only thing I have a problem with is the part where the extra accessories attach to the machine. It's like they don't all fit. Too many accessories and not enough knobs to place the attachments.

It seems to have a rubber molding around the base of the wheel unit so if it bumps into anything, it won't damage the unit.

• Versatility:

I love my Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum.

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

I love my Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum. I actually vacuum more with it then I did with my Dyson, mainly because there isn't any dust that flies around to mess with my allergies. It also had a fa-nominal warranty, so I will take it in every year for a cleaning and hopefully never need another vacuum or carpet cleaner.

Maneuverability
        The only reason this gets an 8 is because I am used to my old Dyson as an upright, so I didn't have vacuum with a hose and a canister to pull around. I need to get used to this and I think it will be better. I do think if they could come up with something that will retract the plug cord as you are vacuuming it would be really great, because the plug cord gets in the way and if the canister doesn't get stopped by it it runs over it, so maybe a change to make it roll over the plug cord easier, but not too big of a deal, maybe when I get used to it.

Ease of Maintenance
        The maintenance is actually pretty easy, the salesman showed us to just dump the water in the canister in the toilet and then just clean it out with hot soapy water. The part that I don't like is that all of the hair and that sits at the top of the water (I have two dogs, so there is hair) and I don't want to dump that down the toilet for fear of plugging it up, so I clean the hair out of the dirty water with my hand and throw it in the trash then dump the water in the toilet. Overall it is super easy, not having to deal with the dust from a bag or the Dyson canister or having to clean the Dyson filters.

Suction Performance
        Love it. It actually cleans along the wall because of the suction and the round brushes on each front corner.

Versatility
        I use it on a daily basis for the air cleaner part, so when I need to vacuum it is just a matter of getting out the hose and floor unit and attaching it to the front of the canister. It also automatically changes for going from carpet to tile/hard wood floors and back again.

I love it, it isn't really heavy even with the water in it. The few other things I mentioned above.

• Versatility:

Absolutely Amazing product!! Well worth the money.

Comments about Rainbow Cleaning System Canister Vacuum:

This is the best vacuum cleaner I have ever owned. If you have allergies this vacuum is a must. I have pollen allergies and usually get sick at least twice a year. Since owning this vacuum cleaner I have not had any issues in the last two years. The one I have comes with 4 attachments so I can clean regular carpeted floors, ceiling fans, ceilings, walls, even the edging around the wall that the vacuum head cant get to.

Maneuverability
        The canister sits on and locks into a base that has 4 wheels. I personally have dragged it from tile to carpet and back again. I have also used it outside when I clean out my car.

Ease of Maintenance
        Very easy to maintain. Just be careful if you suck up liquids and then go to a dirty carpet. It will need to be thoroughly cleaned as soon as you are done or it will dry and clog up the intake in the vacuum head attachment. Very easy to change out the belt, the roller comes off easy for cleaning.

Suction Performance
        This is where the allergy benefit comes from. When I bought this we had just moved into a house that had carpet in every room. I could put the vacuum hose up to my ear as I vacuumed and it sounded like I was sucking up the local beach, pebbles and all. I ended up having to empty the canister 7 times in just the living room. After I was done you could physically feel the difference in the carpet. Not only was it cleaner it had its original feel back. I did the whole house this way once. After that I used the low setting to filter the air in each room for an hour a day and I did a regular vacuuming of the house once a week. My daughter had chronic bronchitis and I had problems with allergies and we live in the country so there are plenty of things to set both of us off. Neither one of us has had any problems in the last 3 years.

Versatility
        Very versatile. Like I said I use it on tile, carpet, the front porch, my car. The wheels don't roll as easily in grass but that is to be expected. A little extra pull and it does just fine.

The design is great. My model has two holes, one for suction, and one for pushing air so you can vacuum or blow off the porch steps! It's low setting acts as an air filter, sit it in a room for 30 min twice a week, or when you burn something in the kitchen, its awesome!!! Is super easy to clean. The only thing I sometimes have a problem with is when I am reconnecting the top side back to the base, it has to line up and snaps to signify its connected. Sometimes it takes a little wiggle to connect.

So far I haven't broken anything. I actually got too close to the porch steps and it took a tumble but it was fine. It was still running when I picked it up. Nothing cracked so I would say it is durable.