Other Vacuums:

Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Good vacuum for the money.

Comments about Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614:

The Kenmore progressive is a good vacuum in several ways. It is easy to maneuver because it is not real heavy. It does not have the most powerful suction but is good for everyday cleaning. The utensils are stored on the machine itself which is handy. However the crevice tool that is stored on the handle is very difficult to put back in place. I gave and have stored mine on the closet shelf. It has a rewind able electric cord but it doesn't rewind well at all. I read this fact in a review before I bought my machine and it is very true.

Maneuverability
Light enough to move easily. Machine follows behind pretty well and does not turn over when pulled along behind me like the last canister vacuum I had.

Ease of Maintenance
I have not had to perform any maintenance except to put the bag back where it belonged. The vacuum wasn't providing good suction so on investigating I found that the bag had come loose from the hose end inside the canister and the dirt was going into the space outside the bag.

Suction Performance
Could have more power. I do like the fact that I can change the suction power. I can lower it to clean delicate items such as my dolls.

Versatility
Let's me clean everything top to bottom with the array of tools and the stretchy hose.

Sleek and functional.

Have only had it 4 months. Don't know about long range.

• Versatility:

Kenmore Progressive Vacuum 21614 has POWERFUL Suction!

Comments about Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614:

I'm very happy with this vacuum cleaner. It has strong suction and the carpet brush does a great job removing pet hairs. I like that I can shorten the wand, this is especially helpful in places like small stairways. The small rotating brush is great for small area rugs and floor mats.

Maneuverability
It's a little on the heavy side

Ease of Maintenance
The bags are fairly easy to change

Suction Performance
It's very important to me that a vacuum cleaner has outstanding suction and this one fits the bill.

Versatility
I would say this vacuum cleaner is very versatile because you can use the rotating brush attachment for large carpets but if you just want to clean doormats and you don't want to attach the brush just for that you can use the small rotating brush that's under the cover. This is one of my most favorite features of this vacuum cleaner.

I like that I can leave the round brush attached between the handle and the wand. Then all I have to do is detach the wand to use it on baseboard or window sills and things like that.

Love this Vacuum!

Comments about Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614:

I used to rave about my Rainbow vacuum. I received this Kenmore as a gift a few years ago and it is by far the best bagged vacuum I have ever had. It is very comparable to a Rainbow with suction and airflow. It cleans so well compared to other vacuums.I have never replaced a belt or any part on it. It is very reliable. My only complaints are that it is a vacuum that uses bags and it's a canister. Canister vacuums (in my house) get easily banged into corners, wall, furniture, etc. All though it is light weight, it still has to be drug around behind you when vacuuming. I use it to clean my carpet and tile. It would be nice if a long handle hard surface tool would be included for my kitchen floors but it thankfully attaches to my Rainbows floor cleaner. It also has a nice little compartment that all the accessories fit into. This is a very good quality vacuum. I love this vacuum and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Best vac on the market

from Indiana

Comments about Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614:

Over all I couldn't be happier with this vacuum. I bought it on the recommendation of my parents who have been using Kenmore's for decades.

Maneuverability
It is very easy to maneuver this vacuum. The head on it is the perfect size to go between the legs on chairs and tables. The bare floor attachment rotates easily to get to hard to reach areas.

Ease of Maintenance
So far, this machine has been very easy for me to maintain. I've changed bags with ease, as well as a brush roll and a belt. I'm not sure how more complicated things would be, but there's a good service department nearby for that purpose.

Suction Performance
The suction on this vac is fantastic. I've not had a problem picking up anything, from kitty litter to very fine dust. The suction does decrease a bit as the bag fills up, but frankly that's true of almost any vacuum.

Versatility
The versatility of this vac gets an A+++. The design is far superior to that of an upright model. Between the telescoping wand and multitude of attachments, it's easy to clean every surface in a house.

The only complaint I have about this model is that I wish the bristles on the dusting attachment were a bit longer. That said, I think this style will make the attachment more durable and less needing of being replaced down the road.

So far I've not had any issues with durability or performance.

• Versatility:

Small, versatile, and great for pets!

Comments about Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614:

I love this vacuum! I had no idea how much dirt and grime my upright vacuum was leaving behind until I tried this one. The canister style makes it so much easier to get into small spaces and get every speck of dirt. I love the retractable power cord; with my other vacuum, I was constantly tripping over excess cord, and it was a real nuisance to wind and unwind (and untangle) it every time I needed to vacuum. The canister is light enough to pick up and take upstairs, out to the car, etc., but still feels very sturdy.
There are several different attachments, including a bare-floor one that makes cleaning my laminate floors and tile a breeze. (Who wants to be sweeping those floors all day? Not I!) There's a long narrow attachment for getting into tight corners, a soft brush-type one, and a smaller version of the bare-floor one. My favorite one, though, is the miniature beater-bar attachment. It's the perfect size for deep-cleaning the stairs, and I often use it on my upholstery, though that may or may not be what it's actually for. the long metal extension can be removed for close-at-hand vacuuming, or left on to help reach those pesky cobwebs up by the ceiling.
The suction of the vacuum with all attachments is great. I have a long-haired cat who sheds constantly. Thanks to this vacuum and the attachments, no one would even be able to tell I have a cat at all!
One thing I really like about this model of vacuum is the suction/bag full light on the canister. It will let you know if you have the height adjustment to low for the floor or furniture you're vacuuming, or if you've sucked up something you shouldn't that's causing the vacuum not to be able to suck properly. When the bag is getting full, the light comes on more frequently, because a full bag negatively impacts the sucking ability of the vacuum. The bag is very easy to replace, as is the HEPA air filter. (This filter, by the way, has been great for reducing my family's allergies!) With a new bag and filter, this vacuum works incredibly well. One word of warning, however: this vacuum is much more powerful than others I've used. How do I know? I was cleaning behind my dresser and the vacuum sucked up a whole shawl before I even had a chance to react! Luckily, I was able to open up the canister and fish the shawl out of the bag, but this is really not something I'd suggest doing often, as tempting as it may be to suck up all your kids' dirty laundry!
There are four height settings for suction, from "X-LO" for bare floors or deep-cleaning to "HIGH" for deep-pile carpets. Suction can be further customized with a sliding air-flow control on the handle. The power button is right on the handle too, to make it easy to turn on and off. There are actually three power settings: “Floor” is just basic power, intended for bare floors, cobweb-dusting, and the like; “Carpet” engages the deep-cleaning bars in the main head attachment. Both settings work perfectly for their intended uses, and it's very easy to toggle between the two when going from bare floor to carpet and back.
I do have a few (very minor) complaints: I often find it difficult to push the little button on the telescoping pole all the way in so I can change attachments. I find the proximity of the carpet height adjuster to the foot control for angling the pole to be mildly irritating. Additionally, the main deep-cleaning head is almost too maneuverable, and I sometimes have a difficult time getting it to go where I want when I'm not just vacuuming in a straight line. do wish the canister had a place for the smaller deep-cleaning head, as it does for all the other attachments. Finally, the handle/pole/vacuum head combination is too top-heavy to stand up, so it often falls over. As I said, though, these are very minor complaints, just a few things that keep this from being a 10-star rating.
Overall, this is a great vacuum, and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who's in the market for a new one. It's a little more expensive than some basic models, but it's worth every penny!

• Versatility:

Works well but not happy with design.

from Dundalk, MD

Comments about Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614:

This is my 3rd Kenmore Cannister Vacuum and I have to say my least favorite. I wish they would have kept the simple design which stored all of the tools inside the vacuum with easy access and also had a design which made it easier to change the bag.

Maneuverability
Vacuum is heavy and somewhat bulky in design.

Ease of Maintenance
The case does not open all the way for easy changing of the bag.

Suction Performance
Vacuum performs it's job well but occasionally will not pick up something.

Versatility
Not very versatile compared to older models. The small rounded brush tool is now attached to the vacuum on the outside. It has to be slid off, then another part slid down in order to use it. WIth the older model I just took it out of the storage case inside the vacuum. Hard to get back into place when you are done with it also.

As stated earlier the design of this vacuum makes it more difficult to utilize. You can purchase Hepa filter bags for people with allergies but the bags are more expensive. There was supposed to be a Hepa bag that came with it but they only gave me a paper type bag.

I have only had the vacuum a couple of months so I cannot comment on the durability much except to say it is still working.

• Versatility:

If I'd only known then what I know now....

from Northampton, PA

Comments about Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614:

Really disappointed in this vacuum.

Suction Performance
This vacuum does suck - but not in a good way. Neither the power head nor the hard floor attachment does a very good job of cleaning along the edges. There is nothing more aggravating than gliding this vac around the baseboards of my kitchen and watching as lightweight crumbs remain virtually untouched.

Versatility
I thought this vacuum was going to be as versatile as my previous canisters had been. But now they've done away with the rectangular hard surface hand-held attachment that was so perfect for stairs and upholstery. In it's place is some oval-shaped attachment with slots in it which has proven pretty useless. They've also moved the brush attachment right to the end of the pole at the hand grip. The idea is so that you can pull the bar apart to use the brush quickly and easily and then simply snap it back together and continue vacuuming. Seemed like a good idea at the time, however, this new brush is also oval in shape. This is the classic square peg in a round hole, only in reverse. Why would anyone think an oval brush would be an effective tool given the fact that homes are filled with corners?!?

The folks responsible for this design obviously don't do much cleaning. Neither does anyone at Consumer Reports, apparently. Gone are those trusty metal push-button releases at all the connection points of poles & attachments. Now you get big, bulky plastic connectors that snap together - but don't STAY together. It is highly annoying to be carrying this vacuum around and having the power head continually falling off. But the icing on the cake is the crevice tool which you snap into one of those afore-mentioned bulky plastic ends. The ends are so fat, I can't get my crevice tool into any crevices. Ditto for trying to reach under some low-lying furniture. If I hadn't paid so much money for this vacuum, it would almost be comical.

This is my third (and last) Kenmore canister vac. I can't really comment on the durability, since I've had it for less than a year. I have had two previous Kenmore vacs which wore like iron and I literally drove them into the ground. I will say, however, that I am hoping this one dies an early death since I dislike it that much.

The best on the market

from Cape Canaveral, FL

Comments about Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614:

You can always rely on CR. They really test the recommended products and you're never disappointed if you follow their advice. This vacuumcleamer is not the most expensive but absolutely the best. I have two kitties and when they shed the carpets are full of pet hair. With a few strokes of the Kenmore the hairs aresucked in.

Kenmore 21614- a great value for the price

from Sandy Hook, CT

Comments about Kenmore Progressive Bagged Canister Vacuum 21614:

We bought this vacuum to replace the similar model we had used happily for the past 12 years.

Maneuverability
No problems moving from room to room around corners etc.

Ease of Maintenance
We did not realize that we were supposed to be washing the filters on this machine. If we had I'm sure the Kenmore we had before this one would have lasted even longer.

Suction Performance
We have lots of cat hair and are happy with the vacuum's performance.

Versatility
It has lots of extra tools to get into many places and they store very easily.