Other Dog Treats:
Purina Busy Bone

Purina Busy Bone

Pros

Cons

If Pavlov would have had these!

Having two dogs can keep me on my toes as to how to keep them busy but this product helps with their need to chew and my need to keep their teeth clean. There are several products that I love and this one is a favorite because it seems to last longer than some of the other chew sticks and products. Because it is thicker, it takes my Australian Cattle Dog a good hour or two to tear through this bone and that means cleaner teeth and a happy dog for me. Both of my dogs seem to enjoy attempting to get the middle as quickly as possible. I don't know what they put in them or what is appealing to them but it seems to work at keeping them occupied and interested. I truly love to give them the Busy Bones on a nice day so that they can enjoy the sun instead of being cooped up inside where they don't get a chew bone. When I pull these out, they know they are getting a treat and are getting to stay outside for a longer period of time. Pavlov knew what he was talking about.

Purina Mini Busy Bones didn't keep my dogs busy for very long

My family recently adopted a three year-old dog named Molly, so that our eleven year-old dog, Daisy, would have a new playmate. Okay, so Daisy isn't really much into playing and is set in her ways but Molly has been a wonderful addition to our family, especially for my children who love to play with her.

As adorable as Molly is, her chewing habit has taken a toll on my patience (and wallet) and has left a trail of destruction behind including a very chewed up door molding, some busted up tennis balls, and even my son's beloved lightsaber. To help Molly constructively indulge in her chewing habit, I was on a mission to purchase some dog chews that would be tasty and also keep her busy.

Enter **Purina Mini Busy Bone**, a cute heart-shaped chewable bone that is about 3.5 inches long and a little less than one inch in diameter. The inside of the Busy Bone has a meaty middle that does indeed smell meaty.

I bought the mini sized bones because I wanted something that both Molly and Daisy could enjoy. However, even though these are recommended for dogs Daisy's size (she is 12 pounds), this bone is too big for her. She has a difficult time fitting is inside her mouth and it also seems to be heavy for her to carry.

As for Molly, the **Purina Mini Busy Bone **is a perfect size but it doesn't last long at all. The first time that I gave her one, she ate in less than five minutes and then promptly threw it up all over the carpet. Did I mention that the meaty inside is red? That was a fun cleanup.

Overall, the **Purina Mini Busy Bone **is a fun treat for most dogs although one mini size doesn't fit all.

Keeps Them Busy And Happy

from Pittsburgh, PA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Dog Likes It
  • Sturdier than a treat

Cons

• Messy

• Active Dogs
  • Larger Dogs
  • Medium Sized Dogs

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

I am always on the lookout for new dog treats or ways to spoil my large breed dogs. I had seen these in several stores before I made the decision to purchase them; my dogs like to have a treat after they are outside playing or when they sit still while I wipe their paws off. The Busy Bones are an edible elongated treat that is hollow but doesn't break easily. The only downside that I have experienced is that they are a little on the messy side once they start breaking them down. Between the dog slobber and the gnawing, eventually the Busy Bone will break into smaller pieces. There's no chance of them choking on the pieces because they are experienced with these types of treats but if you are giving them to a dog that hasn't had a lot of treats or bones, you are going to want to keep an eye on them. I feel they are safer than giving them a beef or pork bone because those can splinter and get stuck in their throat. While I prefer to use the KONG toys that the dogs have to keep them engaged and busy, sometimes they need a break. The Busy Bones can help remove a small amount of plaque from their teeth but there's nothing in the ingredients that's going to tackle bad breath. If you want to use this like a KONG you can use a straw or butter knife to press peanut butter into the center of the treat but that is going to add to the mess and clean up time when they eventually crack it open.

Good but Messy

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

I first bought these dog treats for our big guy in hopes they would be a long lasting bone like treat to keep his attention when we had guests over. He really enjoyed this particular treat and it did last long enough for people to get settled in but it does not last as long as the traditional rawhide bones I usually purchase for him. These bone treats have a semi hard flavor filling and hard exterior bone like cover. They are pretty messy when eating and my dog leaves behind a bunch of crumbs when he eats one of these treats. We also have beige colored carpet which gets little brownish red spots on it after he sits and eats these on the carpet from the center filling. There are a variety of flavors to choose from with these bone treats which is nice to have for offering my fur baby. I try to give these to him when he plans on keeping it outside on the patio to keep the mess outside.

Super

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

I really like these Buy Bone treats by Purina because they last a long time! You can give a whole one to your dog without worrying that they will eat too much, but they are soft enough to rip in half if you want. This is the major downfall of other comparable treats. Even though they are soft, for some reason they last a very long time with my dogs! Approximately one hour. This is saying something for my dogs who scarf everything down. It gives them something to do for awhile and makes them slow down. Also, you get more than one in a package which is another huge plus. The flavor is great and the dogs favorite part is in the middle, so they are always excited and interested in eating the whole thing. It does sort of make a mess though because little pieces will fall out of their mouths and get stuck in the carpet. All you have to do is make sure to vacuum. I would recommend these for sure!

Good Chewing Bone

from MI

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

We have a small dog - maltese/yorkie mix - with terrible breath and bad teeth, which apparently is a common problem in small dogs.

When she was younger, she really loved to chew and would chew up everything in sight. We tried several different types of treats/toys, etc. and the Purina Busy Bone is one of the few that she actually liked without getting sick from. We tried the Nylabone - which is terrible - we tried rawhides, greenies, and several other "chew on" bones, but kept coming back to this one.

Since Daisy is a small dog, a bone this size can keep her occupied for hours, which is nice. Also, the chewing action is great for her plaque-ridden teeth.

Overall we like this bone, and it has never really caused her any type of stomach upset, unlike some of the others. Now that she is older, however, she has sort of lost the motivation to gnaw on these types of treats anymore, but they did seem enjoyable for her when she was younger.

Great outdoor treat

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

My dog is now eight years old, and we've used these for him since he was one. He's a Labrador mix and has always loved to chew. We have settled on this brand as his outdoor chew treats. We don't use them indoors because the white outer part leaves marks on the carpet. That's my only complaint about these treats. The marks were hard to get out, so we moved him outdoors. They also leave marks on his fur, but those are easily brushed out. These keep him entertained while we do yard work or just hang out. They last quite awhile. He has them for half an hour sometimes with some leftover for the next day. Our dog gets excited when he sees the bag and really seems to enjoy them. The Busy Bone is reasonably priced and I can find them at just about any store. I think they also keep his teeth clean. I don't think they are meant as a dental aide but I notice a difference in his breath when he is eating these. He doesn't have doggy breath when we are using these.

One Busy Boy!

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

This Busy Bone definitely lives up to it's name without doubt! My dog, Oliver absolutely loves this bone, especially the "Chewnola" variety. When he sees me unwrapping the package, he eagerly awaits to be thrown the bone and once he starts chewing it, he is busy for a significant period of time. It is a treat he responds well to and is calm while enjoying it. Also, I like that it is readily available in the pet stores I shop in, as well as other general stores.

Keeps my dog happy and busy!

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

My dog absolutely loves the Purina Busy Bones, which means that I love them too! I usually buy my dog regular rawhides from the store, however I decided to try Purina Busy Bones because they were on sale. I was so happy that my dog seemed to enjoy them a lot more than the regular rawhides. I was extremely amazed at how well the Busy Bone actually kept my dog busy! My dog is very big and loves to jump on company so I decided to put the Busy Bone to the ultimate test. I gave my dog a Busy Bone right when I had a few guests over. My dog of course came to the door and saw who was there, but after a few minutes he ate his busy bone instead of jumping around the new people! After that I always save the Busy Bones for a treat when I know that I am going to have company. I really trust the Purina brand and I know that the Busy Bone has safe ingredients for my dog. Another great thing about the Purina Busy Bone is that they are soft. When my dog eats regular rawhides he likes to hide them, which means he usually scratches his nose up trying to bury the rawhide in the couch. The Busy Bone is so soft that my dog is unable to hurt his nose when he tries to hide it. The Purina Busy Bone is also inexpensive.

A well-named chew!

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

Busy Bone is a good name for this chew. I have a hard time keeping my dog occupied with any one chew because she just chomps through them like she's starving (which in fact she is not). So for her to get held up chewing for a while is a miracle. These are well worth the price for that reason. It's also good to know that she's not ruining her teeth in the process. I'm always concerned about my dog's teeth because they are still so pretty and white and I want to keep them that way as long as possible. I can recommend this product highly!

There are better options

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

My dog is about 60 pounds, so when I shop for treats I look for larger sizes. The large Busy Bones weren't enough to keep her occupied for more than about five minutes. The next day, her poop had a strange clay-like consistency that looked amazingly similar to chewed up Busy Bone. I'm not entirely sure what they're made of, but I'd rather give my dog treats she can enjoy for a longer time, and actually digest easily.

My Dogs go Nuts for Busy Bone.

from Kaukauna, WI

Comments about Purina Busy Bone:

I never tasted this or tried it for myself but I can tell a lot by my dogs reaction to the product. When I tell them that I bought them a busy bone they go wild. As soon as they see it, they are jumping up and down to
get at it while I'm opening the package.

This bone doesn't last very long but for the 15 mins that my dogs are chewing on it, they are concentrating on nothing else. They aren't moving until that bone is completely gone. Given that they enjoy it this much and that they eat it all up, I have to agree with them that it's a good bone.