3.5

Pros

Cons

Does the job.

Comments about Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker:

If you want a basic popcorn maker without a lot of bells and whistles, this one will work for you. If you are picky about your popcorn (you like it warm and buttery), then this air popper would not be your best bet. I like it because it is easy to use, is fast, requires little maintenance, and is better for you than oil popped corn. However, I don't put butter on my popcorn, so that might add to the easiness factor.
In terms of the design, the plastic top falls off relatively easily, and it takes a few times to figure out how many kernels to put in to make the amount you want without it spilling over the bowl. I use this popcorn popper only occasionally, but it is nice to have on hand. It also makes for a nice healthy snack if you don't load it with butter.

Very basic, but does the trick.

Settings/Features
Could be designed better.

Only two parts. Very easy.

Just pour the kernels in, and let it do it's job.

Not much too it, but I have had it for a while so it must be durable.

Easy Family Fun

Comments about Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker:

This is the easiest, no mess popcorn popper I have seen. Just ad kernels and hot air pops them. No oils or extreme heat. Kids love to help make it.

Fast, no mess, very few unpopped kernels left over

Settings/Features
Doesnt require different settings. Air popping is the best! Just add measured kernels and provide a bowl

just wipe clean with a damp or even dry cloth. no oils in use so really no mess at all

Just provide the kernels and the bowl!

Have had mine for years and through 3 kids helping and making bowl after bowl for movies it has made it through with no problems

from Waterford, NY

Comments about Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker:

I love this popcorn maker! I like that it makes healthy, oilless popcorn. You can use the heat from the popcorn maker to melt butter for your popcorn in a tray that pulls out of the plastic guard. It pops every kernal every time, and I've never had it burn any kernals. There isn't an on/off switch, but I don't find that to be a downfall. At least then I know I've remembered to unplug it. While you can't clean it by submerging it in the sink, taking a wet paper towel with soap on it and wiping down the inside (after it has cooled off, obviously) cleans it just as well (after all, how dirty does it really get just from heat and popcorn kernals?). The plastic guard and butter tray can be submerged and are very easy to clean. A great, fast snack maker for a great price!

• Settings/Features:

Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker /Pumper is top notch but...

from Akron, NY

Comments about Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker:

This Proctor Silex Popcorn maker is great for popping up fresh popcorn. It only takes about 5 minutes, or less. You pour in the kernels, plug in the machine, and it starts to heat up. Next thing you know popcorn kernel torpedos are flying at your face. Even though there is a sheild to kind of guide the popcorn out, be careful, because as with most popcorn makers, some stray corn will come flying out and smack you in the face.

Also you need a big bowl, and you have to keep turning the bowl to catch the popcorn so it doesn't overflow, and so it doesn't miss the bowl and hit the floor.

The popcorn tastes great. I prefer this to microwave popcorn. It's fresh and fluffy and you can use butter, salt, or other toppings to taste.

The popcorn maker can get popcorny/toppingy staining on the outside, and you have to clean it off. If you wait too long, it's harder and you have to scrub it off. The inside of the machine is awkward to get to for cleaning, but not horrible.

Overall, this is a reliable popcorn machine. It's still loud as heck, but it makes yummy popcorn, fast!

from North Tonawanda, NY

Comments about Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker:

I was considering buying an air-popped popcorn maker, so I tried a friend's Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker. I'm glad I did, because I won't be purchasing one.

In theory, popcorn that's air-popped is the most healthy option. Plus, it's much cheaper to make popcorn this way rather than buying the microwave bags. In reality, however, air-popped popcorn, to me, tastes like cardboard.

You can add melted butter - there's a compartment on top that uses the heat from the popper to melt the butter, but that defeats the no-fat benefit. And when you add the melted butter, you have to add it after the corn is popped. I tried to mix it around evenly, but it always turned out that some kernels were soaked and greasy, while others had no butter at all.

Recommended only if you like the taste of air-popped corn. And uneven butter topping.

Great popcorn, pain to store and clean

from Irmo, SC

Comments about Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker:

I am writing this review even though I decided to give this popcorn popper away. If you are thinking about investing in one, I do think this model is a good one. I decided it just took up too much space in my small kitchen to be worth keeping. I also thougth cleaning it was a bit of a pain since the bottom is electric. It pops popcorn quickly and I have never had it burn. It is a bit odd that it doesn't have an on/off switch, but simply plugs in to turn on. Since I gave it away, I have been popping popcorn on the stove in a large pot. It tastes better this way, in my opinion, but it does have oil which makes it higher in calories. I think this is a great appliance if you are set on buying a separate popcorn popper. Microwave popcorn has tons of unhealthy ingredients, not to mention that the health implications of microwave cooking are hazy, at best. I prefer the convenience of stove popping to either, but I do recommend this Proctor Silex Popcorn Popper for quick and easy, healthy popcorn.

Not enough power

from 1007

Comments about Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker:

I purchased this popper over a year ago. I am very disappointed. It is not powerful enough.

When you add the popcorn the air is not as forceful as it needs to be. This causes the popcorn to burn and stay in the well. I also not happy that it does not have a on and off switch. You have to plug and unplug the unit.

save your money

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Proctor Silex Popcorn Maker:

I've tried several popcorn makers and this one, by far is the worst ever. Most of the kernels pop right out of the popper so that less than 50% is really done.

The other problem is that it overheats rapidly. If you collect all the unpopped kernels and try to repop it, the unit shuts down. You have to wait for it to coola nd then try again.