Other Popcorn Poppers:

Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper

Pros

Cons

NORDIC WARE MICROWAVE POPCORN BETTER THAN BAGS

WE LOVE OUR NORDIC WARE MICROWAVE POPCORN BOWL BETTER THAN EXPENSIVE PRE-BAGGED POPCORN. WE ARE SAVING MONEY NOW BECAUSE WE BUY THE CORN IN BULK AND CAN RE-POP ANY KERNELS THAT DON'T GET POPPED THE FIRST TIME AROUND. I NEVER KNEW UNPOPPED KERNELS COULD BE RE-POPPED. WE FOLLOWED THE RECOMMENDATIONS AND USED ONE-HALF CUP OF KERNELS (NEXT TIME WE USED ONE-THIRD CUP FOR THE TWO OF US). WE USED ABOUT A TABLESPOON OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL AND KOSHER SALT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BOWL. WE HIT THE MICROWAVE POPCORN BUTTON AND ADD 30 SECONDS. THE BOWL ROCKS AND WE THINK IT'S BY DESIGN TO KEEP THE LID FROM GETTING PUSHED OFF BY THE POPPING CORN. IN ANY EVENT, WE LOVE THE BOWL ROCKING AND ALL. IT POPS GREAT, CLEANS EASILY, STORES WITH OTHER BOWLS JUST FINE ALTHOUGH WE KEEP OURS IN A SPECIAL PLACE TO ACCESS EASILY BECAUSE WE USE IT SO MUCH. WE SPRAY "SMART BALANCE" BUTTER SPRAY FOR EXTRA FLAVOR. BOWL GETS HOT IN THE MICROWAVE JUST LIKE THE POPCORN BAGS DO SO I USE TWO POT HOLDERS TO REMOVE FROM MICROWAVE. THE LID LIFTS EASILY AND WE POUR THE FLUFFY POPCORN IN TWO SEPARATE BOWLS FOR EATING. THEN WE RE-POP THE UNPOPPED KERNELS AGAIN. WHAT A SAVINGS. THERE ARE NO EXTRA POPPING PAPER PANELS TO PURCHASE, NO EXPENSIVE AIR POPPERS TO STORE, BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW THE BOWL CAN BE USED FOR ANYTHING BUT POPPING CORN BECAUSE IT HAS A ROCKING BASE (OR MAYBE THAT'S WHY IT WAS ON SALE?). IN ANY CASE, IT IS WONDERFUL TO USE.

Not all of the kernels pop the first time but what does get popped is very light and fluffy. After we finish a popped bowl, we take the un-popped kernels and re-pop them again. We give the few re-popped kernels to our hens for a treat!

Settings/Features
We use the popcorn button on the microwave and add 30 seconds for 1/3 cup of kernels in the Nordic Ware popcorn bowl.

Soapy warm water to clean both the bowl and the lid and air dry in the dish drainer. If we didn't use oil in the Nordic Ware bowl, I wouldn't hand wash it but put it in the dishwasher top basket. But since we use oil, I give it two hand washes with dishsoap -- both bowl and lid -- to thoroughly get the oil film cleaned off.

Next to using pre-bagged popcorn, this is the easiest best-tasting economical popcorn snack to make at home.

We use our Nordic Ware popcorn bowl 4 or 5 times a week. After a year, the lid has begun to sag and doesn't fit the top properly any more. So, we awled 9 holes around the top of the lid and invert it on top of the bowl (Right-side-up the lid has air vents cut out on the sides, but upside-down the air vents are covered up so we drilled/awled holes in the lid to create steam vents) and now we can still use the sagging lid but upside-down and now it fits the bowl again. We thought we would have to throw out the bowl because of the warped lid, but by inverting it on top of the bowl, we are still getting further use out of the set. As back-up for future use, we bought two more Nordic Ware popcorn bowls for when the first one finally dies. By chance, the first Nordic Ware bowl had a rocky base which we found to be a manufacturing flaw but it hasn't affected the quality of its use.

Nordicware Microwave Popcorn Popper-A Good Investment

I recently discovered the Nordicware Microwave Popcorn Popper at the local Target.  It was sitting on a shelf in the Kitchenwares section, wrapped in a label showing it filled with pretzels.  Who could resist such an unusual marketing ploy as pretzels in a popcorn popper?  Turns out the picture is supposed to show you how versatile the bowl is.  Like someone couldn't figure that out without photographic instructions?

Foolish label aside, this is a great product if you love popcorn and hate the expensive and environmental waste generated by all the boxes of plastic-wrapped bags of microwave popcorn.  This bowl is made of a smooth, solid plastic similar to the Melamine of the 1960s.  It has a vented plastic lid and holds about 1/3 a cup of unpopped kernels of generic popcorn.  They recommend using less if you're popping Orville Reddenbacher's but I didn't notice much difference when I accidentally popped the recommended amout using Orville's brand.

All in all, this is a quick (about 2.5 minutes) way to a nice fiber-filled snack without all the extra chemicals.  Yum!

This is a quick, clean and easy to use Popcorn Popper

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

I love this product. I rated it as a "9" because the bowl does stain a bit.

It does leave some unpopped kernels. They can, however be placed back in the microwave oven and for a 2nd chance!

Settings/Features
There is no bulky appliance to store or leave on your countertops. Bowl can be used to hold other snacks such as chips and pretzels.

It cleans with just a quick swish of dish detergent. After using this bowl for over a year on a very regular basis, the bowl does have some minor staining, but otherwise no problems.

I just use 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels, then place the lid on top and put in the microwave for about 2 to 2-1/4 minutes. I generally let the bowl cool and make a 2nd batch. When we are ready to eat the popcorn, I fill individual bowls and place in the microwave for about 30-35 seconds. This way, we can use whatever toppings we each prefer and I do not have to make the popcorn every time. My main caveat is the bowl gets extremely hot, so potholders are definitely necessary.

Our bowl has over a year of very regular usage and is still going strong. For the small price, I would surely replace if and when my bowl fails.

Microwave Popcorn Bowl

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

I absolutely could not live without the Nordic Ware 60120 Microwave Popcorn Popper! My grandparents used to use this and I inherited theirs when they passed on. I make popcorn atleast 4 times a week and would never consider using bagged microwave popcorn. You get such a better taste with popping your own kernels in this bowl. I start with a little oil, add a handful of kernels, and pop it into the microwave for 2.5-3 minutes. I melt a small bowl of butter to pour over the top and add a little popcorn salt and its like heaven! I just throw the bowl and lid into the dishwasher and it as easy as that. I have had mine for 9 years and before I got it my grandparents had it for multiple years. It is still in great usable shape, has some discoloration on the bottom but that's it. Much easier then an electric popcorn popper in every way. I wouldn't trade this bowl for anything and its so easy to use! Highly recommended.

• Settings/Features:

Nordic Ware 60120 Microwave Popcorn is Great!

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

Popcorn is one of the snack foods that my children loves to eat. Before, I bought lots of bags of popcorn for them. But I cannot just avoid worrying of the kind ingredients or preservatives added to the ready to eat popcorn I bought from the store. So I decided to buy a popcorn popper so that I can prepare freshly cooked popcorn for my kids. I bought this Nordic Ware 60120 Microwave Popcorn. At first, I found it so funny because it took like 4 trials to perfectly pop the popcorn. I had to try 4 times for the time setting at my microwave. At last I got it. Now, my children are enjoying the freshly cooked popcorn without worrying of the preservatives or ingredients that may harm their health. And of course it's not just my children who loves to eat popcorn this time, I and my husband love to eat too. What is also good is that, I can try a lot of flavors that I like. In adding flavors, I have to wait until the bowl is not too hot.

To those who wanted to try using this Nordic Ware 60120 Microwave Popcorn, don't be discouraged when at first you had a bad result of the popcorn that you cook. It's actually normal because the heating capacity of microwave ovens are different. Though there is an instruction/guide inserted when you buy the bowl, maybe you can also experience same as I did.

• Settings/Features:

It scores a big POP every time!

from Groveland, MA

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

It makes great tasting popcorn every time. I have never been disappointed by what its "deliverable." It delivers scrumptious popcorn pop after pop. It may be a little more expensive than other models but it produces the best results bar none! Well worth the investment.

I have had my Nordic Ware for a while and it still great. I have never had any issues with it, unlike a few others that sometimes burned the popcorn.

Settings/Features
Doesn't have a lot of features but those settings that it does have work perfectly fine, as they should.

It is so easy to clean. Just simply rinse in some water with soap and sponge it off. There is never any hardcore rubbing or elbow grease needed.

It is so easy to use. Obviously it is very self explanatory.

It is the most durable popcorn popper I have ever owned. It withstands being bounced around and dropped in the sink and on the floor (courtesy of my 6-year old).

• Settings/Features:

Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper Makes Great Popcorn!

from Maryville, TN

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

If you want good microwave popcorn, I highly recommend the Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper! I really like this particular popcorn popper because it makes the best light and fluffy popcorn without oil. You can use oil if you like; however, it is not necessary. That is the great feature about this popcorn popper. It doesn't require anything except the popcorn and any seasonings you may want to add. Some popcorn poppers require other gadgets and stuff you have to buy periodically. Not this one! One thing you need to keep in mind about this popcorn popper is I suggest you experiment on how long it takes to pop the perfect corn. All microwaves have different wattage so be careful because you can burn your popcorn if you leave it in the microwave too long. One you establish the length of time it takes to pop your popcorn in your particular microwave, I believe you will love this popcorn popper as much as I do!

• Settings/Features:

Perfect Popcorn Popper for the Frugal Mom!

from Orange County, Ca

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

I love this Nordic Ware popcorn Popper because it's inexpensive and is unbreakable. I love the design of the popper, solid white so you can see the popcorn pop in the microwave. I buy my popcorn in bulk at the grocery store. I don't like the microwave popcorn bags because they burn and leave a gross residue on your counter top. Also, it can fill up the landfills. Nordic Ware is environmentally friendly as you don't have bags to throw away. Also, the popcorn bags come with butter inside, which can be a pain to clean your hands from touching the butter. I like to add my own butter or other seasonings to my popcorn. The kids prefer nothing added, which is another reason why I purchased this style..

Easy peasy....add the kernels, set the microwave at about 3 to 4 minutes and you have fluffy popcorn.

Settings/Features
Just add the popcorn and lid, no additional features.

I wash it with a rag and mild detergent, not complicated!

• Settings/Features:

No muss, no fuss and inexpensive

from Bethlehem, GA

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

How can you not like something that's so easy to use to make a healthy snack and save you money at the same time?

I have yet made a bad batch of popcorn using this. Simple to make hot, fresh popcorn with or without oil/butter.

Settings/Features
Hey, this thing is simple. It's a bowl with a special vented lid. No settings, no features. While some people may want something with spinners in the bottom or some type settings... I don't need that. Just give me something that gives me crisp well popped corn and I am good to go.

Warm water and soap is all that's needed to clean. It's also dishwasher safe so you can also just pop it in the dishwasher.

If you want oil and seasonings on your popcorn you pour it in the bottom of the popper, pour your popcorn in, put the lid on and stick it in the microwave. That's it. If you don't want to use oil, this popper pops corn just as well without it. The bowl itself can get a little hot to the touch but then so does a microwave bag of popcorn. The kids know this so I have no problem with them using this.

I have used the popper on and off for the last year and is still looks like it did the first day I purchased it.

• Settings/Features:

Better than those microwaveable bags by far!

from Maricopa, AZ

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

You always hear about all the harmful things found in those popular microwave popcorn bags. Plus, they can get to be really expensive if you use them frequently. A friend told me about this popcorn bowl and I had to give it a try. It works great! Just throw a handful of kernels in the bottom, microwave for a few minutes, and you have fresh, fluffy popcorn. It's just as easy as the microwaveable bags, but without all the added chemicals and expense. I love that this way I can choose my own toppings or use real butter if so desired.

I believe the instructions say hand wash only, but I've been throwing it in the top rack of my dishwasher with no ill effects.

• Settings/Features:

Great simple way to make low-fat popcorn

from Mascoutah, IL

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

I bought this to be able to use in my microwave for fast popping. I usually add a little bit of olive oil first and then pop the corn. However, no oil is needed if you really want a light snack.

I am still learning how to adjust the time to pop the corn the best. This takes a little trial and error depending on your microwave. It works well, though.

Settings/Features
The lid isn't a secure lid, but it gets the job done.

The bowl cleans up very well. Nice and easy.

If you want a simple popcorn popper, this is it. Can't get any easier than this. The instructions also suggest using it for dips and side dishes as well, but I prefer to keep it for popcorn.

Seems durable enough. I have only used it a couple of times so far.

• Settings/Features:

Easy air-popped popcorn maker without oil or chemicals

Comments about Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper:

This popcorn maker is very handy. You can buy the old fashioned bags of kernels and make scrumptious air-popped popcorn without having to store a giant electric machine.

I find there are very few unpopped kernels when using this device. Most of the kernels pop and rarely do I get scorched corn.

Settings/Features
There aren't any real features or settings on this popcorn maker. You simply put some corn kernels in it and then put it in the microwave. You have to watch it though. Just like the bags of popcorn, it will still scorch if you leave it in the microwave too long.

Just throw this in the dishwasher (along with the lid) and you are good to go.

I have had this for several years. I had another one that I used at the office and it became unusable because I lost the top.