Other Popcorn Poppers:
PC17583

Pros

Cons

Absolutely love the Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker

Living at home growing up, my parents used an old pot on the stove to make popcorn. So I went ahead and purchased a stove-top Whirly Pop when I had my own home and family as it was similar to the old pot on the stove. I also have the healthier alternative, hot air popper.

Then I saw this posted on a deal website for such a good price that I couldn't resist buying it. All the posters also had nothing but raves for this unit. Why not have yet another small gadget kitchen appliance? Was I ever thrilled that I did indulge. This is by far the most fun and easy unit I have used. Not to mention there are many people out there who have recipes for Kettle-corn etc to make with this popper. There is a whole community out there that loves this popper. The model we have is actually PC17589 and makes 6 quarts of popcorn. This is sufficient for our movie marathons. This versatile unit is great in that the unit can be stored inside the lid which also doubles as a bowl. We however have the designated, honorary popcorn bowl that we use. It is a breeze to clean. The manual also contains recipes which I have as yet to try. I am having too much fun just making regular popcorn. I can see where this is something families have traditionally used for generations.

Didn't like it much

I know a lot of people seem to like this unit but it didn't work for me and I returned it. I tried several ways, pre-heated, from cool less oil, more oil, fresher popcorn... but it never fully popped the corn plus it is a mess to clean up. If you use the built in butter lid it burns before the corn is done. My friend has a 20 year old West bend Stir Crazy and it works great. I tried TWO of the new (2010) Stir Crazy poppers and found that they lack the power to properly pop corn. The kernels burned and very few popped. The more expensive Kettle Crazy model gets hot, though still not as hot as my friend's old Stir Crazy. I recently made the stupid mistake of submerging the base when washing it,I ruined the mechanics. Bye Bye Stir Crazy. It's all for the better I suppose as I was not happy with my Stir Crazy Popper and now I can go out and purchase an air popper without guilt of wasting money.

Great Popper

from Clarksville, Tn

Pros

• Easy to Clean
  • Easy to Use
  • Pops All Kernels

Cons

• Is a little big

• Healthy Popcorn
  • Movie Nights

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

I really love this popper. It is a healthy tasty alternative to microwave popcorn. Only takes a little longer to use. Easy to clean and no burnt popcorn.

Buy it!

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

I have had my Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker for about seven years now, and I still love it just as much as I did the day I bought it. This popcorn maker is very easy to clean and very durable. Our whole family can eat popcorn all day long so it is great that it pops the corn in around four minutes. I love that it has a butter well on top. You can butter your popcorn while you pop it! It is easy enough to operate that my ten year old can operate it and does all the time. She cannot seem to get enough of it! I cannot express how much I would recommend this popcorn maker! Seven years later and it is still as good as it was when we got it. We use it all the time, so it is obviously durable. The popcorn tastes great too! Before I bought the Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker, I was burning popcorn more often than not. Now, the Stir Crazy has become my best friend. It is great for movie nights and parties. You should get one!

• Settings/Features:

Great popcorn, quick and easy, and better for me!

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

I have never bought myself an electric popcorn maker, never thought I needed one. I grew up popping pop corn in a pot on the stove, then transitioned to the microwave popcorn packs because they were convenient.

Last year for my birthday I received this Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker from my sister. She had bought one for herself and said that she knew I would love it. Bless her heart, she was right, I do love it.

This popper is so easy to use, simply put the popcorn seeds into the base and then add oil (not necessary if you prefer healthier popcorn) and then put the cover on. Plug it in and sit back for 4-6 minutes till the popping stops and then flip the popper over making the cover a bowl. Remove the base and it's done!

I like that I can now use a variety of types and brands of popcorn. I have experimented with a few types and enjoy mixing white with yellow for a combination bowl.

I believe anyone who enjoys popcorn would find this popper a must have for preparing fresh popcorn quick and easy for less money than those microwave packs!

Settings/Features
There are no settings for this popper.

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

I love to make popcorn at home and I had an air popper for many years. It broke a few years back and I didn't replace it for awhile, instead just eating microwave popcorn. I started to do a lot of reading and realized that microwave popcorn was not very good for me, and I was also tired of the chemical taste that it had. I looked at a bunch of different poppers and I really liked the look of this one so I bough it for myself. I was pretty excited to once again have some nice air popped popcorn. I was a little disappointed with it, the popcorn was okay, but it had a tendency to burn some of it, which I really don't like. I also found this popcorn popper very hard to clean.

Some popcorn ended up burnt.

Settings/Features
This popper is pretty basic and easy to use.

Not very easy to get entirely clean after you pop the popcorn.

Very easy to use.

I've had this for quite some time but I don't really use it that often.

Great popcorn

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

I don't do microwave popcorn, and I don't do the air-popped popcorn. Before I bought this, I just put a pan on the stove added a little oil, and popped it that way. There was really nothing wrong with that method, but my husband bought me this, because he felt my method was a bit ancient. He still hasn't gotten over that I don't throw butter on my popcorn.

This little unit heats up quick, and pops the kernels quickly, without burning them while it finishes popping. Something that is lacking in my stove top method.

Settings/Features
Not much in the settings. On or Off. That is all that is needed.

Just wipe down the base unit, and wash the bowl with the regular dishes. It is really that easy.

Very easy to use. Just put the popcorn in the center depression, Add some oil, put the bowl on it, and turn it on. You will get great popcorn.

I worry that the bowl will crack before the unit is ready for its end of life. Not sure if I can buy a replacement bowl.

from USA, Indiana

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker is a must have for popcorn lovers. Whenever I watch movies at home I love to enjoy a bowl of popcorn. This popcorn maker is very easy to use and is virtually hassle free clean up.

Whenever I use this popcorn maker I use only 1 1/2 tbsp. - 2 tbsp. of oil and not the recommened amount of 3 tbsp. of oil. Instead of putting butter on the top of the lid I mix the butter in with the oil. The butter cause too much moisture if placed on top of the lid and makes the popcorn soggy.

This popcorn maker is easy to store. I store my popcorn maker underneath my kitchen cabinet.

I use this popcorn on a regular basis and have had great results. I would recommend this product to anyone who like popcorn.

Awesome

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

This product is something that I was hesitating to use because I have used other one before and I had them and the product was not that great boy was I wrong this is the best popper I have ever had and will never exchange for any thing else.

this is the best quality I have use what is say it more then better than you would think it does. the performance is fast and quality. I would recommend this definitely.

Settings/Features
Easy to use and not hard to understand

Just wipe it out and easy to clean up after use. I could not believe how you could clean this product thinking it would have some thing sticking and difficult to come out after use no way easy as possible. I also like the ideal it never burns so awesome.

Direction are as easy as it says, I have trouble following direction almost on every thing I think it is old age but I can not believe how easy it was to use, If I can do it any body can.

awesome

• Settings/Features:

Starting a new generation on family memories!

from Ocala, FL

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

A couple months ago I was shopping with my mother in law and saw the Crazy Stir Popcorn Maker. I told her how we used to pop our own popcorn growing up and how it tasted SO much better than the kind that comes in the microwave bags. Imagine my delight when I opened one as a gift on Christmas! First thing I did when we got home was open it up and use it. Being able to watch the corn kernels pop amazed my kids since they have only been exposed to bag popcorn in the past. I did notice that the maker got a little hot which means the kids can't use it without supervision. It is so nice to be able to chose your own popcorn kernels and it is a lot cheaper than bagged popcorn! If you want butter or toppings you just add it yourself. I also liked that the lid can be used as a popcorn bowl. It is pretty easy to clean when done as well making this a win win buy!

• Settings/Features:

Good for company, not practical for everyday use

from Tooele, UT

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

The Stir Crazy Corn Popper is great fun for parties. People who have never seen it before are very impressed. It's also good for making popcorn in quantity. However, we rarely use it because we rarely entertain. Maybe when our kids are a old enough to be impressed, we'll use it more often, but as for right now, it just takes an awful lot of shelf space most days of the year. Here's why:

1. For a single serving of popcorn, it requires quite a bit of assembly and clean up is not necessarily a breeze. It's just not practical for everyday use.
2. While it can be healthier than microwave because you can control the amount of butter and salt you add, it can also be less healthy because I found that the oil you use to pop it makes it taste funny unless you drench it in butter and salt.
3. I've found that if you're making a big batch of popcorn, the bottom ones burn just as easily as they do in the microwave, leaving the same burnt popcorn smell in your house.

It is really fun for gatherings though, and I'm glad I have it about once a year.

Best Popcorn Maker!

from Florence, SC

Comments about Back to Basics Stir Crazy Popcorn Maker:

The Crazy Stir Popcorn Maker is the best there is.  Our family is VERY FUSSY about our popcorn and we will only make it in the Crazy Stir Popcorn Maker. We have used it for 20 years and this is only our second one, the first one just got too old so my husband brought it to work so that they could make popcorn there and we got a new one. It is easy to make and we love it.

We put the popcorn kernals (we prefer Orville Redinbacher) in first followed by some oil - does not need much.  When the kernals stop popping invert into the top.  We then slip it into a clean brown grocery bag and add salt, fold down the top of the bag and then shake.  When the children were little there was always someone ready, willing and able to do the shaking.  Some people ad melted butter or other spices, but we are all thrilled with just salt and it is healthier for you.  The oil also gets absorbed by the brown bag making this a healthier snack for all too.

Our children are grown and still ask for Dad to make popcorn when they visit. It is a family tradition which we all enjooy taking part in.