Other Baby Monitors:

Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology

Pros

Cons

Great Product

My Husband and I just got this monitor for our first child, and we absolutely love it! We live on the 3rd floor of a condo unit, and we decided to test it out to see how it worked the further we got from the base unit. I went out the door into our stairwell and tested it on each landing. The main reason for this is my wife is taking off 3 months, and we want to know if she'll be able to take our dog out to the bathroom if the need should arise. We figured she could take our dog out to a little patch of grass just in front of our condo, then come back in. The monitor worked great! The patch of grass is about 25 feet away from the front door, and we could hear each other crystal clear. I decided to see just how far it would go, so I started to walk our normal "dog walking" route, and was amazed. I got as far as about 200 feet away from our nursery, and could still hear perfectly. Not only was I 200 feet away, I was on the opposite side of our condo unit. I continued to walk, and got about another 50 feet before we started to hit static. I continued on after circling back towards our building, the reception came back. So, on what is normally a 5-10 minute walk in which our dog is able to do all of her business, we would both be comfortable taking her for a walk while our son is in the nursery. We could hear each other just fine, but now we know how far to go if we do have to take our dog out.The reception inside the condo is great. I've read complaints about sensitivity and volume concerns, but I don't agree. If you're sleeping at night, the parent unit is going to be right next to the bed. Unless you've got noise issues in your condo, you should be able to hear the baby's unit just fine. The DECT technology eliminates interference from other digital devices, so you won't have to worry about hearing anyone else's conversations. My verdict: if you live in a multi-floor house, this unit will work for you. If you plan on getting the mail or taking you dog out for a quick bathroom break, and you want to take the parent monitor with you, this monitor will work for you. If you rent out your bedroom or nursery to a punk rock band, and they rehearse while you sleep at night, you may have issues hearing the monitor. Otherwise, I would recommend this monitor whole-heartedly to anyone!

Neat features, but quiet parent receiver.

This baby monitor has some very neat features which include:

-a long range.  We tested this and were able to go much further away from the monitor than with other,...Read complete review

This baby monitor has some very neat features which include:

-a long range.  We tested this and were able to go much further away from the monitor than with other, older baby monitors.

-DECT techonology.  The reason we bought this was that we were getting a lot of static interference with our old monitor whenever our phones rang or our air/heating unit turned on.  There was never any static with this model and we have it right by our wireless router.

-Temperature readout on the parent unit.  This worked decent.  The temperature started out about right, but as the monitor would heat up the temperature would go up and be about 3-5 degrees hotter than the room itself.

-The monitor base unit has the ability to be a soft (but pretty bright) night light and also plays a sequence of lullabies.  Both of these functions turn on and off from the base unit.

-Talk back function-This was my favorite feature!  The parent unit can be used as a walkie-talkie with the base unit.  This proved very helpful in calming down a crying child, talking to the other parent to ask them to bring diapers down, etc.

The biggest con to me was that the parent unit didn't turn up nearly loud enough.  I like to be able to hear the monitor from another floor.  This is not possible with this model.  However, it does have lights on it that are very sensitive to sound.

After months of research this is the monitor we choose.

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

My husband researched every monitors out on the market before our baby was born. We were impressed with the promises of no interference and no static. This monitor did not let us down in regards to those promises.

Sound/Video Clarity
Probably the thing I love the most about this is the lack of static my sisters-in-laws baby monitor is always on (lots of static). Anytime I visit her it drive me nuts. This monitor is quite unless noise is being made from the other end.

Interference
We have experienced no interference from any other devices, this was the main reason we purchased this unit.

This is where I am really disappointed. I was hoping to use this for my next baby but after 3 years the parent unit has lost its mind. It no longer turns off when you ask it to, you have to take out the battery if you want it off. It does not hold a charge well so it basically has to stay plugged in the whole day. Now I know 3 years is a long time but I feel like it should have lasted longer.

Portability
The parent unit is easy enough to carry around. This only thing I am not crazy about is that the clip that holds is on is not the best, it falls off very easily.

Interference Free Baby Monitor

from Carmel, IN

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

We purchased this baby monitor because our first set (Graco Angelcare Deluxe), had aged and became prone to terrible interference in our new home. Seeing that this was a DECT monitor, we decided to give it a try and overall we're very happy we did because we finally have peace and quiet (well, with the monitor...not when our child cries at night). There is no background noise heard when using this monitor, and you have a sensitivity setting to allow you to set it on high to hear the quietest of noises from your child's bedroom, or on low so you only hear when they really need you. I have very few complaints with this monitor. One is that there is only one parent handset. I had gotten accustomed to having two parents units, so it's taken some getting used to with only one. And unless I'm wrong, it doesn't seem you can purchase a second unless you buy another full set. It would be nice to have the option. Also, I haven't found the battery life to be that great. Not sure if this is every unit or just mine, but I wish it held a charge longer. Otherwise, we've been very happy with our purchase!

Good Sound plus Temperature

from Stockton, CA

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

The radio range on the monitor is strong in our house. The baby’s room is about thirty feet away, on the same floor, and I can clearly hear the activity in her room. I also like the temperature feature, which is a nice reassuring touch. I have had other monitors that would cut in and out and have as much static as what I was trying to hear, so this is one I think I’ll keep.

Sound/Video Clarity
The static is nonexistent at a range of thirty feet, which is our setup. The speaker on the base unit delivers good sound.

Interference
At least in our electronics-heavy house the interference has been minimal. The only thing that impedes a good transmission is the blender in the kitchen, for some reason.

The system seems well-constructed and I would be surprised if I had to replace before my daughter is old enough to sleep unsupervised.

Portability
These are small, lightweight units. It would be unusual to have to relocate them, however.

No more static - ever.

from Jupiter, FL

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

After our first baby monitor broke, I started researching different baby monitor units. After much research I decided to give the Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology. I was excited that people were stating that there was no static with the unit. Another thing that people liked about it was that you did not have to channel surf trying to find the best frequency.

I received the unit from a top online reseller. Got a good price that was below retail. It was pretty straight forward on how to use both units. Set it up in a couple of minutes and it was ready for nap time. I turned it on and the first thing that I noticed was that the volume was a little on the low side. I messed around with the sensitivity and volume controls trying to make it louder. It was set at the max and it was still a bit lower than what I prefer. The sound quality was great. There was no delay on the sound coming from the mommy unit, which was a problem with our previous unit. I was then walking around my house waiting to get static, but it never happened. To this day we have yet to get static on the mommy unit. We were also happy that it had battery back up for when the power fails. Another big plus for worried parents. The only gripe I have is the low volume on the mommy unit.

Other than that it has been reliable and static free. I would recommend to anyone looking for a baby monitor. it was worth the money and would buy again. So glad to finally have a quality baby monitor.

blue lights that brighten as the sound increases

from Antelope, CA

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

This monitor misses noises and I worry that it won't pick up my son's sounds in the middle of the night even after having set the sensitivity up to the max and the volume on the parent unit up to the max. Both of the units randomly lose power. I lived in a decent sized house and need a monitor to hear my child crying or even to scold him because he is up playing when he should be sleeping. It is VERY nice to have the feature of talking to my son through the monitor and telling him that he needs to settle down and go to sleep!

I do like that this monitor is Interference free. I have wireless internet and have noticed no interefence at all. I also like the that AA batteries can be installed on the baby monitor in the event power is lost.  Overall my thoughts are I would not buy again and I intend to buy a cheaper monitor and hopefully I can resell this monitor to recoup some of the money I paid.

such clear

from Prairie Village, KS

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

After trying several monitors with my daughter when I became pregnant with my son I did alot of research on what monitor would be best. The monitors I had previous used there was alway static after doing some research came across this dect technology that doesnt have interference one of the biggest problems that I had was the static its hard to keep it with the static.  So I discovered this one which had a few features I liked aswell that it was portable and rechargeable but it was also convient.  The only this was that it was a little pricey for a monitor I waited until I found a good sale on one.  I couldnt be happier I could actually keep it on all nih also could turn down volume and it shows noiseswith the lights and temperaturein the room so you dont have to worry about the baby being too cool or too hot.  It was very much worth the money. The feautures are great and th microphone worked so well some monitors arent loud enough this one you definitely have no problem hearing the baby,

Avent Basic Baby Monitor is streamlined for simplicity.

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

Easy to setup and easy to use, the Phillips Avent Baby Monitor is crisp, clear, and streamlined for simplicity. It does the job without being in the way or making extra work, and it's well made and reliable. You don't have to go double check if that "static" is the baby or the neighbors tv.

The Avent Baby Monitor is our favorite non-video monitor because it works despite a house full of electronics and a crowded community - it's quiet and simply, allowing us to hear the little one and nothing else. The only negative is the brightness of the LEDs, which is easily fixed by turning the device to a corner or setting it under or behind something (we put it behind our pc monitor screen).

Overall this is a great item, and if you can't hear your baby or toddler from elsewhere in the house, this will save you many trips tip-toeing into the nursery to check! I imagine this item will have a decent resale value or will be used through multiple children, as it is well made and cleanly designed. Enjoy your peace and quiet!

Love this monitor

from Canton, OH

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

I love this monitor!! We bought it with our second child and a new home.  It works great and has a very large range.  We even took it camping and it worked very well at quite a distance!  I would definitely reccomend this to anyone looking for a new monitor!

I feel like I am right there in the room with my baby

from Dallas, GA

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

This monitor was the Highest quality and a crystal clear sound that no other monitor has. There are even LEDs lights on the remote to signal the noises highs and lows. It even comes with the added bonus of vibrating sounds alerts just like cell phones have. Of course the sound is adjustable. I love the fact that if the batteries are love, it lets you know, and if you go out of range it will alert me at once. I never have to worry about carring it too far and losing signal. It has a simple clip that I use when I need to walk around, and my husband uses the neck cord so his hands are completely free and he doesn't have to worry about knocking it off his belt. It gets even better, the battery will last 24hours before you need to recharge it. It has three things that no other baby monitor has. It monitors the climate in the room, hot or cold even humidity. There are 5 sweet and peaceful tunes that it will play.

My very favorite feature is the talk-back. When my little one is upset, I can simply sing to her without ever opening the door and turning on the light. She hears my voice and instantly calms down, and within minutes she is back asleep.

I really do recomend this monitor above anything else out there.

You get what you pay for with this product sound quality no good

from Lamesa, TX

Comments about Philips Avent Basic Baby Monitor with DECT Technology:

This product is okay.  It gets the job done but, the sound quality is not so great.  You sometimes wonder if you actually heard something other than just static.  That feeling can be a little unsettling so I find my self frequenting the other room more often than I out to.  So if your not bothered by wasting your time a little night and day I guess this would be a suffecient product since you can hear a child who is obviously upset.  You may have a little trouble knowing if they are awake but calm though.  I wouldn't recommend this for a first time parent due to the fact that you will already be a little on the paranoid side as it is which is totally understandable.  There are far better product on the market but, if budget is an issue this will much more than surfice until you are able to get something better.  Take my word for it though if you are able to buy something else do it because if not you will only replace this one in time.