4.1

4.1

Pros

Cons

The First Years baby monitor gets the job done

The First Years Baby Monitor is an affordable option for a standard baby monitor. The price really drew me to this specific brand and model. The First Years Baby Monitor doesn't offer the latest technology, but includes two receivers that are helpful in hearing the baby all around the house.

The First Years Baby Monitor does not have great reception; it is somewhat fuzzy. The monitor gets a lot of interference. Also the static through the receivers is irritating when trying to sleep with them in the same room.

When listening for a newborn, the volume on the First Years Baby Monitor must be turned up all the way to hear baby clearly. However, if listening for an older baby or toddler, the sound quality is sufficient.

The long distance range is pretty good, I can travel 2 houses down the street and get decent reception. The belt clip is helpful for toting the monitor hands free around the house or outside.

The monitor have taken beating at our house and still work...pretty durable!

Works very well; while it works

I received one of these baby moniters as a gift for my baby shower. I loved them at first. They do pick up the smallest sound and help a lot; however, recently one of my moniters just stopped working. It might turn on for a couple of seconds once in a blue moon, but now I'm only limited to the one other moniter (it comes with two hand held moniters). And it's not like I even had it very long, only one and a half months. It also says it goes for 600 ft., but if the battery isn't FULLY charged, like brand new, it won't go that far.

Good Value for The First Years Baby Monitor!

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

I purchased The First Years Baby Monitor that has the dual receivers and it's been good to us and has worked great. It has good sound quality and range that is big enough but not so big that we will have the neighbors spying on us. I really appreciate having the dual baby receivers. We keep one of the receivers in the living room that is stationary and the second receiver is one that moves around with us as needed. If I need to be outside, it goes outside with me or if I'm down in the basement it will go with me. That way in case I lose it or misplace it I always know where the other one is. The only issue I have with this item is the batteries tend to drain quickly in the receivers. It doesn't matter if I buy the expensive batteries or the cheap ones, that never last as long as they should. It's as if the receiver is using the battery charge even while it's off.

Sound/Video Clarity
The sound quality is really strong. You can clearly hear the baby when he's awake and just playing because he doesn't always wake up and cry, sometimes he starts playing and I don't know what kind of trouble he can get himself into and so I like to grab him out as soon as he wakes up so it's helpful to have a crisp clear receiver so I can hear what is going on at all times when he's in his crib.

Interference
I never have any issues with interference. I do live out in the country and I don't have a lot around me that would cause any interference.

I've had my units for a few years and a couple of kids and they work great. The only issue is they use up batteries quickly.

Portability
They are easy to transport and move around. I can clip it on my belt if I'm cleaning or working in the garage or outside. The range is great and I don't feel comfortable going very far so they cover a range bigger than I am willing to go.

It works. Nothing fancy

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

The First Years Dual Receiver baby monitor is a basic monitor. I like it and do not see the need to have a fancy monitor because they all do the same function.

Sound/Video Clarity
I keep the home base part of the unit in my daughter's room approximately 6-7 feet from her crib. Even with the sound turned down very low on the two portable units, I can still hear even her faintest sounds. The units are portable, but the must have batteries installed in order to take them off the adaptor plug.

Interference
I have mixed feelings about this. We keep one unit by the computer where we spend a lot of time. There is also a tv, printer, speakers, and a modem. Basically there are a ton of cords by this receiver. At this location there is no interference. However the unit we keep in the bedroom receives a ton of interference from my electric heating blanket that I keep on my bed.

They seem pretty durable. None of the parts have givin us any trouble, and no parts have ever broken.

Portability
The range is about 300 feet. There is just enough to go outside to the mailbox if needed. I cannot see anyone going any further away from a sleeping child than 300 feet. So basically, 300 feet is a perfectly acceptable range of distance for this monitor.

Great Audio Monitor

Profile Image

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

This monitor was a gift at my baby shower. It came with a base unit and two receivers. There was also a cord to plug in the base unit, and a cord for each of the receivers. The receivers can also be run off of AA batteries but are separate from the power cords. The power cords do not charge the receivers. I did like this option as opposed to a rechargeable battery made specifically for the receiver because those type of special batteries get hard and expensive to replace. I already have rechargeable AA batteries so having the option of plug in power or battery power for portability was very nice. I was very pleased with the monitor in operation. I set up the base unit under my daughter's crib and placed one receiver in my bedroom for night time and one downstairs for the day. The range is very good on these monitors and the sound is clear. The sensitivity of the base unit is also very good. The receivers do have volume control, but I would add the option of being able to turn off the white noise for night time monitoring at the end of the receiver. For the price, I would definitely recommend this receiver to other moms.

Interference
I never experienced any interference from other electronics.

Portability
The receivers are light weight and have little clips that you can use to clip to your belt or pocket.

Terrible

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

I put these on my baby registry and got it at my shower. The first night, they worked fine, but every night that followed they got worse and worse! Now, only a week after I first started using it, I need to go get a new monitor. There's constant loud static, and every couple minutes it makes a loud buzz noise that wakes me up at least twice the last 2 nights. For some reason, the static gets quieter if I hold the reciever.. So I spent the night holding it. I tried both receivers and both stations with no difference. Also, I should add that I live in a small ranch style house and there's no way I'm out of the range. I can only assume that since both receivers have the same problem, that its poorly made and not just a flick in mine. I would not recommend wasting your money on it.

• Portability:

FIRST YEARS BABY MONITOR GREAT!

from Mishawaka, IN

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

I BOUGHT THIS BABY MONITOR SO I COULD USE IT FOR MY MOM WHEN SHE IS LIVING HERE WITH ME SO I COULD HEAR HERE THRU THE NIGHT. I WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE CLARITY THE UNIT HAS AND HOW COMPACT AND EASY TO USE! THERE IS NO HISSING SOUNDS,WHICH I WAS AFFRAID I WOULD HEAR WITH IT BEING ON ALL THE TIME,AND TO NO AVAIL I WAS SURPRISED OF HOW QUIET IT IS. THIS WAS VERY EASY TO HOOK UP AS WELL. JUST TAKE IT OUT OF THE BOX,PLACE IT BY THE PERSON YOU WANT TO HEAR AND THE OTHER RECIEVER IS WHERE YOU ARE AND PLUG IT IN AND PRESTO...YOU HAVE A MONITOR TO HELP YOU OUT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT! I WOULD SUGGEST THIS TO ANYONE THAT NEEDS TO BE IN 2 PLACES AT ONCE. THIS HAS HELPED ME OUT AND MY MOM! THE PRICE WAS UNDER 40 BUCKS AND THERE ARE 2 HAND HELD DEVICES THAT COME IN THE BOX. THE CORD COULD BE A LITTLE LONGER BUT THAT IS THE ONLY FLAW I HAVE FOUND IN THIS UNIT. I DID GET THE WARRANTY ON THIS JUST IN CASE THERE ARE PROBLEMS AND YOU CAN ALWAYS EXPECT SOMETHING TO GO WRONG BUT SO FAR SO GOOD.

Fairly good monitor range is not the best though

from Jeannette, PA

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

Very durable monitor, Mines been drop several times over the last couple of years and it's still working great. I wish it had a longer range but I guess not everything covers longer distance but it is an outstanding one and i have tried many of them before I decided on this one.

The First Years baby monitor gets the job done

from Walnut Ridge, AR

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

The monitor have taken beating at our house and still work...pretty durable!

No need to worry!

from Bradenton, FL

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

Thank goodness for this moniter! With my first child I never used one and now that I am I can't believe I lived without one. Talk about a stress eliminator! I now can't sit comfortably in my livingroom because I can't hear more from this moniter than if I were sitting in the room! I can actually hear my child breathing! I would recommend this to any parent that wishing there ears were in everyroom!

Keep a check on your baby without leaving your bed!

from Medford, MA

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

This baby moniter, makes it easy so you wouldn't have to move out your chair and still keep an eye on your little one.Now this can relax yo alittle more with your new born. Your gonna need more help with your new baby. This prduct is very popular. I recomend it myself. So Relax and enjoy the help of the *baby first year, baby moniter*!

Average product

from Des Moines, IA

Comments about The First Years Dual Receiver 49Mhz Baby Monitor:

I would have to say this is an average product, and not sure I would buy it again.  This monitor was a decent price and a good brand.  It comes with 2 parent monitors and one for the baby.  The parent monitors are portable and light weight.  The sound for the parent ones is great, and the baby monitor picks up sound pretty well, but not the best.  It also comes with 2 plug ins which is nice.

I have had some problems with the parent monitors though.  They can also have a lot of static and the batteries do not seem to last long.  One of the monitors, I could not get batteries to work at all, but that could have been a defect with just that one.  The antennas are also somewhat flimsy, bend too easy, and seem a bit wobbly.   I occasionally have issues with the monitors cutting out.

This is an okay product, cheaper than most other monitors, and work well enough.  But I would spend a little more and get a better monitor in my opinion.