3.8
Pepsi
Pepsi Throwback

Pepsi Throwback

3.8

Dear Pepsi - Keep the Throwback Pepsi and the real sugar.

I had heard the buzz about Pepsi Throwback and even though Pepsi was invented in North Carolina, it took a while for it to get here in the Piedmont of NC. Yesterday, I did see Pepsi Throwback in the 12 pack cans at Food Lion, so I had to get a 12er.

Wow. I had flashbacks. While I can find a few real sugar sodas like Cheerwine in the bottle (I think - real sugar), most soft drinks have the corn syrup for the sweetener. So, it's rare to get a drink that tastes like back in the day when most everyone used sugar to make stuff sweet. And, I do like real sugar like I like real butter (which went out of favor but now on the plate again).

Pepsi Throwback may taste a little odd to those who have always had Pepsi and most other sodas with corn syrup, but old timers (and not so very long back) will appreciate the flavor of another era. And, I think many in the new generation will like the old fashioned taste as well. I know my son did, and he is kind of picky on his soft drinks. Acutally, he is a RC man.

They are marketing Pepsi Throwback as a short term product, but I'm sure that if it sells well that a big company is going to keep making a winner. Would only make sense.

While soft drinks are not healthy by any stretch, most people do love them or have them as a treat now and then at least. I tend to drink water with meals and then have a treat every few days with Pepsi being the one I most often pick. I really like the cola flavor and especially so with real sugar.

If you like colas and/or Pepsi, give Throwback a try. I think you will really like the taste of real sugar in the soft drink. If not, you can always go back to the regular version. If you do like Pepsi Throwback, buy it and let the company know it is a thumbs up. I'd like to have the option, and I would pay more for a really good soft drink over a big gulp with less flavor. So, I hope Pepsi reads this review and that they will keep some Pepsi Throwback on the shelves.

Tasty - But...

Remembering the days of my youth, I picked up a 20 oz. bottle of Pepsi-Cola "Throwback".  Anyone still remember when soda was made with *NATURAL SUGAR? ...Read complete review

Remembering the days of my youth, I picked up a 20 oz. bottle of Pepsi-Cola "Throwback".  Anyone still remember when soda was made with *NATURAL SUGAR?  *

I had been sitting in my apartment all day watching it rain.  And I was aching for a soda.  It didn't get that warm in St. Louis today, but it sure was muggy.  Anyone that's ever lived here, or just been here can attest to the humidity from May through September.  It falls just short of Vietnam during the rainy season.

The rain finally ceased about 3 PM and off I went to the closest gas station to pay an inflated price for a 20 oz. bottle of pop.  But, it was *GOOD!    *

Calories?  You bet...lots of them.  100 calories per 8 oz. serving. (Yeah, right; like who only drinks 8 oz. from a 20 oz. bottle?) A whopping 260 calories in all 20 oz.  Other than tasting good, there is *NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE* to Pepsi Throwback.

Oh well...  I'll burn it off tomorrow on the bicycle.  If you're still young & thin...drink away.  If you're getting old & fat, (like me) we had better stick to diet soda or water.

Aaaah, I remember you!

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

After years of noticing my Pepsi tasted weird some how, I just happened to read the ingredients label. Know what I saw? High fructose corn syrup! I don't care what the experts say, I say YUCK. It is not just all in my head, I noticed something wrong before I read the label. Thanks to Pepsi Throw back I can now enjoy Pepsi like I used to. Aside from soda having too many calories I love to drink a Pepsi now and then, but for now I can only enjoy it from home. Until restaurants start to carry it, I'll stick with water, unsweetened tea or black coffee.

Mexican Coke meet Pepsi Throwback

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

Pepsi Throwback is easily one of the most underrated Pepsi products available as a full time product. Many people consider Mexican Coca Cola to be a superior product in the Coke brand, but for some reason it seems it is not understood that Pepsi Throwback is the natural sugar version of Pepsi. The taste is far superior to the corn starch taste in regular Pepsi. Perhaps this needs to be better advertised. Being that the USA is one of the few countries to use corn starch, Pepsi Throwback is also comprable to being what Pepsi in the rest of the world tastes like. I probably go through about 5-6 Pepsi Throwback cans a day. I do wish it came in larger package sizes, but I love that the Pepsi I drank while living in London for 2 years is still available to me in the United States. I also find the retro packaging to be a nostalgic touch that makes the drink seem more down to earth and somehow, less like something I shouldn't be drinking.

Throwback! Yum! When I find it, I hoard it.

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

When I find Pepsi Throwback I buy at least 5 cases. It's sooo good! The main appeal of Throwback is that it's made with sugar rather than corn syrup. I can REALLY taste the difference, and the difference is golden. I wish Coke would come out with a version like this. I also wish Throwback was available more often. It seems to be released in limited batches, which is why I hoard it when I find it.

THROWBACK SHOULD BE THROWN OUT

from Port Saint Lucie, FL

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

I bought a case of the Pepsi Throwback thinking it was going to be delicious. I was very dissapointed that it didn't have that crisp pure cane sugar taste that I have come to love in drinking ice cold bottles of Mexican Coke. Something is leaving me flat on the taste of the Throwback. I won't be buying any more of the Pepsi and will go back to the Mexican Cokes.

Pepsi Throwback doesn't quite live up to my expectations...

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

With all the overwrought, anti-High Fructose Corn Syrup propaganda coming from the "Food Police", I'm not surprised some companies are at least trying to "fix" the problem. There are still old-fashioned sugar-sweetened soft drinks out there, but they're hard to find and they cost more than the "bad" kind. I have found and tried Jones Soda (who use 100% cane sugar), and found it to be good, but costly.

When I first heard about Pepsi Throwback, I thought "oh, no -- Pepsi's pulling a "new Coke".by trying to re-invent something that's just fine the way it is.  I've been a Pepsi drinker from so far back, I used to buy it by the 8-pack in returnable glass bottles. I don't drink diet anything. I usually go through a 12-pack a week. I prefer it as cold as possible, and even drink it out of one of those frosty-freezer-mugs that turn it into a slushy if it's just right.

To be honest, I don't recall the exact time Pepsi did go from using sugar to HFCS -- but I can honestly say I barely noticed the difference. So, just to see if I could tell the difference, I decided to give Pepsi Throwback a go.

I treated it just like I do "regular" Pepsi -- getting it as cold as possible, by putting the can into the freezer for a few minutes, without freezing it solid, then pouring it into my frosty-mug. Right off the bat, I could see a difference in the amount of carbonation it seemed to have. Regular Pepsi gets more of a foamy "head" on it almost as soon as I pour it into the mug. Throwback had very little.

Taste-wise, it actually seemed a little dull. Not flat -- just not very tingly to my tastebuds. Again, I think it was because the carbonation wasn't as strong. As for sweetness, it wasn't as sweet as I was afraid it would be. In fact, I could barely tell the difference in sweetness compared to my preferred regular Pepsi.

For some reason, Pepsi Throwback is about 20 cents more expensive per 12-pack than regular Pepsi. I do not think it's worth the extra 20 cents just to indulge the guilt-trip being applied by the anti-HFCS Food Police.

I'm sticking with my regular Pepsi.

Tasty - But...

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

Pepsi Throwback has made me a Pepsi Addict again!

from Saint Petersburg, FL

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

After trying the Pepsi Throwback, I've sworn off the HFCS-sweetened Pepsi for good, the Throwback is the Pepsi taste I knew and loved when I was younger and the new stuff just pales by comparison. It's still not a health food by any stretch of the imagination, but for my guilty pleasure soda fix I much prefer real sugar to HFCS, and I sincerely hope that Pepsi keeps the Throwback varieties on the shelves.

Yuck!

from Lynchburg, VA

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

Yuck!!!!  That's all I can think to say about this new product by Pepsi.  I figured that it would be just as I remembered Pepsi many years ago - yet it was absolutely horrible.  First off, the so-called "sugar" they used to sweeten it made the drink almost taste flat, rather than with drinks today; in fact, the drink didn't even seem to "foam" like most sodas do.  Other people I asked about it said they had the same happen with theirs.  There was also just a general "odd" taste to the drink that I can't really identify.

The scary part is whether whatever they use now has made us totally forget what a basic soft drink tastes like!  What was SO different back then and today?  I justr don't understand.  All I know is that I will NOT be trying this product again - or any of the other "real sugar" ones.  None of them look good to me and when I took a sip of the Dr. Pepper I felt the same way.  Not good.

what's old is new again

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

I love all things Old skool, retro, boomerang and throwback.   I am so glad Pepsi has re introduced their orrigional flavor cola.  I cold tell something did not taste quite right with Pepsi in recent years but I grew accustomed to the taste. When I first saw  Pepsi Throwback and compared the ingredients to the present day version  then drank some of it, I realized what was missing.. It was not the flavor I remembered. They had tampered with the flavor. I enjoy original Pepsi so much.  It has a distinctive flavor;  I wish they would just return permanently to using their original recipe.  It tastes so much better than the new one. Original Pepsi has a distinctive sweet taste that cannot be beat. I understand being health conscience but if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Pepsi throwback needs to make a permanent comback. The blast fromthe past should be a permanent fixture both present and future.

from Tucson, AZ

Comments about Pepsi Throwback:

The people with Pepsi Cola marketing were smart enough to see that the factories in Mexico producing Coca Cola made with real sugar were appealing to a growing number of American Consumers in the states. although it was bottled as "Coca Cola" in the original 16 oz glass bottles, these same factories were bottling the same product in glass bottles with the Pepsi label but the bottles themselves were not the tall 16oz with the twistey design in the glass, they are more of a smaller bottle with smooth glass. I live in Tucson Arizona so buying a Mexican Coke here is not a problem. I've compared both the Mexican Coke and the Mexican Pepsi and the Pepsi tastes exactly like the Coke. The new Pepsi throwback tastes great!. It has the Pepsi flavor but without the heavy syrupy after taste. The very obvious simularites between Mexican Coke and Pepsi throwback is that with soft drinks made with real sugar, the flavor of the drink stands out and the sugar does not compete with the flavor the way high fructose corn syrup would. Pepsi throwback as with Mexican coke has a smooth clean taste with no lingering after taste. Hats off to Pepsi for being pro active trying to reclaim some of the lost market.