Other Facial Cleansers & Scrubs:

Origins Modern Friction

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Application:

One of the best facial scrubs on the market that is affordable.

I have to say i have tried many different acne treatments and i have found that in combination with a basic facial cleanser, Origins Modern Friction has done wonders for my skin.  The product is non-drying and is gentle enough to use every day.  I use Modern Friction in the morning after washing my face and the scrub is light and a little goes a long way to remove the dead skin that is on the face.  After 2 weeks of religiously using the Modern Friction, along with a gentle skin cleanser, so that my face is clean before i scrub, i noticed that i really do not have any more blemishes on my skin and the acne scars that i had previously had that were red and very noticeable, were dramatically diminished and in the following weeks the scaring has become even better.  The scars that i had were on my face for no less than 6 months and in a matter of a month they were reduced enough that i felt i could go out in public again without make up.  After trying prescription, over the counter acnes treatments as well as things such as Pro-active i have found this product to work the best.  I have even gone as far as to buy more products from their skin care line and love all of them products.  The Origin stores offer free facial sessions where the staff recommends products to work the best for your face and to address your concerns.  This is by far the best money i have ever spent on facial treatments.

Overpriced, doesn't exfoliate well

I think this might work better if you have more mature skin that is not sensitive. I would not recommend this to anyone who has dry skin. It is pretty harsh! This can be used as a cleanser, scrub, mask combo. The sales associate told me to use this first on dry skin, then you add a little water so it gets a little creamy, you can leave it on a minute or two if you want for a mask but I usually do not, then you rinse it off. I usually use this in the shower because it is so difficult to rinse off. The thing is a little product goes a very long way. The downside is that the scrubby are way too chunky to do any work. Also when you rinse it off, it leaves this hot, almost burning sensation on the skin. I'm not really a fan of this feeling. It also takes a long time to rinse off. It doesn't remove dry flakes from your skin. It is also not very sanitary in the tub version although they now have it in a squeeze tube, which I would imagine makes it easier to dispense and is more hygienic. It's one of the bestselling Origins products that is pushed most on customers. I liked it enough during my in-store demo to buy this but I would highly suggest that you get one or two samples of this before purchasing. It really wasn't worth the money and it's not exactly easy to use.

I love a good scrub and I love it more if it's natural.

from West Virginia

Comments about Origins Modern Friction:

This is one of those rare finds where I get a nice, natural, and inexpensive product without having to search or shop at special stores or at great length. Origins makes a nice scrub that works well with my sensitive skin and it leaves me feeling refreshed after using this. This is a gentle microderm abrasion cream. The name is somewhat witty and that's one of the reasons I like it. It's called Modern Friction and that's really what it is. The modern way to cleanse the face is with using friction or abrasion to get deep into the pores. This doesn't really use strong or harsh chemicals. It uses a nice, abrasive material to bring impurities out of the pores and it pulls my blackheads to the surface.

I love this scrub. It's abrasive enough to take away the dead skin cells and layers on top but not so abrasive that it irritates my sensitive skin. It keeps my face from breaking out as badly and it also helps scrub out my blackheads so I am not as self conscious.

Ease of Application
This is very easy to use. You simply apply to fingertips or face, add water, and work in circular motions to gently exfoliate. My only words of caution are to be careful of your fingertip skin as the abrasive crystals can tear at the skin on the tips of fingers and become irritating.

This has a nice scent to it. It isn't harsh or soapy smelling. It's light and refreshing.

• Ease of Application:

Great brand, great product.

Comments about Origins Modern Friction:

I switch out each week but I always use a peel and/or dermabrasion product once to twice a week. I will say that I enjoy this product very much. While I would not say that it is the most "gentle" dermabrasion it is pretty tame when it comes to dermabrasion products. It seems to be very thick on and when rubbing and while the beads are not really painful it just seems to pull at your skin as if you are stretching your skin tight. Other than that I really enjoy this product. I am a huge Origins fan and will use their products for the rest of my life and this is one that I will continue to use. I see a major change in my skin after using it. My skin instantly looks bright and feels very "fresh" overall. The only warning that I have for this product is to not put it anywhere near your eyes and to absolutely make sure all of the beads are washed off before opening your eyes. If you get even a single bead in your eye you will be desperately trying to get it out under the faucet. It is very painful! Other than that I have no complaints.

Very effective overall.

Ease of Application
A little tough but overall good.

Scent is very natural overall.

The Smoothest Skin with Origins Modern Friction

from Long Island City, NY

Comments about Origins Modern Friction:

Often I am dubious when a product makes claims that seem rather impossible. I go to the spa for facials to keep my skin smooth. The cost of exfoliation treatments is extreme so I decided to try this product instead as it claimed to have microdermabrasion properties. Now I cannot live without this fantastic product. It really exfoliates and smooths your skin. It minimizes pores over time and removes blackheads. It is also gentle enough to use on sensitive combination skin such as mine. It has a pleasant citrus scent and is easy to use.

This product lives up to the manufacturer's claims. Over time, your skin is cleaner and smoother with smaller pores.

Ease of Application
The product is easy to apply. I usually put it on in the shower when my skin is damp and moist. Simply apply, rub in circular motions for a minute or two then rinse. The product feels smooth with tiny granules.

The product has a refreshing citrus scent that adds to the feeling of cleanliness.

• Ease of Application:

A great cleanser that goes a long way....

from Hanapepe, HI

Comments about Origins Modern Friction:

This product makes my skin feel soft. I put it on dry and then add some water to wash my face. Only thing, I need to make sure not to get it in my eyes. Once rinsed off, my skin feels great. You only need a tiny bit to make it work!

Seems to be effective for me.

Ease of Application
Easy to apply. just a little bit goes a long way.

No strong scent so it's pleasant to use.

• Ease of Application:

One of the best for microdermabrasiion at home

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Origins Modern Friction:

I have extremely sensitive skin as I have rosecea so I have to be very careful what I use on it. I was hesitant to try this product, but I have used other Origins products from Dr. Andrew Weil and have had very good luck with them not causing redness and eruptions on my skin. If yiou have sensitive skin, you have to be careful using this, but if you follow the directions and apply the scrub to damp skin, you should have no problem. You apply the scrub and then add water and massage until it becomes a lathery paste. It has a very pleasant odor and as with all Origins products, it is natural. After washing it off, your skin is very, very smooth and soft and in my case it seems to have a better texture. I highly recommend this product to everyone, but in my case I was just pleased to finally find a microdermabrasion product that I could finally use on sensitive skin. It is a little pricey, but the tube lasts a long time with careful use.

The more I use this product, the more I like it. Be careful if you have sensitive skin though.

ouch!

from Long Branch, NJ

Comments about Origins Modern Friction:

I recently bought Origins Modern Friction Nature's Gentle Dermabrasion when I went in for a free makeover and had a very sweet saleswoman apply it & then remove it with a cotton pad & a spray bottle.  The citrus ingredients give it a wonderful kind of lime scent (kind of like sweet and sour mix), and it feels good, so I was sold.

When I tried it at home, though, on each of several attempts to rinse it off with a warm washcloth, the citrus ingredients got into my eyes and really stung.  They continued stinging for at least an hour afterward, which made it difficult to apply my makeup well.  This happens even when I try to be really careful and not apply it too close to my eyes.  It smells great and may work well, but it's just not worth the difficulties.  I'm a big fan of Origins' products, but I won't be buying this one again.  I'll probably use up what I have on my hands, elbows, and elsewhere.

Has really been improving the overall appearance of my skin

from Aliquippa, PA

Comments about Origins Modern Friction:

I am hooked on the Origins line because of the nature of their products and because they do not contain toxic chemicals. This product has done wonders for my skin. I have always had a lot of blackheads and I have been using this product for the past three weeks and I have noticed that I have less blackheads and my skin just looks brighter. I couldn't find on the product how often to use so I have been trying to use it 3x's a week. I just try and exfoliate with it for two minutes before rinsing. It does however burn my eyes really bad when I rinse it off. I have tried to avoid my eyes but it still gets into them (maybe just the scent) and it really burns. So be careful when rinsing it off. I also use their moisturizer after and it brings back the moisture to my skins (the modern friction dries my skin out alot).

Origins Modern friction is the best!

from Oreland, PA

Comments about Origins Modern Friction:

WoW! Origins Modern Friction is really amazing stuff! It is one of those products that makes a promise and delivers on said promise! I really can't say enough great things about this product! The smell is absolutly amazing, kind of like fresh cut oranges. You can see and feel results after just one use. The first time I used this product I just could not believe how smooth my skin felt! Another great thing about this product is that even though it performs like a great scrub it is still gentle enough that you could use it everyday if you wanted to and your skin would not hate you for it! I also really love that it is made with ingredients that you can pronounce, with ingredients that are all natural. the only draw back on this product is that it is a bit on the pricey side but when you find a product that actually works it's hard to say nah i won't buy it just because it's pricey. All in all , I love this product. If you don't want to spend the money to find out if it works for you just go to an Origins counter and ask if you can try it, this usually works for me and then you won't feel so bad about spending the money if it's something that won't work for you.

Overpriced, doesn't exfoliate well

from Pasadena, CA

Origins Modern Friction dermabrasion is awesome

from South San Francisco, CA

Comments about Origins Modern Friction:

Origins Modern Friction dermabrasion is awesome!  I’ve been using this product for a few years now and it always leaves my skin feeling so soft and smooth.  My skin also looks a lot less dull on the day that I use it.

This exfoliating scrub only needs to be used two to three times per week and is good for all skin types.  Perhaps if your face is extremely sensitive it may be irritating as it is a bit gritty in texture (it IS a dermabrasion type exfoliator, after all!).

I love that no mixing is required with this product.  I have tried samples of other brands of exfoliators where you have to mix x with y in order for it to be effective.  I find it cumbersome to get the equal amounts and spend time blending it together before applying it to the skin.  Who has extra time to spare?  I just want a simple product like this – put a little on, add a bit of water, rub, and rinse off.  Done!

The only complaint I had was that it came in a tub where you would have to scoop some out.  I see that it now comes in a tube instead.  Hooray!  I prefer the more sanitary method of squeezing some out of a tube rather than sticking my fingers in an open jar (yuck!).

The price for this product is a little high, but until I find a drug store product of this quality I will continue to buy Origins Modern Friction.