Other Facial Cleansers & Scrubs:
St. Ives

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Application:

St. Ives makes an effective, cheap scrub for aging skin.

***Quick View:*** I am used to pricey scrubs but this summer, a series of household emergencies depleted my beauty and skin care fund. I needed facial scrub so I bought two typs of St. Ives scrub for a low price. I didn't expect to really like it but I do. This scrub is gentle yet makes my face look fresh and doesn't strip my dry skin of the oils it needs.

***My Take on St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub***

This six ounce tube of scrub looks like a lotion or a mask. It is off white with little specks in it which are the exfoliators. It contains alpha hydroxy to help with cell turnover so you don't have to scrub like crazy to do it.

The scent is mild and slightly fruity. I don't like strong scents on my face because I have allergies to certain scents and I am just very sensitive to fragrances so close to my nose. This scent is pleasant and subdued.

The scrub doesn't lather so I always wash my face first then use it. It effectively exfoliates but quite gently. I am used to scrubs that leave my skin almost sore from the sugar or salt particles. I realize now that, at age almost 47 (6 days to go!) that I don't need to scrub my face so harshly. **St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub **leaves my skin glowing and clean without feeling like I just used sand paper on it.

As far as the claims that this will firm the skin, I don't see much in the way of firming. However, I only use the scrub a few times a week and just started using it a couple of weeks ago so I can't really say if it firms or not. I don't care if it doesn't. I just want an effective scrub to get rid of dead skin cells and leave my face looking glowing. This one does it and does it very affordably.

***My Viewpoint***

While i am still getting used to scrubbing my face with a gentler scrub than I am used to, S**t. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub **is effective and aforable. It's very gentle and my face feels hydrated and not al all irritated after I use it. All that for just over three bucks! ***4 stars.***

Ease of Application
Simply apply to damp skin and use fingers to gently massage the scrub into the skin to exfoliate and clean deep down.

The scent is mild and slightly fruity.

If you want to avoid the ER, then do not use this product!

I realize my sound bite may sound a bit extreme, but let me tell you a little story about my experience with St. Ives Apricot Scrub Renew and Firm.

While visiting...Read complete review

While visiting my family over the weekend, I decided to try it since I left my Cetaphil face wash at my apartment. Instead of making my skin feel rejuvenated and clean, St. Ives Apricot Scrub Renew and Firm caused me to have an allergic reaction, and spend my Saturday evening in the emergency room.

When I was waiting impatiently at the hospital for treatment, I decided to look up the ingredients found in St. Ives Apricot Scrub Renew and Firm. In addition to containing apricots, it contains walnuts. WALNUTS?! Sorry if I sound bitter, but St. Ives needs to highlight the fact that their Apricot Scrub contains walnuts. As an allergy sufferer who is allergic to peanuts and walnuts, I should have carefully examined this product before turning myself into a lobster. A lesson learned I guess, but I'm definitely never going to use this product again. EVER!

In fact, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants a face wash that contains exfoliators. The ER doctor informed me that I'm not the only one who became the victim of Osama Bin Walnut (or Peanut, take your pick). If that doesn't scare you, then please know that it is a very harsh product for your skin. Unless you like to sandpaper your face on a daily basis.

Well, I guess it's time for me to jump off of my soapbox now and finish my dose pack of Medrol, which is like a prednisone z pack. I just couldn't hesitate to inform my fellow viewpoints members about St. Ives Apricot Scrub Renew and Firm.

It does great as a scrub, but not sure about he firming aspect

from Dallas,TX

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

I have used St.Ives products for many years. I love their facial scrubs. they are inexpensive and truly do provide great exfoliation. With that being said, let me get to this scrub. yes, it does great as a scrub. Yes, it leaves your skin feeling smooth and with this deep cleansed feeling. Yes, it removes dead skin cells. Does it make your skin firm That is where I do not see any effects. I do not feel it's claims are real with that aspect. i used all of it and really never felt my skin was any more firm. I did not feel any difference in my skin. Yes, it felt clean and yes it exfoliated, but that was it. So, all in all, if you want a great scrub and a spa like treatment, then yes, use this product. If you are expecting firmer, renewed skin then, you are in for a big disappointment.

Yes, it does provide good exfoliation and a deep cleansed feeling, but it does not firm your skin at all. I did not notice any change in the firmness of my skin.

Ease of Application
It is like any other scrub. Squeeze it in your fingertips and start applying. It is nothing too hard. Simple, easy application.

I love the fruity scent

• Ease of Application:

An old favorite, but too harsh

from Berkeley, CA

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

I used to be a big, big fan of St. Ives' Apricot Scrub products. When I was younger, I was pretty harsh on my oily, blemish-prone skin. I thought the only way to get a smooth, clear face was to throw lots of strong, powerful products at it and try to force it into submission. St. Ives' scrub is definitely a powerful option, and it will appear to scrub off rough, dry patches.

However, you should be very, very careful about using a product like this on your face. The grainy scrub particles that I used to love turn out to be pretty harsh on delicate skin - the uneven rough edges can cause microtears in your skin that are too small to see or feel, but which can ultimately damage your skin. This scrub might be an ice choice for thicker skin, like feet or elbows, but you should be careful about using it near any delicate skin, like your face. And if you do use it, do so sparingly (don't scrub your face with this every day!)

Pretty good

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

The St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub is a great facial scrub. I actually will sometimes even put it on a loofah and use it to exfoliate my entire body, especially my feet.

This facial exfoliater is pretty effective in getting your skin nice and smooth, clear of roughness and facial impurities. If you have an open sore (like from a popped zit) you probably should not use it until it heals because it will make it sore and bleed. I like to use it about once a week; any more than that and my face gets a bit tender because my skin is sensitive and the exfoliating granules can be a bit painful.

Ease of Application
While this facial scrub is pretty easy to apply (just squeeze out of the tube and rub onto your skin), it is a bit difficult to get off because the granules can get stuck in crevices and in your hair.

I really like the apricot scent from this facial scrub. It does not last for very long, though, and it is very faint, which is a little bit of a bummer.

• Ease of Application:

Face feels fresh and clean

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

I love this face wash. My face feels so fresh and clean after I use it. There are little granules and I feel like they scrub the dirt and grime and oil off my face. I feel like it clears my pores and my face can breath again. I really like using it in the morning, I feel like it gives me a kick start and gives me a little energy to start my day. I like the St. Ives brand and would try more products from them.

I feel it is very effective. My face feels clean. It removes the dirt and oil from my face. My face feels clean for a good portion of the day.

Ease of Application
So easy! I have a face pad and I squeeze some on there and scrub my face. When I'm on vacation and I forget my pad I just use my hands to massage it on my face. It rinses off easily too especially in the shower I can just stick my face right in the water.

I think it smells great especially in the morning when I need a boost to get me going. The scent is not too strong but it is noticeable.

Great exfoliater!

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

Every morning I would see my sister wash her face with something that looked like a white cream. When I looked at the bottle she was using, it was St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub. Her face would always look so nice and clear and I never knew what it is she was doing with it. She gave me the bottle to try it out for my face. I used it once and really loved it. It washed my face so well and made it feel so soft. I liked it so much that I took the bottle from her and told her to buy another one for herself. I would use it every morning, and every morning my face would get a fresh new start. I would get so many compliments on how clear my face is. I continued to use it on a daily bases for about 3 weeks but then noticed my face getting dry. I stopped using it so much but I still use it. Now I am using it no more than twice a week.
St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub works great on my face and gives my skin a glow that was not there. It smells great too.

My favorite cleanser!

from Middleboro, MA

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub is my favorite facial scrub and I have tried them all. It smells great and is very gentle on my sensitive skin. I use it every morning and my face feels clean, fresh and soft to the touch. I had my daughter-in-law try it, and now she is hooked on it, too.
I even use it to take off my makeup. It works well at doing this, too. To remove makeup, I put St. Ives facial scrub on a wet face cloth and then use that to scrub the makeup off.
Try it, maybe you'll like it.

St. Ives facial scrubs do exactly what they say they will do, clean my face and remove my makeup while firming and renewing my skin.

Ease of Application
What can I say, just put a drop about the size of a dime in your hand, lather it up and scrub your face. It's that easy. Rinse off when done and your ready to go.

I love the scent of this scrub; it actually smells just like fresh apricots. It is a pleasant scent that doesn't affect my allergies, either.

from Hermiston, OR

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

I love St. Ives skin care products. I have used some of their other types of facial scrubs and loved them, so I thought I would give this one a try despite the cost being a little more. The tube is easy to open. The product is easy to dispense and can be controlled with no surprises of getting too much coming out at once. I used this product once a week until it was gone. I got about six uses out of one tube. The scrub has a pleasant, fresh scent. You can feel the texture in the scrub. It is not too harsh. Yes, it cleaned my skin well and did not leave it dry. My skin looked radiant and felt refreshed. I did not notice any difference using this product compared to the other facial scrubs St. Ives has. They all appear to work the same on my skin. So, is this product worth paying a little more for? I don't think so, but I would definitely purchase it again if I could not find one of the lesser expensive facial scrubs this company makes.

• Ease of Application:

St. Ives apricot scrub is the best for blackheads!

from Stoughton, Wi

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

I have been using St. Ives Apricot scrub for many years and have found it to be the most effective defense against blackheads on my nose and chin! It is such a refreshing facial cleanser and truly is remarkable in its ability to reduce blackheads and pores!

I use this product in the morning in the shower and again in the evening before bed. St Ives apricot scrub is a product that has stood the test of time and has become a favorite in my household. My son has struggled with blackheads on his nose and chin since adolescence and this is the only product he has had success with in reducing the size of his pores and eliminating blackheads.

Ease of Application
My favorite thing about this product is the texture and apricot scent. The granules help scrub your face and provide a deep cleaning that can not be beat! After using this product, my skin feels firm and fresh. We have tried the generic brands of apricot scrub but always go back to St. Ives facial scrub because it is so much more effective! I highly recommend this product to anyone struggling with blackheads and large pores! It is the best facial scrub on the market!

I love St. Ives Apricot Scrub

from Morrisville, PA

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

I tried this product more years ago than I want to even think about! I love, live, live it! I get a good scrubbing and sloughing if the dry, dead skin cells without getting irritated or over exfoliated skin. With sensitive skin, many scrubs make my skin red. I get a much younger, clean and glowing complexion with this inexpensive scrub. It beats the "department store and specialty store" options.

I get clean, fresh looking and comfortable feeling skin. I use this on my face and neck area almost weekly to refine and really deep clean my skin. I have used this product through pregnancies, menopause and beyond. I love the glow and clean feeling.

Ease of Application
The soft plastic tube is easy to use. The product is not runny so it does not get all over your countertops. It is easy to apply to the skin. It washes off with no extra effort and does not stain.

There is a very light fruity aroma. It is up offensive and I do not like most scents. This is one of only a few products I use with any scent.

• Ease of Application:

Not a great makeup remover, but an excellent scrub

from Des Moines, IA

Comments about St. Ives Timeless Skin Renew & Firm Apricot Scrub:

I tried this scrub as a recommendation from many friends who claimed it worked well as both a scrub and makeup remover. St. Ives is a well-known brand that makes quality products, so I thought I would give it a try. It is heavy on the scrub part, which I found was too harsh for my skin, and it didn't clean as well as I would have hoped. I gave it many chances, but I never was able to finish a single tube of it because I couldn't make it fit in my routine.

This is an effective scrub to the extent that it was too harsh and effective for my skin. It could work well once a week or every other week rotated with my other facial cleansers, but not as my sole cleanser.

Ease of Application
This is an easy product to apply. I found it came out with more than I needed so I had to be careful and ensure I didn't use too much.

This had a really nice scent, which I definitely liked. It was one of the main reasons I gave this product so many chances.