Other Video Game Consoles:

Nintendo - DSi Console

Pros

Cons

The amazing DSi XL could only be better improved with a GBA slot

The system is an amazing upgrade on Nintendo's DS line.  For prospective customers who do not yet own a Nintendo DS at all, or own only the original "not lite" one, then the DSi XL is highly recommended.  For owners of a DS Lite, it's up to you to upgrade, depending on how much you cherish that GBA slot.  I do still love my GBA games, and keep both systems on hand, but I'm crazy like that.  For DSi owners, it's a personal preference to upgrade, especially since the 3DS is coming out within a few months.

It should be noted that the 3DS seems to be backwards compatible, though with the new screens and more powerful engine, I'm banking that the 3DS will have a pretty paltry battery life.

For the DSi XL, I absolutely adore the larger screens.  I play a lot of puzzle games like the Professor Layton series and Picross 3D, and the extra space and larger images are beautiful on the increased screen size.  Also, during Tetris multiplayer, or whatever other games, friends can easily look over your shoulder without it being too much of a bother.  Though it does seem to increase the amount of "backseat gaming".

For me, the DSi XL was a massive improvement, and I especially liked the hotswapping function introduced in the DSi's, where you can swap games, or enter and exit the DS settings menu without turning the system on and off.

The camera on the DSi I mostly ignore.  It's a novelty to me with no real application since the pictures it takes are of low quality.  The image morphing software on the DSi can be fun for a bit, but after a few minutes, the novelty wears off.

The DSi XL comes with two Brain Age games, which is a great for those who have yet to own games.  They can jump right into playing the DSi without purchasing software right away.  I did play with those for a while before indulging back into my own collection of games.

The system is sleek for its size, not too heavy, and definitly not bulky.  It fits easily in most bags and purses, and also in some of the larger pockets on outerwear or jeans.  I thought that the weight would bother me initially, but while I'm playing, I hardly notice it.

Also, the oversized pen-shaped stylus has pretty much been the only stylus I played with.  While the DSi XL does come with a smaller, thin stylus similar to those found in the other DS's, the pen-shaped one is a comfortable fit, and easy to use for long periods of gaming.  Unlike the thin one, it does not feel like it's wearing a groove into my fingers after extended periods of play.

One thing to note that due to the increased screen size, the battery life of the DSi XL is not as long as that of the DS Lite.  I could go with charging my DS Lite once a week while playing several hours every day, while for the DSi XL, I would be charging it every three or four days.  This can be reduced by playing on a lower brightness setting or with headphones on, but I just liked playing conveniently and comfortably, so I forsake battery efficiency for ease.  It is not much of a bother though, since I feel like I'm charging my PSP the same amount with similar amounts of play, but it is something to keep in mind for those who are used to the DS Lite's titantic battery life.

I highly recommend the DSi XL for fans of the NDS.  It may be a bit pricey, but it is an excellent upgrade, and I plan on keeping mine for a long time.  The only drawback or only function that I could see in improving it would be the inclusion of a GBA slot.

As a note, I bought the Midnight Blue DSi XL, the best color out at the time.  I'm not sure if other colors will be made available in the US other than the three that are currently out (Burgandy, Bronze, Midnight Blue), but the Japanese DSi XL's do offer more colors.  However, while the games are region free, the firmware will be Japanese, so those who purchase a Japanese DSi XL to obtain a different color should keep that in mind if they are seeking to use any homebrews.

Nintendo DSi XL falls short

I am a long time fan of Nintendo products, but I must say that I am disappointed in their decision to remove the backwards compatibility with GBA games.  This goes for both the DSi and the DSi XL.  I was actually so annoyed by the fact that it was not backwards compatable that I returned it 2 weeks later for a full refund.

**Pros:**

4.2 inch very large screen is excellent and should be implemented on the original DS (which is backwards comptable with GBA games).

DSi downloadable stations at GameStop and other retail stores is really a nice and new idea that I feel will be duplicated in the future for all handheld systems.

The speakers are great on the DSi XL and of course you can hook up headphones into the jack for when you are on an airplane or whatever.

**Cons:**

The biggest issue I can see is that they did not keep the backwards compatibility that the original DS system has.  I have over 40 GBA games that were not remade into a DS version and I love going back to play the older games.  To be honest if Nintendo never gave DS backwards compatibile to GBA I would never have expected it in the DSi or DSiXL.

**Overall:**

If you don't have any GBA games or if you own the original GBA and you never owned the Original Nintendo DS, then I would recommend the DSi XL.  But for those of you that are like me and buy all the new systems as they come out, I would be hesitant to buy the DSi XL and just wait for the 3DS.

An amazing and unique experience

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

The Nintendo DSIXL is the larger version of the Nintendo DS with a camera built-in. It plays all of your favorite Nintendo DS games plus offers more with camera feature. It maintains the clam-shell design which keeps the handheld portable and safe.

The main attraction for this model is it's huge screen. Games look better than ever blown up on these glorious screens. You won't feel cramped and won't need to squint playing on this much larger screen.

It's all about the games and this device has them. Mario, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon and more! Enjoy these games with unique touch and microphone abilities.

Also look for Nintendo's latest offering - the Nintendo 3DS. This device cannot play the 3DS games so to play the greatest and latest look to an upgrade in the future. Keep in mind that the improved 3DS plays all of your original DS games as well!

Graphics Quality
Not the best but good enough for the games.

Great item!

from Empire, AL

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

My 4 year old son was very jealous of his older brother and sister because they had a Nintendo DSi and he didn’t. For his birthday he saved his money and purchased a Nintendo DSi XL. He loves it! Some of the games are a little too old for him but he still enjoys it. It came with a couple of Brain Age games already on the SD card. The Mario games seem to be easy for him to play. The screen on the XL is so much larger than the regular Nintendo DSi and worth every single penny for the extra size. Also this Nintendo has taken some pretty hard abuse. He shoves it inside couch cushions, bangs it on the table, and slams it closed pretty often and it has never once tore up. This one connects to the DSi shop where you can purchase points to buy games. What I really like about that is if you accidentally delete a game from your DSi or SD card, you can go back and download it again because you already purchased it in the past. Overall I would recommend this for any age. It is a very good and fun item for your kiddos and even for you.

My 4 year old uses it so it is very easy!

It has taken lots of abuse and still works great!

• Controller Comfort:

Good system with a good variety of games.

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

I bought this system for my daughter and she loves it. The Nintendo DSi XL system is great because it's fun for all ages and they have a good variety of games. The battery seems to last quite a while and the screen is a nice size. I would recommend this system.

Fun, Attractive, and smart

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

I've yet to be disappointed by this. Even for those who can't afford its games, they'll still get to enjoy the system as a whole, because the Nintendo E-shop for this is loaded with high quality demos unlike it's predecessors. I've had countless hours of fun with their variety of demos already while I wait for my copy of Pokemon X to come in the mail. I've been very pleased with it.

Graphics Quality
The average game falls under your classic style of nintendo graphics. However it isn't limited to campy graphics like its predecessors were. It ranges from campy like Lego: Lord of the RIngs, to serious graphics like you'd expect from a Ps3 in their animation clips, all depending on what games you buy or apps you use. While the 3d is gimmicky, it sometimes comes in useful in some games where depth perception is a must. The large screen makes seeing the games much less of a pain.

Game Variety
Sure, people say it's just for kids, but you aren't limited to the likes of Pokemon, Mario, or Angry Birds. Some Games available include Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate(which is impressive in its own right, though it has a steep learning curve if you've never played a MH game before), Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater, Dead or Alive 3d, Harmoknight, and so much more.

Controller Comfort
The controller is a bit rough on your hands at first, so it takes some getting used to if you have smaller hands like I do, but once your hands learn the system, it stops being hard on your hands and more downright intuitive. To compare it to the Xperia Play gameplay, this is largely more comfortable, as it won't cut into your hands as you use it.

While it isn't reccomended, it will take a heavy fall if dropped. I purchased this largely because it was claimed to be durable, and so far I've been proven right given the rigorous use I've put it through. I can't give a good review yet on this, but I have faith it will earn it's keep.

• Controller Comfort:

This is good for passing the time and having fun with friends.

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

Fun to play new games and complete them and share my experiences with friends.

Graphics Quality
With this it is good in because it depends on the game you are playing. Most games have good quality.

Game Variety
There are many different games that you can get and a wide variety of stores

• Controller Comfort:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

Very Good System to buy. I do recomend its.Very good for tuch game like Brain age and Yoshi touch and go. Goodfor drawing games, word games picture games etc.

Graphics Quality
This System has very nice graphics and bright colors.

Game Variety
The Nintendo Ds lite XL has very big library of great games Like Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Sonic, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest,Korg DS 10, Prf. Layton,Solato Robo, Phenix Right and many more fun games to be discoverd.

Controller Comfort
The Controls are Great and smooth.For some kids ithe system could be a little heavy its good to get a Good Protective Case, I personaly recomend The Nerf Case for this.

Very easy To use and very fun to plat Touch games.

The Front casing is glossy and very scracheble so purchase a Good Case for it. But still the matrials are firm and solid very durable-like.

• Controller Comfort:

great addition to the ds family

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

Although these devices are currently not being produced anymore, you owe it to yourself to get a ds xl if you're a fan of the expansive ds library. First off, the screen is huge and it makes a big difference, the colors pop out and the games become a much more immersible experience. Other than that the features are the same, it offers the same two screen gameplay we are all familiar with. The device features a slightly better sound system although the glossy surface changed from the matte surface previously is prone to scratches.

Bigger, better, and redder

from Apple Valley, CA

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

DSI XL red is a special version of the system, it comes with games preloaded on it such as brain age. It also includes features such as internet browser, camera. The system is significantly bigger then its predecessor this is especially useful in allowing gamers a bigger screen to play their games. The battery life of the system is quite good when just playing games. The download shop is disappointing as there are only a few good titles. The retail games for the system boost a good mix of genres with standout titles coming from Japanese developers like Konami and Squareenix. One drawback of the system is the finicky online, even though my home was wireless internet, the console wont connect to the internet, meaning i have to go to wifi hotspots to access the download store,

A must for any kid

from Olivia, MN

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

We LOVE our kids DS's (we have 3). They were a wise purchase. We bought them before a trip to FL & it was well worth it. They are very very durable. They have been dropped multiple times (with no case) and they work perfect. The screens are nice & big for kids to see & play. It has fun photo options, recording voice options as well.

Clear great pictures

Game Variety
Any game used for the regular DS can be played on the DS XL. The 3D games are the only ones that will not work.

Controller Comfort
Very good if you do not have a case. If you buy a case for it it is difficult for small hands to hold the controller so I would recommend no case.

One of Kids favorite toys

from West Des Moines, IA

Comments about Nintendo - DSi Console:

I have been a Nintendo fan since the first Nintendo console. I wish I would have waited till Christmas and gotten my kids the 3DS because most games are now just being made for the 3DS. I chose the XL for the bigger screen as recommend ed by my sister who has the XL. We did have the dsi but it was left outside in the rain and was ruined. You are able to get classic games for the XL like Mario and Zelda. I bought my kids some educational games but by far they love the Mario. I have not used the online function, but my kids love the camera and being able to record to the XL.