View more video game consoles

Other Video Game Consoles:

Nintendo - DS Lite Console

Pros

Cons

Lite Bright 2000.

The Nintendo Dual Screen (or DS) Lite is the second version of their portable console originally introduced in 2004. The system is not only smaller and more sleek then the older model now but it even comes with a brighter screen with multiple settings as well fans should love. See why if you haven't got a DS yet this is definitely a good time to start. The good thing about working at a gamestore is that I can compare the two systems side by side. The big difference between this version over the bulky older DS is definitely the weight. I loved my old DS but it was annoying how when I put it my back pocket it made my butt look big (yeah girls we care about that stuff too ya know) plus I bet if I threw the thing at someones head I could knock them out (I don't recommend doing that by the way, it's still over hundred bucks, eh?). It was that heavy! The DS Lite however is not only a few inches shorter and twice as thin compared to the first edition, but it also feels as about a light as a standard DVD case or something. If you decide to throw this little thing at anybody I think you're just going to upset them. The Nintendo DS Lite is still cut in half so you can also open and close like the **Game Boy SP** in order to protect the different buttons, cross pad, and its double LCD screens. Like the SP unit it also has a built in light so you can see the 2 LCD screens even in the dark and don't worry the battery life on the unit last 8 to 18 hours depending on the setting of your 4 blightness settings which can be changed on the opening menus. The system still comes with the Pico Chat option as well and that lets you chat wirelessly with other DS owners if they are near by. You can use the touch screen to write or hit a message on the screen keyboard and type in something to anyone in the area. It certainly takes some gets some getting but it's definitely not a bad feature, eh? That brings me to the unusual double screens here. Although it sounds like a pretty weird gimmick, the bottom screen isn't just for there for nothing. Nintendo utilized the bottom screen to have interactive options so players can either touch (oh ya!), draw, talk into, or even blow on it to play certain titles. Games like **Yoshi's Touch & Go **and** Feel the Magic** are excellent examples of how you can use the bottom screen to play various odd but unique mini games. You certainly couldn't do that on the old Gameboy's, eh? The second screen can also be used to show stuff like stats or maps as well so playing could avoid surfing through menus all the time. This isn't the first time Nintendo has done this sort of thing, the original and very innovative **Punch Out** arcade game had two monitors for example. Can't find the right DS game yet? The system will also let you play all those cool **32-bit Gameboy Advance** cartridges too. Although these games are not as powerful as the DS games of course, there are still several great can't miss games like **Phantasy Star Collection **and** Super Mario Bros. 3** just to name a few. To break it down you can find at least **400 GBA games** alone to go with the DS library. Since the DS is about as powerful as a **Nintendo 64**, you can be sure most of the games will be 3D. This sounds like great news but updated games like **Super Mario 64 DS** just don't play too well since the ultra flat Dpad doesn't work too good for 3D games like those ones. You can also use the Touch Screen to move your character but it feels even worse then the Dpad especially when you not are not getting the right resistance. It was a nice idea but it is more annoying then anything else.One of the best thing I liked about being a DS owner is all the different games available. DS games like **Brain Age **are not only educational but they are even fun to play for both kids or adults plus who can forget about all the other popular franchises like **Super Mario Bros.** and **Castlevania** also on the system. Some of these DS games (Like **Mario Kart **and** Tetris DS**) even support online play if you have a WiFi hotspot around. Although I still don't like using that wimpy crosspad for 3D games like **Metroid Prime Hunters** or **Burnout Legends**, the system's unique touch screen really opens up a new way to interact with your video games. The DS Lite is a great improvement and a already great system on the go.**NINTENDO DS LITE overall rating: 87/100** This review is also on:videogames101.com **-StarSoldier1 2007**(Ryan Genno)

Hmmm, not as great as I wanted it to be

I've had every game boy since the original - in fact, I still like to play my original Tetris game.  I loved the improvements that came with Game Boy Advance, so I was excited when dh gave me this as a gift.

Unlike every other GB incarnation, this one cannot play all old cartridges - it can play most GBA ones.  The new cartridges are TINY - literally a thick postage stamp size - and can be hard to keep track of.  Some integrated storage would have been thoughtful.

The adult games that are available are nice - I have Brain Age and Big Brain Academy.  Both were interesting to play for a while.  I especially liked the Sudoku on Brain Age.  But, I felt like I maxed out on the games quickly.  I tried a few other versions of Sudoku for the DS, but they were so terrible!  I'd like to see better quality games offered for the machine.

Lastly, it's just not that comforable to hold in your hand!  After a short while, I got cramps (and I played for hours on my GBA!) and I can't even imagine what extended play would feel like.

Original DS is awesome

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

Overall, this DSLite is a good first try. Has an awesome library, has the awesome bright back light, better wireless capability, and screens. Feels alright, and is overall very good.

Graphics Quality
For a handheld of its time, the graphics are really good
Blocky, but is still very good for a handheld system.

Game Variety
The original DSLite has a huge library of games. You know Nintendo. Plus, with this DS you can play game boy advanced games too! It's a huge game library/variety to choose from.

Controller Comfort
No slants, so it doesn't exactly feel that great. but it is smooth, and it doesn't slip out of your hands. Sleek, takes a little bit of breaking in

Easy to use, just with a startup lag. Interface is easy as well, but when you change any of the settings, you have to reset the system. Slightly annoying, but it works.

Very durable. Some, however, have very fragile screens. Dropped mine accidentally maybe 6 times, and it still works fine. No cracked screens, a few scrratches, but that's it.

• Controller Comfort:

Got it 6 years ago, still regularly use it.

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

This is such a wonderful product and has a great variety of games for anyone of any age. On top of that you can take it anywhere with ease, it doesn't take up much space at all. It'll last you through a long road trip too, it has excellent battery life.
My friends and I used to spend 30 minutes before school each day having a blast playing Mario Kart -- and this little tradition kept up for five years. So that goes to show this product and the games you can play on it don't "get old" like other consoles.

Graphics Quality
The graphics are OK -- colors are vibrant. Nothing special about them in my opinion. But considering most of the games I played went for a pixel look (Pokemon, Cooking Mama, etc) I'm sure it mostly comes down to preference regarding whether or not you think the graphics are ok.

Game Variety
They offer games for people of all ages. Mario Kart for my friends and I, Brainage for my grandma, and Nintendogs for my friend's little sister.

I found that the touch screen gets scratched easily, so buy screen protectors!

• Controller Comfort:

The thing that accompanied me when I am bored

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

I swear that this thing is even better than a friend can get because this product is portable, light and not bulky even for someone with a small hand like me. There are many interesting games to play on it too like rune factory and harvest moon. Some people said that they could never go back to a DS after trying DS XL. But the XL version is so much heavier and not user friendly for someone with a small hand. The analog stick is also too rough for my taste. I now have a 3DS and I am loving every moment of using it. The placement of the buttons are also much better than on a 3DS i would say. I have dropped it several times before and it is still in perfect condition!

Ds lite Review

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

Very nice gameplay and easy to use but the screen and outside easily becomes covered in grease and other messes.

Graphics Quality
I've played many games on it and all of them had very nice graphics

Game Variety
Alot of different games however many were low in content or just rather unenjoyable

Controller Comfort
You don't get tired of controlling your DS unless you've been playing for hours

Very easy to use most games include tutorials as well

Can be easily broken but its understandable, it is a gaming console.

It is very satisfying.

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

The Nintendo DS Lite system is small, which helps carry it easily around. It has a wide variety of games. Most of the games that are playable on DS Lite are very addictive and well worth the money. However, i find the chat option useless. Since it only works when someone is at a close proximity, it would be easier to just talk to the person face to face instead of through the DS. Also, i found it incredible how the games could be easily broken if they are not in good hands. When i bought it, i broke only two games. I did like that the battery was very long lasting and i found i only had to charge it once a week. All in all, highly recommended to young children and early teens, since most games are for that age group.

• Controller Comfort:

The Nintendo DS lite is fun gaming console for kids...not adults

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

If you're 13 or below, it is a fun gaming console. It features a very simple interface and design. Some of the best games are Mario Kart and Pokemon. However, older gamers will probably not enjoy the DS lite. The games available to it are made for children. Kids will absolutely love this console. older folks should invest in a PSP or gaming computer.

Graphics Quality
Simple graphics. There are no fancy, HD graphics. The graphics are good, just not great.

Game Variety
Depends. If you are a kid around 13-15 or below, there are tons of games for you. pokemon, mario, yoshi, etc. TONS. For older gamers, the only teen/mature games are call of duty, grand theft auto, and a few others. These games, however, are much worse on the DS than on other gaming consoles.

Controller Comfort
Very simple controls. D-pad, abxy buttons, and L/R buttons. Very easy to use and applicable to many games. An analog stick would be nice though. The touch screen is a nice touch, although I personally do not like using it as my main control in certain games.

The Nintendo DS lite is made for kids, and it definitely shines. The interface is clean and simple, the design is very easy to figure out, and the control buttons work effortlessly. Feels comfortable right out the package.

It's a pretty durable console if you don't throw it or drop it often.

Let there be lite.

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

The DS lite is a great handheld system, and is much more compact then the original DS. A slot for Gameboy Advance is also present with the DS Lite, which is a plus. Overall, every aspect of the DS Lite is well designed.

The graphics on the DS Lite aren't any better than the original DS, but the games look much better. This is because the DS Lite has four light settings, the lowest being the brightest setting on the original DS. The light is a significant improvement.

The durability of the DS lite is great. I have had no problems with it. The battery life last a while as well. I would recommend the DS Lite over the original DS, because of the picture quality.

A great handheld system.

from CA

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

The Nintendo ds light is a great handheld system that is exceptional in terms of game variety, durability, and smoothness of gameplay. It's game variety is great because it can play both ds games and the old gameboy games with the slot on the bottom. It's durability is mainly judged on the hard plastic outside. It has a pretty long battery charge lifespan, and it's gameplay smoothness is great for a handheld system.

Great for a portable game!

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

I like the ds lite. This was my first ever portable game and i loved it. The game I got with it was Super Princess Peach. The graphics were really nice. If you ever want something basic and easy to use this would be it.

Graphics Quality
I like the graphics. It was really nice.

Game Variety
There was a lot of games made for the ds by Nintendo and they did a great job with the games.

Controller Comfort
The buttons were comfortable.

Very easy to use. I don't really like things that are complicated. Things that are too complicated I tend to stop using after a while. I had my ds lite metallic pink for four years and I use it once in a while. Especially when I get bored.

Pretty durable. I mean I had mine for four years and it still is in a perfect working condition with a couple of scratches. What I really means that it still works but my only problem is that before I got my screen protector my cousin scratched up the touch screen. I can still tap but it is hard to really do anything that involves me having to do a lot with the bottom screen.

• Controller Comfort:

Lite Price, for mostly young adults and kids.

Comments about Nintendo - DS Lite Console:

System is incapable of using modern features: sync music, online surfing, or even Nintendo store. Which is disappointing but games run well, looks sleek and portable. All good titles such as yugioh (my favorite), pokemon, phoenix wright, and other overtly hyped titles will be on most nintendo ds lite platforms.

I once broke SLOT 2 on my device which is in need of repair and it costs 1/3 of the system total. I shipped the package to them, then within a few days I got it back with it fixed and have become a invaluable gems ever since then. Now I'm not sure if they are charging the same price for this priceless fix.

Since they are many other games that are ported to NDS lite, it has become everyone's favorite on going to travel without playing on their TV which most of the highly graphical and technological advance games were. Since it's the first device to introduce dual screen, it has become a revolutionary console for kids until now.......