Other Digital Cameras:

Nikon - D80 Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

• Portability:

suberb camera with great possibilites

The Nikon D80 is a 10.2 MP effective digital single lens reflex camera (dslr) with great possibilites and lots and lots of settings. Based on the D200 and D50 and D70, one can say it has got the best of both worlds. The camera has a genious way to set it like you like it. by editing the menu options you want to display.

As it is from nikon, you can expect that the camera feels good , handles perfectly and offers opertunities to get outstanding images .

As Nikon did move some buttons the lay out of the backsite is slightly different to the D50 and D70(s) series, witch means that you have to adopt to the new buttons.  Personally i think it is great to have the function button (a button on front to programm a function to it) , mine is set for gridlines display , and i also like that you can change the af mode quick on top of the camera .

The D80  has a Image processing engine witch is similar to D200 / D2X , it is unique that nikon gives pro quality a place at semi professionals.

Some Other key features are :

1. 3D Color Matrix Metering II, 420 pixel sensor witch is the same as used on the D50
2.  11-area AF system  Nikon upgraded ththe af system  and this new version of Multi-CAM 1000, is similar to the D200
3. Custom Auto ISO (selectable maximum ISO, minimum shutter speed)
4. Configurable high ISO and long exposure noise reduction
5. Mechanical only shutter (maximum 1/4000 sec, flash sync to 1/200 sec) this is new the D70 had electronic and mechanical shutter at 1/8000 and the D50 has a higher flash sync speed of 1/500.
6. Quoted 80 ms shutter lag (short viewfinder blackout; 160 ms) this is real fast !!
7. Larger, brighter pentaprism viewfinder (x0.94 magnification) i think taht is great that you can see more than on the D70 and D50 (these models i have myself too for a comparison)
8. Support for SD-HC (SD cards over 2 GB in capacity) , as being a 10.2 Mp effective camera you get  larger files so it is nice to be able to use high capacity storage.
9. Compact body (smaller, lighter than D70/D70s but little heavier than  a D50)
10. Improved menu user interface (same as D200)
11. Wireless flash integration (same as D200)
The dimensions are 132 x 103 x 77 mm (5.2 x 4.1 x 3.0 in) and the weigth is 668 g (1.5 lb) # with battery.(this is 11 grams lighter than a D70(s)

File sizes (approx.)

- JPEG Medium / Normal: 1.3 MB

- JPEG Small / Fine: 1.2 MB

- JPEG Small / Normal: 0.6 MB

Exposure modes

- Digital Vari-program- Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close up, Sports, Night landscape, Night portrait

- Programmed auto (P) with flexible program

- Shutter-priority auto (S)

- Aperture priority auto (A)

-  Manual (M)

Sensitivity

- Auto ISO (customizable)

- ISO 100

- ISO 1600

- ISO 2000 equiv. (HI 0.3) *

- ISO 2500 equiv. (HI 0.7) *

- ISO 3200 equiv. (HI 1.0) *

Iso 100 - 160 is not available on the D50 and D70(s), nore were the settings of 2000-32000 iso.

also new is the improved High ISO NR this can be set in:

- Normal

- Low

- High

- Off

Compared to the Nikon D50 the only setting was OFF or ON (same as the D70(s))

The speed is the same as a D70 3fps wich i think is a fine speed for advanced hobby photographers like me.

I also happen to like the bigger 2.5 inch monitor with higher resolution so you can see the image better for sharpness.

What i also like is that Nikon automatically makes a copy of the original file if you use the built in retouch options , so that you still have the original file if a user error (for example to much tweaking) occurs !

On the lcd monitor a small icon is placed when images are tweaked , i happen to really like this.

Offcourse i have to say that this is a high precision optical/electroc master piece witch you have to get used to and wich expects that the owner has photo making ablities , If you are shooting with a digital point and shoot and only use the auto mode than this camera is not for you. . Like on all dslr's you have to look through the viewfinder , since the D80 has not got live view .

What is live view ? live  view is that you can see on the monitor what you shoot , there is a constant live view on all compacts , why do i say it is great that the D80 does not have it?

Simple the D80 is far more advanced , it offers pro options never seen on a camera for advanced and semi pro's .. a compact camera decides 90% what it thinks it has to be on/in focus , well i ike it very much that i can decide what has to be in focus or not  and i also like it that i have to use the viewfinder , becasue live view is not always 100% correct and see through the lens is great and being able to decide what has to be in fous is great too

This ends my review for the Nikon D80 camera body,  do i recommend it ? Yes , but only for advanced photographers who have had prevoius DSLR expriences .

I will never buy this Nikon d80 digital camera again, problems

I bought this Nikon D80 digital camera for my niece so she could start her own photography business, taking baby pictures, graduation pictures, engagement pictures and sports pictures.  From the very start, this camera was nothing but problems.  We had to send it back to Nikon for repairs on 3 different occasions and still did not get it fixed properly.  We spoke with the supervisor over Nikon regarding the problems and he promised that the camera would be fixed properly or they would replace it with a brand new one.  We finally got the camera back after 6 weeks and the problems were described to us and what they did to fix it, which nothing was fixed, so we sent it back again for new camera.  When they sent the "new" one, we found out rather quickly that they did not send a new camera, they sent a refurbished camera which was not part of our agreement with them.  We demanded our monies back and they refused but told us to take it back to where we bought it to see if they would refund any of it.  Luckily, the place where it was purchased knew us from previous dealings with us over other photography items, so they indeed refunded the monies and also recommended a different make and model of camera for her.  We were grateful to that store for being so helpful in the end.

Bensouda Fez, Morocco 30000

Profile Image

from Hussein Filali School

About Me Semi-Pro Photographer

Verified Reviewer

Pros

• Good Battery Life

Cons

• Complicated Controls

• Wildlife photos

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

This product is a shepherd and beautiful

• Was this a gift?:

Great for transitioning from camera enthusiast to professional

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

This is the camera that has taken me from a beginner in photographer to a professional. I would not recommend it for busy professionals, but for those that only have a few shoots a month in ideal settings and are at entry-to-mid level pricing, it will suffice. The camera is intuitive and has a variety of options to suite you at every ability in multiple occasions. It takes beautiful pictures for the value of the camera!

Image Quality
The images are beautiful--with the exception of low, light images. I think the biggest weakness of the D80 is the amount of grain in images taken in low light. Grain starts to show up around ISO 640 and images are usually unusable above ISO 1000.

The camera has automatic settings for beginners, plus manual settings that will allow you to explore your creative and develop as an artist. It also has nice shortcuts for manipulating the manual settings.

I've been shooting with this camera for 7 years--including some drops here and there--and it is still in like-new condition.

Battery Life
The battery life often lasts me through a few shoots (3 or 4) at 400 to 1,000 pictures per shoot and often spread out over a few weeks. The battery drains more quickly when I use flash, view my screen frequently, or am shooting in cold weather.

Never travel without it!

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

This is the one thing I cannot travel without. Clothes and toiletries can be purchased anywhere, but this camera cannot. It is the one companion that I must always take on trips.

Image Quality
Pictures are always perfectly clear, or perfectly blurred when I choose. I am always impressed with the ability to capture beautiful landscapes and candid shots.

The camera operates beautifully. The performance level is incredible. Photos may be taken at top speed in any lighting.

Expert photographers may enjoy the easy use of manual settings. Meanwhile, casual photographers will not be disappointed with the automatic settings. I have been able to achieve stunning images using both, and it's difficult to determine the difference.

I have had the camera for a long time now, but I've never had to have it serviced for any difficulties. It has held up in all my travels, which include many states and countries in all types of weather and terrain. Of course, I am also very careful about how I pack and carry my camera. I never take any chances of injuring it.

Battery Life
The battery lasts for several hours, but I'm a firm believer in always carrying multiple batteries. Still, it's just a precaution due to my worrying nature.

Portability
Naturally, this is not as small as a point and shoot, pocket-sized, camera (which I always carry in my purse). However, considering the fact that it is an SLR, it's relatively portable. I believe that a lot depends on the number, and size, of lenses you carry with it.

I love this camera

from Newport, NY

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

I am still learning on this camera, but it does have a point and shoot feature for beginners. I love that I can shoot in raw. I still have a hard time choosing the proper f-stop and other settings. The camera came with a little "cheat" sheet that I can keep in my wallet. Interchangeable lenses!

Excellent value for beginner

from Ponca City, OK

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

I bought this camera back in 2009. I LOVE it and am ready to upgrade. If you're just starting out OR just want a nicer camera than the smaller digitals, then this is for you! It's not very complicated and functions well. The battery life is very good for this size of camera. Photos taken are very clear with bright vivid colors! I would recommend the Nikon brand for any photographer .... well built brand.

• Portability:

Great camera for anyone from beginner to pro!

from Syracuse, UT

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

We bought this camera less than a year ago and I LOVE it. The photo quality is incredible/ For the beginner put it in Auto mode and go, you will get great quality photos. And then  you can experiment and see the results right away in the viewing screen!  I highly reccomend this camera. As a scrapbooker, I want the best quality photos for my layouts and this camera delivers!

Makes me look like I know what I'm doing

from Riverview, FL

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

My husband is the official camera nut in the family but after getting Nikon digitals for my son and grandson, I decided it was my turn.  I didn't really care about the brand but my husband said I could use his arsenal of lenses so that sounded good to me.  I love the D80 even though it will probably be years before I know everything it can do.  But even as  a point and shoot for an amateur, the results are amazing.  I even took some close up shots of flowers and tree resin and was amazed at the color and clarity.  I'm still taking baby steps and using automatic settings most of the time although I did use one of my husband's older lenses that can not auto focus on the D80 (he still uses the N series for film...imagine) and had a fairly easy time getting the correct settings.  And the large digital display lets you see what you took so that you do get a second chance at that perfect shot.    I've gotten a few toys to use with it,,,leather hand grip, tripod, extra SD card.  I bought my camera new, body only, since we had lenses,  Since then I have been checking out the Nikon website which is real boon to Nikon owners.  There are forums on all phases of photography as pertains to Nikon.  There is also a "I want to sell" or "I want to buy" section that has some great deals.  This is not a product that will not offer support 10 years down the road.  These cameras are classics as noted by the continued interest in the film series.  I'm sure there will always be faster, bigger, better in the future but this camera will be all I'll need.  I think I'm in love!

Add a 50MM/F1.8 lens to your collection!

from Fremont, CA

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

If you want to take great pictures even in low light, you have to get this lens. This lens also comes in F1.4. You will need this lens if you take portraits, or if you want to produce professional quality pictures. The zoom lens is good as a universal lens. As soon as you go serious about using this Nikon D80 and all it's features, you will definitely need this lens. The one I got over the internet is a Nikkor 50MM/F1.8

Professional quality at an amateur price

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

I love this camera, and the quality has been great for both personal pictures and publishable professional shots. It takes some getting used to, and users may want to carry the manual on the first few shoots, as some menus are not terribly intuitive.

The Nikon D80 is best camera for a non-professional

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Nikon - D80 Digital Camera:

I have had this camera for just over 2 years and I just can't get enough of it.  I bought it to take pictures of everything and I can do that.  From my new grandchildren, to pictures out of a plane, my son's rugby games and on a voyage to Alaska and its wonderous scenery it takes it all with ease.

Obviously some pictures are easier to take than others; such as the grandchildren because they are just there.  But taking action photos of my son's rugby games has been a joy not only for our family but for the whole team.  I can just point and click away at the action and then bring the camera home to download the 500 or more pictures. I edit them and get in for the great close ups and bam the guys have great memories of their rugby games which they can share with their family who were unable to attend the games.

The camera offers manual and automatic settings, so no matter what your camera skill you can take great pictures.  For the rugby photos I choose the automatic setting for the action shots because it shots much faster than I can and I don't have to worry about the settings between shots.  Otherwise, I get a chance to learn more about 35 mm cameras by using the manual settings and learn it at my speed.