Other Digital Cameras:

Nikon - D60 Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

Very impressed

I am glad to say that I am a proud owner of a Nikon d60. I got the camera as a graduation gift and have loved every minute of it. All of the pictures come out looking spectacular, it makes me feel like I am a professional photographer, not to mention that you look like a professional photographer to everyone else! The camera comes equipped with different settings including macro (for catching details up close), kids, sports, landscape, portrait and more.

The camera is the perfect size. Not too big and bulky, but small enough to fit into a medium sized purse or bag. I have not had any troubles with the camera and have been very pleased with the photos I have taken in the past year. Photos which have captured priceless moments and memories. This camera is easy to use and can be useful to a beginning photographer or an amateur. I compliment Nikon on creating a camera that is of great quality and that is reasonably priced so that many people have the opportunity to take fabulous photographs that everyone will enjoy.

Not great if you're wanting to do more serious photography.

I hate to say it- but I have been less-than-pleased with my Nikon D60. The thing that has disappointed me most: this camera does not work with some of my nicer lenses that I used with my previous Nikon DLSR camera body. The D60 does not power the auto focus feature on those lenses. I did not realize that when I purchased this camera, and I have HATED that.

Another thing I dislike about this camera is that when I am shooting in RAW, the preview of the images takes FOREVER to appear on the camera screen. If I just shoot one images at a time, it only takes a couple of seconds. But if I shoot several images consecutively and then put the camera down to see a preview of the last image I snapped, it takes forever to load. This is really a pain if you are trying to shoot portraits or any other even semi-professional shooting.

Of course, as with all of the SLRs, the response time is great on this camera. If you are looking for an upgrade from your point and shoot, this might be a good choice for you. But if you are looking to do any serious photography, spend the money to upgrade.

Pretty awesome camera!

from Greer, SC

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

My father-in-law purchased this camera as his other one quit working from old age. He got this one as a slight upgrade, but it was very important to him that the previous lenses he had purchased would also fit his new camera. This one was perfect. He is still getting the knack of switching to this new camera mostly because it's manual focus with his primary lens, but he is really liking it. This camera is relatively simple to use. I'm not a professional photographer, but I can get decent pictures while using this camera. Is also works with his previously purchased no-touch clicker to take pictures using the tripod. We are so thankful for this camera and the quality of the pictures it takes. My father-in-law takes tons of pictures of our babies and we are so thankful to have our most precious memories stored in such high quality. Our family ighly recommends this camera!

D-60 is a Great Entry Level DSLR

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

I bought mine about 4 years ago and I can say that it is still kicking like the day I bought it. I have purchased various lenses for it and it has responded perfectly. Great piece of equipment.

Image Quality
The images are always sharp and crisp. It's pretty forgiving with shakyness. Because of the limits on the ISO, pictures taken in extreme dark will be fuzzy, but that is pretty normal for a camera at this price.

No problems to report. In my 4 years it has had no hiccups, or issues.

Very easy to use. Still has a great auto feature which make it a nice transition from a point and shoot. It's manual settings are also pretty easy to pick up. Read through the instruction manual when stepping up to manual settings. It will really help.

I have dropped it multiple times and taken it on many trips (although those trips were light ones). Stands up to the test.

Battery Life
The battery is a rechargable one and is actually really good. It has a great life. My problem is leaving the camera on when I put it away...that tends to drain my battery.

Portability
As far as DSLRs go, it is a manageable size. But, it is a DSLR so it's bulky and cannot be inconspicuously carried around. It will be an extra accessory that you'll need to keep track of. But after a while, it just feels like a work bag that you're used to carrying.

Perfect for a basic DSLR

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

I have had this for over 4 years and am very satisfied with my DSLR.
If you are a beginner in the world f photography and DSLRs, this camera will be a good starting point.
The pictures are clear, sharp and I have had NO trouble for over 4 years with anything.
The camera came with 2 lenses and are useful ( just make sure, when u buy, that both lenses have vibration control or VR as it is called. )
Of course, over the years, the cameras have advanced significantly and have a lot of features an you might want to consider those .
On the down side, this model does not have live view, you have to look at the subject thru the view finder and click. No videos.

Keeping the camera on Auto and taking pictures is no big deal, but with a DSLR in hand, I'd say read the manual, understand the terms.

Best Camera I have owned

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

I enjoy taking pictures. I have never felt that I am the best at getting a good picture. This camera has helped me with everyday pictures of my kids to pictures of nature on vacation. I am still not the best photographer but feel I have great pictures. I would never have been able to use a completely manual camera and this one helps me feel like I have a manual camera without the complexity. I discover new aspects about this camera everytime I use it. It is big and has extra lenses for various uses so if you are going somewhere that requires you to carry it around then you may want to consider something else. It can be cumbersome at a theme park unless you store it in a backpack but then you will not catch those spur of the moment actions.

• Portability:

My D60 is like my 3rd child!

from Parsons, KS

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

I compare the D60 to my children. They can be stubborn sometimes and I don't always like how they act, but I love them none the less. This camera is the same. There are times my photos don't turn out exactly like I had hoped, but over all I really do love it. I get clear, crisp images and can use burst mode to shoot several snaps one after another which ensures that there is something usable on my memory card!

Portability
My only complaint about the Nikon D60, or any DSLR for that matter is the size. It is definitely difficult to lug around under certain situations.

Amazing Photo Quality

from Houston, TX

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

I absolutely love my Nikon d60. I've got a decent grasp on photography and the finer details of different options but this camera is nice because you can get amazing pictures in a fully point and shoot mode. It takes phenomenal pictures and the color quality is fantastic. There are so many different options so it makes a really nice camera to grow into. It's not too big and is fairly lightweight. It works with all of the AF lenses, but some you have to manually focus due to the internal motor. Luckily, it's easy to manually focus. The kit lens that the camera comes with is great too. There's a huge improvement in picture quality even on the auto modes. It's amazingly fast and is perfect for photographing kids and pets. It's easy to set up and it's definitely nice that you can use it fully on automatic. It's got three focus points but you can rearrange and make that work just fine. In reality, 3 is really all you need. If you love vivid colors, this is an excellent, easy to use camera.

love it

from Candor, NY

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

Nikon D-60 is an awesome camera! Its takes really great shots especially those action shots of my sons wrestling meets. The only thing that is not so great is the weight, I wish it was a bit lighter. I have taken this acmera on vacations with me as well and everyone loves the photos it takes. You dont need to be a proffesional to take photos with this camera to get proffesional shots you cant take a bad picture. I think you will be as impressed as I am with this camera. Happy picture taking :o)

The Nikon D60 is a great camara, lightweight,lots of features.

from Aiken, SC

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

The Nikon D60 is a great camera. It is lightweight and compact which is great for travel. It has a 200mm VR lense which is great for vibration reduction which can cause pictures to be less blurry. The camera comes with many features from built in effects, red eye reduction, color metering, lighting, and others. I would recommend this camera to others.

I have been able to take great pictures with my camera. It has allowed me to experience digital photography and take it to the next level. This is a great starter camera as well because it is not to difficult to learn.

I enjoy my Nikon and look foward to purchasing more Nikons in the future. Nikon is a great company to purchase from.

The Nikon D60 is a good choice for a starter Digital SLR

from North Charleston, SC

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

I purchased the Nikon D60 the day before going on a trip to Hawaii.  Having owned several Nikon point and shoot cameras, I've grown accustom to the Nikon interface and wanted to continue to use it.  Being a techie, I would normally choose a higher end model, but since this was a last minute purchase, I wasn't willing to invest the amount of cash required to go with the D90 or D300.  Although reading more about the D90 on the flight to Hawaii, I started to have second thoughts about not purchasing the higher model.

The buyer's remorse ended just a few minutes after shooting my first pictures on the D60.  The response from the D60 surprised me.  To allow for the most flexibility in editing, I saved my pictures in the Nikon Raw format.  I was further delighted later that night when I used the included Nikon Transfer software to transfer the pictures from the D60 to my laptop - Yes, I know I could have just plugged in the SD memory card into my laptop, but Nikon Transfer performed a simultaneous transfer of all the pictures to my internal hard drive AND my external USB drive which I use for archival backups.  Additionally, Nikon Transfer recognizes when it has already transferred a picture, so it doesn't fill the hard drive up with duplicate files.

After installing an updated driver that can be downloaded from adobe.com, I was able to directly open the Nikon raw files (NEF) in Photoshop CS4. In addition to the picture quality surpassing my expectations, the VR feature of the included Kit lens saved several shot that would have been ruined due to camera shake.

Overall, I'd give the Nikon D60 4+ stars as a starter Digital SLR.

The Nikon D60 is an excellent camera, and lots of fun to use!

from New York, NY

Comments about Nikon - D60 Digital Camera:

I have loved photography since I was young - I grew up behind the lens, with my father teaching me his techniques. I loved the hands-on aspect of shooting with film, which is now a dying art. Point-and-shoots just didn't have that je ne sais quoi. The Nikon D60 was the first DSLR I've ever owned, and also the most fun I've had with a camera since my black-and-white days. It was reasonably priced, especially compared to other DSLRs on the market, but comes with a ton of features. You can shoot and focus manually, or let the camera do the work for you. Even though I had never owned a DSLR before, it was easy to figure out how to use the D60, and after a few moments of trial and error, I felt like a pro!

Even though many newer models have come out since I bought my Nikon, I don't think I'll be putting down my beloved D60 any time soon! I have tried out more advanced Nikons, and they are great too, but the D60 will always have a special place in my heart. The memories I can capture with this amazing camera are truly priceless. A great buy!