Other Digital Cameras:

Nikon - D40 Digital Camera

Pros

Cons

Great starter SLR!!!

I have had my Nikon D40 (the D40x actually...same camera, more megapixels) for about 10 months now and am loving it!

I am just an amateur...Read complete review

I am just an amateur photographer and this is my first SLR.  I moved up from an Olympus digital Point and shoot.  My main motivation for moving to an SLR was my frustration with the shutter delay with my P&S.  I would love to learn more about photography also and get into shooting in manual.  BUT, I have a low tolerance for frustration when I am learning something new, so I didn't want an SLR that was so complicated I would be missing all the great shots of my daughter while I tried to remember how to adjust the settings for the lighting conditions.  Everything I'd read said the Nikon D40 was right up my alley.....great presets to get great pictures, but the ability to branch out creatively in manual.  I've found this to be true.  I'm getting great pictures, no shutter delay (which is awesome when your main subject is moving ALL The TIME!) and I'm using the preset modes all the time.  I still haven't had the patience to venture into manual mode, but I'm happy with my pictures nonetheless.

One caveat with this camera is that there is no autofocus motor in the camera body, so you have to be sure to buy AF or AF-S lenses if you want autofocus ability.  These lenses have an autofocus motor in them.  Otherwise, if you buy non-AF or AF-S lenses, you will only be able to focus manually.  If you know you will be investing in fancy high-end lenses down the road for sure and want to have more variety to choose from, the D40 may not be fore you.  But if your'e like me, and just want great pics of your child, vacations, holiday gatherings, etc., and are EXTREMELY frustrated by the infamous P&S cameras' shutter delay, this camera might just be fore you!

My only other complaint is the my pictures generally seem to be a bit dark.  I'm told that adjusting white balance would help with this, but with the preset settings, adjusting white balance isn't possible (or at least I haven't figured it out!).  So you have to venture into other settings for that.  I am able to brighten up my pics pretty easily though with some photo editing software, so not too big a deal, but sure would be less hassle if they were right on to begin with.

Definitely recommend it.  Only wish I'd been able to buy one sooner.

All pictures are over exposed.

I tried out my new Nikon D40 DSLR with the 18-55 G ED II lens.  The camera overexposes the pictures taken with or without the flash on.  Photos are can be displayed differently on different monitors.  On my home monitors, which are old 17" CRT's, the pictures look fine because the monitor doesn't have enought brightness and contrast.  On my work monitor, the pictures looked "washed out" no matter how I adjust the monitor.  My work monitor displayes photos taken from my older point and shoot Nikon 4600 fine.  I can see that the pictures are overexposed by the "hot spots" that show up on the subjects photographed.  All skin tones are washed out.I contacted Nikon and had them view the pictures.  Of course they said that the pictures looked fine.  After sending in more pictures, they said if I wasn't satisfied, then I could use exposure compensation.  I tried this and this isn't a completely valid solution.  Using exposure compensation requires you to take the camera off of Auto mode.  Using "P" program mode with the exposure compensation will allow the camera to still work automatically, however, you cannot turn off the flash.  You cannot shot in natural light in "P" mode.  I cannot recommend this camera because a quality image is the most important aspect of a good camera.  I don't want to be spending all my time editting photos to get them to look right.

Have had this camera for many years.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

I got the Nikon D40 as a gift from my parents when I turned 17. I became interested in photography at one point, and I took a photography class in high school. I wanted to own my own camera to use at home, so I wouldn't just have to use the ones at school.

I ended up picking up the Nikon D40 at my local camera store, because I was recommended it by the camera store owner, because it was a great camera for people who were beginners and didn't know much about cameras.

I have to say that I really don't know much about the technical terms, and aspects of this camera. I do know that the Nikon D40 is very easy to use, and takes professional quality photos without any effort at all. It's easy to zoom in, out, and auto focuses by itself. I like that you can either take them in color or black and white. It also has a bunch of other color options as well. I have owned other digital cameras in the past that weren't as good of quality as this one, and this is the best quality digital camera that I have ever owned.

The battery is long lasting, I have never had the camera die on me while I was out and taking pictures, I have never had to have any repairs on this camera because it is very high quality, and it's very easy to use, even for people who have never used a camera before.

Image Quality
The auto focus works very well to give crisp and high quality professional looking photos. I have never had any issues with image quality, and I have taken a lot of great pictures with this camera.

It's easy to take pictures, even if you've never used it before. It's pretty much just a point and shoot digital camera, it just looks fancy. The battery is long lasting and it takes high resolution photos.

Just point and shoot, and it auto focuses for you. This is more of a starter camera, so it isn't hard to use.

I have had this camera since I was 17 and I am now about to turn 25. The camera is still going strong.

Battery Life
I feel like I don't have to charge it very often at all. I haven't had any problems with the battery running out.

Portability
It came with a strap to hang around my neck when I am out and about. It's really easy and portable. I don't have a camera bag, but I throw it in my big purse. It's very light so I don't have trouble carrying it.

Fun camera

from Utah

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

We received this camera used, and it has been an amazing upgrade over the point and shoot that we previously used. It is comfortable to hold, and it is easy to carry. Even on a hike, I can easily fit the strap over my head and one shoulder, and the camera rides close to my body without bouncing away. The biggest irritation is that it is easy to get dust particles or hair inside the camera (particularly when switching lenses). They can get stuck on the mirror inside and show up in every picture until the camera is cleaned.

Image Quality
This camera takes very resolution pictures that come out at a great quality even when blown up to a large size. At times the auto focus has trouble focusing on what I want, and the manual focus is a bit tricky to use. But this problems only come up rarely.

You can just turn the camera on and start taking pictures, and you will get decent quality pictures. But in order to use the camera for all that it can do, you need to spend some time learning about photography and the camera itself. This was somewhat time consuming, but I found that I could take much better pictures afterward.

My first DSLR

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

I love Nikon. I had a Nikon film camera before moving onto a digital camera so my obvious choice was a Nikon. Biggest perk there was that the lenses are interchangeable so I could still use the lenses that I had and not have to start from scratch.

I got a lot of use out of this camera before I upgraded to the D90 and never had a problem with it. It's sturdy, easy to use, and takes great photos. The only reason I got a new camera is because I decided I wanted to upgrade.

When I gave the camera up, it wasn't because it wore out or broke, it was still working perfectly after a couple years and I sold it. As far as I know, it's still getting plenty of use out of it.

I would definitely recommend this camera to any amateur or casual photographers looking for a good starter camera. You'll get tons of beautiful photographs out of this little guy and it's totally worth every penny you will spend.

• Portability:

User friendly and fantastic!

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

I love the Nikon D40. This was my first digital SLR and I have been very happy with it. Although I am in the market for an upgrade, I still find that this works great. The image quality is fantastic, very user friendly, and a durable product. I find that a lot of people get confused because you actually have to look through the view finder (old school!) instead of viewing on the screen what you are photographing. But that is usually when I hand off the camera to others to take a picture with me in it.

LOVE my D40

from Beverly Hills, CA

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

I love this camera. No its no longer the most recent or fanciest model on the market, but Ive had it almost 5 years and it still takes beautiful pictures and works like a charm. I dont think you can go wrong with any Nikon DSLR purchase, they are made with fantastic quality and thought into their functionality. There is really nothing bad I can say about this purchase, I look forward to eventually upgrading to a new model of Nikon's DSLR line, they've made a loyal customer out of me with this camera purchase.

Image Quality
When you know what you're doing (which did take me awhile, and of course can always be hit and miss) it takes some absolutely stunning pictures.

Amazing. Very fast, very functional, just a all around pleasure to use.

Made for easy use, menus and buttons are all streamlined and easily labelled for quick use.

Very high quality made, no problems or durability issues in my years of use.

Battery Life
Very good battery, lasts a whole day if not more...has never been a problem nor have I needed a second battery (though I do not use it for hours on end)

Portability
You do need some sort of accommodation for the general size of any DSLR but its no worse than any other one.

• Portability:

good for amateur wanting better photos

from Winterville, NC

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

We got this camera right before my son was born 5 yrs ago. We were not satisfied with our point and shoot camera and the photos it produced, but really lacked the skill set to have a fancy camera. We had no time to learn about photography. We just knew we wanted the photos of our new son to be better than what we had taken with our old camera. The Nikon D40, even on "auto" takes amazing photos. We still have not ventured into the manual mode, but are so thrilled with the results from this camera in "auto" that we give a great review. It's also durable, which is nice with young kids. The battery life is impressive and we have even forgotten to charge it a few times, but it's been ready to go!

• Portability:

Digital cameras are a must, Nikon is the tops!

from shoreline, CT

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

This camera is easy to use, lightweight and I highly recommend Nikon!

The only time I have an issue with this camera is when the battery runs down!

Battery Life
This battery lasts for so long I am shocked when I have to recharge it because I forget all about it!

Portability
I have a camera bag to keep my camera, charger, and extra zoom lens safe.

I love this camera

from Mesa, AZ

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

My husband bought this camera for me over two years ago and I LOVE it!  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have ever bought this camera myself because I am such a penny pincher but now that I have it I have to say that it is worth every penny we spent on it!  I have much better pictures now which is so important to me as a mother.  I love having great pictures of my kids.  I gave this camera 5 stars because I really do love it that much.  I have looked into getting a newer model of the Nikon only because this camera only has 6 megapixels.  I think I would be happier having at least 10 megapixels because I want to blow some of my pictures up really big but can't because it gets to pixalated.  I also might add that I take most of my pictures in auto mode because the camera does such a great job.  I want to learn to take more pictures in manuel mode but I need more practice.  This camera is great especially for beginners with SLR cameras.

• Portability:

The Nikon D40 is a great camera!

from Auburn, WA

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

I've had the Nikon D40 for almost three years now and it's been a great camera. It's still as good as new. I am not a professional photographer by any means and use this camera only for pictures of my family. I have yet to figure out how to use all of the features, but it still takes really nice pictures. I like that you can quickly take picture after picture, a plus when you have active kids. The battery stays charged for a long time which I love because I'm never caught without batteries when I'm ready to take a priceless picture. There are a few things I would change about it. I really wish you could take video with this camera. It's kind of a pain to lug around this camera and my video camera to school plays, etc. I also wish the lens cap was attached to it somehow. I'm always losing that thing. Also, if you get too close to the subject it will not take a picture and that can be kind of annoying The last thing I would change is the ability to look at the viewfinder to take a picture, and not just throught the hole. Other than that, it's a very good camera. I'm very happy with the picture quality and ease of use.

• Portability:

the best camera i've ever owned

from Saint Petersburg, FL

Comments about Nikon - D40 Digital Camera:

Hey, this is a great product. I would recommend it for first time slr owners. The clarity of the photographs are amazing. I love the fact that the camera turns on instaneously and is ready to shoot. The fast shutter speed allows you to capture previously missed shots due to waiting for the camera to reload. The lenses are a little intimidating for newbie photographers but easy enough if you READ THE DIRECTIONS.