Other Digital Cameras:
Digital SRL Cameras
Nikon
Nikon - D200 Digital Camera

Nikon - D200 Digital Camera

One of the best in the industry!

I am a Navy photographer and use the Nikon D200 for my job.  It is a very reliable camera and has a lot of options to individualize my photos.  Instead of relying on computer programs I can edit and shoot many things within the camera, including RAW.  Double exposure is one of my favorite and not found on very many digital cameras.  Though there is always a special place in my heart for black and white film photography digital is another option to consider and this camera is very affective.

I am a uae photographer and use the Nikon D200

from UAE

About Me Pro Photographer

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Fast/accurate auto-focus
  • Good Image Quality
  • Good Image Stabilization
  • Good in Low Light
  • Great Zoom
  • Large Clear LCD

Cons

• Lag / Shutter Delay
  • Short Battery Life

• Family Photos
  • Travel
  • Wildlife photos

Comments about Nikon - D200 Digital Camera:

i love this camera and i loke make photoes so much

• Was this a gift?:

from Saudi Arabia

About Me Photo Enthusiast

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • High ISO Performance

Cons

• Wildlife photos

• Was this a gift?:

A true professional DSLR

Comments about Nikon - D200 Digital Camera:

The Bottom Line: When I first bought this DSLR, I knew that I would get a lot for my money (this is not a budget friendly DSLR), and it did not disappoint. For the time I used it, I produced some of my favorite photos to date. The only reason I ended up getting rid of it was because of its unrealistic weight (for me, anyway), and could not see myself carrying well over two pounds' worth of camera on my shoulder all day long. Otherwise and exceptional Nikon DSLR.

Image Quality
    This DSLR was possible the best DSLR I have ever worked with. The quality of photographs is nothing short of outstanding, the colors are the most accurate I have ever seen, the White Balance always spot on, as well as the exposure, even in very low light. I was extremely impressed at the sharpness of some of the photos I have taken in very low light (like in a church), even though I had the ISO set to 3200, which tends to result in very grainy photos. This camera works so well on its own, that I rarely ever had to adjust the lighting, contrast, colors etc out of the camera.

As mentioned above, absolutely outstanding DSLR. It is fast, the focus point is aways super sharp, even for action shots, and the quality of the photos really impressed me (and I have used MANY Nikons DSRs!).

This DSR has more functions than most people will ever need, even professional photographers, and may seem a bit overwhelming at first. If you stick to the basic functions, then it is a very easy camera to use, but when you get into the nitty-gritty and technical functions of this camera, you may very well feel like you really don't have a need for all of the functions this camera is able to perform. Best used by people who know a lot about photography and all of the technical aspects of it.

With a metal body and frame, you can almost bang this camera around and never worry about it breaking. It is designed to be handled frequently and may I say, even roughly, and it definitely passes the sturdiness test.

Battery Life
    Nikon advertised that you could take up to 2700 shots with one charge. I tested that theory and it proved to be 100% accurate. I could not believe how long the battery charge lasted, even when I used the built-in flash, and reviewed photos after every shot. Simply outstanding battery life.

Portability
    I am quite sad to have to give this Nikon D200 such a bad grade, but this is the ONLY reason I ended up returning it after a few weeks of playing with it. It simply is MUCH too heavy. Without a lens, it comes in at 830 grams (which is about 1.8 pounds), and add a lens to the body, and you end up with well over two pounds. If you have someone that will carry your heavy bag of equipment around, then this is the camera for you, but if, like me, you are 100% responsible for carrying the camera around, I would not recommend this camera at all. It is simply much too heavy, but professional cameras tend to be that way and it should be expected, but it is also something you should be prepared for.

• Image Quality:
    • Battery Life:
    • Portability:

A true professional DSLR camera nikon d200

from New York, NY

Comments about Nikon - D200 Digital Camera:

That nikon makes good quality camera's is well known to a lot of people . This camera is aimed at a professionals or those who like to become one.

the camera is heavy, but you can hold it very fine , you instantly feel quality when you pick this camera up. The sound it makes is music to my ears you hear the difference between a D200 and a D80 very well. It also is a fast camera able to 5fps with advanced menu options .

the camera perfomes very well and makes me smile , i am glad that i have bought one i use it now more than my previous D80 wich i sold because it can not compare to the D200

Image Quality
    there are plenty of options to tweak the result , the camera has P, S, A, M mode and and MUP and many more on the outside. internal the there are jpeg and raw . jpeg has several tweak levels .

fast , durable no need to stop in pouring rain

in the beginning you get confused by the deepness of the possibilities but practicing helps as well as a good book. i use david d bush nikon d200 field guide and tom hogans ebook now i understand the camera a lot better it has been some steep learning coming from the D80 but i am now glad to have made the step

it goes and goes it can withstand porfessional misuse and as a advanced hobbist that is fine for me

Battery Life
    it eats BATTERIES but with a grip you can use 2 batteries in total and that is good enough for great photo's

Portability
    like said earlier it is heavy but i am not a girl but a firm boy. i very like it

• Image Quality:
    • Battery Life:
    • Portability:

One of the best in the industry!

from Silverdale, WA

Comments about Nikon - D200 Digital Camera:

this is a great camera for the serious amateur

from Coarsegold, CA

Comments about Nikon - D200 Digital Camera:

My Nikon D200 has opened up a whole new world of advanced Digital SLR photography. I got into digital SLR photography a couple of years ago with an entry level Nikon D50. This introduced me to the concept of images that could then be processed into fine photographs. After just a few months I wanted to step up to a higher level camera. The Nikon D200 has been great. I have traveled around the western US and taken thousands of images. My photography has become better than I ever thought it could using the Nikon D200. There are now more advanced systems from Nikon but I still am getting great results with my Nikon D200. No mechanical or electronic problems even after 22-3 years and 10,000 + images.

This is not a light camera for easy portability on trips or hikes but the weight trade off is worth the high quality that it provides. If you are serious about stepping up to a higher level the Nikon D200 is a great camera and as newer systems become available, it will be a bargain.

Some of my images can be seen at vibrant-light-photography.smugmug.com

Good camera for semi-pro.

from Houston, TX

Comments about Nikon - D200 Digital Camera:

Good digital camera for semi-pro. It is a little too heavy though, but with the quality of the pictures it takes, I do not mind it.

Sometimes i find it a little too dificult to navigate it s features, especially with the flash i have.

Overall a great camera.

Awesome pro-level affordable DSLR

from Lima, OH

Comments about Nikon - D200 Digital Camera:

The Nikon D200 is an awesome pro-level camera for a pretty good price. It has a lot of optional accessories, but I have yet to buy any.

The "fuel gauge function" on the rechargeable battery is great. It gives you a detailed view of how much power is remaining. Just watch out if you buy an extra battery or have another Nikon camera without the fuel gage - you can't interchange the two types of batteries.

Many purchase options only come with the camera body, so it is nice to be able to pick exactly which lens(es) you want. I have two of Nikon's vibration reduction lenses and they work great with the D200. Nikon offers a very wide variety (options and price) of lenses.

The automatic settings work great almost all the time. But it does have a full range of manual settings, which are easily changed with easily accessible options - everything is at your fingertips, unlike some brands.

I think the camera (with a lens) is light for what is packed into it.

The controls would only be confusing if you didn't understand photography - aperature, shutter speed, etc. It was a bit confusing at first moving from a D70 to the D200, but once I got used to it, which didn't take too long, I would never go back.

nice camera

from Blacklick, OH

Comments about Nikon - D200 Digital Camera:

If you are looking for a digital single lens reflex (DSLR) camera to use outside, this is a great choice.  The quality of the images is amazingly sharp.  I usually use a Sigma lense with this - 24 - 70 mmD 1:2.8 EX DG.  It's FAST.  The camera has many many choices, it can do pretty much anything you ask of it, from timer shots to repeated exposures.  I have never had any problems with it, it's very reliable and does what I ask of it.

I do have issues with the flash inside.  The pictures turn out terribly.  I'm not really sure why, I haven't been able to fix it.  It doesn't matter, I usually use it outdoors, but if you're looking for an inside camera this is probably not what you want to go with unless you're going to also invest in an external flash.

As with all DSLR's, this sucker eats batteries like nothing else.  You'll need to get a few to have on hand.  It's also quite heavy, but really you should expect that based on what it is capable of.

You have to buy lenses to go with the body.  This is a big kid camera people, don't complain that lenses are extra.  That's the entire point.  ;)  Just sayin...if that bothers you get a point and shoot and don't complain.

Nikon D200 is the best in the industry

from Independence, MO

Comments about Nikon - D200 Digital Camera:

As other reviewers have mentioned this camera is really a great piece of equipment.  I was a die hard, old school photographer who was reluctant to move up from a traditional SLR and my beloved film photography.  I still believe it to be some of the best tactile art out there, BUT it's hard to beat the ease of use and technology of the D200.  I shopped around for a while looking for a camera that would meet my own personal requirements and this fit the bill.  The learning curve to using this camera is not too bad if you have a basic understanding of photography principles already.  There are a lot of gadgets on the camera that you may never even use, but they are fun to fiddle with.  The digital medium is economical and easy to manipulate and there are a lot of interesting features to the camera.  Either full auto or full manual this camera is a professional camera without the professional price.  Outfit your camera with a few great nikon lenses and you may never need to purchase any other camera.  This model takes brilliant professional portraiture, great stills, and beautiful landscapes.  You will love it.