4.8

Cons

Lodge Cast Iron Pan: Not for everything but a great option

**Lodge Cast Iron Frying Pan**

**Lodge Cast Iron Frying Pan**

Last year we spent several weeks in a rented cabin on a river in Montana.  Whenever a family cook has to operate in a new kitchen there are always kitchen luxuries that one misses like an ice maker but often there's also an opportunity to try out some new kitchen gadgets, appliances or cookware.  The Lodge frying pan was one of those opportunities that turned into an "I have to have one of these."

Part of the draw was the nostalgia of remembering my grandmother cooking in cast iron pans right on the wood-stove.  I quickly found however, that other than adjusting to heavier weight of a cast iron frying pan, that it offered great results for certain foods like perfect pancakes, corn bread or brown and crispy summer vegetable medleys.

Once home, my husband took on the mission of finding me a cast iron frying pan.  He came home with a Lodge cast iron frying pan that we were both thrilled to learn was **Made in the USA.**

Cast iron frying pans have to be "seasoned." It's easy and the instructions are included.  Then you're good to go.  The cast iron frying pan is really easy to clean.

You'll have to experiment with a cast iron pan according to your taste.  My husband likes to cook eggs in it but I do not because I don't want firm eggs but that's just a matter of taste.  I still love it for other things, especially browning squash, zuchinni, onions, mushrooms and peppers.  I love the results I get with just perfectly browned pancakes or corn cakes.

***My Viewpoint:***  A Lodge cast iron frying pan is a welcome option for those who love to cook.  I wouldn't want it to be my only frying pan but for certain foods it is a superior choice.

My first cast iron pan

I received this for my 29th birthday along with a new knife and a few other kitchen odds and ends. I've never used cast iron before, but was interested in learning to use it, particularly for searing steaks and finishing them in the oven. My first impression was that it was quite heavy and solid, as should be expected from a quality cast iron skillet (I paid attention to Alton Brown's recommendations). I was pleased that it was pre-seasoned, but would have been willing to season it myself. The handle is very small for a skillet this size and makes it difficult to get a solid grip and maneuver the weight, particularly when it is holding hot meat and oil.

Cleaning any cast iron skillet should be relatively simple seeing as it requires no soap, no scouring and minimal effort, but I am just not accustomed to leaving grease in my pans. I've tried using salt to help remove excess buildup, but was unhappy with the effect. My pan got ruined by a poorly-informed ex who was trying to help by washing it in hot water. The pan has already started to oxidize....

A Lifetime Investment

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

Over the years I have bought many of these. I own several myself in varying sizes to go along with older cast iron in my cupboard. I buy pieces regularly as gifts for couples getting married and to gift my children. I no longer cook on anything but cast iron and stainless steel. For health reason I threw away my Teflon long ago. These pans once seasoned properly are virtually non stick and can be used for anything from baking corn bread to searing to frying stove top. They can be used indoors or out and are pretty well indestructible. The larger ones can be heavy to lift for older hands though. I never use dish soap on mine and always cover with a thin coat of oil once done cooking. If something sticks I simply use salt on a damp pot to scour away any food that sticks and rinse with hot water. I will say that the older cast iron seems to have a smoother finish but when you don't own or can't find older cast iron this is the next best thing.

These are affordable and dependable pots that will last a lifetime.

• Ease of Handling:

It goes from stove top to oven in a second.

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

It can be used outside on an open flame or on a grill. It is the most versatile cooking utensil I have ever used.

Heat Distribution
It cooks evenly and remains hot when removed from heat longer than any other skillet.

Anything stuck will release with a little soaking.

perfect

I think it lasts for generations.

Great skillet

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

I like this skillet a lot. It's heavy and a bit big but I like it. I've cooked meat, potatoes, eggs and plan on cooking a pizza recipe I found. Am glad it is supposed to last for many many years!

Food sometimes stick.

Fairly well distributed.

Ease of Handling
It is hard to hold with one hand (mine is the larger size) because its very heavy. BUT that's what makes it so durable.

It's not too difficult to clean but there are directions on how to clean it because you don't want to use a lot of soap because you want the seasoning to build over the years.

It is very heavy and very durable. I think it will be with me for a long time.

• Ease of Handling:

This is one solid, sturdy skillet.

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

This is the only skillet i use in my home. It's solid, durable, and naturally resists sticking without the use of any strange chemical coatings. And unlike many other skillets, my Lodge cast iron disperses heat throughout the whole pan. In the years that I've had it, it has only improved!

Doesn't Stick
It's perfect! It was already seasoned when I got it and didn't stick then. As it has aged it has maintained this quality.

Heat Distribution
This is one of the best qualities of this skillet. I really like that I don't have to worry about one side not cooking while the other side over cooks.

Ease of Handling
It is a bit heavy, but that's the nature of cast iron, AND this product is totally worth it.

Due to its nonstick nature, the cleanup is super-easy.

I have to say the design is perfect because I can't think of any way that I'd improve upon it. It's dark, sleek metal is very attractive to look at, as well.

My skillet has proven to be very durable and solid all the way around. No complaints here.

• Ease of Handling:

Why did people stop using these?

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

We love our Lodge cast iron skillets. Everything from that brand is great. We've noticed that our older ones are even better than the new ones, so perhaps they get better with age. It doesn't make sense to me that people stopped using these except that they were tricked by marketing to go for flimsy stainless steel or worse teflon. I like that these are heavy duty. They cook the food well, and they don't have unsafe chemicals. You also don't have to worry about these getting burnet up or just overused. When the food starts to stick all you have to do is season (simply rinse, scrape, and oil until then) by putting oil on it and heating it up. Handwashing isn't the most fun, but I don't mind when considering all the other benefits. We have one Lodge cast iron skillet from my husband's grandma that it still works just as well if not better even being several decades old!

Doesn't Stick
It works really well to not stick if you use oil with cooking. I recommend coconut oil. After a while it may stick again, but hat is usually from not using enough oil. Simply re-season the skillet and it is like brand new or better.

Heat Distribution
This thing gets hot and cooks food well!

Ease of Handling
Well it isn't light, but I like that. I prefer a good sturdy cooking skillet.

There is a process, but once you get the hang of it, no problem.

Classic.

I've never seen any skillet last so long. This is a quality product.

• Ease of Handling:

What could be greater than golf with a gator? This can.

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

My Lodge cast iron is probably my favorite kitchen utensil. I've used this to roast meat, saute asparagus and even bake corn bread. I've pounded chicken to flatten it out and then cooked it in the cast iron. After years of use, the accumulated flavors in this pan are just amazing. All I ever do is wipe it down with paper towel after I use it so it has this beautiful covering of flavors and aromas that also serve to minimize sticking. I love that it works as well on a stove top as in the oven and I really have no fear of it ever breaking. Sometimes I'll cook a whole meal in it: grill some pork chops, then use that fat to saute asparagas with lemon olive oil and then drop in some pasta to soak up all of those wonderful flavors. I really don't have another cooking tool (except my cast iron dutch oven) that is nearly as versatile. I think this is a must-have pan for any home cook.

Doesn't Stick
Never an issue. Just a tab of oil prevents everything from sticking.

Heat Distribution
Excellent. Almost too good as the handle is often seemingly as hot as the pan itself.

Ease of Handling
Heavy as heavy can be. Its a dense little pan and is deceptively heavy, especially if I have a roasting chicken in it. The handle and little lip on the opposite side work well though, as do the spouts opposite of each other when I'm removing excess fat or other juices.

I wish I could rate this 11. No soap ever. No sponges or scrubbing ever. At most I'll let it soak in warm water for a little bit before wiping it down.

Classic!

You'd have to be a pretty intense chef to crack as cast iron. I know people who still have their grandmother's cast iron skillet and I plan on using my Lodge for as long as I can cook.

Hard to clean

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

I love the way my food comes out but I find this pan fairly hard to clean. I feel like the pan does a great job of evenly distributing the heat. I also like that I can get the pan really out and that it can go straight into the oven to finish cooking.

Sticks often.

• Ease of Handling:

Well made and easy to use

from Knoxville, TN

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

This is my first cast iron piece and I never could have imagined how much I would love it! It is perfectly pre-seasoned which makes it so easy to care for. I was intimidated by cast iron but it's definitely not hard to use at all. Nothing sticks to the pan, the heat distribution is almost perfect, and there's just something about it that makes everything taste better.

Cast Iron Stands the Test of Time

from Fort Gratiot, MI

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

Our kitchen could not survive without our cast iron skillets. They are heavy but stand the test of time. For campers it's a classic. What I like most about caste iron is the overall even cooking. We use it for frying chicken; eggs and bacon that is when my husband is not using it outdoors. It washes up well and doesn't cost a whole lot. Pre-seasoned on purpose so the food doesn't stick to the pan, I still spray with oil. I've always owned caste iron and was concerned how well it would work with our new electric stove. I was pleasantly surprised that there was no need to worry. Growing up, my grandmother also used caste iron. Anything that's been around that long has to be the very best. One thing all caste iron owners must be aware of is that this pan cannot go in the dishwasher. Just rinse with hot water and be sure to dry immediately. This will ensure it not rusting.

Doesn't Stick
If some food sticks, boil hot water until it becomes easy to remove. Always remember to dry immediatelyl

Heat Distribution
Awesome, food stays warmer longer

Never put in the dishwasher. Rinse with hot water.

Essential for your kitchen

from Berkeley, CA

Comments about Lodge Logic Cast Iron Skillet:

What did I ever do before my Lodge cast iron skillet? This is one of those heirloom pieces that I know I'll have in my kitchen forever - and I can tell that it will last forever, too! I can't believe it took me this long to get one. At such a reasonable price, too, it's hard to have any excuse not to get one.

There are lots of advantages to having a piece that can work on the stovetop and in the oven. You can brown a dish on the stove and then stick it in the oven for a slow roast, or you can cook most of the dish on the stove and get a nice browned finish in the broiler. The pan makes roasting dishes a snap - just dice up some meat and veggies, toss with some oil, and let the pan and your oven take care of the rest. You can cook desserts and bake bread in one too; it's heavy-duty, but also versatile, and can handle all types of dishes.

Cleaning and caring for cast iron takes a little bit of work - they require seasoning for a while, and it's best not to use soap - but some time in the oven can also work wonders to clean them up. Overall, the little bit of effort is worth it!