Other Early Development Toys:
Activity Toy, Learning Toys, Musical Toys, Stuffed Animals
LeapFrog
LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal

LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal

Leap Frog Pal for Baby and Me does so much more than Count!

** All about the Counting Pal**

** All about the Counting Pal**

Sofie is a little over a year old. She’s my great niece by marriage. Our daughter baby sits for her one day a week so I see Sofie a lot. One of her newest toys is Leap Frog Baby Counting Pal. I think I play with it as much as Sofie. Actually she’s at the age where she still needs some help so my playing **with** it isn't so odd. This cute little caterpillar is a pleasure to help her with.

The material on him is soft but he isn’t a soft and cuddly toy. He’s very educational and fun. He has a bright yellow face with purple ears. His body has five sections numbered from 1 to 5. He has a green and white handle made of material so he can be carried around. He also has two Velcro straps on his back so he can be attached to your carriage or whatever you want.

His legs have a variety of pictures on them such as bumble bees and lady bugs. Each leg is a different color and each one feels different. One has a crunchy texture for example and another has a squishy feel.

That’s just the beginning. Next to his legs is a green plastic circle with purple rings that move on this circle. We’re still not done! There is so much more.

Sophie presses each part of the caterpillar’s body and hears a song. Press the blue 1 and hear “One little birdie singing so sweet…” and the leg that corresponds to the 1 has one bird. When she presses the orange 2 she’ll hear “Two little butterflies love to fly…” with the corresponding orange leg with two butterflies.

The caterpillar’s neck is full of fun things which Sofie is old enough to press though her fine motor skills are just really beginning to find the item she wants. There is one circle showing the numbers 1, 2, 3; one showing a crayon; one showing a musical note and one showing three musical notes. This caterpillar is really amazing! When she presses the circle with the 3 notes it says “Musical melody” then if she presses, let’s say the 3 on the catepillar's body, she gets just that - a musical melody. Each color gives her a different melody.

The crayon circle tells her that the 3 she just pressed is yellow and that the 5 if pressed is red. The one note circle tells Sofie “Classical music” and pressing 2 she’ll hear a classical piece; 4 gives her Vivaldi.

Counting Pal measures about 15 inches long by 7 inches at the widest.

**Jo's Conclusion **We love this toy. I can't find anything wrong with it. He's portable, soft enough, educational and fun. Thumbs up!

I like it much better with dead batteries.

The Leapfrog Baby Counting Pal is a plush caterpillar with a facial expression and cap that are familiar to all plush Leapfrog toys. She has a soft handle for carrying, five different-colored body segments with numbers on them, four feet with pictures of critters and various busy-baby contraptions inside, one foot that is actually a ring with four plastic flowers to spin, and four different settings for play. The settings are: Numbers, Colors, Classical Music, and Musical Medleys. That is also the order in which they irritate me. The parent's on and off switch and volume control are inside a velcro-closured pouch in the caterpillar's back. Cloth straps with velcro at the ends are fastened to the back. A female voice says rhymes and sings songs. In the Numbers setting, she sings a different counting song to the same tune for all five numbers. I don't like this setting at all, because the songs take too long to get to the counting and are very boring. Colors is a step up because she sings a different song for each color - the Blue opera song, the Orange country song, the Yellow barbershop song, the Purple jazz song, and the Red reggae song. While the songs are mildly amusing, they are very short and each one is introduced by a very repetitive rhyme. Also, the female voice is gratingly overemotive for the material. Classical Music plays a few bars of a musical selection by Mozart, Boccherini, Bach, Vivaldi, and Beethoven. The sound quality is on par with other Leapfrog toys, and, at the lower volume level, is soothing and pleasant. Musical Medleys plays all the musical selections in a loop without introducing the composer first. The music lasts for about 4 minutes in my estimation.

The caterpillar's body segments are very thick and the sensors are hard to activate. Even I have to squeeze pretty hard sometimes and feel around for the right place. As a smaller baby, my toddler liked the songs, but tired of the them quickly and was mostly involved with the feet. The velcro straps on the back are for fastening the toy to something, like the bars of a crib, but I haven't found them useful. The one thing I really wanted them to do, which is strap the toy to the baby's tray on the stroller so she can't throw it on the ground, is beyond the ability of the weak velcro.

When HRH was about seventeen months, the batteries died and I never replaced them. She adores anything she can carry around by a handle, so the caterpillar travels all over the house. Usually, the play is limited to carrying it from one spot to the next, as if she is pretending to have a purse. If I could just forget all the sounds it ever made, gut the battery housing, and simply view it as a cute caterpillar with colors and numbers, I would probably think much more highly of this toy.

Wonderful toy for babies and toddlers

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

Our children loved this toy! It can be played with in a variety of formats. In the classical music session when you press each number it will play a different melody. It even tells the name of the composer before it begins the melody. In number mode it sings a cute song about the animals pictured. My kids loved this when they were babies and toddlers. We used it in the stroller (it can attach) and it has a handle so they can carry it around with them. It is also nice in the car. My only wish is that it were easier to clean as ours got dirty over the years (we have 2 kids - 3 years apart) and it was well loved. I gifted this to my niece since ours was too worn to pass down and she loves it as much as my kids did. It is soft and has different items on it to keep a busy baby occupied even without the music. Would work well in the car seat or grocery cart as well. Definitely a fun, must have toy.

Best toy for any toddler or babies

from Carson City, NV

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

I had the leapfrog baby counting pal for both of my kids and they both loved it. It is easy to use and is very entertaining. the music plays for awhile so they dont have to keep pushing buttons when they are little to make it play sounds. i also like it because it can go anywhere and hang on anything like the carsear or the stroller so it is convient also. i would recommended this to everyone who has kids.

lots of colorful fun

from Salisbury, MD

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

The LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal is great.  My son played with it daily for months.  He noticed the colors designs right away.  The he worked his way up tp pushing the buttons and feeling the textures.  It's cute and easy to carry along.

This toy is wonderful.

from Clyde, OH

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

This toy is wonderful.  The only thing wrong is that it is kinda hard for my toddler to push the buttons by himself.  He has learned some of his numbers and colors by playing with this toy though.  Worth the money.  This toy is very educational.  I would buy it again and again for my future children.

My older girls still love this toy.

from Wetumpka, AL

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

This is a cute, colorful toy.  I have a baby, a 3 year old, and an almost 5 year old and they all love this toy.  The songs are cute and the girls love to sing with them.  The colors catch the baby's attention.  It is a little difficult to push the buttons.  When the girls were smaller, I was the one pushing the buttons for them.

cute toy

from Muskego, WI

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

I bought this toy about 2 1/2 years ago when my first son was born and when we took our daily walks this toy always came with us. I would put this in the stroller and play the classical music as we strolled around the neighborhood. He grew up loving it and I enjoyed it too. I'm thinking I need to dig it out of the bottom of the toy box for my second son who has missed out on 5 months of this toy. My oldest grew out of everything that doesn't have wheels around 11/2.

great first toy

from Midlothian, TX

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

this was my sons first toy that he really payed attention toy.  he would just lay there and listen to the music and he loves to play with the flowers on the ring.  even at 10 months he still likes to listen to the music. plus them item isnt very bulky so its a great toy that you can bring along and it attachs to the stroller

It is great, but my baby could never get the music on his own.

from Lawton, OK

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

This is a good toy that you can use with your child.  My young toddler would have a problem finding the inside button to get the music to play.  I would usually use it while I was in reach of the toy so I could make the music play.  It did keep him busy when the music was playing.  The small toy attachments are nice.  The only thing I would change about the toy is the buttons should be more sensitive.  My 9 months old still can not puch the buttons, but finally my three year old can.

Lots of fun and great learning

from Saint Paul, MN

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

I like this toy alot. It was a gift to our fourth child. I like the sounds it makes they are not anoying like other toys can be. It is a little hard for the child to operate however. It is not very easy to clean. I would not recomend leaving it in a childs bed unless you and suppervising the child however.

great car and stroller toy

from Aurora, IL

Comments about LeapFrog Baby Counting Pal:

My son loves this toy. It says 3+ months but he did not really start to like it until around 5 to 6 months. He is 8 months now and still plays with it. The music soothes him when I put him in the car seat because he hates being in there. The classical music really helps keep him calm. I recommend this to to all my friends.