View more cell phones

3.9

Pros

Cons

LG Voyager: Adventure in Cell Phone Usage

I tend to keep most products until they completely wear out. Rather than spend the extra money, I don't usually give in and replace what I own until it is thoroughly exhausted and unable to function the way I like. But there is one exception to my frugality, and that is electronics. I will buy a new phone, clock, CD player, etc., even when my existing model is still in functional, working order. Cell phones are no exception. I replace cell phones as quickly as the opportunity presents itself and this year's new phone is none other than the **LG Voyager VX10000 Cell Phone**, a trendy phone with plenty of features. **Phone Commentary:**LG Voyager VX10000 Cell Phone is one of a growing number of cell phones that offer the dual features of a touch screen on the outside and a full QWERTY keyboard with a second viewing screen on the inside. The outside touch screen is touch- activated and from here, one can access any of the features that the phone offers. The screen will lock automatically after about fifteen seconds have passed and will go completely blank at this point, to prevent accidental dialing. Pressing the Send or PWR/End key is necessary to re- activate the outside screen. The outside also has Bluetooth capability and a 2.0 megapixel camera with 2.5x digital zoom. On the inside of the LG Voyager VX10000 Cell Phone, consumers will find a full QWERTY keyboard along with the identical Send, CLR, and PWR/End keys- just like those found on the outside of the phone. There is also a Shift, Symbol, OK button, four arrow keys to be used when navigating menus, etc. Speakers exist on both sides of the interior viewing screen. Both the interior and exterior screens measure approx. 2.5 by 1.5 inches. The memory is 8 GB and there is also a MicroSD expansion slot. An MP3 player, video recorder, and voice recorder are included and the lithium ion battery offers up to four hours of talk time. As you can see from the above statistics, the LG Voyager VX10000 has plenty of features, but this is only the beginning of what you get with this phone. Browsing through the different options, starting with the main menu, you will see a Media Center, Messaging, Contacts, Recent Calls, Settings & Tools, Music, Browser, and VZ Navigator. Within each of these menus are dozens of sub menus and besides the usual features offered with most cell phones, this phone also offers additional features such as VCAST music, Visual Voice Mail, City ID, an integrated GPS system, and more. I have only used a few of these added features and I am surprised how many different features and different settings I continue to discover each day. LG Voyager VX10000 Cell Phone offers many good reasons to consider it as your future cell phone purchase. If you like to spend a good deal of time talking on the phone, then you will like that this phone offers four hours of talk time without having to recharge the battery. I have never had a four hour phone conversation while using this phone, so I have never come even close to using up the charge. You could easily miss a couple of days of charging without worry. I probably use my phone each day for a total of about 40 minutes (counting both text messaging and talk time) and with my minimal use, I could go for a few days without needing to plug the phone into the charging unit. Of course, those who like to chat will have to plug the phone in more frequently, but for someone like me, keeping it charged isn't a concern.

Among the features of the LG Voyager VX10000 cell phone, the one that stands out most and mattered most to me when I decided to purchase this phone is the QWERTY keyboard. I like to send text messages and texting is quickly becoming one of my preferred methods of communication. I don't like the "press and wait" process of most cell phones. I want to enter the letters quickly, and this requires a full keyboard. The LG Voyager VX10000 has a full keyboard, similar to a personal computer keyboard only, of course, much smaller. It can be a hassle for those with larger fingers (they may need to use the tip of a pen or pencil to press the small keys), but even in this instance, texting is still faster with a QWERTY than with an ordinary cell phone.   Another fact that set the LG Voyager VX10000 Cell Phone apart from others is its large size. If you plan to put this phone in your pocket, you need to make sure there is enough depth to completely enclose the phone. Also, you need to make sure that the touch screen has been locked before you place the LG Voyager VX10000 Cell Phone in your pocket. If the screen is not locked, then any slight touch will activate one of the features. As a rule, I make sure the screen has faded completely and the lock is set before I place the phone back into my pocket. When you're ready to use the phone again (utilizing the outside- the inside is activated by flipping the phone open), you will first have to press the Send or End buttons, then touch a small padlock on the screen that says "Touch to unlock". This prepares the outside screen for ordinary usage.  I like the sound quality of the LG Voyager VX10000 Cell Phone and I have never had any issues with the clarity. Of course, the bulk of the credit for the sound clairty belongs to the Verizon network, which continues to be one of the best in the business and is also the main reason I continue to stick with Verizon even though I know that less expensive options are available. However, even when I am not using the Verizon network (such as when listening to music, listening to video feedback, etc.), the sound quality is still very good. I have also had good experiences with the camera on this phone. It doesn't offer a flash but is does offer advanced features that I did not have with previous cell phones, like the ability to crop and visually enhance pictures.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

The LG Voyager VX10000 Cell Phone is the best I have owned thus far and I continue to find more reasons to like it each day. It is a large cell phone (measures 4.6 by 2.1 by 0.7 inches), so it isn't practical for those who want a cell phone that is easy to hide from view. But the full QWERTY keyboard and other advanced features make the LG Voyager VX10000 Cell Phone one of the best I have ever used.

The Voyager is not the best phone in the world.

I really liked my LG voyager for the first few months that I had it. I love the full qwerty board for texting, I really like the touch screen, and I especially like that it has an alternate screen besides the touch screen.  Despite the things I like, I am very much looking forward to  getting a different phone once my contract is up.  One reason for this is that the phone randomly turns off, a lot of the time while I am in the middle of a text message.  They told me this can happen if you have too many pictures on your phone, but I didn't see that as a good reason.  The microphone and earpiece occasionally stop working.  Sometimes at the same time, sometimes at different times.  It will then randomly start working again.  There was an entire two weeks that my phone did not work. Not the microphone or earpiece.  It is not the most reliable phone.  Overall, it would be a great phone if they could just work out some of the kinks.

I loved it ever since I got it

from Casselberry, FL

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

This phone is very durable. I've had it for almost 2 years and my phones are usually close to being gone by the first year of having it. I'm so glad I got it when I did because Verizon is now forcing data plans on customers that purchase phones with advanced (internet, qwerty, etc.) capabilities.

Great touch screen phone

from 94720

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

The LG Voyager VX10000 is a very well-designed touch screen phone. It has a pretty good sized keyboard without making the phone look too bulky. The keyboard is very spacious and comfortable. The phone actually feels sturdy and the touch screen is easy to use. The display shows the time and battery life on standby. There are four main controls at the bottom of the display. They open the message menu, screen keypad, contacts list, and main menu. It's also really simple to set up shortcuts. There's a vibrate mode that you can adjust the setting for, which is pretty convenient. The phone has a microSD slot that supports up to 8GB of memory, and the phone comes with 180MB of memory already. Overall this is a very cool looking phone that might be a good alternative to the iPhone for some people.

LG Voyager was okay.

from Denver, CO

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

I had the LG Voyager for 2 years. One of my main complaints with the phone is the responsiveness and quirkiness of the touch screen. Yeah, it's so cool that it has a touch screen, but the touch feature is horrible. It's unresponsive, and you need to touch it a certain way to get it to respond (albeit, slowly). I can't stand it. The Apple ipod touch is WAY better in terms of touch responsiveness and user friendliness. Aside from that, everything was great. The phone had everything that I needed, and texting was a breeze with the keyboard. It seemed to lose battery power much quicker toward the end of my 2 year contract than it did at the beginning, but that seems to be the case with most electronics of this sort. I would recommend this phone. I've had different LG phones over the course of 7 years and this one didn't disappoint! Reliable phone, built well, and affordable--the touch screen feature needs lots of work though.

• Battery Life:

I love the LG voyager cell phone!

from Hobart, IN

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

I love my LG voyager cell phone! I am ready for an upgrade in June 2010 and I think I will get the Voyager again. I love that it has the external touch screen and the full internal QWERTY keyboard. The sound is great and I always get good reception where ever I am. It is the most durable phone I have purchased! I think this is a phone for anyone! This phone is very easy to use and it is great for texting. You have the option of using the touch screen or using the full internal keyboard which makes it easier for texting. It takes great pictures too! I have had my Voyager for almost 2 years and it still looks brand new. I have had the protector slip over the touch screen and not one scratch on it. It has the longest battery life of any phone I have had. I strongly recommend this phone to anyone!

Best phone I've ever owned.

from Lexington, SC

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

This is by far the best phone I've owned so far. I love the touch screen feature although sometimes it does take me a few touches to get it to answer when it's ringing. I have a hard time using the scroll feature too. I always have to open it and scroll from the keyboard. I text all the time, so I love the full keyboard. I do wish that the internet was a little faster, but I didn't expect it to be super fast. The calendar is very useful in keeping up with my kids schedules. Overall this is a great phone.

Slick multi-functional touch phone that does the job all in one.

from Auburn Hills, MI

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

The LG Voyager is a great phone for multiple functions. You can check your email, find directions on your GPS, text in no time with the qwerty key board and watch tv and more. No need to run home, or go to a library, this phone does it all!

Love it! Simple to use and great quality!

from Honea Path, SC

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

I just upgraded to this phone in December due to I was beginning to text message. It is so simple to use and I love all the features. Great quality and durable. I'm very prone to dropping my phone and this one has held up. I did get the cover for it to protect the Titanium due to my clumsiness. Recommed this phone to anyone!

Good phone if you can get it cheap.

from Perkasie, PA

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

I got one of these phones right after they came out and am pretty happy with it overall.  The touch screen feature is not the best in the world and actually using the phone for phone calls is kind of a pain but the QWERTY keyboard and big interior screen are excellent for texting.

Great phone for texting and ok for web browsing

from Milwaukee, WI

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

I recently got this phone because I wanted a qwerty keyboard and also internet access.

While I like the phone and it's functions, there are certain things that have driven me nuts thus far. Some of the cons to consider:

*The autolock feature which can be irritating on or off - can't find a happy medium

*some ringtones are so quiet you end up missing lots of calls

*speakerphone only works with keyboard open

*when texting or using speaker phone, you need to use the # key a lot. Because this is part of a qwerty keyboard, you have to hit two keys to access the # key, which is cumbersome, esp. when trying to use speakerphone

*Browser can be slow

*searching through contacts can be slow with the touchscreen

All in one, better than the IPHONE, phone!!

from Hilliard, OH

Comments about LG - Voyager Cell Phone:

This is a great phone! It's the new hottest thing, buy it!!!  It is a lot better than the IPHONE and my experience with any other phone as well.  I sat in a restaraunt the other night and watched the season finale of tila tequila live off of my new voyager.