View more cell phones

CU500
LG - Cell Phone

LG - Cell Phone

3.3

Great phone for those not wanting a full PDA smartphone.

I am about to make the upgrade from the LG CU500 to the new AT&T Tilt smartphone, but before I do I wanted to do a quick review.
Read complete review

The LG CU500 in my opinion is an excellent phone for those who want almost everything!  You have an easy to use interface, ample memory that you are able to upgrade easily with a micro sd memory card, you have your camera which takes good pictures if you have ample light, you have your MP3 player and amazingly enough the speakers with the phone open is great for a phone, you have your calendar, games, video capabilities, radio, a decent sized screen, and tons of cool features.

My only draw back with this phone is if you are an avid texter or if you want to go online with your phone.  Now you can do both with this phone it's just tedious and hard on the eyes and fingers.  The screen is too small to do any real browsing online unless you don't mind scrolling and waiting for it to load and a tad slow also.  Texting is a pain because you have the standard phone keyboard which means you either keep pushing until you get your letter or turn on t9 which usually populates your text with a word that you weren't looking for.

Other than that this phone contains most of the features and cool extras that would satisfy those who want more than a phone and less than a PDA!

A lot of bells and whistles but some connection issues.

I was excited to get a new cell phone after having my simple one for several years.  I chose this one based on its price as compared to phones like it.  I bought this phone off of the AT and T website without seeing it or any others first.  I did recieve a rebate that made the price of the phone very affordable. There are many things I like about this phone.  I like the simple lines of the phone.  It really takes a beating.  I have 2 kids who tend to grab my phone and play with it.  It has been flipped open over and over... it has been grabbed by sticky fingers... it has been dropped and it has been played with and it is still in very good condition.  This cell phone is also very easy to use and the menus are easy to understand.  The speaker phone feature is really nice and very easy to hear.  It is also easy to personalize the menus and ring tones.  Downloading things are easy also.THere are a few things I do nt like about this phone.  I live about 45 miles from a city and sometimes I get NO service.  There are several places where I never have service very close to my house.  At times this phone looses connection while I am talking.  Sometimes I have to turn it off and on to get service and when I do that, sometimes I have several missed calls or texts.  I have a relative who has similar problems.  I also wish the battery would last longer.Overall, this is a phone fun, but better service issues would make it great.

BEST non-smartphone I have owned!

from Fremont, CA

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

It's a shame that LG discontinued the CU500 and that future models in the same line did not match its quality, because the CU500 was the best regular phone I ever owned--in my opinion, even better than the blackberry pearl. It is very sturdily built (I believe it is quartz), and has a very efficient physical form. The phone has a swiveling 1.3MP camera, which I thought was pretty cool. The picture camera can be accessed even with the flip lid down, and you can even access and play music files using the controls built on the lid's mini display panel.

Even though this phone is capable of a lot, the best features of the phone are the basic features. The keypad feels quite sturdy, and the speaker/phone is absolutely great. You can hear both voices and alerts quite loudly. The phone is 3G capable, and can play media files as well. The phone also has a microSD slot, which can take cards upto 1GB in capacity. You can store all kinds of media files on the card.

The phone got a blank white screen all of a sudden and died.

• Voice Quality:
  • Battery Life:

I really enjoy using this phone. It even has a MP3 player!!!

from Cypress Inn, TN

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

I really do enjoy using this phone. I know that it is an older phone now, but if you get a chance, try one of these. I chose this phone instead of the Motorola razor and I believe that I made a great choice. This phone is sleek and thinner like the razor, but it has a few different features. I like the MP3 player on this phone, and with a memory card, you are able to have tons of stuff right on your phone! and its bluetooth, so you can use it with all your bluetooth technology.Its a great phone, and I can't wait to see how long I can continue to use it. I hate cell phone shopping, but I am happy that I ended up with this one!!!

Awful!

from Sturgeon, MO

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

I was really disappointed with this phone.  The battery life was extremely poor and had to be continually charged, especially if you listened tothe MP3 player.  I could hardly get tower reception on this phone, and when I did the other person was very hard to hear.

A lot of bells and whistles but some connection issues.

from Brenham, TX

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

Does what it is supposed to do!

from Carson, CA

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

This free phone is amazing! I have used this phone for five years without any kind of problems. It has that slick cool metalic case that prevents minor scratches. The battery life is good since I have used it every day to talk to my girlfriend for fiver plus hours and still have enough battery life to use it the next day. This is not a smart phone but does what it is supposed to do which is call and text. It doesnt have a qwerty keyboard or touch screen but a person can still text fast using the t9 texting. The camera is amazing since you can see the picture on the other side if taking self pictures. It also has a camera angle adjuster to get that perfect angle for your pictures. Talk quality is great and music is average. The only problem with this phone is that when using a micro card, your music and pictures have to be in a specific folder or else you will not be able to access it through your phone.

does exactly what a phone is supposed to do

from Houston, TX

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

I got this phone a few years ago for mainly one reason: to make phone calls.  It excels at this but is limited in other features.  The call quality is excellent and I have not experienced more than a just a few dropped calls.  I have taken this phone overseas and when I did get a signal, I was usually able to make phone calls without any problems.  Though this is more likely a network problem, the phone did have some issues in certain countries where I could not make phone calls but I was able to receive them.

In terms of other features, the camera actually performs quite well for a phone.  It's a typical cell phone camera but quality is worthy of publishing to facebook or other social networking sites.  Browsing the net on the phone isn't recommended as it's too slow and the interface is a bit clumsy for much more than checking weather or sports.

The battery life on this phone is impressive.  I've gone a couple weeks without charging this, and only now after 2 years has it started needing charging after several days.  I would recommend this phone to those interested in a very capable call-making phone.

Lots Of Bang For The Buck!!!

from Hegins, PA

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

This phone is a good value, even though it isn't made anymore. It can do almost anything a brand new, cutting edge cell phone can do, except javascript and flash- based web browsing (which most if not all of them still can't do) and tandem broadband internet (It won't act as a modem for your laptop over regular wireless internet). It has a surprisingly good sounding mp3 player (even with the onboard speaker(s)) that supports windows media audio and Itunes -styled AAC audio, but it won't play any protected content. It supports the use of Bluetooth headphones, and it handles Bluetooth device to device transmission. It takes fairly decent pictures for a camera phone. Video taken with the camera is bit choppy (20 frames per second, I believe), but it will suffice for capturing memories on a family outing or short vacation. It will also play very nice video with the use of a microSD card (limited to 1gb capacity), on which you may store video or audio downloaded from your computer. I watched a great deal of "Gone With The Wind" one day while my wife was shopping. Signal strength is good and call quality is better than acceptable.

LG is a great phone to have when you are out on the ocean.

from Easley, SC

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

LG is a great phone.I have had the LG flip phone for three years and I have had no problems with it.I got the phones when we were going on a cruise, because my kids were not going with us.I called from the ship everyday and always got an answer, even in the middle of the open sea where there was nothing around for miles.The Lg made it the best trip ever.I text on a daily bases and i have never had a problem in getting my text or recieving pictures on my phone.My daughter is eight and she is always asking me to let her take pictures of herself to send to her myspace page and i have a camera lol it takes great pictures.my contract is up and im having a problem in finding a phone that I will like as well.Wish me luck

LG cell phone is a piece of junk

from Union City, CA

Comments about LG - Cell Phone:

I've had this LG cell phone for about a year now. The think is junk. Dropped calls, unable to connect to the network, on and on. I use it with AT&T. When I'm around others with AT&T service, they are able to make calls and connect to the network. All I get is "call ended" when the call never even connected in the first place. People can't hear what I'm saying, calls get dropped in the middle. Just plain annoying!

AWESOMENESS

from Hialeah, FL

This phone is awesome

I usually have to change my phone every six months because im not very careful with them, what can I say I'm a college student and can't be worrying about taking care of something so minor

Well this phone is awesome, I've dropped it in water, it's fallen down the stairs....It's taken a very good beating and its still Awesome

I've had it for a year now and it still looks new, this is by far the best phone I've EVER had

plays music, you can get online from it ... I just love it