Other Credit Cards:

Kohls - Credit Card

Pros

Cons

Kohl's Credit Card: Yet Another Excuse to Shop at Kohl's

I have several different credit cards in my wallet. Even though I am fully aware of the potential financial hazards of credit card ownership, I like to have several different credit cards because I like to take advantage of the latest offers. One credit card that I recently obtained is a card issued by one of my family's favorite stores. It's the **Kohl's Credit Card**, a piece of plastic that makes shopping at Kohl's even easier than before. **Credit Card Commentary:** First, let's talk about the basics. Kohl's Credit Card is a store- issued card and it is generally very easy to obtain. Applications for a Kohl's Credit Card have to be processed at a Kohl's Department store. The online site allows customers a way to print an application, but it has to be taken to a store for completion. It cannot be electronically processed. Kohl's Credit Card, like other store credit cards, carries no annual fee. But, also like other store credit cards, the interest rate for a Kohl's Credit Card is pretty high- around 22 percent annually. The high rate takes effect immediately, as soon as you open and account, and it is fixed. A twenty- eight to thirty day (based on the number of days in the month) grace period is offered on all purchases. Kohl's Credit Card is my newest credit card and, if my family has any say in the matter, it will likely occupy a permanent place in my wallet. The reason is because Kohl's is my wife and girl's favorite store to shop for clothing. Even my young baby girls (ages one and two) have already developed a liking for Kohl's because they know this is a place to shop for clothes, which is something they love to get, almost as much as they love toys.   Kohl's Credit Card does have limited use, like most store credit cards, since it can only be used at a Kohl's store or online at Kohls.com. But the deals for Kohl's shoppers really are quite good, and they make ownership of a Kohl's Card worthwhile. In fact, it is these special promotions that convinced me to accept this credit card offer in the first place. At least once per month, Kohl's will offer special deals that are valid *only* for Kohl's Credit Card holders. These special offers are usually a percentage off of your total bill and they apply to your full purchase. When I first signed up for the Kohl's Card, I received 20 percent off my bill plus I was given a gift card toward a future purchase. This was enough to convince me that a Kohl's Credit Card was a good idea. We already shop at Kohl's all the time anyway, so why not use a credit card and receive a discount on our purchases? It made sense to go ahead and accept.  I like Kohl's Credit Cars, but it does have at least one bad feature:: It has a very high interest rate- higher than most all of the major credit cards and there is little or no hope of ever seeing a reduction. Consumers can try to keep this extra expense under control by exercising discipline when using the Kohl's Credit Card and also by making it a point to pay off the balance in full every month. This is sometimes easier said than done, with all these great promotional offers. But if one can resist the temptation to shop and carry a balance each month, they can easily come out ahead with this credit card. Another incentive offered by Kohl's to its credit card customers is the Most Valued Customer status. Cardholders achieve this status as soon as they spend more than $600 in any given year. MVC customers have the advantage of choosing their own sale day, six months per year. These MVC customers also get additional savings opportunities- above and beyond the twelve opportunities offered to regular cardholders.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, Kohl's Credit Card is a credit card I don't regret accepting. My family and I shop all the time at Kohl's anyway, so it makes sense to convert these shopping excursions into money saving events. The interest rate on this card is high, but there is a one- month grace period and as long as you pay off your balance (or most of your balance) in full every month, the savings from the discount offers easily makes Kohl's Credit Card a piece of plastic worth owning.

Great discounts, but Kohl's is too quick with credit reporting

I do not like to carry store cards, but the Kohl's card is clearly a good one to have because of the 15% discount days coupled with their excellent sales.  They also carry clothing that my entire family likes to wear.  My problem is with the financial end of the card service.  I will admit that I let the card lapse for 30 days one time a few years ago, but then I paid it off in full as usual.  I was traveling like crazy for work in that period and just lost track of a few things.  I just checked my credit report recently and found out that Kohl's/Chase had given me a negative mark for that month and it is going to stay on my report for 7 years.  This is going to ultimately cost me more than I am saving with their coupons.  Now, I know that I have to take responsibility for my credit, but in my 30 years of credit experience they were more ready to pull the trigger with this negative reporting than any one else.  Other lenders give you a grace period.  It is the only negative mark on my report.  I will certainly be more careful with them in the future, but I am thinking about cancelling the card to ward off any future problems.

watch your kohl's credit card charges

from Arizona

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

I pay my bills onetime every time - I had kohl's set up on auto-pay for 2 years and the last 6 months they started charging me a late fee. I contacted the credit department and they said I paid 2 weeks late every month - when i asked how that could be, I paid on time for 18 months and then it was late - I've had them set up on the same auto-pay schedule for 2 years. The service Rep reviewed my history and did find that they received payment on the same day of the month for two years - he tried to argue it, but finally gave me credit for the late fees. I told him i wanted to cancel my card with Kohl's, asked him what the balance was. I told him that I had a scheduled payment and so i would pay all but the payment amount. he said no, you ned to pay the entire amount so i can close your account - he assured me they would not accept the scheduled payment. So I paid it off and closed the account - AND they accepted my payment too. I had to again call Kohl's and request they they send me a check, which they agreed and told me it would take 3-4 months.

I closed the account because of their dishonest business practices.

Never again!

from Lone Tree, CO

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

I hate this card. I have had awful customer service time and time again. They lost my check that I sent for payment. Charged me a late fee. Reversed the late fee. Then charged me double that for not paying the late fee that they reversed. I have had so many issues with this store the past few months!

Gives you tons of savings!

from Florida

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

I love my kohls charge!! I frequently get coupons in the mail that are for kohls charge card holders such as 30% off my purchase. Having this card pays off, and if you pay off your balance every mo th the interest rate for the card won't be so bad.

Great Credit Card to have on Hand

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

I shop a lot at Kohl's and have this Kohl's credit card. I basically opened it because of the special discounts they have for card holders. Generally, if you use your card you get 30 percent off your total. Since they already have great sales and discounts , this extra 30 percent really gives great savings. Not only do you save this way, you can also earn Kohls Cash and Yes! Rewards. If you are a cardholder you get access to special sales and promotions. You get text messages with special savings codes as well. They have great sales! The interest rate is about the same as all department store credit cards but since they keep your line of credit fairly low , it is easy to pay off. Monthly payments are about 25.00, more if you carry a large balance. If you have a problem, customer service is easy to reach and have always been friendly and helpful. I have never had a problem with the store or my Kohls charge card. I recommend it!

Really nice

from Warren, OH

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

I just applied for a kohls credit card last night and I got 15% off of my purchase. This was great and very helpful because I spent a very large amount of money at kohls and was able to save a significant amount due to the large purchase that I made. The best part is that I saved 15% and I also got twenty dollars back in kohls cash and I also got another ten dollars in rewards! I was really happy about my purchase because I saved so much and got more money back to spend on another purchase. The customer service I have used and they have been very friendly and helpful to me when I needed help or had any questions and answered them completely. They also do not have an annual fee which is amazing and the only kind of credit cards that I will have anymore because it is not worth it to have an annual fee to pay. I would highly reccomened this to anyone looking for a new credit card. And one thing I forgot to mention is they also send out coupons regularly to use with your credit card.

• Available Rates:

Horrible interest, but okay for a big Kohls shopper.

from Florida

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

I had a Kohls credit card for just over a year. It was a pretty easy credit card to get to begin with and at the time I had very little credit and was trying to establish some for myself. Enter the Kohls credit card. The interest on this card is ridiculous, 26.5%.

I mean I know that I had no other real credit history to speak of, but still it was a little crazy. I only kept the card for a little more than a year before cancelling it, and paying it off. So even though the interest was crazy, it did what I needed it to.

My experience with my Kohls credit card is overall a pretty mediocre one. Not terrible, but not fantastic. Pretty just run of the mill average. Can't really complain, but also wasn't really blown away. If you're a big Kohls shopper, it might be worth it to you if you spend a lot of money with them and don't mind the higher interest.

Customer Service
When I dealt with the customer service they were actually pretty helpful. I wasn't blown away, but they were pretty helpful.

Great benefits and discounts

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

Overall I think the Kohls card is a great store card to have. I receive many discounts in the mail, online and in-store throughout the year. I have never had a problem with their customer service department. I enjoy the member benefits of the card. I always shop their around the holidays with my Kohls card to receive extra discounts and I am able to share them with family and friends. I enjoy using my card online for purchases.

Customer Service
I have called about different things throughout the time that I have had my Kohls card. I have never had a problem getting a mistake on my bill fixed or an adjustment to my card. The customer service department is great for answering questions and they are allways polite.

Available Rates
The rates on the card could be a little better but I pay it off each month so I am not subject to the rates that often. I wish our interest rate was a little lower or that they would offer free interest on purchases for 1 or 2 years.

Why go into debt?

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

I have a Kohls Credit Card and I use it often. Too often…lol. It is hard not to use the Kohls Credit Card when they offer discounts if it is used. They get you coming and going with this special offer. If you do not pay it off right away is it really worth the discount? (Probably not) I will say though that I do receive more coupons by using my Kohls Credit Card and some of the coupons do not require you to make a purchase on your Kohls Credit Card. If you spend so much in one year on your Kohls Credit Card you also receive more coupons for $10.00 off your purchase. This is an added bonus. It is something that not all customers receive. With all types of Kohls Credit Cards you need to spend responsibly. I like the fact that you can make a purchase on your Kohls Credit Card and turn around and pay it off after the purchase is made. You get the best of both worlds…a discount on your items and no interest at the end of the month.

• Available Rates:

Get it if you shop here.

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

I have always had many credit cards in my wallet and I know I should stop getting more now. I know the toll it takes on credit history if not maintained properly. I had the Kohl's credit card in the past but cancelled it sometime back since I do not shop their often now. Earlier I had a Kohl's near my place but since we have shifted now have Macys close by. If I may compare this card is no different than Macy's or JC penney. The members get this exclusive credit card which help save some dollars on their shopping spree. I had this credit card for a long time and had no issues anytime while using it. It is pretty easy to get one with no fees. I never had any late payments and fees charged as well. Till the time you pay your bills, you are good. Kohl's also offer MVP status to their members who spend the specific amount of dollars, shopping in a year's time (I am forgetting the number). If you regularly shop at Kohl's and would like to save some money then get this credit card.

Great Card To Have

Comments about Kohls - Credit Card:

The Kohls credit card is one of my favorites. Applying for the card was very simple and I even got a discount off of my purchase. I was approved and my credit line was immediately set and the account was ready to use. I like having the card because Kohls is always having great sales and I never have to miss out because I don't have the extra cash to spend. I am more than satisfied with the fees for this card. They seem very fair and reasonable. The interest rate isn't too bad but I do still like to pay it off each month to save the extra few dollars. I like that I can send in my payment or pay it right in the store as I am shopping. The customer service has always been great with helping me to save more money with my account. They are always finding great deals that I am not aware off. Having the Kohls credit card has been great. I will most definitely keep using it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a card to help rebuild credit.