Other Online Degrees:
International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program

International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program

Pros

Cons

• I received a sample (9), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3)

Good value, great program for beginners!

When I considered entering the gemological field, I was seriously initimidated. It is a difficult field to break into, and many programs to become a certified gemologist are tens of thousands of dollars. I work full-time, and as I was unable at the time to travel to on-site lab classes, I decided to look at distance learning programs. ISG was recommended to me by a jeweler friend (I work in jewelry retail), and I did a lot of research before deciding. More than a year and a half into the program, I've found it to be informative, user-friendly, and a very good value considering I spent less than $3000 dollars on a full set of equipment and the entire coursework.

Although it may seem simplistic at times, sometimes you need a good teacher to break down complicated concepts into simpler terms. I feel that ISG is great for a beginning student, and would be perfect as a supplement to another course if you need the extra certification (GIA is considered industry-standard.)

Overall, a fun and interesting way to get acquainted with gemology!

International School of Gemology HORRIBLE

This "School" is simply a web pod and blog by an old fellow who hasn't worked in the jewelry business for decades. Things have changed in the world and he has NOT kept up. I asked true professionals who are successful in the jewelry appraisal business their opinion. All stated to avoid this hack. Its hard to undo his training than it is to get the correct training from the get go.
Understaffed
Underfunded
Lacks communication
Outdated information
No accreditation
School does not respect the jewelry industry
Industry does not respect this "school"
The weekly "online chats" are out of control "Hen Parties" Useless
States they are going to teach you how to run a business yet their own business keeps failing and is out of control (choose your mentors well folks) States he is "adjusting his sails to meet the wind" every other week, a red flag that something is really, really wrong.

I made the mistake of choosing this "misadventure into gemology" Lots of time and money wasted.

Class Selection
They carbon copied the class listings from genuine schools.

Teaching Quality
Outdated information from the 1980's. This is the 21st century and things have changed

Financial Aid
No hope of financial aid due to not being accredited

Accreditation
Owner refuses to allow any agency to review his program. RED FLAG

Inspirational

from Rhode Island

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

Robert's attitude in the videos is fun and inspirational. He makes this study even more interesting and fun.

Best Program, Best Teacher, Best Gemology School

from Boston, MA

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I found the ISG after experiencing problems with the lack of courses or instructors at the International Gem Society. The ISG offered a great program of courses and an instructor that is the best at helping new students understand what can be technical issues. Mr. James has a huge knowledge of the industry and is very helpful. I recommend the ISG to others like me who are just getting started.

A very detailed course

from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I like the fact that the course was very detailed and in line with the industry. Nothing was skipped and always made it a point to explain that our training of the diamond industry will always be ongoing and doesn't start and stop with this course.

GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN GEMOLOGY

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

Thank you so much for the opportunity to learn at ISG. Gemstones are my passion, I am a artist who works with gemstones and precious metal. So when presented with the opportunity to learn from you about the thing I am most passionate about was really something I could not pass up on. I hope one day to make it to Texas to meet you along with seeing the new museum. Thank you once again for your flattering email and in fact I cried once I read it. I never felt so good about anything I have done in my life to date. I cared so much about succeeding at ISG and doing the best I could. I wish you all the best along with all your future endeavors.

THE BEST EDUCATIONAL SCHOOL TO LEARN GEMOLOGY

from London, UK

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

Thank you so much for all you've taught me, and all you will teach me! I just changed careers and got a job with Sterling Jewelers! They were very excited that I was getting my RGA. That was one of the reasons for me getting this job, and I owe it all to you and the ISG! You truly have changed my life! thank you again.

Sincerely, Albert M.

Wonderful Education Opportunity in Gemology and Appraisal

from Baltimore, MD

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

As an ISG Registered Gemologist Appraiser I found this program to be a wonderful education opportunity in gemology and appraisal. Mr. James was very clear in the requirements of the program for tools and equipment, and the practicals package where the ISG sent diamonds, colored gemstones, created and treated gemstones and pearls to me for grading gave me an excellent opportunity to get hand's-on experience. I now work for a local jewelry store as a jewelry appraiser thanks to my ISG education.

Very Happy with the ISG courses!

from Southwest Washington State

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I chose to take the ISG Registered Gemologist program as it was very priceworthy and would allow me to get a good "feel" for Gemology without spending upwards of ten grand only to find out that this isn't something that I want to pursue.
I never regretted my decision, and was so pleased with the RG courses that I enrolled in the Registered Gemologist Appraisal study program, which I am now finishing up.
The course material is very good. Understand that a lot of ground is covered: By necessity, you don't go into the depth that other venues might, and it's left to you to continue your studies.
This isn't an issue if you are truly MOTIVATED to learn the material. You are encouraged to use your education at the ISG as a stepping stone to learn more. This isn't a destination, but a stop on the grand journey of greater knowledge. I'm already planning on courses beyond the ISG once I have earned my RGA.
I refute the review from Dorian M: I believe it is spurious. If he was a real student, he would know that Robert James is quite clear in the course material as to the equipment that you need, and what you DON'T need.
Of course the school doesn't supply gem stones! If the school did this, the prices that need to be charged would go up through the ceiling.
Again, if you are truly MOTIVATED, you'll find your own reference stones like many of us do. Robert James mentions how for practice, he bought at least one of every type of stone that he might encounter for the British Gem A exam.
A small set of gems was supplied with the optional equipment package that I bought from the ISG.
I supplemented them with odd lots of unidentified gemstones from Ebay.
Also, I was blessed with a friend whose hobby is to buy gemstones, including many unknown lots of stones, which I've had a ball successfully identifying.
Between all of this, I have gotten substantial practice at identifying stones.
I would gladly recommend the ISG courses!

Do NOT waste your time or money on this Internet "School"

from New jersey

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I am a former student who was sadly sucked into the "Affordable Hype" ads. Wonderful free site if you are 13 years old and want to learn about rocks as a hobby. This "degree" only brings blank stares from actual professionals in the industry. When I show my card to potential employers it brings a wide range of remarks. Either a polite little smile followed by silence, or remarks such as "We only accept graduates of actual gemological schools" Currently this school is in process of restructuring again. My feeling is that it is in process of shutting down. Read their website and pull off any free information, but DO NOT put your hard earned dollars into buying into this fabricated "degree" The person who runs the site is pushing his followers to write "Great reviews" everywhere. In my heart of hearts I just can't perpetuate the fantasy.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Avoid this at all costs!

from Oklahoma City, OK

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I'm working on changing my profession to gemology or a similar field. My previous education includes a BA Degree. I am only writing this review in hopes of preventing anyone else from following my mistake. I am further encouraged to write this review because of the high number of "over-favorable" reviews, obviously generated by design. The ISG is a big waste of money. Here are the main reasons: 1: They don't tell you the actual equipment you will need for the course - and to pass the exams. This is misleading. 2: They don't supply gemstones during the course work for practice. Most professional gemologists will tell you it takes several hundred gemstones to hone your skills before you are ready to take a final test. This requires an additional cost (not disclosed) to buy practice stones. 3: There is little or no feedback during the coursework. This program is run by a single person who is obviously busy with other non-school projects. Many inquiries go unanswered. The bottom line to to find a school that does not just take your money.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Outstanding School

from Texas

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I am currently a student, completing the Registered Gemologist (RG) program. The course work is demanding and the practical exams and finals are not something to take lightly. Although the course work is demanding, there is an amazing support system with the ISG and the other gemologist to help you along the way.