3.7

International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program

3.7

Pros

Cons

• I received a sample (11), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (4)

Good value, great program for beginners!

When I considered entering the gemological field, I was seriously initimidated. It is a difficult field to break into, and many programs to become a certified gemologist are tens of thousands of dollars. I work full-time, and as I was unable at the time to travel to on-site lab classes, I decided to look at distance learning programs. ISG was recommended to me by a jeweler friend (I work in jewelry retail), and I did a lot of research before deciding. More than a year and a half into the program, I've found it to be informative, user-friendly, and a very good value considering I spent less than $3000 dollars on a full set of equipment and the entire coursework.

Although it may seem simplistic at times, sometimes you need a good teacher to break down complicated concepts into simpler terms. I feel that ISG is great for a beginning student, and would be perfect as a supplement to another course if you need the extra certification (GIA is considered industry-standard.)

Overall, a fun and interesting way to get acquainted with gemology!

International School of Gemology HORRIBLE

This "School" is simply a web pod and blog by an old fellow who hasn't worked in the jewelry business for decades. Things have changed in the world and he has NOT kept up. I asked true professionals who are successful in the jewelry appraisal business their opinion. All stated to avoid this hack. Its hard to undo his training than it is to get the correct training from the get go.
Understaffed
Underfunded
Lacks communication
Outdated information
No accreditation
School does not respect the jewelry industry
Industry does not respect this "school"
The weekly "online chats" are out of control "Hen Parties" Useless
States they are going to teach you how to run a business yet their own business keeps failing and is out of control (choose your mentors well folks) States he is "adjusting his sails to meet the wind" every other week, a red flag that something is really, really wrong.

I made the mistake of choosing this "misadventure into gemology" Lots of time and money wasted.

Class Selection
They carbon copied the class listings from genuine schools.

Teaching Quality
Outdated information from the 1980's. This is the 21st century and things have changed

Financial Aid
No hope of financial aid due to not being accredited

Accreditation
Owner refuses to allow any agency to review his program. RED FLAG

Look Elsewhere

from Columbus, OH

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I wish I could write a better review, but this school is not run well at all. It seems like the systems are always crashing, and it seems like there is no money. We once had a video we could watch to see what is going on with the school, but like everything else, the computer crashed and now something is in the works to seek out donations to get a new computer. I think this school has great potential, but it seems like the people that run it don't know what they are doing.

IIJA is Great Organization Making a Difference in My Life

from Boston, MA

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

As a Registered Gemologist Appraiser of the IIJA I can say that their program is outstanding and is making a difference in my life. I am now working in the jewelry industry as an appraiser for a local jewelry store, and the education and experience I received was the finest in the industry.

I read these nasty reviews from these people here and found they either never attended the IIJA, or else are competitors just going around posting fake attacks on this great school. After doing my own research I found that the organization previously known as the ISG helped stopped a major fraud in the industry, and the people responsible are still going around attacking Mr. James and the entire program. These people are posting fake reviews just to get revenge.

I completely love the program. I love the IIJA group of fellow graduates, and I am very thankful to have found this great organization.

Insurance Institute of Jewelry Appraisal (IIJA) FORMER ISG

from Tampa, FL

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

Now known as Insurance Institute of Jewelry Appraisal (IIJA). Ironically this School was failing due to funding and low registration rates, but somehow almost overnight funds became available to change the name of the school. Soon, both the IRS and the Secretary of State of Texas will be called in to review the books of this school if they haven't already.

The current President has taken funding from his students, purchased equipment to be used for educational purposes, converted to a non-profit, and has been using this "educational equipment" for profit after opening his own jewelry appraisal business and his "board member's" appraisals business has profited from this equipment as well.

If you haven't started with this school, don't. If you have, the opportunity to recover losses will not be easy, but the process will begin soon.

This "Fake School" is now closing and switching name RUN

from new jersey

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

For months this "School" has been dwindling in its effort to provide services as advertised. Students were left high and dry, no communication. Fees were demanded on a regular basis but NO SERVICES provided. Students are currently organizing in an attempt to get their money back.
Would I advise a friend to use these services? NO.
Does this school offer financial aid? They are not accredited. This school does not qualify to offer financial aid.
Will this school be in existence in 2018? They are in process of closing down. One last effort to draw in new "students" by changing their name and website. Do your due diligence before throwing your hard earned dollars at this one.
This kind of shady behavior is what makes the Internet look BAD. SHAME ON THE ISG or whatever they are called today

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Better than the GIA. I love the ISG

from Seattle, WA

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I am so thrilled and happy to have received my RGA from the ISG. I pray and only hope for the massive growth of your incredible organization. When I started GIA in 1978 the program was nothing in comparison to what you have offered. It is a shame that so many people are unaware of what wonderful things your program offers not just from the standpoint of earning a diploma; also from all of the information you've let us with which is an appreciated flood. I still look forward to one day meeting and or working with you in the future. I look forward to you starting an alumni Association as well.

Angry Student

from Midwest USA

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

After enrolling in this school, I now realize that once I complete this coursework this school will be closing the doors. Basically, my certs will be absolutely worthless and this has been an enormous waste of money and time. The guy that ran the school named Robert James, abandoned ship and left behind some lady that is obviously trying to keep the ship afloat since her certifications will soon be worthless. I see a lawsuit in the very near future for this school and the guy that left everyone high and dry and I will be looking to recover my losses.

Don't fall into the same trap I and many others did.

What?

from Mid West USA

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I just found out that by the time I complete my courses, this school is going out of business. The guy that runs this school has already disappeared and probably took whatever is left with him. I hope a class action lawsuit comes from this because all my money is lost! I will never be able to get a job because my certificate of completion is going to be absolutely worthless.

Save Yourself and RUN!

from Seattle

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

Do not walk away, run away. This school has been and will always be the laughing stock of the industry. When doing a search of the International School of Gemology, you will find that unlike this website, the good reviews are from websites directly linked to the International school of Gemology. There is a website dedicated to exposing the ISG for what it is really about. It will show actual emails and forum posts by the guy of charge of this school showing that he is incapable of being a professional, which makes this school look equally unprofessional. A quick Google search should link you directly to the website and just seeing what is exposed should keep you away.

Save your money because a degree from this school is worthless and NOBODY in the industry will ever take you serious, especially if the are familiar with the school owner and his reputation within this industry.

Avoid at all cost

from Wilmington, NC

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

I considered the ISG and after looking into it and realized it is not a real school. If you dona search you will see this "school' is plagued with problems. Go to a real school if you want to be a gemologist, this school is good if you want to be a rock-hound.

Inspirational

from Rhode Island

Comments about International School of Gemology - Gemologist Appraiser Program:

Robert's attitude in the videos is fun and inspirational. He makes this study even more interesting and fun.