2.8

2.8

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Just got this and SO excited about it!!

I just got this new vacuum and I am SO excited by it!  I could NOT believe that it came PRE-ASSEMBLED and was ready to work out of the box!
Read complete review

THEN I tried it out - you attach the hose to the bottom of the vac and make sure to turn till it's tight - then select the carpet height and push ON!

It even has a TURBO power boost button.. AND it has a HUSH button, which really you don't need because this is the QUIETEST vacuum I've ever owned!

It runs like it is self-propelled, EASY to maneuver.  LOVE the onboard tools.

It sucks things up like a cyclone in the catch cylinder and all you pet lovers will be AMAZED, just AMAZED at the amount of PET HAIR it sucks up the first time you use it! Man, my old vac must have been TERRIBLE to have left all that it picked up!

I was a confirmed Bissell user, but am now converted.  Hoover for me from now on!

Hoover EmPower Vacuum is a Clunker

I guess I should start with the basics of this very standard vacuum cleaner.  The **Hoover EmPower Bagless Upright Vacuum** has an average list of features; none of which work particularly well.   The 12-Amp motor picks up the usual amount of dirt and dust, but is less effective on pet hair or embedded bits and pieces.  I do a lot of bending and picking up leftover bits from the carpet.  The 3-mode power feature - Standard, Hush, and Power Boost - seem to make little difference in actual performance.  The flexible hose and 14-inch extender are cumbersome to use - particularly on the stairs - because there is no comfortable way to hold onto the base as you move up and down the staircase. It's very awkward.   In addition, the hose sometimes comes loose as you're vacuuming because it can't be locked into place.  Another issue I have with the vacuum is that the lever used to adjust the machine to the carpet's height is incredibly clunky and difficult to move from position to position.

On the plus side, the handle folds down for storage in my closet, where space is tight.  All vacuums are messy when it's time to dispose of the dirt, but I do appreciate the convenience of a bagless vacuum.  The canister is easy to remove, although the filter itself is a challenge to clean.  However, I can empty out the contents after each use.  By emptying the canister after each use, I start out with a fresh vacuum for peak performance.  As far as the attachments are concerned, there is one brush attachment that I use constantly because it has rolling teeth on it that clean better than the other 2 tools that come with it.

I've been using the **Hoover EmPower Bagless Upright Vacuum** for some time now, and I'm really not impressed with it.  I mean, it's better than nothing, but it's certainly not better than average.  If I had it do all over again, I'd opt for something else.

Horrible vacuum

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

This vacuum is probably the worst and cheapest vacuum available on the market today.

Maneuverability
Can I move the vacuum in a straight line back-and-forth, yes. Can I turn around, change directions, get all funky with it, no! Unless you're vacuuming a straight line or a hallway this thing is chunky and is not fun to use at all.

Ease of Maintenance
Maintaining this vacuum is just like maintaining any other vacuum. You still have to clean out the roller brush, you still have to clean out the hose, you still have to clean out the canister and the filter.

Suction Performance
I think if I attached a hose to my mouth and sucked it would suction better than this vacuum. Yes, it does get the items you can see with your eyes but it doesn't get the little speck items you can't see with your eyes or the items that get into the fibers of the carpet.

Compared to my Dirt Devil Vision it's kind of designed about the same, but the hose design is not and it is so much harder to clean this hose. Plus it's really heavy and bulky.

This vacuum feels cheap, this vacuum looks cheap, and I can't see this vacuum lasting even a year. Oh wait, it didn't even last year! I expect my vacuums to last me about five years.

• Versatility:

This vacuum is a reliable and affordable option.

from Lexington, MO

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

There is nothing too fancy about this vacuum, and I am sure there are better vacuums out there, but not for an affordable price. I am very pleased with how well this vacuum has performed over the past four years. It is bagless and the dirt collection container is very easy to empty and even wash out. You have to make sure the filter gets shaken out and maybe replaced every so often to keep the vacuum at peak performance. I like the clear mid-section because it makes it very easy to see when you need to open it up and empty it out. It has a power-boost setting on the handle which I usually keep on all the time because it seems to really dig down into the carpet and clean well. It comes with a variety of attachments which work great too. It has a quiet setting on it too, which doesn't make a huge difference, but it helps if you have kids sleeping or such. Overall I would recommend this vacuum, you can't beat it in the affordable category.

Decent, but not great.

from Chapel Hill, NC

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

We received this vacuum as a wedding gift in 2007. It is 2013 and we are still using it, so that has to say something. However, it is not the best vacuum in the world. Initially it had great suction, but over the years it has gotten less and less and we end up hand picking up dog hair and lint, immediately after vacuuming. I do appreciate the fact that it is bagless, but because of this, the cleaning up lint and dirt part is not easy. There are lots of parts, and it is so messy I have to go outside to shake out the filter because there is no way you could just dump it into the garbage without getting dust and lint everywhere. It is also hard to remember how to reassemble it once it has been taken apart. It's been good to us, but we will probably be moving on soon.

• Versatility:

Works okay for quick cleaning jobs on carpet.

from Portland, OR

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

The Hoover EmPower is a decent vacuum with some good and some bad points. It works well on my carpet and is fairly easy to clean. We've had ours for four years and it has served us pretty well overall.

Ease of Maintenance
The filter and belt are easy to change. If you are vacuuming long hair, it tends to get wrapped around the brush. Cleaning this out thoroughly can take a bit of time and effort, but can be done. Cleaning out the dirt cup is fairly easy, but very messy. That's one drawback to a bagless system, guess. The filter takes a bit of time to clean, but tapping it on something and using an old toothbrush can help get dust out of the grooves. Again, very messy so it's best if you clean it outside.

Suction Performance
Suction depends on the surface that is being vacuumed. It works well on our carpet, but not so well on the tile. The floor selector doesn't seem to help much, if at all. On the tile, the air forced out of the vacuum blows the dirt and dust around before it is able pull it into the vacuum. I just use the wand attachments and even though it takes quite a bit more time, it works much better.

As far a design, the floor selector doesn't seem to make much difference in its ability to suction on different surfaces. The hose doesn't get latched down in any way when not in use, so if you don't get it put on just right, it can flip up and off of the vacuum as you are using it.

The only thing that I can think of about its durability is the plastic holding the wands. The pieces are very lightweight and easily broken with normal use.

Disposable Vacuum

from Salisbury, NC

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

Initially I attracted to this reasonably priced vacuum, but now I see that you get what you pay for. Suction is gone, tubing is easily clogged, as are filters. Instead of picking up dirt I feel like I am spreading it around and creating more dust. Consider this disposable as it surely has not lasted long term.

Total crap.

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

If you ever have to use this thing on a hardwood floor, I'm sorry.

Maneuverability
Horribly awkward.

Suction Performance
The considerable dirt it does not suck up gets blown around by the exhaust pipe and pushed about the floor. Incredibly annoying.

• Versatility:

It does not live up to the Hoover name

from Denver, CO

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

I bought an empower(does not say 4600 on vacuum) about 2 or 3 yrs. ago. It stopped being "self-propelled" after about 6mos. It does not pick up anything small or cat hair. I have put in new filters and clean it and empty canister after every use. I will not buy a bagless again, not even another brand. I think bagged works better. This has been the worst vacuum I have ever owned. Hoover is a big brand name and I do not blame the co. but I think bagless is not perfected yet. I have looked in the hose and see no clog. I have checked the roller and belt, no problems. Hose has good suction.

its ok

from Bryan, TX

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

I like this vacuum cleaner because it's small and picks up dirt.  That about it.  I don't like this vacuum cleaner because when the filter gets really dirty you have to replace it.  When you have to empty out the dirt you get your hands really dirty.  The knob is really hard to turn.  I have to put rubber gloves on, just to turn the knob.  Its really hard to unclog the hose.  We had to get a wire hanger and make it straight just to stick it into the hose to get it unclogged.  The one mistake that one of my co-workers decide to do, was to wash the filter, will it got it cleaned but then it got really nasty.  We had to throw it away and buy an new filter.

Hoover EmPower is a great vacuum for the price!

from Sterling Heights, MI

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

It's no Dyson...that's a given. For the budget concious consumer and for the people who want a good, solid bagless vacuum, this is a great deal. It might miss a piece of lint every now and then, but it does a great job of picking up my post-baby shedding hair and almost all the dirt, lint and random sidewalk salt that we brought in over the winter months. It does a great job of cleaning. It's easy to maneuver and the turbo function is great. I like the long cord and the attachments that it comes with, they make cleaning anything very simple. Sometimes the bagless container is messy to open and dispose the dirt/debris out of it, but it's a minor concern or inconvenience. I trust the long-standing Hoover name and it's quality for our home.

HAS NEVER WORKED GREAT

from Portland, OR

Comments about Hoover Turbo 4600 EmPower Bagless Vacuum:

We got this vacuum because it wasn't too expensive. We should have paid more and gotten a better vacuum. It doesn't have very good sucking power as a vacuum and the hose attachment doesn't suck very well either. It has all these cool settings that really don't change the affectiveness of the vacuum. There is a HUSH setting but honestly it doesn't change the sound of the vacuum. It doesn't come with any attachment tools for the hose that helps you to get in small areas, this makes it hard to get your carpet completely clean. It is light and easy to carry and it has a great handle for carring up stairs. It doesn't require a bag and the tall handle clicks down for storing in small places. There is a light in the front of the vacuum that helps you see better infront of you.  But overall we've had such a problem with having to go around and pick up peices of lint and such after we vacuum, you mind as well just purchased another vacuum.