Other Vacuums:

Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

This SteamVac is so great I can't stop cleaning my rugs

The Hoover SpinScrub Steam Cleaner lives up to the hype.

The Hoover SpinScrub Steam Cleaner lives up to the hype.

I borrowed a couple of steam cleaners before buying this one.  They just didn't live up to the job.   The five spin brushes really do a great cleaning job.  The optional spin brush upholstry tool works great.

My stairs were really filthy and matted down.  After the first cleaning I saw a marked improvement.  After the second cleaning the carpet looks less matted and the carpet is really clean.   It does take some time and muscle to suck out the water, plus the over spray makes it necessary to redo the areas already clean to remove the excess water.

The steam cleaner unit isn't too heavy and doesn't over wet the carpet when cleaning.  It really sucks up most of the solution it puts down and the carpet dries very quickly.  It cleaned most of the stains that had been on my carpet for years.  I did not pre treat so that may have been my problem on the stains it did not remove.

Overall this is a great cleaner that I would highly recommend.

"Steamvac" that doesn't actually have steam!

In the course of my travels I have had the opportunity to use a wide variety of carpet cleaner/shampoo machines. I have used a good many professional truck-mounted one and professional portable machines to the rental units, usually bissells, to the home-use models. Basically, the only machines that do a proper job are the truck mounted ones with actually steam and suction provided by a gasoline powered motor. Any thing else is pretty much sub-par. But, living in the real world we cannot all own a carpet cleaning van so I did buy this model without a whole lot or research as it was on sale. Basically it does a fair job for maintaining a fairly clean carpet. Does well on fresh spills and fresh spills. It was worth the money I paid for it but the name "Steamvac" was a little misleading. Which I only came to fine out when putting it together at home. There is no steam. you fillthe clean water tank with hot water and add a cleaning solution. There is not heating unit to provide steam. (Which is the most important thing with professional equipment) All in all though even the professional portable units don't work all that well. This unit does compete with any portable unit out there though so. . . bottom line it is good for what it is just dont expect what you get when you pay a company to come in and steam clean your carpet.

Good cheap carpet cleaner

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

I have owned the Hoover SteamVac Carpet Washer with Clean Surge for several years now and it's probably the best washer in its price range. I purchase this washer to clean my carpet. I was able to put this device together fairly quickly. I was also able to operate this machine without looking at the manual. I filled the clean tank with warm water and began to clean the carpet. I initially went over the floor too fast and it didn't do a good job of cleaning. Once I slowed down my washing movements things started to go better. There was a little water leakage from the clean water tank, but that was because I didn't have it completely in place. Once I adjusted the tank everything went smoothly. I was able to clean my carpet in 30 minutes and the results were good. I definitely would recommend the Hoover SteamVac Carpet Washer with Clean Surge to anyone looking for a cheap carpet washer that delivers good results.

Good Cleaner

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

I have had this hoover steam vacuum with clean surge carpet washer for a few years now. It does the job it is intended to do. We have used it more for sucking the water out of the carpet in our basement after heavy rains when the basement floods. (Fortunately that issue has been solved and we only use this as a carpet cleaner now).

Maneuverability
It is fairly easy to use. I haven't had any problems. The power cord is long enough to reach places easily.

Ease of Maintenance
I haven't had to do any major maintenance.

Suction Performance
Gets the floor dry enough.

Versatility
We use it both for carpet cleaning and cleaning up water messes. It was a nice thing to have when we needed to clean up several gallons of water. It gets the carpet dry enough that a fan will do the rest in a few hours. To boot, we had zero mold growth underneath (we checked a few days and a few months later by simply pulling up the carpet - it is taped down as it is the type with the pad attached).

It is a decent design. The water bucket comes out fairly easily. It can get confusing when putting it back in as to what is the front and what is the back. Labels printed in the plastic could easily fix this.

I had to replace my first one after only about six months owning it. It quit sucking up any water. Hopefully it was just a fluke. We haven't had any trouble with the second one.

• Versatility:

I have a Hoover SteamVac Carpet Washer.

from Muskegon, MI

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

I own a Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer. I purchased it approximately 4 years, ago, and love the usefulness it has given me to help keep my carpet clean and deodorized. I usually clean my carpets twice a year and my Hoover SteamVac deep cleans to help remove the dirt and dust. It takes a lot of water for use because a full tank only cleans a small area good before having to replace the tank with fresh water and empty the dirty water tank. But I don't mind all the trips to the bathroom for more water because it's cheaper than hiring a carpet cleaning company. When I first purchased my Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer, I didn't think that it would perform up to my expectations, but it extracts really well and I love it.

Maneuverability
It doesn't have all the twist and turns like a Dyson, but it maneuvers fairly well.

Ease of Maintenance
I've only had to empty the tanks and rinse when i'm done.

Suction Performance
It has great suction power and extracts most of the water from my carpet.

Versatility
It works well on all the carpet types I have used it on.

I like the design because it relates to most carpet cleaners.

It has given me 4+ years of service.

Wonderful!

from Drakesboro, Ky

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

I love that this is available for purchase! I like my carpets to always look clean and new and you can spend a small fortune renting steam cleaners from the store. I started looking into buying one for the house and saw hoover had one out. I have always admired the quality of Hoover products so I splurged on it and am glad I did! The Hoover Steamvac cleans just as well as the expensive brands to rent from the store and it is not as heavy! It is not the most lightweight product on the market once you get all the water and shampoo in it, but it is easier to handle than the rental kinds, saving my back when I steam clean the carpets. Thanks to Hoover I can now have showroom quality carpets all the time!

Maneuverability
It works great but it cannot turn on a dime, which is to be expected with this time of machine.

Ease of Maintenance
It is very easy to use and handle. I am very happy with not having to deal with a huge hassle to clean my carpets.

Suction Performance
I was absolutely amazed at how much the Hoover SteamVac pulled up out of my carpets. It was embarrassing how much dirt and grime was hidden in my carpets.

Versatility
It does the job it was intended to do.

The design of this product makes it easy to use and it performs better than I thought an at home version would work.

This machine seems to be very durable. It lasted through a fall down the stairs when my dog bumped it too hard. If it can pass that kind of test, I think it is safe to say it passes with flying colours on durability.

great buy!!!!

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

As soon as I saw the SteamVac in the store on display, I knew it was right for me! It is atheistically pleasing and is easy to operate for someone at any age.

Maneuverability
The SteamVac swivels like a Pro! I have never used a more maneuverable machine. Now I can reach places that an ordinary vacuum wouldn't be able to.

Ease of Maintenance
the SteamVac bag is larger than most and therefore I don't have to clean it out very often with is perfect because I'm always in a hurry.

Suction Performance
I cannot stress enough how well if performs! I'm a stay at home mother of two very active 6 year old twin boys that always seem to have muddy boots. With my new SteamVac, it is not a problem. it sucks it right up with no residue or stain left behind.

Versatility
The SteamVac is very versatile and comes equipped with a multitude of attachments. everything you need comes with the standard package.

The design is modern but has somewhat of a traditional flair to it. I like it but it wouldn;t hurt if it was more sleek looking.

it's a little heavy and therefore very durable. I've dropped it down the stairs a few times and it's perfectly fine.

• Versatility:

Beats paying for carpet cleaning.

Profile Image

from Troy NY

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

I purchased the Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer after becoming tired of paying for carpet cleaning. While it does work out to be a much more cost effective option, it can be a little tricky to get the hang of. The first time I used it, my carpets did not get as clean as they would have if I had paid a professional, but after my third or fourth use (and with the help of some pre-treatment solutions), my carpets now look brand new when I clean them. I would advise anyone who is considering this as a cost effective option, that it is a more time-consuming option, so don't think you'll be able to clean your carpets quicker AND cheaper. But I am happy spending less money! I would advise trying it out on a smaller room to get the hang of it before tackling all of your carpets, and reading the manual to understand that you understand just what each part of the steam cleaner does (this will lead to less confusion than I had!).

Hoover Got it Right

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

Since it's introduction in 1994. the Hoover Steamvac has been the best household carpet cleaner on the market. The spin scrub brushes clean better and more gently than the rest, the two tank system is simple, there is no water pump to break, and the price can not be beat. I have used Steamvacs for years to clean my carpeting, and with the right chemicals, have had nothing but fantastic results. Still not as great a professional cleaning, but quite close and much cheaper.

I've used Bissells, Dirtdevils, Rug Doctors and many other Hoovers and this model is second to none.

Maneuverability
You have to push a gallon of water around in the tanks, which can get tiresome, but the Steamvac still fairly easy to use.

Suction Performance
Don't expect truck-mount suction, or even what your upright provides. The tank doesn't provide much room for airflow, but the suction is more than what is necessary.

Versatility
The hose takes care of what the base can't. You will need a more portable machine for stair cleaning however.

The best since 1994

With good care, these last quite awhile. The newer Mexican made models are built cheaper than the old USA-bulit models, but expect at least 5 years if not more with regular use. I've been using mine since 2004; 10 years is impressive for a carpet cleaner!

There is no water pump to break in this Hoover. All that could possibly fail is the motor.

• Versatility:

Very good cleaner for us

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

We have 5 dogs and live in the country. This rug shampooer has worked very well for us to get rid of accidents, dirt, etc. that all the "kids" bring it. We blame ALL the dirt on the dogs!! Of course, the food we spill doesn't help but after using this rug shampooer the rug seems fresh and new again.

Ease of Maintenance
I only rate it a 7 because we personally have to remove a lot of stuck hair when we use it because of the dogs.

• Versatility:

Great product for a great cost.

from Chula Vista, CA

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

I just got this and it works great! I love it!

Maneuverability
It is a big machine, it's bigger than my dyson vacuum, but considering it is a carpet shampoo machine, it is quite compact. It is easy enough to roll it to where you want to start using it, and once it's on it pushes back and forth easily.

Ease of Maintenance
It has a lot of parts that need to be cleaned, and I definitely want to keep this machine clean after I'm done using it to keep it working great for years to come. Definitely worth the work of maintenance.

Suction Performance
Excellent!! My carpet dried incredibly fast due to the suction. Being about to see the water go up, and moving it over the carpet until there is no water going up, combined with the forced heated air makes the carpet dry fast.

Versatility
The first time you use the hose can be complicated, but once you hook it up properly it should be easier to use after that. I wasn't sure I was doing it right, but just followed the manual as best as I could and was surprised when it worked!

Good cleaning - Super fast drying

from Indiana

Comments about Hoover SteamVac with Clean Surge Carpet Washer:

I just adopted a new puppy who has some abuse in her background, which has resulted in more accidents in the house than I care to acknowledge. I picked up this Hoover SteamVac on sale and was hoping it would work miracles on some of the tougher stains. In addition to pet stains we also had a fairly nasty grease stain; my husband is a drummer and put his pedal on the carpet without a rug. The pedal leaked grease in the center of the living room. Also needing to be cleaned: red wine stains, high traffic areas, and coffee stains.

The grease stains came out far better than I expected. They're not perfect but far better than before. The pet stains almost all came out. There's no smell left behind whatsoever, but there are a couple of shadows where a bad stain or two were before. High traffic areas all look great - no wear or stains. Coffee and red wine stains both came up after a pretreater.

I was completely impressed with how fast the carpet dried after using this machine. It was able to be walked on within an hour (30 minutes in some spots).

Maneuverability
This isn't particularly maneuverable, but no steam cleaner I've ever used it. It was easy enough to get under furniture and between legs.

Ease of Maintenance
Cleaning this up after using is really pretty easy. They include tools to help clean out the intake. There's a filter to catch most of the big carpet fuzz/pet hair inside the tanks. Everything comes apart easily to be rinsed out.

Suction Performance
I was very impressed with the suction on this machine, both on the carpet and using the hand tool. It left very little moisture behind and made drying very quick.

Versatility
I've used this on much more than carpets. I've done my car upholstery and carpets, all my furniture, my stairs, and my mattress. The only thing that it hasn't done very successfully are hard floors (which it promises to do well). I'd rather just use a mop when it comes to my hard floors.