Other Razors:

Gillette Fusion Razor

Pros

Cons

Five Blades to Shave Close and Comfortably

Shaving is one of the many annoying routines that become part of most men's daily lives. I shave either six or seven times per week and I am always on the lookout for new shaving products. One I am now using for the first time is the **Gillette Fusion**, a hand- held refillable razor. **Razor Commentary:** I have used this razor for a few weeks now and the results have been satisfying. My favorite quality of this razor is the thinness of the blades. With most other razors, the blades are greater in depth and facial hair ends up getting stuck between the blades, requiring constant rinsing to try to keep clean. But Gillette Fusion offers five very narrow blades. They are so narrow, in fact, that you can easily see through to the opposite side. Gillette's main reason for manufacturing the blade cartridge this way was to reduce pressure on the skin when shaving, but a side benefit is that there is no longer any worry about getting hair caught between the blades.  The trimming blade on the back side of Gillette Fusion is another interesting idea. This single blade is ideal for trimming hard to reach areas, like the area close to the nose. Because the main cartridge has five blades, it shaves a wide area and thus isn't the most practical for shaving the difficult to reach areas. Gillette solved this problem by attaching a single trimmer blade on the back side of the razor. It works effectively- I had no trouble reaching those small spaces on my face and there was no irritation at all. Gillette Fusion is a little heavier than most other razors- especially compared to disposable razors. But the added weight doesn't make it more cumbersome to use, like I thought it might. Rather, it adds to the razors durability and makes it next to impossible to break or damage. The blade cartridge is easy to change, too. All it takes is a slight push of the large blue button located directly underneath the cartridge.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Overall, Gillette Fusion is a very good razor and one I will continue to use. I was surprised when I found out this was a five blade razor (what is next? Will they skip six and head straight to ten blades?) but I was then pleasantly surprised by the thin design of the blades because it eliminates the problem of clogged cartridges. Fusion won't become my sole razor of choice, but it will remain on my list of potential razors to buy for the foreseeable future.

5 times the pain

Once upon a time, Gillette introduced the first twin razor, a disposable blade system which combined two blades in one cartridge. The famous commercial showed us how the first blade would pull the hair away from the face, then the second blade would crop it close. Sounds good, right? But it also sounds a little like pseudo-science. So much so that a then-young comedy show called ***Saturday Night*** did a sharp satire of the razor with a commercial parody introducing a 3-blade razor. Yes, we thought it was pretty funny. I haven't been able to look at a twin blade razor since without thinking about that ad, even though I had to admit the twin blade razors were more comfortable to use. It's now 30 years later, and Gillette has introduced the 5-blade Fusion. At this point, I'm starting to think they're pulling the wool over our eyes - or more accurately, the beards off our chins. I got a sample of the Fusion in the mail and had to try it. Though mockery was my first instinct, I have a thick beard and I'm always willing togive something a shot if I think it might give a better shave. Plus, I usually use an electric shaver, so I can't really laugh at just five blades when the rotors hold a lot more. Using a foaming gel and hot water I found the Fusion to be a bit more comfortable on my skin as the twin blade model, and gave me just as close a shave. So far so good. But when I tried it a second time a couple days later, it was a completely different story. Snagging one blade on your whiskers is painful, but the blades on the Fusion wear out so quickly that it meant five times the pain. ( I can only imagine the danger in the battery operated Fusion model.)

You don't expect premium quality steel from a disposable razor, but the Fusion makes it necessary to buy five new blades with every shave in order to avoid pain and bloodshed. At that rate, sticking to a twin blade doesn't sound like such a bad deal.

Great razor for a really smooth shave

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

I think these razors are a little more expensive than the ones I normally buy but it is well worth it. I bought the heads one day because they were all the store had. I've found that a lot of different brands of razors will still click into my razor handle. This one didn't, so unfortunately you have to buy the correct handle for it. I shaved with just holding the blade in my hand (I am a woman, so it was legs, armpits, etc. but my husband also used it on his face), and it was the smoothest, closest shave I have experienced in a long time. I can only imagine how great it would be if I actually had the handle. They seem to last for many shaves without getting too dull or clogged also.

So great!

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

I always use men's razors because I like the close shave that I can't seem to find with ladies ones. I've tried the Gillette Fusion Razor and I love the results! The blades give a sleek, close to the skin shave. I don't feel stubble for a day or two after, which is a huge plus! I only have to shave a day or two a week. I highly recommend these blades! The only problem is that they're very expensive.

Greatest razor I've ever used.

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

After years of using cheap disposable razors I purchased the Gillette Fusion Razor. I didn't really expect much because I believed that all razors basically did the same thing and that this razor only looked better. After using it I found that not only was it a more comfortable shave, but it gave me a very close shave. I always use the blade on the back to edge my beard and it's actually very convenient to have. I would also cut myself a lot with disposable razors but I've never experienced that with this razor. Shaving with this razor is also a lot faster than shaving with disposable razors. It seems to shave hair easier and you don't have to use multiple strokes just to make sure you got all of it. I'm very satisfied with the way this razor works. The only thing I don't really like is the price of the replacement cartridges. Other than that I have no complaints. I recommend this to anyone who has had a hard time with cheap disposable razors.

Close, but maybe too close

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

I've seen the Gillette Fusion used by many of my friends, so I thought that I would give it a try. I took a shower, lathered up, and started my shave. It was close and I didn't feel any hair, but I feel like it took off the top layer of my skin. Even after using a sensitive skin aftershave balm, my face was sore to the touch for the rest of the day. I don't think that little medicated strip on top of the blade cartridge really does anything.

I continued to use this razor over the course of a few weeks, as my beard doesn't grow very quickly. I used extra caution after that first shave and, though it didn't hurt as bad as the first time, my skin still had a bit of irritation. With each new shave, I could feel the blades becoming more and more dull. So, while shopping one day, I passed through the personal care section just to look at the price of the replacement cartridges. Holy cow! Way too much money! It was more then I spent for just the razor. That was it. I was done with the Gillette Fusion.

The only up-side that I found to this razor was on the back of the cartridge. I liked having the single blade there in order to do some trimming around my nose and eyebrows.

I would not recommend this product to others.

Not worth the hipe

from Milwaukee, WI

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

Sometime ago I wrote a rather uncomplimentary review of the Fusion razor. I questioned the need for five razor blades in one razor. I cited how difficult it was to clean the razor after its use. I commented that because it is hard to keep clean it goes dull very fast, which means you go through one of those very expensive five peace replacement cartridges equally as fast. The replacement cartriges are more expensive than the actual razor. I argued that you will get just a s close a shave with two or even one really sharp blade. I supported my arguement by mentioning the fact that the Pro's (Barbers) have only use one razor since men started shaving. I encourage readers to throw away their Fusion razors after they had used the last blade so they wouldn't be tempted to buy replacement cartriges. Alas, I failed to follow my own advice. I came across my old Fusion razor stashed in the back of the medicine chest. I bowed to temptation and purchased one of those very expensive replacement cartriges with the thought that maybe I was too hasty in my review. I just used the last replacement castridge. Nothing has changed. This is still a stupid over priced razor with overpriced replacement cartridges that shaves no closer than the two bladed razor I normally use. I have since followed my own advise and I have thrown my Fusion razor in the recycle bin in the hopes that it will get turned into someting really useful.

replacement blades now only last a week use to last a month

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

Gillette figured out their blades were too good and they werent selling enough---now the blades are cheap and only last a week---it was worth 15.00 before to buy replacement blades because they lasted a month---you made a great product junk---now I will go to another company

Best razor ever!!!!!

from Xenia, IL

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

I think this is the best razor ever and I am female!!! I have no problem with nicks, cuts or razor burn with this I never use gel or cream, just soap and I have wonderful results. better than any women's razor ever thought of being.

The best shaver I will ever use.

from dayton, TX

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

I love this razor. Yeah it's for men but I have course thick black hairs and I have to shave often so womens razors don't work and I have to buy to many. I bought this for my husband then I upgraded his to the trimmer set and kept his old handle and started using it myself now all are male friends three of our women friends and all the males in the family now use this razor. It's just a better one and I couldn't be happier with it. FYI ladies the trimmer blade at the top though made for side burns works great on the bikini area.

Zippin right along with a cool shave

from Bakersfield, CA

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

My son likes to use the Fusion razor,he likes it cause when he shaves it viberates as he wipes it all over his face.Myself a razor is a razor.But he likes it,and that is the main thing.He says he gets a cool shave

works well, but slightly expensive

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Gillette Fusion Razor:

I have been using Gillette fusion for some time now and have always found them to work as advertised. As someone who does not enjoy shaving everyday - leading to a pretty thick stubble - I have always wanted something which would work well and not leave too many nicks, cuts or bruises. Gillette Fusion has managed to do that well. The blades last fairly long (atleast 3-4 weeks if not more) and work well when used with cold or hot water. Using the regular shaving tips (hot water, cleaning the face prior to application of the soap, frequent rinsing of the face, short, uniform motion of the blade) seems to help to prolong the life of the blade. Its available pretty much everywhere - from your local grocery store to Walmarts. My local Rite-aid puts it on sale very often - so grab it whenever it comes at a cheaper price. The off-sale price is a little high - sometimes buying a new razor works out cheaper. Did not see any major difference between the battery operated and the normal versions of the product.