View more indoor grills sandwich makers

Other Indoor Grills & Sandwich Makers:
George Foreman
GR10AB
George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer

George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer

Pros

Cons

George Foreman Small Grill is Great for the Grilling Challenged

My sister, CyndiA, got me this George Foreman small grill a few years back. She's a grilling master and even has several web sites and has gotten into the big time with grilling. If you are looking for the best grill for the money, she's got the answer.

I'm grilling challenged. I can run all sorts of pumps in an ICU setting. When I was in high school, I could disassemble, reassemble, and shoot an M60 machine gun, among other weapons. Grilling is difficult for me. I have three small kids. I am always trying to get food on the table in a hurry. My kids love to touch everything. This grill was a great idea for a gift for me.

What I like about the **George Foreman GR10AB "The Champ" Sandwich Maker:**

- It's so easy to use--plug it in and it warms up in a jiffy. Put food on grill and close. Take food off when done. Simple.

- It cuts down on grilling time since it cooks on both sides.

- It's angled to let grease run off, which encourages healthier cooking.

- It has a bun warmer on top--actually I never make sandwiches with this. I mainly grill chicken, hot dogs, or hamburgers, but the bun warmer is a great use of space if you are warming bread.

- Clean-up is fairly simple provided you do it while the grill is still warm. If it cools, it's hard to clean. It's all one piece, so the grilling surfaces cannot be placed into water. If I forgot to clean mine while it's still hot, I've learned to just turn it back on for a few minutes and then unplug it and clean.

- It's small and easy to pack when traveling. I've taken this on several camping trips and it works great.

What I don't like about the **George Foreman GR10AB "The Champ" Sandwich Maker**:

- If you forget to put the drip tray down, you'll end up with a mess pretty quickly if making something that's greasy!

- I don't like to clean any grill--this one is a little hard to clean if cool.

- This probably doesn't count as "grilling" in some people's books, but I might be dangerous with charcoal right now.

**My Viewpoint:**

The **George Foreman GR10AB "The Champ" Sandwich Maker** is handy, grills quickly, and cleans easily when warm. I like the tilted design that allows grease to run off--always remember the drip tray! People who are grilling challenged like me may be able to make something grilled that actually tastes evenly cooked with this indoor mini grill. I believe they now make larger varieties and have models that the cooking surface can be removed for easier cleaning, but I still like my grill and plan to use it for years to come.

It's a GF grill, so you know it's good, but go for the nicer ver

I love George Forman grills. I mean, I really love them. They are so, SO easy to cook with. They cook well, they "get rid of the fat!" but keep the flavor. These things are lovely, lovely little machines. I would totally recommend this particular grill to a college student, single person, person just starting out on their own, a young married couple.... but for my family... I finally got rid of it! Let me explain why.

First of all... the bun warmer is ridiculous. My daughter kept messing with it (when it was off, of course! She's only 2) and eventually snapped it off. On the few occasions we did use it, it was really pretty pointless. It barely *fits* the buns in there, let alone warms them. The bottoms get kind-of warm, the top stays the way it is (because it is only the heated plate warming it, really). Just very pointless and makes the thing larger and more cumbersome than it would otherwise be.

Second, it's very small. It is meant pretty much for a couple or a single person. You can cook one burger on it at a time, *maybe* two if they are small. This just isn't practicle for cooking for more than one, *maybe* two people.

Third. It is a **pain to clean**! This could partially be my own fault. I don't like the idea of just wiping it down. Or worse, leaving it and just cooking on it next time. So I get into each little groovey, I wipe it down, then wash it (by hand of course, not under the water) with a soapy cloth, then go over again with a rinsed cloth, then a clean one. Yeah, I'm particular about it being clean. BUT, it's electric, it plugs in, you can't submerge it in water, nothing is removeable, so it pretty much *has* to be a pain to clean. There aren't any good options.

Finally, it does drip a lot and make a huge mess. We lost the drip tray some time ago (which doesn't help matters) and generally use a small plate, which works ok, but even with the drip tray or the plate, it can get nudged and moved or sometimes the fat drips to the very far sides and then doesn't make it into either of them anyway.

I **definitely** recommend the George Forman grills. I think they are wonderful. But, there are better options out there than this one. Ones with great features that are bigger and don't come with insanely useless bun warmers. This ia great, inexpensive option if you are cooking for one or two and don't want a large, expensive thing taking up space in your kitchen. Otherwise, look up the other models and see what will fit you better. But you can't go wrong with a George Forman grill (even if you do get this one!)

Ok, if I wasn't a bit of a neat-freak I would probably say this was "easy to clean" but simply wiping down the thing (which is what it says you can do) doesn't do it for me. I don't feel like it's clean enough if I cooked meat on there & just wiped down the surface. I have to get in all the little cracks & crevices & since it isn't dishwasher safe it's a bit of a hassle. Yeah, I'm spoiled with the dishwasher, but even regular dishes (pots, pans, anything) that are hand-washed are not this big of a pain. I hated cleaning this so much I eventually just gave it away. That & it's very small and with a growing family it no longer cooked the amount of food we needed in a reasonable time frame.

Good for those with small space

from Chesterton, IN

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

Before I begin, let's get one thing straight. Nothing beats the taste and quality of food you get from cooking on an actual grill (gas or charcoal). It's like comparing apples to carrots. Yes they are both food, but they are two different things. If you are expecting outdoor flame kissed grill quality with this, then look elsewhere but you aren't going to find it here. If you are looking for a quick way to make hot sandwiches and a no fuss burger, then this is for you.

My mom was given this for Christmas one year and it sat in her basement for a long time untouched. When I moved into a new apartment she found it and offered it to me and I gladly took it because I was on the third floor, had no balcony, and was not able to grill outdoors. This was the closest I could come to grilling.

The grill itself works great and I never had any issues from it. I've cooked burgers, sausages, and shishkabobs on it. It cooks food fast, thoroughly and pretty evenly. For round and squarish cuts of meat I had to turn it to get the sides cooked too but not a big deal. It doesn't heat TOO hot so you have a smaller chance of actually burning your food (unless you leave it on for way too long).

It's not the easiest to clean but not awful either. The hardest things to clean off of this are sugar based sauces such as teriyaki or BBQ sauce. The sugar in them caramelizes and get really stuck on. I usually have to run a paper towel soaked in water over it several times while still warm to get the majority of it off.

It is small and good for 1-2 people. I would not recommend if you have a family of 4-5 or are cooking for a large group of people.

Survived two moves and thorough use. The lid to the bun warmer at some point cracked because it's only made of plastic after all. That however does not effect the performance of the grill itself.

A Nice Grill

from MI

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

I bought this grill in college, and then - I used it all.the.time. Like - every meal, all the time. I made sandwiches on it, grilled chicken on it - everything you could think of. Now, it rarely gets used, unfortunately. The main problem is that now, it's just really too small for a family. It's good for a college kid who only has to cook for one person, but for a family of four, it's just not practical.

It it a nice option, though, if you want to quickly grill something, but to me, it now seems like more of a hassle to get the thing out, cook on it, clean it up and put it all away now. I'd probably rather just use the regular grill outside than deal with this.
The bun warmer feature is nice, but again, to get enough buns on there for four people just isn't going to happen.

So, it is a nice grill. It does a great job at grilling and getting the fat out. It does just what it should in a nice compact little unit. But, is it kind of a pain and a hassle now? Yes. I prefer to use the larger, outdoor grill over this now.

A bit of a hassle, but one trick I did find though, for clean up, is to get some wet paper towel and lay them across the hot plates immediately after grilling, put the top down and let the moisture from the wet paper towel loosen the gunk from the grill. Once it cools it all just wipes right off.

too small

from La Rue, OH

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

I have had the George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer for several years, but I rarely use it. When it was just my husband and I, we used this quite frequently. But now that we have children, it is much too small. It takes much too long to cook enough food with this to feed a family of five. So it has been sitting in my cabinet untouched for a few years now. I did love it when it was just my husband and I. The bun warmer was a very nice feature. It does cook food quickly and deliciously, it just does not cook enough of it because it is too small. It heats evenly and quickly. It is designed to drain the grease away from the meat (I used it primarily for hamburgers). And it was very easy to clean. It is very simple to use as well. If it were just a little bigger, I would probably use it all the time, but it isn't feaseable to cook for a family of five on this. I would recommend this for someone who lives alone, or possibly a family of two, but not for anyone who has children because it is way too small.

Inexpensive solution for one

from Lincoln, NE

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

If you are thinking of getting an indoor grill and you are a single person, this Foreman is fantastic! It is not very expensive at all, and SO very easy to use. I first got mine when I was in college and it is small, typically you can cook one thing at a time (burger, sandwich, burrito, etc) BUT if you really squeeze them, you can fit 2 small to medium sized burgers on the grill. I now have a husband and son, and believe it or not, we still haven't upgraded to a larger one! It heats up pretty fast, and you don't need a non-stick spray, so you can cook multiples consecutively fairly quickly. It rarely sticks to food, although I can't seem to get a thick onion slice to cook well inside. I cook burgers, brats, chicken burritos, quesadillas, and all sorts of other things in my Foreman and they come out perfect nearly every single time. And fast! The bun warmer top piece is kind of silly, ours is broken but still gets sort of hot to the touch. Also, we lost the drip tray so have a makeshift one from a lid. It's worth the money, though. Cleaning it is usually as simple as a wipe down after each use, but every so often, it needs a really thorough cleaning and that can be tough because grease gets stuck on the outside and top and you can't really soak it in the sink because of the cord.

Healthy cooking. Love it.

from Troy, MI

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

We have been using our George Foreman grill for over three years. Before trying tried this indoor grill, we thought that the meat would be dry and would not be able to make a thick hamburger as we love. We were really wrong on this. The price is not expensive. The grill is sized properly for sitting on the counter. This is not a family size grill but good for cooking a two person meal. A bigger size is available. Simply marinate your thick hamburger patties (no need to be as thin as fast food chain hamburger but a good thick sport bars style), warm up the grill, place two patties on the grill, close the lid, and wait for the juicy meat. It comes with a grease dripping pan to hold all the grease coming from the meat. Even we typically use lean meat, the grease caught by the dripping pan makes you scare. The cooking will not get rid of all the grease in the meat but will reduce significantly. It is definitely a healthy cooking. The remaining grease in the meat keeps the meat tasty. The top cover can hold and warm up two hamburger buns. It will not come out like as dry as from a toaster. Love it. We have also used it for grilling chicken, steak, pork chop, etc. They all come out pretty good. The non-stick surface makes cleaning a piece of cake. We usually let the grease cool down and scrape it off the pan to the trash can. Does the meat come out as good as a real outdoor grill? Not really but definitely way better than acceptable. The outside housing is all plastic but we have not had any damage for all these years of usage. This is definitely a good and healthy buy for us. We recommend it.

George Foreman Grill-works great

from Auburn, WA

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

The George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer is a very handy tool to have in the kitchen. Although it is way too small on a lot of occasions I do find myself using it quite often. I use it to cook Bratworst for my husband and they turn out very nice. I also like it to cook chicken when I only need a few chicken breasts and for cooking hamburgers. Although it's not a panini maker I find that it does a good job of making panini sandwiches. The bun warmer was really nice, but the lid on mine broke so I am no longer able to use it. I love that this grill comes with a scraper and a thing to catch all of the grease. Cleaning it is pretty easy. I really like this product because it allows the grease to drain instead of making a puddle for your food to sit in. It makes me feel like my food is just a little healthier. This product is compact enough that I can leave it on my counter if I need to without it taking up too much space.

It's okay

from Lanham, MD

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

I got this grill thinking it would be a great addition to my kitchen. I am a gadget lover, and I couldn't resist this, thinking it would open up a whole new cooking field for me. Well, I just never found much use for it. burgers are okay, but I much prefer them from the broiler than what I got from this. I don't know why, but they just tasted better. I tried cooking our boneless, skinless chicken breasts on this and also found it less than satisfactory. It isn't that the grill doesn't work well, I just didn't find the products to be as tasty as I thought. I am giving it to my neighbor who says she would love to have one of these. I hope it finds a more loving home in her house. :-(

It does the job it's supposed to do. Just not up to my tastes.

I didn't use it enough to really judge this aspect. I think it would hold up, but I don't know.

Cleans easily enough.

Not too much to do.

Useful, compact, easy to clean

from Boston, MA

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

This grill is very easy to use - heats up fast, cleans easily with just a soft cloth, cooks up burger buns and the burger/veggies simultaneously making for a fast meal. stores away compactly. all-in-all, it is a great choice for small apartment spaces, because you can use it to grill vegetables or burgers alike. and the bun warmer is effectively a griddle - we used it with buttered bread just fine. so, griddle and grill in one. and the grill part opens up so you can lay it out flat to have more grilling space if you need. the drip tray is very useful, because beef burgers do send a lot of liquid fat pooling into that tray. but the little plastic spatula thing is pretty pointless.

A well thoughtout Foreman product.

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

The George Foreman Champ Grill is a lot like the other Foreman products because does a great job cooking foods and fits well in a small apartment as well. I also like this grill because it has a nice small touch to it that lets it toast buns up top as well.

While it has a small cooking surface, it always helped me make a wonderful burger and if it didn't have that great bun toaster up top I would be severely disappointed. It works great!

The grill is pretty tough in all of the areas that use the typical plastic that the Foreman grills are made of, but the bun cooker top can be a bit flimsy at times.

The Champ Grill is just as easy to clean as the rest. Just wipe the external and cooking surfaces down and do the same for the bun toaster.

These are very easy to use with no switches or anything else to sully the experience.

Pretty good product but it could be better.

from Morganton, NC

Comments about George Foreman Champ Grill with Bun Warmer:

I have had mine for a while now and still occasionally use it. But even with the nonstick coating, sometimes things will stick and even burn on the griddle. Clean up is alot messier than what they want you to believe. I usually have to let mine soak overnight just to be able to get it clean. It does however eliminate alot of the grease that would normally just be soaked into the food so it is very healthy in that prospect.