Other Camcorders:

Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder

Pros

Cons

• Battery Life:

Easy to use hand-held camcorder. No comparison!

A great handheld video camcorder for short recordings.

Flip Video Features:

- Compact design
- Easy to use
- No additional software or tools...Read complete review

A great handheld video camcorder for short recordings.

Flip Video Features:

- Compact design
- Easy to use
- No additional software or tools required
- Software is built into the camera
- Holds 60 minutes of video
- Snap photos
- Make custom movies
- Save edited video to your camcorder or computer
- Instantly upload video to Myspace, YouTube, and more
- Includes cables that allow you to view video on your television
- Comes with a warranty
- Comes with registration and support

There is NO ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE to install with the Flip Video Camera. Before you use it for the first time, remove it from the box and flip the button on the left. This will release the USB arm that gets plugged into a USB port in your computer. When you insert it into your computer, all the software you need automatically downloads onto your computer. YOU DO NOTHING. The software contains everything you need to download, organize, edit, and share your Flip videos. (You will also charge your camcorder battery by inserting the arm into your USB port)

Battery Life
I tell everyone I know about the Flip Video Camera because it's just so easy to use. There's no set up involved. Just remove it from the box and start using! The battery holds a charge better than the larger camcorders and the editing possibilities are endless when you use the built-in software. A truly fantastic product.

This thing may be small, but it's tough. I toss it in my purse when we travel, the kids play with it to film stunts outside, and we have had no problem with it at all. No scratches on the lens or on the body itself.

I have never used a camcorder that I would describe as 'easy to use'. I am REALLY technically challenged, and cannot even operate my DVD player without help. But, I have no problem at all operating my Flip Video Camera. It is honestly one of the easiest electronic devices I have ever used. Plus it shoots crisp, clear video.

To operate the Flip Video Camera, there are no confusing buttons or setting that need to be adjusted. Simply turn on the camcorder and hit the red circular button to begin filming. There is a small screen that allows you to see exactly what you are filming. On the screen, you can see how long you have been filming and how much more space is available. The Flip Video Camera holds a total of 60 minutes of film. This can be one consecutive video or several short videos. When you're done filming, press the red circular button again. THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT!

Before owning my *Flip Video Camera*, I had previously owned two other big, bulky and confusing video recorders. I HATED having to operate them because it was such a hassle to charge the battery and lug the things around. But with the Flip Video Camera, you just plug it into the computer to charge and it's so small, it will fit right into your pocket!

Good for portability, not so much for longevity

I will say that I love the ease of use of this camera.  I love how it looks.  I love the video quality.  I love that it's portable (very portable).  But, it is not the type of camera you are going to want to document all of life's happenings with.  Let me tell you why.

First of all, the battery life is really not great.  When we got it shipped to us, it was already dead.  Like, so dead it wouldn't turn on.  It didn't even register in the computer when we went to 'charge it' and customer service was less than helpful.  They gave us a whole set of complicated stuff to try and things that would involve sitting by the computer at 30 min. intervals.  It was a bit ridiculous.  My husband and I decided to plug it in overnight and see what happened.  So, it eventually did charge.  However, when we first used it (and I'm talking about 4 min. of video), the bar had already started to go down indicating the battery was being drained (much more quickly than 4 min. worth of video should have done).  We have not had that problem since, but I still do not love the battery.  You can't use it while it charges and it still has (in our experience) less than an hour's worth of video recording time on the battery.

Second, it records in little clips.  For instance, at Christmas, we would record our daughter opening a present, stop recording, start again.  As far as I have found, there is no way to continue that recording.  The old cameras would simply pick up where you left off.  While I don't want that to always be the case (Christmas presents to say, a birthday), it would be nice to have the *option*, at least, to continue recording where it left off.  Instead we were left with about 15 little snippets of video.  This is great for small moments, but when our daughter is old enough for concerts at school, dance recitals, games, what have you, this won't be an optimal choice.

The zoom option is also not great.  The recording window is very small, so either you have to be very far away, or risk cutting off the tops of peoples' heads  (or record sideways, none of which is preferable).

All that being said, the sound quality is good, the video quality is **excellent**.  It is definitely a good quality HD camera.  It is *super* easy to use, very, very portable and sleek-looking.  It is simply not something I would pick as our "primary" camera.

Overall, I'd recommend this for sure.  The price is reasonable for the quality of video and it's easy and convenient.  However, if you're looking for something to film all those big (as in more than 15 min. of video) milestones, you might want to look elsewhere.

Not bad.

from Kansas

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

I received the Flip Video MinoHD 4 GB Camcorder as a gift a few years ago. It has ended up being a pretty handy camcorder throughout the years.

I like its small size because I can take it anywhere. It fits right in my pocket without any problems. You do not have to be technologically advanced to use the camera. You simply hit a button and point and shoot. My little cousin can use it without a problem. It holds 4GB worth of data. When you are ready to upload the video(s) you shoot you simply plug it into your computer with a USB. The video quality is not as high quality as a full size camcorder, obviously, but it does the job.

My complaints about this camera are the small screen and the poor battery life.

This is a simple camera that anyone can use. I recommend it.

This is a fairly good and simple camcorder. Of course it is not as good as a full size, but it still performs fine.

Battery Life
The battery life is pretty poor so you have to keep it on the charger if you are filming for the full 60 minutes. It has about 20 minutes of actual battery life.

This is small which makes it easy for on-the-go because you can take it anywhere. My only complaint about the design is the small size of the screen.

Easy and simple.

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

The Flip Video camera is a great little camera for quick use for home videos. It's small and simple to use, so it's great for people who just want to take videos of decent quality.

This video camera performs well for what it is. You won't get close to professional quality, but the videos look great. I've used it on vacations, for pets and kids, and for things like birthday parties, and the videos look really good.

Battery Life
The battery life is pretty good. It could be better, but I can usually get a few hours of recording time.

I'm not very hard on my camera, but I've never had an issue with durability. The camera doesn't feel very substantial, but it's been fine for me.

I find this camera to be very easy to use. There aren't a lot of buttons or settings. You basically just turn it on and press the record button.

I like the design of this camera. It's small enough to fit in a pocket, and the popout USB is a really great feature so you don't have to keep up with yet another cord.

Simple Camcorder

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

This little camcorder is a handy one to keep in your purse or bag for random occasions when you may want to record something without using up the memory space on your phone. It takes decent quality video but I would not rely on using it for really important events where you want top quality video such as a wedding or a graduation. It is a nice device to have with kids in the house and wanting to capture daily, weekly or monthly videos of every day things or maybe your new baby's progress and development to share with family. It does not have the ability to add storage capacity which means if you want to make sure you always have space for new video you need to transfer it to a computer or other storage device often, which for me is a downfall because I always forget to do so. The process of transferring video to your computer is very easy and user friendly though.

• Battery Life:

Battery no longer holds a charge

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

I picked up the Flip MinoHD several years ago for a wedding and only used it a handful of times before the battery died. When I first used this camera it worked well for the limited amount of time I recorded. It delivered an excellent picture and decent audio. When I tried using this camera for an extended amount of time I started to receive recording errors. When ever I recorded something for longer than 15 minutes it wouldn't save once I stopped recording. I tried updating the software, but the problem continued to happen. I decided to just shoot shorter videos to work around the problem, but I encountered another issue that I couldn't avoid. After not using the Flip for a couple of months I decided to shoot something, but it wouldn't power on. I let it charge over night and I was able to power it on in the morning, but it was only 50% charged. After each recharge the battery would become weaker until it couldn't hold a charge. I thought about purchasing another Flip MinoHD, but the company no longer offers support and discontinued the product.

• Battery Life:

Simple to use and convenient to take on the road

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

I wanted a small video recorder for the primary purpose of recording choreography rehearsals for my chorus. I also wanted to have something available to record memories like time with my nieces and nephews. This is the perfect camera for that. It records crisp images and is fairly easy to hold steady. It is also easy to turn on quickly to capture unexpected moments quickly. I love how easy it is to transfer files as well. Overall a great product if you are looking for an easy to use and portable camera.

Battery Life
The battery life lasts at least the three or so hours that I use it during chorus rehearsals. I'm pretty happy with it.

This has been tossed around, knocked off a stand and dropped and still works like a charm.

This is pretty much the easiest digital video camcorder out there. Basically all you do is turn it on and it is ready to go. No messing with a ton of settings, need to change anything up. Just flip on and use. About as easy as it gets. It is also extremely easy to get the video files transferred as well.

I love the sleek, small design.

Flip-tastic!!!!

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

I absolutely love the Flip-Video- Flip MinoHD Flash Media Camcorder! Even if you're not a tech savvy person, trust me, this is very easy! It's perfect for beginners and it's also portable. I usually throw this in my bag when I go out and go travel. The Flip video camcorder is a perfect way to capture a special moment!

• Battery Life:

Good camera for kids and technologically challenged.

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

This is a great camera depending on the demographic. Its no Iphone of course but its a great barebones simple option for people who want a individual camera for recording videos on the fly. I had one of these cameras before I had my phone and it did a great job. It was easy to use and straitforward. Although I'm fairly tech savvy I'm also lazy so this was a good choice. I do not believe for the price it is worthwhile in todays market but maybe if it was a little cheaper or the quality was better.

It was good, I did think it was a little slow as in when you move around or do things at fast speed its not amazing. I'd say its great for let say childrens plays and fairly low paced videos.

Battery Life
Good it has a charger built in and it lasts for hours.

Very strong, i've dropped it a few times and its scratched but its held up great.

Its great once you get to use it. The controls are not as intuitive as i'd like but once you know how to use it it becomes so simple. I gave mine to the kids once I got an Iphone and they use it. My parents who are of a older generation also use it without any problem.

Its simple and straitforward the newer models are thinner and superior but overall its good. I would like a bigger screen and more intuitive buttons but overall its a good camera.

• Battery Life:

Serves Its Sole Purpose, But...

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

While the product in question is the Flip Video MinoHD 1-hr (aka 4GB), my review’s based on firsthand experience with its 2-hrs counterpart- their only major difference being twice the memory and time capacity. Instead of purchasing it, I have the rare luxury of taking it out from my neighborhood library each week- using it over the past two months for acting class. I never had a technical problem with recording, deleting clips, or file-transferring to laptop- all that’s intuitively easy to figure out for anyone who’s ever used a digital camera. The pop-out USB latch is pretty nifty; the product's near cell-phone size makes it a truly portable and resourceful tool for the aspiring professional actor.

While I also don’t have any complaint on the sound or video quality, I wonder if that comes at the expense of more memory usage. Sharing clips just isn’t pleasant or efficient unless you have the MinoHD on you, a big enough flash drive, a DVD-RW (4.7 GB maximum), or are able to upload to Dropbox (complementary capacity of 2 to 3 GB) at fast Internet connection.

My only other issue has been with the product’s easily expended battery life even when recording for half the time allowed. It’d really make things a lot easier if a USB wall charger were included. Otherwise, you need to leave your MinoHD connected to the computer to not have to think about or remember to charge it for at least a couple of hours before the next time you use it. Doing this for less than an hour is something I’ve learned the hard way, with only enough juice to self-record for 30 to 45 minutes.

• Battery Life:

Great quality and so easy!

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

This is a great video camera to have. It is very easy to use, just press a button to turn it on and record. It's very easy to transfer video to your computer with the built in USB. The video quality is great, but with it being HD I hoped it would be a little better. Very portable and easy to carry.

Nice, small handheld unit

from Birmingham, AL

Comments about Flip Video - Flip MinoHD (4 GB) Flash Media Camcorder:

Pretty good for recording most things. For high-speed recording, you might want to get a higher quality unit, though.

Good enough for most people, just don't expect VERY high quality and you won't be let down.

Battery Life
Battery life is remarkable on this unit

Seems to be fairly rugged, but I've never dropped it and wouldn't want to. It doesn't seem like it has much "shock-protection" to it.

This is so easy to operate, anyone can do it.

Great design for what it does. It's very compact and easily fits into a pocket.